The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Tangent Tangent is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
The day after I read this thread, the kids who do the morning video announcements at the high school I teach in did a little "Gangnam style" bit to liven things up. Most of the kids in my class were familiar with it. The Asian kids were critiquing the dancers in the announcements as to which ones were doing it right. It was clearly already well on its way to becoming a big thing.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #102  
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
In the official video, is the person in the yellow suit a man or woman? I can't tell.

And of all the random things in the video, the dude in the elevator is the most WTF?! for me.
I read somewhere that both of those guys are big television stars who were invited to make cameos in the video.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 PM
YogSosoth YogSosoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I read somewhere that both of those guys are big television stars who were invited to make cameos in the video.
They're both comedians in Korea according to the wiki page. The girl at the end, Hyuna, is also kind of famous. Also really hot but I didn't need to tell you know
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
They're both comedians in Korea according to the wiki page. The girl at the end, Hyuna, is also kind of famous. Also really hot but I didn't need to tell you know
Yeah, already knew who Hyuna was - I like me some girl K-pop
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Nasty Nati
Posts: 14,817
Gangnam Style, West Point Version

Here's a funny video produced by West Point Cadets, their own version of Psy's "Gangnam Style". I remember some of the places on the campus from when I lived there as a kid when my Dad taught math there after Vietnam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa4RL...e&noredirect=1
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 AM
Cinnamon Imp Cinnamon Imp is offline
DramQueen
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Strathclyde, UK
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Hes a man, and the dude in the elevator is kind of cute. I love his smile - so mischievous.
Yup, pelvic-gyration man in the lift is my favourite too

Anyone know anything more about him?

Oh, and any more recommendations of toddler-friendly K-pop I could try? My 22 month old is addicted to "Op-op-op!" as she calls it
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
Yup, pelvic-gyration man in the lift is my favourite too

Anyone know anything more about him?

Oh, and any more recommendations of toddler-friendly K-pop I could try? My 22 month old is addicted to "Op-op-op!" as she calls it
His name is comedian Noh Hong Chul
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Hongchul


as for toddler friendly songs, most Kpop groups have inoffensive songs, but I can't think of one group which doesn't have at least one sexy filled song and music video, so you kinda have to search around. You can start here
http://blog.ningin.com/2011/09/25/11...st-kpop-songs/
11 of the Cutest KPOP Songs
this one on the list, DBSK’s ‘Balloons‘, is so cutsey sweet it makes my teeth hurt, LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-JEwfk2OQnQ
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Cinnamon Imp Cinnamon Imp is offline
DramQueen
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Strathclyde, UK
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
His name is comedian Noh Hong Chul
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Hongchul
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
as for toddler friendly songs, most Kpop groups have inoffensive songs, but I can't think of one group which doesn't have at least one sexy filled song and music video, so you kinda have to search around. You can start here http://blog.ningin.com/2011/09/25/11...st-kpop-songs/ 11 of the Cutest KPOP Songs
this one on the list, DBSK’s ‘Balloons‘, is so cutsey sweet it makes my teeth hurt, LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-JEwfk2OQnQ
Balloons, people dressed up as penguins, and Tigger too - perfect, thanks

Last edited by Cinnamon Imp; 10-15-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Anaamika Anaamika is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
What gets me is the fact that this video was unheard of when Mika first posted it here. Since then it's gone from maybe 50 million hits to over 400 million hits.

Care to offer up any lottery numbers, Mika?

How did you know this was going to take off?
Seriously. I wish I was that good!

Cinnamon Imp, you won't be thanking April R when your child requests the same song for the 37th time in a row!
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
My boyfriend's contribution: "I've seen a lot of Korean porn where the girl is getting pounded while calling the dude oppa."
Isn't that a bit like saying "Who's your daddy?"
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Time Stranger Time Stranger is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
This song was played at a redneck wedding in the middle of Alabama last week, and almost everyone knew what it was, including the grannies. The internet is such a weird thing.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
Oh, and any more recommendations of toddler-friendly K-pop I could try? My 22 month old is addicted to "Op-op-op!" as she calls it
Lollipop - a collaboration between boy-band Big Bang and girl-group 2NE1 is kinda cute.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM
HazelNutCoffee HazelNutCoffee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Isn't that a bit like saying "Who's your daddy?"
Yeah, I suppose it has similar connotations.

Noh Hong Chul annoys me to no end when I see him on comedy shows, but he's okay when he doesn't have to open his mouth.

As for toddler friendly Kpop songs, I think April R is right that most songs nowadays have weird sexy Lady Gaga-ish dances.

For a bit of Korean weirdness, here's a theme song about a car who gains strength when he smells flowers and is on a quest to find his mommy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VDMpDz1HfY
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
Yeah, I suppose it has similar connotations.

Noh Hong Chul annoys me to no end when I see him on comedy shows, but he's okay when he doesn't have to open his mouth.

As for toddler friendly Kpop songs, I think April R is right that most songs nowadays have weird sexy Lady Gaga-ish dances.

For a bit of Korean weirdness, here's a theme song about a car who gains strength when he smells flowers and is on a quest to find his mommy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VDMpDz1HfY
Interesting that the evil dude is a "round eyes."
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Lollipop - a collaboration between boy-band Big Bang and girl-group 2NE1 is kinda cute.
Ermagerd er lurv lurlurperp!!!

FYI it's actually a commercial for a cell phone, how weird is that?

Last edited by April R; 10-15-2012 at 09:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Irishman Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Too.. many... r's [head explodes]
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28,970
And "Gangnam Style" has become the second most-viewed YouTube video, with more than 620 million hits.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM
jackdavinci jackdavinci is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
This is one of those things which I'm aware of, am aware it's ridiculously popular for some reason, but don't understand why. I would blame it on South Park but they must have seen it somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Mitt Romney Style.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Namkcalb Namkcalb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
how much did Psy end up making from this hit?
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namkcalb View Post
how much did Psy end up making from this hit?
I'd guess a pretty penny.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
I'd guess a pretty jeon.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
This parody video cracks me up.

Deadpool vs. Gangnam Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-tW...endscreen&NR=1
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM
salinqmind salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
And "Gangnam Style" has become the second most-viewed YouTube video, with more than 620 million hits.
I can't link, but I think it is THE most viewed YouTube video ever, now.

I know a fat grandpa who is obsessed with this song and can dance it like he's been taking lessons for a month! You go, old dude!

Last edited by salinqmind; 11-09-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Tangent Tangent is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
This parody video cracks me up.

Deadpool vs. Gangnam Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-tW...endscreen&NR=1
I love it! Where was that filmed?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Rick Rick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
This parody video cracks me up.

Deadpool vs. Gangnam Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-tW...endscreen&NR=1
I'll see youi Deadpool and raise you Klingon Style
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28,970
Eton Style
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Mr. Me Mr. Me is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Minecraft Style
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
AaronX AaronX is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Now he's won best video at MTV (really MTV now, not MV) EMA. I wonder if this is the first non-English video to win?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28,970
Now I'm seeing T-shirts for sale on the streets of Bangkok with his cartoon likeness.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28,970
Seems Psy is coming to Bangkok to give a concert, and people are seriously asking if the guy has any other songs besides this one.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,517
I would be worried that this song is going to do for PSY's career what "Baby Got Back" did for Sir Mix-a-lot's.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Yorikke Yorikke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
When I first watched the video, around when the OP was made, I disliked it. The video was silly, but it was the song that I really disliked. The groove seemed... cheap, or not quite substantial enough. And I hate the higher pitched sequences before each big pause - they take me right out of the song. But it's grown on me. I just watched the whole thing again, and, while I still really hate the interludes, the groove is really nice [6]

Edit - 731 million views on YouTube. Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Last edited by Yorikke; 11-15-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
tanstaafl tanstaafl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,111
For you Big Trouble in Little China fans, I give you Lo Pan Style.

Apparently John Carpenter himself showed this at a film festival somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 30,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhomer View Post
When I first watched the video, around when the OP was made, I disliked it. The video was silly, but it was the song that I really disliked. The groove seemed... cheap, or not quite substantial enough.
I appreciate the song, but have long gotten sick of it. What I find interesting about it is that it sounds like a mash-up of all the dance music pop hit cliches of the last twenty or so years. I swear, I hear Technotronic in there, Who Let the Dogs Out, some Ricky Martin song, and a bunch of other dance hits that I can't quite put my finger on.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Cinnamon Imp Cinnamon Imp is offline
DramQueen
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Strathclyde, UK
Posts: 1,871
Ghostbuster Style - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...CKBdjywQ&gl=GB
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 30,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon Imp View Post
Now that is an example of a good mash-up.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
YogSosoth YogSosoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Update: Gangnam Style just passed 800 million views and is the #1 video on Youtube! About 100 of those views are mine....from the last month
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Yorikke Yorikke is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhomer View Post
Edit - 731 million views on YouTube. Jesus Tapdancing Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Update: Gangnam Style just passed 800 million views and is the #1 video on Youtube! About 100 of those views are mine....from the last month
Nine days between posts, 69 million views.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:39 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 30,461
So, will it be the first Youtube video to break a billion, or will it lose steam?
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Labtrash Labtrash is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Murrells Inlet, SC
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
So, will it be the first Youtube video to break a billion, or will it lose steam?


It was at 809 mil when I watched it last night.

It's at 815 mil now.

I say it'll make it.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM
Ashley Pomeroy Ashley Pomeroy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namkcalb View Post
how much did Psy end up making from this hit?
That's been a bone of contention. He probably made a lot of money from physical sales and official downloads, but Youtube is notoriously stingy when it comes to royalties. Pete Waterman, who wrote and produced "Never Gonna Give You Up", famously got a royalty cheque of £11 in 2009 for one hundred and forty million views of the song (and presumably Rick Astley got a tiny fraction of that).

In this case the Gangnam Style video is on Psy's official channel, so he might get more. The Guardian has an article on the topic here.
"Ellen Shipley, the co-writer (with a 50% share) of Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is a Place On Earth reported receiving $38.49 for the 2,118,200 streams the track had accumulated on YouTube in the last quarter. For the over 330,000 hits her 'N Sync track I Drive Myself Crazy had on the video site, she received $4.31. "I can't even buy a pizza for that," she pointed out."

Of course Psy has other means of bringing in revenues; songwriters who don't perform have it a lot harder. And Youtube-specific novelties like Rebecca Black or Tay Zonday (for example) probably get pennies. A shufty on the internet throws up lots of "how to earn $100,000 on Youtube" articles, with a list from 2009 of ten artists who earn more than that per year - mostly comedians - but they all seem very detail-free and a bit suspicious. Youtube is apparently going to have a net revenue of $1.1bn this year.

Last edited by Ashley Pomeroy; 11-25-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 AM
HazelNutCoffee HazelNutCoffee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I'm sure Psy has earned quite a tidy sum from all the Korean tv ads he's been hired to do after Gangnam Style hit the charts.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Maeglin Maeglin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I appreciate the song, but have long gotten sick of it. What I find interesting about it is that it sounds like a mash-up of all the dance music pop hit cliches of the last twenty or so years. I swear, I hear Technotronic in there, Who Let the Dogs Out, some Ricky Martin song, and a bunch of other dance hits that I can't quite put my finger on.
It looks and sounds like it was grown in a laboratory. I don't understand the hold it has over such a vast chunk of the human race. I'm probably never going to get it, but at least I was hoping to find some sort of explanation that would get me nodding my head and thinking, "ok, I don't care for it but I can sort of see why about a billion people might." My wife loves it, even my 2 year old autistic son loves to watch it and try to dance. I really feel like I am from another planet.

Last edited by Maeglin; 11-25-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 30,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeglin View Post
It looks and sounds like it was grown in a laboratory. I don't understand the hold it has over such a vast chunk of the human race. I'm probably never going to get it, but at least I was hoping to find some sort of explanation that would get me nodding my head and thinking, "ok, I don't care for it but I can sort of see why about a billion people might." My wife loves it, even my 2 year old autistic son loves to watch it and try to dance. I really feel like I am from another planet.
I have to say, though, it is an earworm. Just reading the title of this thread has the song's chorus looping endlessly in my head.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM
tanstaafl tanstaafl is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeglin View Post
It looks and sounds like it was grown in a laboratory. I don't understand the hold it has over such a vast chunk of the human race. I'm probably never going to get it, but at least I was hoping to find some sort of explanation that would get me nodding my head and thinking, "ok, I don't care for it but I can sort of see why about a billion people might." My wife loves it, even my 2 year old autistic son loves to watch it and try to dance. I really feel like I am from another planet.
Why "Gangnam Style" is Actually a Study in Mind Control

Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I'd ask again if this was over yet, but apparently it's not. Anyway I have some admiration for the guy. He shows something special in setting this dubious record, he's played his hand well. So congrats Psy, you're a thing. Better you than Bieber or Buble.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:38 PM
YogSosoth YogSosoth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
That's been a bone of contention. He probably made a lot of money from physical sales and official downloads, but Youtube is notoriously stingy when it comes to royalties. Pete Waterman, who wrote and produced "Never Gonna Give You Up", famously got a royalty cheque of £11 in 2009 for one hundred and forty million views of the song (and presumably Rick Astley got a tiny fraction of that).

In this case the Gangnam Style video is on Psy's official channel, so he might get more. The Guardian has an article on the topic here.
"Ellen Shipley, the co-writer (with a 50% share) of Belinda Carlisle's Heaven Is a Place On Earth reported receiving $38.49 for the 2,118,200 streams the track had accumulated on YouTube in the last quarter. For the over 330,000 hits her 'N Sync track I Drive Myself Crazy had on the video site, she received $4.31. "I can't even buy a pizza for that," she pointed out."

Of course Psy has other means of bringing in revenues; songwriters who don't perform have it a lot harder. And Youtube-specific novelties like Rebecca Black or Tay Zonday (for example) probably get pennies. A shufty on the internet throws up lots of "how to earn $100,000 on Youtube" articles, with a list from 2009 of ten artists who earn more than that per year - mostly comedians - but they all seem very detail-free and a bit suspicious. Youtube is apparently going to have a net revenue of $1.1bn this year.
Don't know how much its helping Psy, but its sent shares of his father's stock through the roof. His dad is the chairman of DI Corporation which makes computer parts for Samsung. Psy's fame sent shares of DI trading up 500%. I bet he's getting a pretty good Christmas present from dad this year!
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Una Persson Una Persson is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the dance floor.
Posts: 14,883
There's listening to the song and then there's dancing it. Psy is fairly easy to mimic and so it ends up being a song that packs the floor like "Cha Cha Slide" or "Cupid Shuffle." It'll even get the gay cowboys out doing it at my club, with their hats and boots and everything.

I watched the video about 10 times, but that was mainly to focus on and practice the dancing. And I bought it; it was only $0.50 on Amazon, why not?
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 28,970
I was walking through Siam Paragon last week, one of the largest shopping centers in Southeast Asia, if not the largest, and saw children doing that horse dance while following their parents.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.