The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Do people look at you askance because you like to read books?

Inspired by the book snob thread on the other side of the coin what negative reactions or just lack of understanding have people who are regular book readers come across?

I tend to have a book close to hand and have a quick read during any downtime, the advantage is that I have the reputation for being a lot more intelligent than I actually am, the disadvantage is that some people seem to think you're showing off by doing so. One colleague once asked me what I was reading and when I showed her the book (Goshawk Squadron by Derek Robinson, a fictional book about British WW1 fighter pilots) she sort of snorted and commented, "It's no wonder you're so weird" before walking off...if she thought that was a strange book to be reading I'm not sure how she'd react to the really off-the-wall stuff. I was surprised because she was a generally pleasant person otherwise.

Having a book at hand is also a good means of starting a conversation, even if someone isn't a book reader themselves the topic may interest them or just provide a hook to hinge a conversation on.

Of course the nature of the material you read makes a difference but my reading habits tend to be pretty conventional for a ruggedly handsome Irishman with piercing blue eyes and manly jawline like myself, namely military history, science fiction etc but I'll read pretty much anything if it crosses my path. (The Female Man by Joanna Russ was probably the most recent book out of my comfort zone that I've read)

As for non-book-readers, well I think they're missing out but each to their own, there are plenty of aspects of life which I don't find interesting but others do (most sport for one).

That post was a totally incoherent mess, hopefully my meaning is at least sort of clear.
Advertisements  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM

They did when I was a kid. I took so much shit because I always had a book with me, including "good-natured" teasing about it from most of the adults in my life. It's the reason that to this day I bristle whenever anyone asks me about a book I happen to be reading. When I was a kid, that question invariably led to, "You're so weird" or some variation thereof.

As an adult, though, nobody ever really says anything. Now that half the population (OK, not quite, but still) is carrying around a Kindle or other e-reader, it's not nearly as weird to always have a book with me. I might still get the occasional lifted eyebrow when someone realizes that I'm reading hard sci-fi or a nonfiction science book or something else not currently on the NY Times bestseller list or YA fiction (not that there's anything wrong with bestsellers or YA books; I've read my share of those too) but that's about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM

No, or if they do/did I never noticed because I would never care.

I was the kid who couldn't take a shower without reading every shampoo bottle. I read walking to school. I stayed up all night (my mom was very accommodating, she didn't care if we went to sleep so long as we were in our rooms and quiet by a certain time). I honestly think reading is the reason I have essentially zero interest in music.

Still, I don't go to a dinner party at a friends house without a book in my jacket in case everybody dies and I have to spend a quiet bit waiting for the police to arrive.

So, lots of opportunity but honestly don't recall anybody ever making an issue of it.

What I will often get is, when they learn what I'm reading, some version of "ok, but what do you read for fun." That's annoying.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Not since I was in high school. Variation on the theme: I was also a tabletop RPGer. It blew people's minds that I would spend my spare time doing something that so very intimately involved so many books.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Not anymore, but age and a reputation for eccentricity hath privileges. My recent public reading has been almost entirely history, biography, or science fiction. No one raises an eyebrow at a fiftyish man reading a book about Teddy Roosevelt.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

I live in Tennessee.

The answer, by the way, is Yes.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
They did when I was a kid. I took so much shit because I always had a book with me, including "good-natured" teasing about it from most of the adults in my life. It's the reason that to this day I bristle whenever anyone asks me about a book I happen to be reading. When I was a kid, that question invariably led to, "You're so weird" or some variation thereof.

As an adult, though, nobody ever really says anything. Now that half the population (OK, not quite, but still) is carrying around a Kindle or other e-reader, it's not nearly as weird to always have a book with me. I might still get the occasional lifted eyebrow when someone realizes that I'm reading hard sci-fi or a nonfiction science book or something else not currently on the NY Times bestseller list or YA fiction (not that there's anything wrong with bestsellers or YA books; I've read my share of those too) but that's about it.
Same here. Mom used to kick me out of the house to go play in the yard... and I'd bring a book. All my reading didn't exactly make me popular, but I got over it.

The eyebrow-lift response you describe is part of why I started that "snob" thread. I get a lot of "you're reading that for fun??" about my non-fiction choices, and a lot of people incredulous that I'm reading anything other than the latest bestselling fad.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

When I was young, my Old World grandmother who raised me told me that I was going to go crazy because I read too much but I have yet to go up a grassy knoll or into a crowded movie theater to shoot the place up. Yet.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Creature of the Night

Oh hell yes. Especially my in-laws. My husband and daughter and I were over at their house, some years ago, and everyone was entranced by the crap that was on TV. I dug one of the books out of my purse and started reading. MIL and FIL asked if I was just too good to watch TV. I said no, I just wasn't interested in most TV, and especially not whatever was currently on (a sitcom of some sort, with the typical idiot plot).

As a kid, I was considered weird because I liked reading so much that I'd do it in odd little snatches of time. I was considered ESPECIALLY weird because I read science fiction. Girls weren't supposed to like SF.

Quote:
Still, I don't go to a dinner party at a friends house without a book in my jacket in case everybody dies and I have to spend a quiet bit waiting for the police to arrive.
Before I got my nook, I always carried at least two and usually more paperbacks in my purse. Now I carry my nook and at least one paperback, because the nook might die on me. I will never understand people who go to a doctor's appointment and paw through the magazines and then complain that there's nothing interesting to read. Well, I paw through the magazines too, in case the doc has something interesting that I don't subscribe to, but I've also got my own reading material.

I'm very possessive of my nook. I thought that I'd hate it when my daughter gave it to me, but I've come to love it dearly. I still love dead tree books, but my nook has given me new ways to enjoy books. Alas, it's entirely too easy to buy ebooks.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Me? No, never.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM

For a while when I was young and attractive-ish. Got some grief from guys who couldn't imagine I would rather read the book I brought to the diner with me than be chatted up.

At 50, this is not longer a problem. Now I think I get pitying looks from people who think I must be a terribly lonely old thing. Takes away the pleasure of taking a book out to coffee when my husband is out of town. Now I stay at home with the cats mostly. Damn all this Iowa friendliness.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 PM

Not since I finished school, caught a lot of crap in a school where rugby and cricket were damn near religions. I was a real book-worm when I was a kid which lasted up until a few years ago when my reading dropped off a bit.

Since I got a Kindle its picked back up again.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 PM

Not anymore, but I grew up to be a librarian so it's kind of expected now.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askance View Post
Me? No, never.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Nope, never heard of such a thing.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM

I've only gotten comments if I'm reading in an odd place. Like reading while I'm walking or reading while I'm waiting in line for a roller coaster. I doubt I'd get any comments if I were texting while walking or texting while waiting in line for a roller coaster, though!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Thais generally think I'm weird because I'll be reading a book instead of staring vacantly into space. This is very much a country of nonreaders.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Not since elementary school.

Unless I'm reading pocket scores, though, in which case I suppose I probably deserve some ridicule.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM

Only from my asshole ex-boss, who was proud not only about not reading, but not thinking overly much.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM

No but they probably would do a double-take if I said "askance."

Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 AM

More when I was younger. The general negative reaction (when I get one) is "You read... for fun?"

I still get a bit of that nowadays, but the general tone is more of just head-shaking acceptance than anything else. I generally look at my co-workers who speak with quivering anticipation of their next trip to the gym to pump iron or to go out and play sports with a similar reaction. Both activities are, to me, at best a necessary commitment, something that I have to do because I am obligated to do so, while reading is something that is relaxing and fun for me. So I can understand how they feel that way, they're just geeks about different activities than I am.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 AM

I get a bit of askance looks for reading an actual paper book, when everyone knows that I should be reading an eBook nowadays.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 AM

I think I started reading for fun in the fifth grade. My parents made us read every night from 6-6:30~45 or later 7-8ish as long back as I can remember. I doubt it was that long in the younger years but there was always reading time, didn't matter what you read as long as you were reading. Everyone has always had a book. I find it weird when I see or hear of people not reading. I do not think anyone in my family has gone to college for more than 2 years, and only a couple that did that, so I do tend to scoff at people that use an education to exlpain why they read. I remember having to explain to my teacher in highschool why I carried Carlos Castenada books with me(ok, I was kinda high probably) but they would never see me reading the assigned books. It usually ended up I would read them in a few days and by the time the test came around I would either have to re-read the book or just wing it.

That done I ride public transportation to work every day. I am encouraged on how many books I see. I look askance at people that are not reading. Luckily I will report I see about a third of people on average with their noses in books while riding the train.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 AM

On a related note, when it was *really* popular to hate on people for reading Twilight and what not, I felt the need to point out... they're *reading*. Twilight today, the Silmarillion tomorrow, or something like that. Gotta start somewhere.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM

I don't get askance looks although I do get a lot of lack of acknowledgement that I AM reading as opposed to being available for conversation. I can work at my desk for hours and not be interrupted but the minute I pull out my kindle for lunch time, it's apparently chat time.

I am told I shouldn't complain because I could leave for lunch and not be bothered but I keep holding out hope that I can just take my lunch at my desk and be left alone. Yes, I realize it's hopeless.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Go Browns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
I was the kid who couldn't take a shower without reading every shampoo bottle. I read walking to school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
Same here. Mom used to kick me out of the house to go play in the yard... and I'd bring a book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Like reading while I'm walking or reading while I'm waiting in line for a roller coaster.
How I love you all.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 AM

"Books are stupid." "I can't understand how you can read all the time, I don't have that kind of brain." Dunno if it's made them think I'm any smarter though (probably not). Though admittedly if I had one of those fancy new phones I might be fiddling with that instead (or reading something on it, more likely).
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM

Occasionally, though it's very rare now. I do still get the lifted eyebrow, as someone else said, about fantasy and sci-fi, and there is a woman in my office who once said, "I DON'T READ" in the loudest, most disapproving voice possible when someone else asked her.

It also helps that I have a great deal of self-confidence now. Honey Badger just don't give a shit. Judge me, don't judge me, I'll keep right on reading, tyvm.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM

I packed a book in my lunchbox this morning.

If someone did give me funny looks I never noticed. Too busy reading.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM

I take something with me when I'm going to be waiting. If it might be a long wait I take both a book and a Sunday crossword puzzle. Usually the book is a Math/Science non-fiction book. Most recently Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory by Ian Stewart.

And I get weird looks.

I don't get it. These other people just sit there. Don't read (there's magazines around), don't play on their phones, nothing. They just stare into space (or at me). And I get the weird looks.

Of the course the staff of the office are always asking me about crossword puzzles, why I do them, etc. Not so interested in the books, pretty used to those I guess. They are, if you pardon the term, puzzled by me liking to solve puzzles.

Now, if I started up a conversation with them about the Kardashians, that would be "normal".
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
And I get weird looks.

I don't get it. These other people just sit there. Don't read (there's magazines around), don't play on their phones, nothing. They just stare into space (or at me). And I get the weird looks.

The TV! It drives me crazy that every waiting room I go to there just has to be a huge TV for people to sit and stare at, slack-jawed. Can't we just shut it off and have quiet for a while? People can entertain themselves in other ways.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

I'm a little dumbfounded by the question. No, because I don't hang around with 10-year-old bullies.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I'm a little dumbfounded by the question. No, because I don't hang around with 10-year-old bullies.
This. Although the cat gives me a nasty look from time to time.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I wear cargo shorts when I can, typically suburban dad that I am. I *always* have something to read in one of the side pockets - a book I am reading, my Kindle, a section of the NY Times folded up - something.

I find I pull the reading material out all the time - and the folks I am around tend to say "damn, I wish I had thought of that"...
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey84 View Post
This. Although the cat gives me a nasty look from time to time.
Cats are legally obligated to give humans a nasty look from time to time. It's in their contract, if they don't do this they have their Cat Card suspended or even revoked.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Personally I've tended to find that 10-year-old bullies don't grow into decent well-rounded adults, they're still bullies but usually just hide it better because its a little less socially acceptable behaviour in a supposed adult.

Its rare for someone to be outright rude like the woman I mentioned in my OP but its definitely not common for someone to have a book close at hand whenever possible. In my experience at least.

If you read a lot some (many?) people tend to think you're just showing off, I turned off a facebook app where I would list my current read because of the smart comments I was getting, most light-hearted but some very much not so.

Although for a single shining moment I was ahead of the cool curve by being one of the first people to own a kindle, people used to ask about it with genuine interest, now every common schmoe has one...
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM

I remember getting some comments, ranging from incredulous to nasty, occasionally, but they pretty much slid off, and I don't remember what they were exactly.

ftg: So how is 'Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory by Ian Stewart' ? it sounds interesting.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM

I have to wonder where you guys live that you're getting this.

Although I was once talking to my ex-boss about packing for vacations. I tend to pack a lot, and have a ginormous suitcase that's usually packed to the gills. ex-boss said that she'd just shove a sarong in her purse and go. She asked what all I packed, and I mentioned books, among other things. "Books?!? What do you need with books?!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio107 View Post
Unless I'm reading pocket scores, though, in which case I suppose I probably deserve some ridicule.
Yeah, that got me a few odd looks. I used to do that all the time.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Rhombus View Post
"Books are stupid." "I can't understand how you can read all the time, I don't have that kind of brain." Dunno if it's made them think I'm any smarter though (probably not). Though admittedly if I had one of those fancy new phones I might be fiddling with that instead (or reading something on it, more likely).
One of the first things I did when I got a smartphone was find a good e-book reader. In fact, I use my phone for that function (or as a music player when walking or driving) more than I do the Internet connectivity.

Last edited by Seanette; 08-22-2012 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: added a few words so sentence read better
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Maybe I'm completely oblivious, but I have never in my life gotten a weird stare for reading a book or doing a crossword or whatever. Never. In all the cities I've lived in, it was commonplace to read while commuting on your bus/subway/tram/etc. It would never occur to me that anyone would find this odd.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM

I don't think anyone has ever looked at me askance for reading books. People are interested sometimes, and I'll chat about it.

In a waiting room, I can read, watch TV, or sit quietly with my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Maybe I'm completely oblivious, but I have never in my life gotten a weird stare for reading a book or doing a crossword or whatever. Never. In all the cities I've lived in, it was commonplace to read while commuting on your bus/subway/tram/etc. It would never occur to me that anyone would find this odd.
Yeah, it sounds weird to me, as well.

Last edited by jsgoddess; 08-22-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
How I love you all.
Ha! I just read those same bits to my wife.

Speaking of which, one of the first things I learned about my wife that enamored me of her was that - like me - her grade school teachers searched her bag every day for contraband fiction. Today is our 25th anniversary (woo hoo!) and we still carry books with us everywhere.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Creature of the Night

Ha. I used to get grounded from recreational reading. I was allowed to read textbooks and other schoolwork, but NO RECREATIONAL READING. Especially science fiction. I didn't watch much TV, I almost never talked on the phone, and my parents almost never allowed us kids to go out without them anyway. So they had to ground me from reading.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM

No. I suspect this only comes up when people are reading at times that others are being sociable and reading is like putting a book in front of your face and saying "I do NOT want to talk to you." Which is fine if that's the impression you want to give, but don't complain if they call you on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
Oh hell yes. Especially my in-laws. My husband and daughter and I were over at their house, some years ago, and everyone was entranced by the crap that was on TV. I dug one of the books out of my purse and started reading. MIL and FIL asked if I was just too good to watch TV. I said no, I just wasn't interested in most TV, and especially not whatever was currently on (a sitcom of some sort, with the typical idiot plot).
That's really rather rude. Their question and your response both. Though, did they really ask if you were too good to watch TV or is that just your parsing after many years have passed?

I mean, sometimes you'll watch crappy TV as a group because it's something you can talk over in the quiet bits and make comments about - it doesn't have to all be "watch this and focus on nothing else ever!" But your book? That's just for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post

Although I was once talking to my ex-boss about packing for vacations. I tend to pack a lot, and have a ginormous suitcase that's usually packed to the gills. ex-boss said that she'd just shove a sarong in her purse and go. She asked what all I packed, and I mentioned books, among other things. "Books?!? What do you need with books?!?"
Well, depends on the holidays she's used to. I've often heard of people taking books on holidays - I mean, there's the whole airport novel phenomenon - but when I'm on holiday it's to see new things and spend time with my loved ones. And I read a lot by any standards. So I used to pack books but they'd always come back unread because I had too many other things to do.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Hahaaa! Love Rhombus actually had someone say, "Books are stupid". WTF??
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Obligatory Bill Hicks quote:

"I was in Nashville, Tennessee last weekend and after the show I went to a waffle house and I'm sitting there and I'm eating and reading a book. I don't know anybody, I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book. This waitress comes over to me (mocks chewing gum) : "what you readin' for?"... Wow, I've never been asked that. Not "What am I reading ?", "What am I reading for?" Well, goddamnit, you stumped me. I guess I read for a lot of reasons — the main one is so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress. Yeah, that would be pretty high on the list.
Then this trucker in the booth next to me gets up, stands over me and says "Weeell, looks like we got ourselves a readah". What the fuck's goin' on ?! It's like I walked into a Klan rally in a Boy George costume or something. Am I stepping out of some intellectual closet here ? I read, there, I said it. I feel better."
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
I KNOW, right?! I hate that.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I'm with you. Never ever have I gotten a weird look because I was reading, or had a negative comment if I bring up a book in conversation. These days, a lot of people on the train are looking at their phones, but plenty are reading their e-readers or regular books. It's pretty normal behavior and no one blinks at it.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Nope
Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 AM

Never. I was really weird as a kid so me constantly reading was the most "normal" thing about me. When in the military I had a reputation as the guy always reading, but it wasn't in a mocking manner. Now that I'm in college, and a history major at that, it's pretty expected. Sometimes my friends in the sciences will be shocked that I read so much because they don't have to.

I did laugh when one of my friends, and engineer, told me that a couple of his other engineer buddies was in one of my history classes and dropped once they found out that they needed to read five books in ten weeks. I laughed and said that the reading load is on par with other history classes. And I take three of them a quarter.