Mike & Mike

It has aired 10-1 the last couple of days. Is it live, or on tape? Was it displaced by tennis?

It’s taped. The radio broadcast is going out at the regular time.

Now that the OP has been answered, here are my opinions on the show. I’ve been listening to them for many years now. In NY, they’re the only true morning options, unless you want to hear the NY-centric morning crew of the FAN (which is partially a Howard Stern wannabe show). ESPN’s resources, in general, allow for far more insite into everything sports. I’m surprised the FAN is still in business.

In any case, Greenberg is portrayed/marketed as the intelligent bookworm-ish sports guy while Golic is portrayed/marketed as the dumb jock with some specific knowledge of football and locker rooms. I kind of fell in line with that thinking for years, as annoying as I found Greenie’s voice to be. I still don’t think he has a voice for radio, although he sounds much better since they shifted to FM in NY.

However, now I find Golic to be far more competent and reasoned about all sports analysis than Greenie. Greenie’s opinions are sometimes far too “fringy”, if you know what I mean. Sure, they still play out the act, but Golic is definitely the MVP on that show. I’ve listened for them so long now that I would never want to get rid of either of them. They’re kind of like family, with Greenie being the Fredo to Golic’s Michael.

I wonder if anyone else agrees with me. I also wonder if Golic has just changed and worked at getting better, or if I was just fooled by the marketing portrayal of him.

I used to listen to them, but I just can’t stand either one anymore. Together, they form almost one completely competent voice when it comes to pro football. Beyond that, they don’t know a damned thing about sports. The perfect example is when they attempt to answer Jason Stark’s weekly baseball quiz - they can barely logic out a small portion of the answer before showing their complete ignorance. Sports radio is a complete wasteland these days.

It’s the only sports talk show I like.

One of the main reasons is that every other show I’ve heard feels entirely dishonest. Either they say things to be “entertaining” or to create controversy or to push some agenda.

Greenberg seems honest because he is so (often undeservedly) proud of himself for all his ideas. Golic seems honest because he just doesn’t care enough not to be.

ESPN radio in New York is mostly national shows when last I checked, that may have something to do with it. I know 1050 AM has local hosts during the afternoon, but Mike Francessa has been around forever and I’m sure his ratings are fine. I’d be curious how the 2 stations do head-to-head.

And I agree that Craig Carton makes WFAN in the morning perhaps the least listenable show in sports radio. Jesus, the guy never shuts up and never say anything interesting or funny.

I used to listen to the Steve Czaban show when it was on here in Cincinnati a few years ago. I absolutely loved that show, it was hilarious. It got unceremoniously cancelled in favor of STEVEN A FUCKING SMITH, whom I loathe.

Then ESPN bought my local affiliate and now I get Mike and Mike. While I don’t like them as much as the Czabe show, they are still pretty good and have grown on me. They sure have a shitload of commercials though. Colin Cowherd I can take or leave, but I also like the Scott Van Pelt show. He and Rusillo are pretty damn funny in their own right.

I used to love M&M and listen every morning when it was carried by a local station here. Then we lost our ESPN radio affiliate, so I had to go a year or more without them. Then about two years ago I got satellite radio and tried listening to them again… and didn’t last for more than a week.

Not because I don’t like them, but OMG the commercials. It was like, 7- or 8-minute commercial segments intercut with 5-minute Mike and Mike segments. I only have a 35-minute commute and I was getting 20 minutes of commercials. I couldn’t stand it anymore!

I’d rather listen to a commercial than Jim Rome. Fuck that guy.

Don’t make me smack you down, Clone; War RNATB is a poopyhead.

You are dead to me. Dead.

:smiley:

I’m not much of a fan either…but before ESPN bought our AM sports channel 1530, Fox owned it and Rome was always on for my commute home. And I’ve kinda always lived by the mantra that “some sports talk is better than NONE” no matter who’s show it is.

And while Rome is an ingratiating, smug and smarmy prick, he can be *occasionally *funny or insightful.

You go Jim “Don’t call me Chris” Everett

Mike and Mike are fine when they’re not leaning on the schtick too hard. On the other hand, I think Stephen A. Smith records a few hours of cliche-ridden blather in a single day in March and they just re-edit it the same stuff into a different order for the next 12 months.

Dan Patrick’s pretty good, Mike & Mike and DP overlap on my late morning commute, though some of Dan’s frat boy underlings grate on me. Patrick’s rarely concealed hate for ESPN “The Mothership” is always a hoot when he has reason to harp on them about something.

I’ve been listening for years too. Greenberg’s schtick is old. They both are smart enough to carry the show without leaning on the “greenie is a wuss” and “golic is dumb” thing. I am not sure who finds that funny… It never was to me.

I don’t know. I think its evolved a little. Greenberg is more esoteric and fancy, Golic is more of a “man’s man” and apparently likes grilled meat (rather than Greenie’s grilled eggplant surprise). I think the dynamic works okay. The fact that Greenie is an undying fan of the Jets is funny. His team sucks and their coach is a douchebag. His convolutions trying to defend the franchise is a pretty funny theme.

I like the show despite its shortcomings. It is what it is…a commercialized product.

If the OP is asking about TV broadcast, it’s still being shown at it’s normal time and channel, 6am - 10am on ESPN2. Recently they started rebroadcasting it from 10am - 2pm on ESPNews, I would assume to cater to the West coast.

I detest Craig Carton–I have fantasies of opening his skull to take a shit in it, only to find that it’s already got as much shit in it as it can hold. What I’m really tired of, though, is Skip Bayless’s schtick. I’d adopt Carton as my son before I’d listen to Bayless for ten minutes. Just looking at his fucking face–that mean-old-man, smug and redundant, repressed homicidal maniac face–without him saying a word makes me want to nominate Stephen A. Smith for a Nobel Peace Prize, and I think Smith’s a braying jackass.