The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 PM

"Oracle America Inc" (juckeck.exe)

My son's laptop had a recurring notification purporting to be a Java update from "Oracle America Inc." DUH!!!!! Not Oracle Corp, not Sun Microsystems. They ought to get their ass sued by the real Oracle for distributing malware. I am sick of fixing my son's computer. I know we're not supposed to post while drinking but this is an extenuating circumstance.

Edited to fix typo: jucheck.exe

Last edited by ratatoskK; 09-05-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Oh, hell. I've been getting that, and letting it run. Damn, damn, damn!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm doing a Google search on jucheck.exe (and "Oracle America Inc") and it appears to be a legitimate program.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Pretty sure "Oracle America Inc" is just the American division of Oracle:
http://investing.businessweek.com/re...rivcapId=34903
Note that under "key executives" is
Mr. William Vass
President of Sun Microsystems Federal Inc and Chief Operating Officer of Sun Microsystems
Federal Inc

EDIT:
And when you expand the details:
Quote:
Oracle America, Inc. was formerly known as Sun Microsystems Inc. and changed its name to Oracle America, Inc. in January 2010.

Last edited by Revtim; 09-05-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Yeah, it's probably legit. But you should still uninstall Java completely if you don't need it, and the chances that you do are slim.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
on january 27, 2010, sun was acquired by oracle corporation for us$7.4 billion, based on an agreement signed on april 20, 2009.[3] the following month, sun microsystems, inc. Was merged with oracle usa, inc. To become oracle america, inc.[4]
lmgtfy.

Last edited by kushiel; 09-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: why yes, snarky poster missed revtim's post
Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Java was recently updated. If he plays browser games, he'll be devastated that you removed it
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 AM

It does seem suspicious, and It always popped up right after I get the TWEAK REPAIR ENHANCE PROTECT(what that tfun is that annoying thing, it's a trojan i bet ) pop up.

I never accept the TREP, but I did approve the jucheck.exe with some trepidation after trying to google bad news about it, Didnt find any....
Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM

The odd thing was, the directory where jucheck.exe was, did not have any of the usual java files. Also, when did this "Oracle America Inc" come into being? They were always Oracle Corp.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 PM

p.s. -- The jucheck.exe on my PC is signed by Sun Microsystems. The one on my son's laptop was signed by "Oracle America Inc." We both have Win 7.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
Also, when did this "Oracle America Inc" come into being? They were always Oracle Corp.
See posts #4 and #6 of this very thread.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerunknown View Post
Java was recently updated. If he plays browser games, he'll be devastated that you removed it
In my experience, the majority of browser games are Flash; in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Java-based game.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM

I've been getting the same thing from "Oracle America, Inc".

I'm not an expert at this, but from my experiences with spammers and trojans they will often make it appear to be a legit download/program by using a valid respectable product name. It's hard to tell if it's the real thing or not but sometimes you can tell by the icon. On the Oracle update I've been getting it has a question mark icon and they put the java coffee cup in there to make it look legit. It just looked fishy to me.

Then I found this sight - Straight Dope - when I googled Oracle America, Inc. I'm not taking any chances, too many bogus ones have ruined my computers. I'm not running it.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshannon View Post

I'm not an expert at this, but from my experiences with spammers and trojans they will often make it appear to be a legit download/program by using a valid respectable product name. It's hard to tell if it's the real thing or not but sometimes you can tell by the icon. On the Oracle update I've been getting it has a question mark icon and they put the java coffee cup in there to make it look legit. It just looked fishy to me.

Then I found this sight - Straight Dope - when I googled Oracle America, Inc. I'm not taking any chances, too many bogus ones have ruined my computers. I'm not running it.
If you're not going to update java, you should definitely uninstall it. I don't know if what you have is legitimate or not (it's probably really a legitimate java installation that legitimately wants to be updated), but if it is for real, the update is probably fixing multiple security issues.

If you don't update it and don't uninstall it, you're leaving yourself open to security threats.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshannon View Post

First, Oracle bought Sun, and so now owns Java. Second, Oracle is multi-national, and due to export controls it makes sense for Java upgrades going to the US to come from Oracle America.
The message popped up on your screen, right? No email? If malware is installed on your computer, it won't need your permission to load new stuff. Are you equally suspicious of all the Adobe upgrade messages you get?
Finally, as RitterSport said, there were security issues with Java, which is why we are getting more visible and insistent upgrade messages.
The only downside is that there are more annoying messages during the process than is usually the case.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
First, Oracle bought Sun, and so now owns Java. Second, Oracle is multi-national, and due to export controls it makes sense for Java upgrades going to the US to come from Oracle America.
The message popped up on your screen, right? No email? If malware is installed on your computer, it won't need your permission to load new stuff. Are you equally suspicious of all the Adobe upgrade messages you get?
Finally, as RitterSport said, there were security issues with Java, which is why we are getting more visible and insistent upgrade messages.
The only downside is that there are more annoying messages during the process than is usually the case.
The real downside is that there are more opportunities to forget to unclick the "Install the Ask toolbar", risking that annoying piece of junkware taking over all of your browsers.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM

The only way to be sure is to uninstall it, then go to the Java website and download the latest.
Or nuke it from orbit.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshannon
You are taking a bigger chance by not running it. 80% of spyware infections come through old versions of either Java or Adobe Reader, so by not updating, you are exposing yourself to more risk of being infected.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:17 PM

I'm having a similar problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Ooh, this is nasty! I went to my control panel, selected "Uninstall Programs," my program directory came up, there is a line for "Java 7 Update 17," publisher "Oracle" -- and I can't uninstall it! When I try, it runs for a couple of seconds and then I get the message: "Do you want to allow the following program to update software on your computer?" It seems they have this thing rigged so you can't uninstall it without authorizing reinfection!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

It's not a toomah.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM

When trying to google jucheck.exe I saw many claims made that there are fake versions of this pop-up that are not signed by Oracle America Inc. which will try to install malware.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Ooh, this is nasty! I went to my control panel, selected "Uninstall Programs," my program directory came up, there is a line for "Java 7 Update 17," publisher "Oracle" -- and I can't uninstall it! When I try, it runs for a couple of seconds and then I get the message: "Do you want to allow the following program to update software on your computer?" It seems they have this thing rigged so you can't uninstall it without authorizing reinfection!
On advice of Fear Itself I tried Revo uninstaller, uninstalled all traces (so far as I can tell) of everything "Java" or "Oracle," but the problem remains.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
On advice of Fear Itself I tried Revo uninstaller, uninstalled all traces (so far as I can tell) of everything "Java" or "Oracle," but the problem remains.
What are the current symptoms of your "Java" infection?

Last edited by Fear Itself; 04-23-2013 at 05:51 AM..
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael63129 View Post
In my experience, the majority of browser games are Flash; in fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Java-based game.
I'm guessing Minecraft. That's the reason I have Java installed on all my home computers. And why I am a hero to my boys and their friends. Yay me.

Last edited by Princhester; 04-23-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoskK View Post
My son's laptop had a recurring notification purporting to be a Java update from "Oracle America Inc." DUH!!!!! Not Oracle Corp, not Sun Microsystems. They ought to get their ass sued by the real Oracle for distributing malware. I am sick of fixing my son's computer. I know we're not supposed to post while drinking but this is an extenuating circumstance.

Edited to fix typo: jucheck.exe
How do we keep this company's pop ups from popping up. I get them all the time and have grown weary of pushing the no button? They seem to have a whole line of probably useless programs that they are trying to sell to the uninitiated.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy425 View Post
How do we keep this company's pop ups from popping up. I get them all the time and have grown weary of pushing the no button? They seem to have a whole line of probably useless programs that they are trying to sell to the uninitiated.
Did you read the rest of the thread?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM

Yeah, read the thread. If you aren't going to update it, then you should uninstall Java, but that will break any applications you run that need it.