The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraiel View Post
Now if I'd just made that prediction before the announcement, I'd look like a fucking genius.

I don't read any media about the show before hand, but I've no way to prove it.

Pleased in my own sphere, still.
Oh, I only posted the link to confirm your suspicion. Not in any way to claim that you'd already read it online. If it looked that way then it wasn't my intention.
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

No buzz about Tuesday's show?

My thoughts: Gemma is going bat-shit insane (or even more bat-shit insane), and seems to be trying her damndest to be the biggest PITA she can be. I guess since she isn't "Queen" anymore, she's feeling kind of lost.

I really liked how Jax put her in her place, said something like, "I'm burying my best friend today. Your need to be loved and adored is pretty low on my to-do list."

At Church, it seemed to me that the cameras lingered a bit on the "new guys," the Nomad transfers, as Jax was laying out the Club's woes and the need to play along with Pope until opportunity presents itself to get out from under him or otherwise turn the tables on him. But I didn't see them give anything away, expression-wise. Maybe that's a message in and of itself.

And my damned allergies started acting up during Op's funeral. Damned allergies.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I had no allergies during the funeral. So many shows manipulate the viewer with the sappy music (sappy does not necessarily equal bad) that it now has the opposite effect. Otherwise the season is rocking.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM

As these seasons begin to pile up, I'm getting angrier and angrier at how the writers are finding new ways to keep Clay around.

When Gemma found out about Opie and said, "what's happening to us?" I actually yelled at the TV - "CLAY!! CLAY IS HAPPENING TO YOU!!"

Everything SAMCRO is dealing with is ultimately Clay's doing. Get the deal done with the Irish and kill him off already.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I felt sad, but the music was a tad overdone, yes. I miss Op from season 1. Somewhere along the way his hair started to annoy me.

I've always admired Gemma, but this season she just seems batshit. I don't know how I feel about Tara. She seems so brittle nowadays. I am a bit surprised at her total lack of sympathy for Wendy. Maybe if Wendy stopped slathering on makeup by the bottle, Tara would show more sisterly love.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelNutCoffee View Post
I felt sad, but the music was a tad overdone, yes. I miss Op from season 1. Somewhere along the way his hair started to annoy me.

I've always admired Gemma, but this season she just seems batshit. I don't know how I feel about Tara. She seems so brittle nowadays. I am a bit surprised at her total lack of sympathy for Wendy. Maybe if Wendy stopped slathering on makeup by the bottle, Tara would show more sisterly love.
Tara is insane if she thinks she'd legitimately win a custody battle. She'd only win if the club threatened Wendy and or the Judge.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I had no allergies during the funeral. So many shows manipulate the viewer with the sappy music (sappy does not necessarily equal bad) that it now has the opposite effect. Otherwise the season is rocking.
Yeah. I sometimes have a soft, gooey center where such things are concerned. I pretty much can't listen to Amazing Grace on pipes w/o getting misty eyed.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gemma is not taking her loss of status as "Queen" gracefully. If you look at the show as Game of Throne filtered through violent, blue-collar, lower-class outlaw bikers, it makes a lot more sense.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Greg the Peg's actor is an actual amputee.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Tell me that wasn't Walton Goggins having way too much fun.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
Tell me that wasn't Walton Goggins having way too much fun.
Too cool! End credits verify that was Shane/Boyd with a bodacious titty-suit. All I can figure is that he lost a bet with Sutter or one of those guys. Did you notice how the guys couldn't keep a straight face? I love those breaks in an otherwise serious show. Must have been srunt week or something.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM

After last night, I'm convinced that it's Clay behind the home invasions, using the new guys who voiced their objections at church.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Too cool! End credits verify that was Shane/Boyd with a bodacious titty-suit. All I can figure is that he lost a bet with Sutter or one of those guys. Did you notice how the guys couldn't keep a straight face? I love those breaks in an otherwise serious show. Must have been srunt week or something.
It was Walton's idea.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 AM

Ep 6.

I was wrong, wrong, wrong, mister! about Clay facilitating the home invasions. I was right about it being the nomads from the start. We'll call it a wash, shall we?

I'm wondering how the nomad prez is going to present.

Otherwise, it was a tremendous mid-season episode. The plot can go any of seven or eight ways, and can be believable whichever is chosen.

I'm thoroughly pleased with the season to date.

And I want it to end with Chibs killing everyone. [/joking]...

[/not really]
Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Can someone fill me in on the last five minutes? My DVR cut out early! The last scene I got was Gemma sitting at the bar after the old cop told her off.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Can someone fill me in on the last five minutes? My DVR cut out early! The last scene I got was Gemma sitting at the bar after the old cop told her off.
Reader's Digest version:

Clay was dropped off at home by Juice. Once Juice left he removed his oxygen tank, went in and knocked the shit out of one of the nomads and yelled that they weren't supposed to kill the sheriff's wife.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambro View Post
Reader's Digest version:

Clay was dropped off at home by Juice. Once Juice left he removed his oxygen tank, went in and knocked the shit out of one of the nomads and yelled that they weren't supposed to kill the sheriff's wife.
- Thank you for the recap.

- Oh crap! I knew that miserable bastard was behind all this!

The deal went down with the Irish - why doesn't Jax just off this guy already?!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Ok so ... WHY is Clay doing this?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear77 View Post
Ok so ... WHY is Clay doing this?
To make Jax look weak.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 AM

I wonder how Clay convinced the nomads to help him. I understand they might be more loyal to him than Jax, but beating up innocent people to make the current president look bad seems pretty extreme.

Also why is Juice so far up Clay's ass this season? I always thought he was more on Jax's side.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Just watched the last episode on DVR. Really, really impressed with this season so far. It has not had the lag and drag I felt when they went to Ireland in the past season.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Oh my Og!!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 PM

I was happy that Jax listened to Nero and decided to go easy on his mom. He even got Tara to go along with it...

Now this.

Fuck.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Oh, Gemma. I'm really curious where they'll end up with her this season. So far she has lost just about everything that matters to her and we see the self-destructive behavior when she isn't grounded in "family". I'm not so sure it really is family that ground her, I think it is power and being able to manipulate people - something she is not doing successfully anymore.

So who were the blacks (using the show's term, don't pile on me!) at the end? Happened so quickly that if there was a recognizable face under the mask I missed who it was. Or was it just meant to imply Pope was behind it? Do you think Clay set that up too in order to build up his story that Pope is trying to burn the entire table?

I thought for sure Clay was going to put a bullet in Unser's head, either at the point of entry or afterwards when they were talking. Very well done scene, so tense!

And Juicey... c'mon man, step up and SPEAK brother! I've always liked Juice but I have a feeling he is going down in all of this. Him being an informant earlier and how deep he is getting while helping Clay...

And how exactly does The Soup's Joel McHale end up with a cameo?!?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I wonder how Clay convinced the nomads to help him. I understand they might be more loyal to him than Jax, but beating up innocent people to make the current president look bad seems pretty extreme.

Also why is Juice so far up Clay's ass this season? I always thought he was more on Jax's side.

Now we know.....he promised them a cut of the action once he became club president again......looks like that's not gonna happen.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM

Why did Gemma crash? Was she stoned?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Gemma had been smoking weed at Unser's when Tara called her to watch Abel and Thomas.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Regarding Juice-both Sutter and Rossi have said Juice isn't necessarily the sharpest tool in the drawer. I think he is pretty easily manipulated and got really lucky last season that his shit didn't hit the fan.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Luna View Post
Regarding Juice-both Sutter and Rossi have said Juice isn't necessarily the sharpest tool in the drawer. I think he is pretty easily manipulated and got really lucky last season that his shit didn't hit the fan.
I have a feeling that all of that is about to come back and bite Juice in the ass. The preview for next week showed Roosevelt talking to Jax and offering up an informant and then it cuts to a scene of a brother on his knees with a gun to the back of his head.

This season is fucking awesome so far. I am scared to death that Abel has died in the car crash. He wasn't crying or moving, there was a huge tree limb that looked to be on top of him, and then they show the blood dropping (pretty quickly) onto the other part of the wreck. If Abel dies...fuck, I don't know but it will be extreme.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Now we know.....he promised them a cut of the action once he became club president again......looks like that's not gonna happen.
Never was going to happen. Same sort of thing would have happened to them. Clay don't share. He kills his close friends regularly. He would kill Jax if he could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambro View Post
I have a feeling that all of that is about to come back and bite Juice in the ass. The preview for next week showed Roosevelt talking to Jax and offering up an informant and then it cuts to a scene of a brother on his knees with a gun to the back of his head.

This season is fucking awesome so far. I am scared to death that Abel has died in the car crash. He wasn't crying or moving, there was a huge tree limb that looked to be on top of him, and then they show the blood dropping (pretty quickly) onto the other part of the wreck. If Abel dies...fuck, I don't know but it will be extreme.
That is the final straw for me. Too manipulative. I won't watch anymore unless the kid survives mostly unharmed. He's bleeding enough to be dead in minutes. I almost stopped watching when they kidnapped him. Yeah, evil blows back on innocent kids, but I don't find it entertaining.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone View Post
Never was going to happen. Same sort of thing would have happened to them. Clay don't share. He kills his close friends regularly. He would kill Jax if he could.

That is the final straw for me. Too manipulative. I won't watch anymore unless the kid survives mostly unharmed. He's bleeding enough to be dead in minutes. I almost stopped watching when they kidnapped him. Yeah, evil blows back on innocent kids, but I don't find it entertaining.
I suspect that he will survive but they are going to use this as a catalyst for Wendy really pushing for custody. Just a SWAG though. But it seems to me that Sutter wouldn't have spent so much time in the earlier episodes of the season pulling Wendy back into the show to then just remove her one and only connection to anything by having Abel die.

Last edited by Bambro; 10-24-2012 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: I meant the not to and her not the
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Just think that it is a really shitty thing to do to a kid, even if he is fictional.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Luna View Post
Even a rock would start questioning Clay at this point.

He looked like he wanted to spill it when they came in to say that the Nomads had been killed.

"Clay asked me to watch until these guys showed up at Unser's. And then he tells me to leave when they get there. How did he know they were gonna show up there today?? And then they got shot!"
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just think that it is a really shitty thing to do to a kid, even if he is fictional.
And this is why kids in film and TV are usually nigh-immortal.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 AM

Does pot make you sleepy? I still don't get why Gemma crashed. It looked as if she was dozing off. IME people who are high drive really slowly and carefully, they don't fall asleep at the wheel. The whole thing seems manipulative and unnecessary.

Someone jog my memory - did Jax tell Tara that Clay had tried to kill her?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does pot make you sleepy? I still don't get why Gemma crashed. It looked as if she was dozing off. IME people who are high drive really slowly and carefully, they don't fall asleep at the wheel. The whole thing seems manipulative and unnecessary.

Someone jog my memory - did Jax tell Tara that Clay had tried to kill her?
I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure Gemma told her.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Dressage Queen

Quote:
I have to say, TSS, that that was my first thought after the last episode. (Well, really, it was my second thought. My first thought was, "Oh holy fuck, did I really see that?!?" ) I think, however, that we're going to learn that Abel had a nasty head wound that bled a lot but that he didn't die. That said, just thinking out loud about other possible scenarios:

If Abel dies, Tara will kill Gemma, if Gemma doesn't kill herself first. Does Tara go to jail? Or does Unser/the club/Pope/somebody with connections clean it all up?

Regardless of whether Abel lives or dies, Gemma now will be cast out and ultimately will kill herself, either with pills, a gun or through reckless behavior. Not much different than how she's been behaving all season. IMHO, Gemma's days are numbered.

Now I'm wondering that, if Abel does die, would his death serve to set up some weird sort of "complete the circle" idea, a reprise of the idea of Gemma's first son dying and Jax, the second son, having to carry all her love and compulsions for the remainer of her life? Jax's first son will have died and Thomas, the second son, will get to carry the burden, handed down from generation to generation. A sins of the fathers kind of thing.

Possible but too banal, IMO: Abel is severely injured. We go through several tense episodes waiting to learn, finally, that he'll live. Wendy now has plenty of ammo to fight for custody. If so, so what? The tension of that seems pretty thin compared to everything else that's been going on so far this season.

I'm almost afraid to watch next week's episode.

Last edited by jayrey; 10-26-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 AM

http://cartermatt.com/38353/sons-of-...nded-episodes/

Quote:
In a recent video, Sutter explained that episode 9 (which you can find a bit more about here) is going to be 75 minutes long; in addition to that, every episode moving forward from there is going to be 90 minutes long.
Woohoo!

Extended episodes the rest of the season.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM

I feel like a cheerleader here each week, running in waving pom-pons about how good this season is so far! Haha.

From the previews, when they kept showing someone on their knees with the samcro patch, and as the episode played out I was convinced we were going to see Juice killed for being an informer. Juice is probably the one character I feel the most empathy towards. A part of me knows his days are probably numbered and confessing to Clay was just one more bone-numbingly stupid thing he has done. I can't help but hoping though that somehow he will be instrumental in bringing Clay down and escape getting killed.

Also, no way Gemma delivers on Clay. She is far to broken inside - she needs people like Clay to fill that emptiness inside her and be her partner in plots and manipulation and secrets. She is always looking for any angle to gain advantage and I don't see her being a compliant pawn in this plan of Jax.

Speaking of Jax and plans, here is a plan Jax. With all those times you are alone with Clay and all that you know about him and what he has done, just shoot the son of a bitch. I mean seriously, think about all the shit Clay has done to Jax starting with murdering his father. Just. Shoot. Him.

Anyway, for the first time this season I got a little trepidation on the previews for next week. Frankie has mob protection? C'mon, do we need another illegal organization on this show thrown into the mix?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 AM

I'm starting to get fed up with this show. I'm a huge fan but this whole Clay thing just keeps going in circles with no explanation. Last season Jax needed to keep Clay alive for the gun deal with the Irish. Well, that deal's done, so why hasn't Jax killed Clay? It makes no sense. Now all of a sudden Jax has a new plan to prove that Clay was behind the Nomad home invasions? He told Tara that if he proves it, then they can put it to a vote to oust Clay and kill him.......

Great. Just great. Another "plan" that will take up an entire season (or two) only to have it fall apart at the end because something else will happen.

I'm getting really tired of running in circles with this show.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

That was like watching 24 last night. There was too much going on. And I finally felt manipulated over the whole car crash with Gemma thing. It went all haywire and back too quickly. I'd like to see more club stuff that didn't focus on the Clay dilemma. More Nero would be nice.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM

Why is Juice so bloody stupid?

Also, I can't take Frankie seriously. His facial hair is ridiculous.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Why is Juice so bloody stupid?

Because someone needs to be or the plot won't go anywhere.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Just don't tell that to the actor's (Chuck Zito) face. He was in the Hells Angels for 25 years, was a professional body guard for some pretty big name celebrities, and has a black belt in Karate.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRacer View Post
Just don't tell that to the actor's (Chuck Zito) face. He was in the Hells Angels for 25 years, was a professional body guard for some pretty big name celebrities, and has a black belt in Karate.
In other words he's as scummy as his character.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to get fed up with this show. I'm a huge fan but this whole Clay thing just keeps going in circles with no explanation. Last season Jax needed to keep Clay alive for the gun deal with the Irish. Well, that deal's done, so why hasn't Jax killed Clay? It makes no sense. Now all of a sudden Jax has a new plan to prove that Clay was behind the Nomad home invasions? He told Tara that if he proves it, then they can put it to a vote to oust Clay and kill him.......

Great. Just great. Another "plan" that will take up an entire season (or two) only to have it fall apart at the end because something else will happen.

I'm getting really tired of running in circles with this show.
I can't defend many of the show's implausibilities and other unlikely machinations, but Jax can't just kill another, very senior member of the gang without backing from a vote brought to the table. He does that, and then none of the members can be sure if/when he's just going to up and kill them, and every internal power struggle gets bloody. The whole gang is supposed to be built on trust and brotherhood; you don't just kill another member without consensus - that's the kind of stuff that led to Clay's (and the club's) downward spiral.

Last edited by voltaire; 11-02-2012 at 03:25 AM..
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM

What the hell was that Tara masturbating scene about. Why is she turned on by Luann's perfume? The whole thing seemed pretty creepy.

So what do you think Jax is going to do to Juice? Force him to spy on Clay? Kick him out of the club? Execute him outright?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
What the hell was that Tara masturbating scene about. Why is she turned on by Luann's perfume? The whole thing seemed pretty creepy.
LOL! She wasn't masturbating and she wasn't turned on by the perfume. She brought that perfume to tug at Otto's heartstrings and try to get him to come back around to the club with some fond memories. It was Otto who wanted to catch a whiff of femininity and feel her touch while *he* masturbated himself.

The whole thing took her by surprise, and I'm sure she wasn't thrilled by it, but she took one for the team, and let him get his rocks off while she stood there caressing his (big) head.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 AM

I meant after she got home. She took out Luann's perfume, applied it on her own wrist, sniffed it, and started touching herself.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Yes, she did that right after she got out of the shower and while she was looking in the mirror. Very strange. Unless she now finds herself attracted to Otto. < shocked >