The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM

So on to the knockout rounds (though it might just be me )

Team Adam

Jocelyn vs. Kayla: Kinda bummed about that one. Jocelyn is very good in that pop belter way that bores me to tears, but I liked Kayla.

Joe vs. Bryan: Pretty unimpressed with both, actually. Everything I Do, Bryan? Really?

Amanda vs. Michelle: They both kicked all kindsa ass, but Amanda is undeniable and good on her for skipping the VH1 Divas Collection.

Loren vs. Nicole: You're shitting me here, right? Loren has a lovely voice (albeit not as lovely as Nicole's (even considering Nicole's potential lounge-iness and oh my god they're making me multiply parenthisize)), but "You Know that I'm No Good" isn't "sultry,", it's filthy; it's a three and a half minute grudge-fuck, and Loren sang it like, well... a wedding singer. Hurt my feelings, it did.

Melanie and Sam: On the whole I prefer Sam, but I thought that Melanie did a nice (if predictable, so far she's pretty one-trick) job with that song, whereas Sam over-emoted like he thought he was on Glee. What the hell was that about?

Team Cee-Lo

Avery vs. Cody: Whoa. Sometimes lambs don't slaughter easy. Avery choked, quite nearly literally, and that's fine with me because as soon as the pairing was announced I realized that while I think Avery is a tremendously talented kid, I'm way more interested in seeing more of Cody. And Cody killed it. Go Bam Bam!

MacKenzie vs. Daniel: He's Bourg. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. Cool with it, Daniel has a lovely tone to his voice when he's on key, which is sadly rare, and I was always just a little worried he was gonna pee himself.

Terisa vs. Trevin: I simply can't not root for this kid (even though I'm kinda hoping he's actually a manipulative evil genius). Sorry Terisa, it doesn't mean you're not fantastic.

Mycle vs. Nicholas: Nicholas is pure badass. No contest. I know he can't win, but I want him around for every possible second.

Caitlin vs. Diego: Caitlin honey, if this was Project Runway we'd be talking about your questionable taste level. You have a great voice, now go home and listen to something less Evanescency, will ya? And Diego, I've seen Jamar. I watched Jamar. You're no Jamar, sir. Also, get some big boy pants. Feh on both of you.

Team Christina

Devin vs. Laura: Whatever. I don't love Devyn's voice and her face bugs me. Laura was clearly cannon fodder, did we even see her prior to this?

Adrianavs. Celica: See above, replace names.

Alessandra vs. Dez: I just realized that I'd confused Alessandra and Adriana and was only able to differentiate Dez because he looks the least like Lea Michelle.

Chevonne vs. De'Borah: I really wish she hadn't paired them against each other, since neither of them looks remotely like Lea Michelle. I liked both performances, but De'Borah is clearly the superior singer, if not performer.

Aquile vs. Sylvia: A little surprised there, I('ve always) thought that Aquile is boring, but I thought that Sylvia was a hot mess on that song.

Team Blake

Gracia vs. Liz: Wrong. Just wrong. Liz is boring and generic and needs to look into pants. Blake seemed personally betrayed by Gracia's choice of a non-country song.

Rudy vs. Terry: Terry's voice is a thing of beauty and wonder. Seriously, what a glorious clear perfect tenor that man has. I loved his teammate's reactions backstage. Perhaps Rudy and Avery will teach the children that making NBC pay Chris Brown royalties makes the baby Jesus cry and gets you sent home.

Colin vs. Michaela: Colin's manic energy makes me uncomfortable, and I love Michaela even if she does look like Hot Topic threw up on her.

Julio vs. MarissaAnn: Seriously? Whatever. I admittedly don't love fifteen year olds doing Lady Marmalade, but she killed it.

Casadee vs. Suzanna: Huh. Something about Cassadee's voice is appealing to me, but she lacks breath control and I think her attitude is a bit stank. I actually don't love Suzanna's voice, but that song choice killed her and whoever did her hair should be shot. My friend took one look at her and screamed "THASS RACIST!!!"

Why is Cee Lo dressed to do a root canal?
Advertisements  
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Watched Monday's show, but not Tuesday's yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Team Adam

Jocelyn vs. Kayla: Kinda bummed about that one. Jocelyn is very good in that pop belter way that bores me to tears, but I liked Kayla.
I wasn't thrilled with either song, but I liked Jocelyn's voice better.

Quote:
Joe vs. Bryan: Pretty unimpressed with both, actually. Everything I Do, Bryan? Really?
Joe had originality in his choice and performance, but there's something in his voice that I don't care for.

Quote:
Amanda vs. Michelle: They both kicked all kindsa ass, but Amanda is undeniable and good on her for skipping the VH1 Divas Collection.
Both killed it. Michelle has an amazing voice. Amanda gets it on style.

Quote:
Loren vs. Nicole: You're shitting me here, right? Loren has a lovely voice (albeit not as lovely as Nicole's (even considering Nicole's potential lounge-iness and oh my god they're making me multiply parenthisize)), but "You Know that I'm No Good" isn't "sultry,", it's filthy; it's a three and a half minute grudge-fuck, and Loren sang it like, well... a wedding singer. Hurt my feelings, it did.
I think Loren won on the power of the finish and the surprise factor. Nicole has been consistently strong, and she delivered as expected. Loren came out of nowhere. On those performances, I go with Loren, but on consistency Nicole has been better.

Quote:
Melanie and Sam: On the whole I prefer Sam, but I thought that Melanie did a nice (if predictable, so far she's pretty one-trick) job with that song, whereas Sam over-emoted like he thought he was on Glee. What the hell was that about?
I agree. I think Melanie could get on the radio, but I'm not all that big on quirky. Sam has a great tone if he can pronounce right, but holy shit he was constipated. And lose the dam sock-hat.
Quote:
Team Cee-Lo

Avery vs. Cody: Whoa. Sometimes lambs don't slaughter easy. Avery choked, quite nearly literally, and that's fine with me because as soon as the pairing was announced I realized that while I think Avery is a tremendously talented kid, I'm way more interested in seeing more of Cody. And Cody killed it. Go Bam Bam!
Avery is better than that performance, but I'm not disappointed. He tried so hard to be everything that he put too much into the dance and missed the singing part. Whereas Cody is the country George Michael, and he really poured it out in that song. Holy shit. Definite win to Cody. And talk about a declaration.

Quote:
MacKenzie vs. Daniel: He's Bourg. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. Cool with it, Daniel has a lovely tone to his voice when he's on key, which is sadly rare, and I was always just a little worried he was gonna pee himself.
OMG that's funny!

Quote:
Terisa vs. Trevin: I simply can't not root for this kid (even though I'm kinda hoping he's actually a manipulative evil genius). Sorry Terisa, it doesn't mean you're not fantastic.
Terisa was spectacular. Too bad she was against Trevin. Trevin won because he's young, which means he's got a lot of room to develop, and he's already that good.

Quote:
Mycle vs. Nicholas: Nicholas is pure badass. No contest. I know he can't win, but I want him around for every possible second.
Both were smooth and styling. I didn't care for Nicholas's song choice, but he is Mr Smooth.

Quote:
Caitlin vs. Diego: Caitlin honey, if this was Project Runway we'd be talking about your questionable taste level. You have a great voice, now go home and listen to something less Evanescency, will ya? And Diego, I've seen Jamar. I watched Jamar. You're no Jamar, sir. Also, get some big boy pants. Feh on both of you.
I immediately pegged Evanscence for her, even though she looks more like Katy Perry. She would have been better suited to do something where she didn't sound quite so like the original. And she seemed a little pitchy to me. Don't care for Diego. He had energy and excitement, but I'm meh about him.

And even though we're at least seeing performances from everyone now, I'm still not liking the editing for time.

What happened on that part of Caitlin's song? Did she flub that line, or was that an editing glitch?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Watched Tuesday's show. Some thoughts...

Christina tried variety the last couple seasons, and that didn't really work for her, so this season she's decided to stick with her strong point, pop stars. And so she's heavy-loaded her team with a lot of similar sounding mostly women. She has a strategy for these rounds in pairings that let the most similar really work to stand out.

Quote:
Team Christina

Devin vs. Laura: Whatever. I don't love Devyn's voice and her face bugs me. Laura was clearly cannon fodder, did we even see her prior to this?
Nope, she was montaged in both the Blind Auditions and the Battle Rounds. Not very fair to her. Laura did well, but I liked Devyn better.

Quote:
Adriana vs. Celica: See above, replace names.
Celica is another one who was montaged out. Just listened to a couple of the online recordings, and they're pretty good. Adriana won it.

Quote:
Alessandra vs. Dez: I just realized that I'd confused Alessandra and Adriana and was only able to differentiate Dez because he looks the least like Lea Michelle.
Trying to remember this one. Dez was pretty smooth.

Quote:
Chevonne vs. De'Borah: I really wish she hadn't paired them against each other, since neither of them looks remotely like Lea Michelle. I liked both performances, but De'Borah is clearly the superior singer, if not performer.
I think Chevonne's song choice hurt her here. She was rocking it out hard and really dancing to the beat. And unlike Avery from the other night, she was still singing it well. De'Borah just had a better song and did more with it.

Nice call out on Cee Lo.

Quote:
Aquile vs. Sylvia: A little surprised there, I('ve always) thought that Aquile is boring, but I thought that Sylvia was a hot mess on that song.
Aquile was okay with his tone and delivery, but his "ya's" were distracting me. Most of his "you"s came out "ya"s. I liked Sylvia's performance.

Quote:
Team Blake

Gracia vs. Liz: Wrong. Just wrong. Liz is boring and generic and needs to look into pants. Blake seemed personally betrayed by Gracia's choice of a non-country song.
I'm totally okay with Liz not wearing any pants. Ever. I thought she had a powerful delivery of the song. Gracia did a good job making over the Aerosmith song with a country feel, but I agree that it hurt Blake's impression of her. He decided that meant that she didn't have a clear idea of who she is as an artist. I thought she was going for a country makeover and was successful.

Quote:
Rudy vs. Terry: Terry's voice is a thing of beauty and wonder. Seriously, what a glorious clear perfect tenor that man has. I loved his teammate's reactions backstage. Perhaps Rudy and Avery will teach the children that making NBC pay Chris Brown royalties makes the baby Jesus cry and gets you sent home.
Rudy's song choice: that's a song? I couldn't pick out the rhythm or melody. WTF? But then Chris Brown is stuff I immediately switch the station when it comes on. And "double your pleasure, double your fun" - what, is this a doublemint commercial? Terry is just awesome. I expect him in the finals.

Quote:
Colin vs. Michaela: Colin's manic energy makes me uncomfortable, and I love Michaela even if she does look like Hot Topic threw up on her.
Colin was good, and I thought I heard pitch breaks in Michaela's performance. But "Love is a Battlefield" is a good choice, and I've been hoping someone would pull out some Pat Benetar.

Quote:
Julio vs. MarissaAnn: Seriously? Whatever. I admittedly don't love fifteen year olds doing Lady Marmalade, but she killed it.
What the fuck was Blake smoking here? MarissaAnn's performance kicked Julio in the crotch. He should have been carried out on a stretcher. He had one good strong note that he did well, but the rest of his performance was meh and his song was Justin fucking Beiber. MarissaAnn was all over that performance and worked the stage like a magician. And then Blake said they were pretty even? And then picked Julio because he had more invested in him. Once again, we're graced with Bad-choice Blake.

Julio won't win this thing. His voice has is very Richie Valens. It isn't smooth or elegant, and it isn't raspy and gritty. His accent is thick enough to hamper his singing. I thought Blake wanted to win.

Quote:
Casadee vs. Suzanna: Huh. Something about Cassadee's voice is appealing to me, but she lacks breath control and I think her attitude is a bit stank. I actually don't love Suzanna's voice, but that song choice killed her and whoever did her hair should be shot. My friend took one look at her and screamed "THASS RACIST!!!"
Casadee was a bit off at first, but overall did okay. But Suzanna did not pick well on song choice. She went with a laid-back Bob Marley song when she should have been belting out a power ballad or some other showcase song.

Okay, now we get to the live shows. Yippee. Let's see if Blake's bad judgement and Cee Lo's lousy song choices offset each other like last year.

And we're now going to get 3 nights a week of show? Is it 2 hour eps each the first 2? Jesus, I do have other TV I want to watch and/or record.

Last edited by Irishman; 11-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: gripe
Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 AM

After the first night night of the live rounds with Blake's and Adam's teams, the people I was rooting for didn't do very well.

Terry McDermott sounded like he was trying so hard to sing the song technically, it didn't have very much emotion. I really liked him in the knock-out round. I was totally rooting for him.

Bryan Keith was disappointing also. It wasn't bad; it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I agree with the coaches that the two standouts were Michaela and Amanda Brown, with Amanda as the clear leader. I liked Amanda less in the knock-out rounds, but she was still good.

I wasn't sure how to feel about Julio's song. I liked the singing, but since it was all in spanish, I don't know if the emotions went with the words.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 AM

I thought Julio's song was mesmerizing. You could tell he was much more comfortable with that song than the one he did last week.

What was with CeeLo's "hair" and pirate shirt? Just too bizarre.

Going to watch the performances again and give my take later. Be interesting to see who has the audience support.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Terry McDermott sounded like he was trying so hard to sing the song technically, it didn't have very much emotion. I really liked him in the knock-out round. I was totally rooting for him.
I feel like that performance could have been amazing if they'd taken it down half a key. He just seemed uncomfortable, and he strikes me as an unlikely candidate for a sudden bout of crippling nerves, although of course that's possible.

I wasn't blown away by any of the performances, and once again we're being subjected to some pretty questionable song choices. I fast-forwarded over the talky bits, did the judges or the contestants choose in this round?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I feel like that performance could have been amazing if they'd taken it down half a key. He just seemed uncomfortable, and he strikes me as an unlikely candidate for a sudden bout of crippling nerves, although of course that's possible.

I wasn't blown away by any of the performances, and once again we're being subjected to some pretty questionable song choices. I fast-forwarded over the talky bits, did the judges or the contestants choose in this round?
This season, the judges were inconsistent about who chose the song. From the intro., it sounded like Blake picked that song for Terry, and Terry wasn't all that comfortable about it. It sounded like Blake picked the songs for his team, but some of them had some input.

Blake keeps talking about his strategy of having a singer in each different genre so the audience doesn't split the vote on his team members. For those members that he clearly pigeonholed as representing a specific genre, he seemed to have clearly picked for them. He wanted Liz Davis to be country, so he chose for her. He wanted Terry to be rock, so he chose for him.

It looked like Blake wanted to eliminate the chance of a singer like Gracia picking something that didn't work into his strategy.

It sounded like Adam didn't pick any songs for his team, and Amanda was very excited about her song choice. I think that made a difference.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Watched last night's show. My rundown.

Was something wrong with my TV set? Because the first two up were Jocelyn Rivera and Terry McDermott, and the coachs were all applauding them both for how clear and on pitch they were, but I thought both seemed a little off.

Team Adam:

Amanda Brown is the breakout performer so far, clearly the best of the night and her best performance so far. She has shown versatility, power, and emotion, and a great style.

Loren Allred was second in my mind. She gave a great show, really worked the song and the stage, and may have been better than her previous stunner. And I agree, put in some more upper register.

I think the rest of Team Adam was a bit lackluster. Jocelyn Rivera gave an okay performance, seemed a little off on a note or two, and nothing stand out or unique. Bryan Keith had a great Blind Audition, but I'm over him now and just thought he was meh. Melanie Martinez did her rendition of "Hit the Road, Jack", which was true to her personal style and sound. She did fine with it, but there's something about her voice that doesn't gel with me. If forced, I'd pick her over Jocelyn or Bryan, but I'd rather save the third Team Adam slot for one of Blake's competitors.

Team Blake:

Michaela Page had a great performance, probably her best so far. She may have been tops for Team Blake this round. She really had great stage presence, too. And the lyric choice puts a little twist on "everybody talks", with a girl singing lead.

Liz Davis was pretty evenly matched in my mind with Michaela. Even though I don't follow country, she has an authentic sound, she does powerhouse well, and she delivered on this more ballady tune. And DianaG can be happy, she wore a long dress tonight that covered her legs.

Cassadee Pope came in number 3 to me. She did fairly well on that Avril song, though I'm really happy with Blake's advice. "People get really attached to the melodies on songs and really notice when it doesn't match." Or something like that. Absolutely. She varied a couple points, but mostly kept it and did pretty well.

This is where it gets rough. Credit where credit is due, Julio sang that song well - he had power and notes and emotion. But it was in Spanish, which means it's hard for me to connect, and it's fucking mariachi music, which is like wailing cats. If I was forced to pick between listening to mariachi or gansta rap, I'd probably get the rapper to shoot me. The only way it could be worse is mariachi music with a bagpipe. So, even though Julio had a great tone with this song, I hate mariachi and don't think he can win with it, and his pop music sounds like ass. Plus, I'm still ticked that Blake picked him in the Battle Round, where he clearly lost. Bad-choice Blake strikes again. But the audience seemed to really like his performance, which is bad news for Terry McDermott.

Because Terry seemed to have an off night. Maybe it was the key being down have a step, or what, but he just wasn't on. I really like Terry and was expecting better. But it feels like he was number five on performances last night, which means he will have a tough time going forward. I'd pick him over Julio and Cassadee, but on past performances not last night. Last night I still give him an edge over Julio, by song choice, because fucking mariachi.

Quote:
Yes, he seemed uncomfortable, and I think that affected his performance overall.

Quote:
It's a mix. Blake seemed to pick for his team members, Adam seems to have had a mix.

Quote:
Blake keeps talking about his strategy of having a singer in each different genre so the audience doesn't split the vote on his team members. For those members that he clearly pigeonholed as representing a specific genre, he seemed to have clearly picked for them. He wanted Liz Davis to be country, so he chose for her. He wanted Terry to be rock, so he chose for him.
Yes, Blake seems to be channeling his team this year. When Gracia took a rock song to make a country version, it didn't fit his perception, so he interpreted that as her being unclear who she is as an artist.

We'll see how America responds.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Was something wrong with my TV set? Because the first two up were Jocelyn Rivera and Terry McDermott, and the coachs were all applauding them both for how clear and on pitch they were, but I thought both seemed a little off.
I was wondering that too except I wasn't wondering about the TV. I was just wondering if the coaches and I were hearing the same thing. When Christina was talking about how effortless Terry's performance was and how she didn't have to worry that he would hit the notes, I wondered if she was thinking about his last performance. For the live round, I was mostly wondering if he would hit the notes, and I didn't think he did at the end.

I watched the show again and I'll have to say that I'm more pleased with Bryan's performance than I was before. When I first watched it, I was more listening than watching intently. When I watched it again, I saw that he really had this great enjoyment of the moment that Christina picked up on. I liked that.

From Adam's team, I hope Amanda and Bryan make it.

From Blake's team, I hope that Terry makes it.

I like the new rule I've been reading about that there doesn't need to be a singer from every coach that makes the final round. It's unfair to be beat out by other people on your own team when another coach's team isn't as good.

We'll see how it goes Wednesday night, but so far, I haven't been impressed with anyone on Christina's team. I hope that Trevin and Nicholas give great performances from Cee Lo's team.

I have to harp again on the poor editing. They showed all of Nicole's performance, but Nicole lost to Loren. They didn't show any of Loren's performances. The coaches seem to think that Loren's performance in the knock-outs was a lot better than her previous performances. It would be nice to have been able to see the previous performances to see if that surprise performance was really predictable or whether she's really inconsistent. I think the audience might vote differently depending on those prior performances. They might either think she improved a lot or they might think she is very inconsistent. But there's not information either way because of the poor editing.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I was wondering that too except I wasn't wondering about the TV.
I'm sorry I didn't put a rolleyes there. No, I was not seriously questioning my tv.

Quote:
I like the new rule I've been reading about that there doesn't need to be a singer from every coach that makes the final round. It's unfair to be beat out by other people on your own team when another coach's team isn't as good.
If so, hurray!

Quote:
I have to harp again on the poor editing. They showed all of Nicole's performance, but Nicole lost to Loren. They didn't show any of Loren's performances. ... They might either think she improved a lot or they might think she is very inconsistent. But there's not information either way because of the poor editing.
Agreed.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 AM

For the live rounds with Cee Lo and Christina's teams, I liked Trevin, Nicholas and Cody. Sylvia had a nice moment, but I'm not a fan. Dez singing a country song didn't make sense to me. Poor Diego, he got stuck with a song he obviously didn't like and couldn't get excited about.

Trevin and Nicholas cleaned up nice, and they both gave great performances. They weren't as spectacular as Amanda, but expectations were high for them.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 AM

The remaining 12 were named tonight. I won't say who they were since people might still want to see it. I'll say that America's choices seemed pretty obvious to me, and the coaches were left with tough decisions.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
The remaining 12 were named tonight. I won't say who they were since people might still want to see it. I'll say that America's choices seemed pretty obvious to me, and the coaches were left with tough decisions.
I agree except for the people's choice for Cee Lo's team.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 AM

I was so pleasantly surprised by the audience vote for Cee Lo's team, and I was also very pleased with his save.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I was so pleasantly surprised by the audience vote for Cee Lo's team, and I was also very pleased with his save.
Yep, I'm very happy with America's vote and Cee Lo's.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM

First, watching the second night of playoffs, I was impressed that there were no bad performances. There were a few song style choices that aren't my taste, but all the performances were good and no major errors. Adriana Louise singing "Firework" started a little soft, so soft it didn't seem her microphone was on, but she got good stuff before the end.

Cody Belew singing George Michael was stellar - and I called that at the blind audition.

De'Borah has surprised me. At the blind audition, she went first and seemed good, but then with the others it started to seem maybe she'd be in trouble, but she's pulled it off pretty well. Creative and emotional take on "Who Knew".

I liked Devyn doing "Bleeding Love". Nicholas was really good with that song, but that falls in the "stuff I wouldn't listen to" category for me. Sylvia did well. Dez was another "does nothing for me". And Trevin once again blew it away. Barring a Cee Lo stumble (like last season), it feels he has this thing sewn up.

For Team Adam, I'm disappointed America saved Bryan Keith. I'm saddened that that sent Loren Allred home. I think I see why Adam picked Melanie over Loren - she has a more unique style and stands out more against Amanda and Trevin. Still, I'd prefer Loren over Bryan.

Team Blake, I was happy with America's choices of Terry and Cassadee. I hope Terry gets better song matches. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with Blake's save, it is consistent with what he's done before. I was thinking he'd take his country star Liz, but he went with the young and impressionable. That matches what he did in season one by picking the two he thought he could develop more. I think Liz has been far more consistent, and he should have had confidence in his country star. I'm just glad America didn't pick Julio, which left Blake having to choose between his country star, his young rocker girl, and Julio.

Team Xtina was on the one hand the closest set to me, and on the other hand didn't have anyone that really jumps out at me for winning. I think America got it wrong on Dez, but with 4 girls against 1 guy, I guess all the chicks voted for him. The four girls were close and all good to me, so this was a coin flip call to me.

Team Cee Lo had the obvious Trevin and the expected Nicholas, but I wouldn't have picked him. He sings well, but soul ain't my thing. But Cee Lo's save of Cody Belew was the important one to me. He's a lot stronger than Diego or MacKenzie, and I just like him better. I'm rooting for him to go as far as he can - beating Trevin would be a shocker. (He could win my vote on song style and choice, but America may not agree.)

Quote:
Dez singing a country song didn't make sense to me.
I can't remember if he picked or Christina did. It was an odd choice.

Quote:
Poor Diego, he got stuck with a song he obviously didn't like and couldn't get excited about.
Yeah, Cee Lo pegged him as a "latin pop star", when he wants to be rocker. But he needs to buy some real pants, especially if he isn't going to wear socks.

Quote:
Trevin and Nicholas cleaned up nice, and they both gave great performances. They weren't as spectacular as Amanda, but expectations were high for them.
Trevin was amazing, but it was far more expected out of him, whereas Amanda was amazing, but it stood out because she continues to step up.

And what was with Cee Lo's attire? First he's wearing a flag motif knitted thing - looks like a grandma on Fourth of July. Then he's wearing an animal-print mumu. Crap, that looks like one of my mom's nightgowns, except it's much more flashy. Is he taking style advice from Steven Tyler?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 AM

I saw this quote in a review and found it interesting

Quote:
You could say the stakes were very high last night, but they lowered considerably after the final performance of the night because, uh, how to put this delicately: Amanda Brown has this thing locked down. Trevin Hunte should just pack his knives and go home.
I thought it was interesting because I think it was written even before Trevin did his live round performance. Also, Amanda hasn't been all that consistent. I think Trevin has been more consistent. If there's one thing that this season has shown, it's that people can make bad choices that mess up their entire performance. The blind rounds seemed full of potential, but the field got narrowed down quickly and often surprisingly when some people made some poor song choices or weren't adequately prepared.

I'm torn about who to root for between the two of them. I like Trevin, but that performance by Amanda was amazing.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Agreed. Amanda had a so-so Blind audition, and then has done a variety of song styles. Her performance has been good since then, and she keeps stepping up to bigger things.

Trevin was spectacular in the Blind audition, and has been spectacular since. But he started so well, as Christina was saying, he hasn't improved any, hasn't stepped up to show us something more. But I was still saying in his performance that it seems a lock for him.

I put Trevin, Amanda, and Terry in a three-way race for the final, and peg song choice as the controlling factor. But I think Trevin has the edge on consistency, and Amanda has the edge for creativity and style. But Terry can't have another night like the last one.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM

I'm watching now, and I really didn't like Sylvia or Terry tonight. Since Terry was my favorite going in, I don't know what to think now. I'm not a musician, and I certainly can't sing, so perhaps someone with a trained ear can set me straight about their performances.

Last edited by Pai325; 11-12-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

No, Terry sucked on just about every level. His vocal 'stylings' sucked the life out of the song, he has zero stage presence or charisma, and he was so far off pitch on those last high notes that my dog threw up. A little.

Overall, I thought it was a disappointing night. I was expecting a little more from some of them.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 AM

I liked Bryan Keith tonight. I never thought I'd say this, I liked Dez tonight also. I always just thought he was eye candy.

Amanda wasn't as impressive to me tonight as she was last week. She's reminding me of Juliet Simms from last season, who had a great performance early, and couldn't recapture that moment at the end. I hope Amanda doesn't go that way. Hopefully, she'll put out another great performance next week.

I wasn't as moved by Trevin as the coaches seemed to think I should be, but he was solid as always. He looks like the front-runner. I watched the performance three times now, and it's just missing something for me. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm a Nicholas fan. He did a good performance tonight, but I don't think he has a chance to win.

I agree with Pai325 that Terry and Sylvia both didn't do great. But I'm not a musician either.

I thought that was Melanie's best performance tonight, but I'm not a fan.

Maybe it was me, but everyone seemed a little tired and straining, except in that regard, Trevin did come out with some good energy in comparison.

On preview: I see that Sam Stone thought it was a disappointing night as well, so maybe it wasn't just me on that.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM

I agree it was a disappointing night. Terry was way off, Sylvia was awful (and frankly a trapdoor should have opened underneath her the minute she suggested that song. Ugh.). Nicholas and Amanda were okay but that definitely wasn't their best work. Someone might want to clue Cassadee in that she'd be better served singing songs in her range than songs she loved when she was fourteen. Bryan was okay, but IMO everyone needs to back up off of Winehouse, covers of her songs tend to sound insipid in comparison. Couldn't understand a single word of Michaela's song, partly because I don't know it I suppose, but I think mostly because the band completely overpowered her. Dez had probably his best performance since the blinds and Cody continues to delight, but neither of them really are (or should be) contenders. Trevin was, as someone pointed out, as good as ever but not better than ever, which is where he needs to be going. Can't remember any others, which seems about right.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

One thing to consider about the band, and how it can help/hurt contestants: This is the same band that did the "Rock Star" shows like "Rock Star: INXS" and "Rock Star: Supernova". They were the best thing about those shows, and are absolutely world class. They're all sought-after studio musicians. The lead guitarist is the guitarist for Pink on tour. Etc.

If a performer chooses to do a rock song, he or she needs to be aware that the band will ROCK. If they can step up their performance like Amanda did with 'Dream On', the result will be epic. But if a performer isn't up to the task, that band will make it clear exactly who the weak link is, as it did with Terry and Michaela. During her performance, the judges were watching the guitarists more than they were watching her, from what I could tell. I was too.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM

Wow, I really liked Sylvia's performance. I thought she was one of the best of the night. Trevin did well, as expected. The only reason I don't hand him the crown now is I want to see all the performances play out, but he's definitely in the driver's seat.

I agree that Terry had another off night. Was this another round of Blake picking songs for him? He had a couple strong notes, but most of the higher notes were dreadful. It looked painful, and not in a good way. If Terry wants to stay in, he can't have another sucky performance. He may not make this round.

Melanie did great, probably her best performance since the Blind Auditions. I still don't have her on top, but this was a reasonable performance.

Michaela came off weak and off pitch on the low parts at the beginning. She was different enough it didn't sound like Pink singing the song, but her inconsistency is showing.

Bryan and Dez both had smooth solid performaces with no errors, but egads I can't stand crooning. It isn't quite as bad as mariachi, but that isn't a high bar IMO. I could do without either of them.

Nicholas was soulful, but I'm with Blake, it felt like he was singing that version for the first time, and not in a good way. He was chasing the song, and the low bit was odd. Better song choice, but not a winner.

Amanda wasn't quite as stellar tonight. Not a song I know. I think she was outdone by several.

I thought Cassadee had a great performace, one of her best yet. I also really loved Cody tonight. He has a great stage presence and didn't miss a note. I don't know why I don't have him on top in my mind, I really like him.

Adriana had a few glitches.

I suspect I'll be disappointed and Dez and Bryan will easily carry through.

I will say that I am liking most of the format changes this season. I like the shakeup on the Battle rounds with the saves (Steals), I like the Knockout rounds, and I like that they've moved to audience votes now rather than continuing to make the coaches pick. I also like that there's no guarantee a coach will have an artist in the final four, that all the remaining finalists are in direct competition now, not isolated within their own team. Good calls.

My one complaint is the extending of montage into the Battle Rounds, missing out on performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
One thing to consider about the band, and how it can help/hurt contestants: This is the same band that did the "Rock Star" shows like "Rock Star: INXS" and "Rock Star: Supernova". They were the best thing about those shows, and are absolutely world class. They're all sought-after studio musicians. The lead guitarist is the guitarist for Pink on tour. Etc.
I agree, the band is excellent. They play all these different music styles and formats, adapt from big rock numbers to soft accompaniment. There are times they do overwhelm the voice of the singer - I don't know if that's a technical error with the balance or what.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM

Was there a theme night with the stairs? I swear, the first four had to walk down stairs while platforms played a large role on stage all last night. It was weird.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Just for fun, I'm predicting the bottom 2 for tonight, where the top 10 are announced. I haven't seen the show yet.

I'm predicting Melanie and Michaela.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Michaela and Adriana.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM

Damn, I'm good.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM

So the results show is in.

First off, I have to say that Christina is really giving Cee Lo competition for the coach with the worst taste. Christina, the skirt is supposed to wrap all the way around the front. And what was that thing on her head? I don't think any of Cee Lo's wigs have been that bad. The only reason I watched the whole performance was to see if Christina's nipple was going to make an appearance.

I wonder, were those the results in order from highest to lowest?

Yeah, Michaela and Adriana make sense.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM

No one should be rewarded for singing "My Heart Will Go On." That piece of glurge has plagued us for a generation now, and justice for perpetuating it should be swift and sure. As previously mentioned my preference would be for a trapdoor over a crocodile pit, but recognizing the impracticality of that I'd settle for people just soundly rejecting it in their votes. Seriously folks, for the sake of our children's children, this shit has to stop.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

In happier news, I'm thrilled that Cody got through. Go BamBam!!! I think he's my favorite. At the very least, he's just so much freakin' fun.

Last edited by DianaG; 11-14-2012 at 08:38 PM..
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Agreed on Cody.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 AM

Tonight's episode...

I got suckered in by the story about the song Blake wrote that Cassadee sang, so she got my vote for best performance of the night.

Amanda Brown is my number 2. She was leading the pack until then.

Dez did a good job with his performance, but I'm not interested. But I suspect he will get voted high.

I agree with Adam about Trevin, this wasn't his best. But the audience was pretty wild.

Nicholas had a great song choice and a great rendition.

I enjoyed Cody's performance, his attitude and his fun. I'm just not sure how far he can make it.

Bryan didn't do anything wrong, but I'm not interested.

Melanie did a good job with her song, but she's polarizing. If you like her stuff, then you enjoyed this song. If you don't like her stuff, then you wouldn't have enjoyed more of the same. She had passion for her song, but she's not the pop diva. She's got a unique quirky sound and style. That may not translate into enough votes to stay on.

Terry had a better performance than his last two. He did fine, but I don't think fine is going to keep him around very long. After his last two and going against the ones left, he needed stellar. People have been carrying him on reputation for two weeks. He's got to justify that at some point.

Sylvia also had a good performance, but good isn't going to get the job done.

My guess at who is going home: Sylvia, and either Terry or Melanie.

And at least Christina was wearing pants tonight.

Last edited by Irishman; 11-20-2012 at 12:48 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 01:49 AM

What a show tonight! I loved the entire thing. Unlike two weeks ago, when I thought just about everyone had bad performances, I thought everyone tonight had great performances.

I'm not a Melanie fan, but I like what she did tonight. I'm not a Cody fan, but his performance had me laughing and smiling, and I thought the singing was good also.

Trevin's song choice was a departure, but he's right. It's easy to forget that he's only 18 years old. It was nice to see a fun side of him. It also gave people a chance to see his flexibility.

Last night, I happened to be looking at Blake Shelton's speech at the ACM awards on youtube and coincidentally found the song "Over You" and watched Miranda Lambert sing a few renditions of it. I liked Cassadee Pope's version of it even better than Miranda's. I've seen Cassadee's version twice now and cried both times. I'm not usually emotional about those types of songs.

Bryan, Nicholas, Dez and Terry all did great performances. Terry's performance was so much better than last week. Bryan seems to be hitting a stride. Nicholas is a little less quirky and more mainstream, but still as good to me. Amanda was back to doing what she does when she nails it.

Before tonight, there were several people I thought I could do without seeing again. In fact, except for Trevin, Amanda and Bryan, I wasn't too excited about any of them.

After tonight, I'm going to be sad to see someone go. Sylvia wasn't spectacular, so if I had to choose, I'd vote her off. I was never a Cody or Melanie fan, but I'd be curious to see what they do next, based on tonight's performance. Of the two, I'm more curious to see what Cody does.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Cody gives me life. Love that kid more every week. Nicholas was great (but please no more side part!), and I agree that it was nice to see Trevin having fun and showing a different facet. He's an 18 year old boy, just because he can sing Mariah doesn't mean he has to!

I actually enjoyed Melanie's performance way more than I thought I would, but I agree that it was great if you like her thing, and if you don't like her thing that wasn't gonna win you over.

Bryan bores me to tears. Sylvia's voice is certainly powerful but it is not, to my ears, pretty. Amanda was great, and Cassadee was okay.

Dez had quite the moment last night, didn't he? Good on him.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 AM

For me, this was the best episode since the show started. Everyone had at least solid performances, and some were stellar, even Dez. Up to this point he has bored me to sleep, and when I realized he was going to close the show last night I about turned it off. And then he floored me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM

There's a new rule this season that anyone that makes it to the top 10 of iTunes downloads will multiply the sales by 10 as votes for their survival for the night.

ET is reporting that Melanie's performance last night made it to #9 at the time of publication of the article and Cassadee's performance was #1.

Melanie's popularity for that song surprises me. I thought it was her best performance, but I thought there were better performances last night by others.

That probably ensures survival for both of them tonight. That changes the odds for everyone else.

Given that, I'm still predicting that Sylvia will be part of the bottom 2 tonight. As for the other person eliminated, I'm having a more difficult time guessing. Maybe Cody? Maybe Dez?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM

Nah, Dez is a sure pass. I mean, I don't like that style, but he had a very good performance - he was stronger than Bryan Keith for a similar thing.

I think Cody, Bryan, and Terry are on the hot seat, if Melanie is safe.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 AM

Just catching yesterday's show. Very much enjoyed Blake and Christina's opening act. I think they really do act like brother and sister. Lord knows they both enjoy getting sloppy drunk. Fairly sure that's mostly a compliment for Blake.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 AM

I just watched the eliminations to 8. I'm shocked. . . and bummed.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 AM

Watched the results show. Sylvia, as expected, was one of the ones to go. The other was Bryan. I'm a little surprised but pleased. When Cody was saved, most of my tension was relieved. I was surprised but relieved Terry was saved.

Was it just me, or when the group was singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" were they falling behind on the tempo?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Was it just me, or when the group was singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" were they falling behind on the tempo?
I didn't think they would make it through the song. I kept thinking that it must be hard to sing when you don't know if you've made it yet.

At the end, Sylvia was so flustered she couldn't speak. That was mean though. Right when Carson was supposed to reveal the last person eliminated, he changed it up to ask questions, without doing a preface or changing tempo or anything.

Poor Amanda. She's been one of the last people to be saved in both announcements.

I wondered last time if the eliminations were in the order of most votes, but this time, I doubt it. I doubt Trevin was that low on the list.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 AM

I don't really care for Carson as a host. He just doesn't seem genuine to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Yeah, Carson totally tripped up Sylvia. That more than anything is what left her unable to say anything.

I don't know about any of you, but when Carson asked Terry to "say a few words" I had a desperate urg to say "spaghetti, tinsel, cornfield - how many do you want?"

And I agree the announcements don't appear to be in order. I wonder how they are selected. I expect there's some strategy with trying to maximize the drama. Amanda's performance was much better than third last.

I really hate the forced drama of putting extended pauses before each announcement.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 AM

My girlfriend and I actually both think Carson is doing better this season. He's still not great, and comes across as stiff and maybe trying too hard, but more natural than he has been.

Christina, on the other hand ... could she make it all just a little bit more about her? She treated Dez and Sylvia like backup singers during their number last night, and then later when Carson asked her about Dez's song choice, talked about how she is working to help him stand out. Didn't he talk about he had been listening to that music with his dad since he was a kid? I remember a bit last season with Blake and his team where he didn't even sing, just played guitar for his group.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Carson totally tripped up Sylvia. That more than anything is what left her unable to say anything.
That was just mean. Not that I think it was intentional, but good lord. Of course she can't talk, she just swallowed her heart.

Quote:
And I agree the announcements don't appear to be in order. I wonder how they are selected. I expect there's some strategy with trying to maximize the drama. Amanda's performance was much better than third last.

I really hate the forced drama of putting extended pauses before each announcement.
I think the order of announcement is pretty clearly designed to maximize drama, but I also think that sometimes a person like Amanda or Trevin gets screwed by the fact that everyone assumes s/he's safe and votes for their second favorite.

And yeah, I hate the pauses. I know it's the industry standard, but break the mold Carson! Move this shit along. (By the way, the first season I hated Carson with the fire of a thousand suns; he's either gotten better or I've become inured to him. I do appreciate that he seems genuinely fond of a lot of the performers, and his "Blake Shelton, Entertainer of the Day/Week/Millennium" thing amuses me.)

One thing I hate even more than the pauses is the lame guest performers. Thank og for DVR.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Just caught up on this week... I actually didn't think Dez was that great. Maybe it's just because he sang a song that I actually know pretty well (as opposed to a lot of the pop and country that I'm less familiar with) but it seemed like he dodged the most difficult notes in that song, and struggled a little with one of the big notes near the end as it was. That said, he's so very, very pretty, and I'd think he'll continue to stay safe until nearly the very end because of that.

No real argument with the two who went home, though. I actually like both of them more than at least four or five that are still left, but they were both "good" in a week that had a lot of "really good" and "best I've seen them yet". I was briefly worried about Trevin for the same reason, but good sense prevailed there.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 AM

Just got through tonight's performances. Here's my rundown.

Amanda came out with a stellar performance, doing a rock version of Adele's "Someone Like You". I was thinking "they're going to have to work hard to beat that". Then Cody came out and sang Queen's "Somebody to Love". DAMN! He definitely had the top performance tonight.

The thing is, even a year ago I don't think I would have really known what big shoes he was trying to fill, but within the last year I've developed a sincere appreciation for Freddy Mercury and his vocal talent. This was a great match up, I've been pondering someone doing a Freddy Mercury song, and this was an ideal pairing. Cody had the voice, he had the notes, and he had the moves and the grace for the stage. It was awesome.

So 1. Cody Belew, 2. Amanda Brown.

3. Cassadee Pope had a really strong performance with "Are You Happy Now?". She really captured the venom.

4. This one for me goes to Melanie, doing a Melanie version of "Too Close". The thing is, this is one of those songs that I turn the radio when it comes on, but she made it appealing. I enjoyed it and could sense the personal emotion dumped in it.

And an aside, I wasn't fond of the harping on her personal life. I know Adam's line about making the guy miserable for not being with her is supposed to feel comforting, but I got the sense she didn't feel it that way, she was practically shaking her head no in rejection of that sentiment.

5. Gets a little gray here, but I think this was Trevin. He had a great performance again, but I just wasn't getting the amazing I was from the others.

6. I'm leaning toward Nicholas David here, for "What's Going On?" His delivery was pretty good, even though he was once again behind on his performance in the group song, he didn't seem to have that problem here. I give it to Mr. Smooth.

7. I go with Terry McDermott here. It wasn't a poor song choice, but once again it feels like my TV or my ears are broken, because Adam is applauding him for his perfect notes, and I still feel he's missing some of them. It just doesn't sound on to me. I want to root for Terry, but not when he's missing notes, I can't root for him over Amanda and Cody.

8. Dez Duron. You see where I mentioned above where Melanie had me listening and connecting to a song I normally avoid? This was a case where I was wanting desperately to hit fast forward. I didn't because as a competition I still feel it important to hear all the competitors, but this one was a challenge for me. So even though his vocal performance was better than Terry, his song style and song choice kill me. He's the only one I wanted to skip listening to.

I'm sure America won't agree, and Dez will come in higher. But this is my vote.

Quote:
One thing I hate even more than the pauses is the lame guest performers. Thank og for DVR.
Yes, I gave Adam and 50 Cent a chance on the start up, but Fiddy blew it by being hip hop, so FFW it went. I wasn't that impressed by the first group song. The second one with Amanda and Cody wasn't bad, except where Nicholas was messing up the tempo.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM

I'm a middle-aged white woman so maybe it's a dumb question, but my reaction was "Oh. Fiddy. Is he still here?"

I mostly agree with your rankings (with an especial if repetitive Go BamBam!!!) except that I think that Cassadee's song choices continue to be horrible, the worst of the grrrrrrl pop of her adolescence. Someone play that girl some records, ferchrissake.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM

Loved the group version of Rhythm of Love. IMHO, best group song of the season.

I am glad Dez was voted off. I didn't particularly like his voice and I hate mean girl Christina.