Subaru commercial - Isn't this an old, classic song?

I’d swear that I heard this song in the 70’s. It seems so darn familiar. The first time I saw this commercial my foot was tapping and I was singing along.

Is this just a clever new song that evokes the 60’s folk sound? Or is it a classic?

commercial is at top of the page.
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2012/08/14/by-lightnings-future-history-in-a-subaru-commercial-wild-cubs-jonti-vid-rayland-baxters-the-mtn-song-vid-vidsy-bits

“Future History”

I can feel you in my bones
I can see you in my eyes
I can hear you in my voice
After all this time

You’ve made me who I am
And all I’ll ever be
When I see you I see me
I am the future of your history
When I see you I see me

hmm, I’m the only one that thought this song was familiar?

I was looking at the bands web site and sampled their other releases. They are a country/rock group. This song isn’t typical of their other material at all. Their other songs are much edgier and soft rock.

Future History may be something they wrote that just has the feel of a 60’s folk song. It is one heck of a great song. I bought it off Amazon last night.

The melody in the first two lines is so damned familiar, but I can’t quite place it.

Download it to your computer if you haven’t already.
Right click on the mp3 file and select “properties.”
A window will pop up. Click on the “details” tab.
Use the bar on the right side of the window to scroll down until you get to “composers.” (It’s under the “file” section.)

Who is listed as the composer?
And while you’re at it, who is listed as the publisher and what is the copyright?

If it is an old song, that information may help track it down.

Copyright 2012 Been Struck Records
Contributing Artist By Lightning
Album Artist By Lightning

Composers was blank

Pretty sure Melanie has some songs with a similar melody. She was a popular folkie in the 60’s.

Publisher Blank

not too much info on the mp3.

It resembles Sugartime.

A group called “de novo dahl” had two members Joel Dahl and Serai Zaffiro. They were managed by Aaron Hartley. By Lightning! also happens to have two members named Joel Dahl and Serai Zaffiro and is managed by Aaron Hartley. Serai Zaffiro’s facebook page lists her name as Serai Zaffiro McAnulty.

de novo dahl had a song named “Shout” or “Crap Your Pants Say Shout” which was written by Serai Joan McAnulty and Joel Nathan McAnulty.

Joel Nathan McAnulty has written a song called “Future History.” Signs point to the possibility that this is the same song, though I cannot prove it.

Joel Nathan McAnulty has written a lot of other commercial jingles, including the classic “Fabio V3” aka “It’s Toyotathon The Event” and "Toyotathon is Back, " and his follow-up hit “Toyotathon V12.”

Not proof, but all signs point to this being a song commissioned by Subaru for the commercial.

Joel McAnulty and Joel Dahl are the same person. He looks much too young to have written a 1960s song.

“You made me who I am and all I’ll ever be.”

Really? That’s as far as kids can go, just to the limit of what their parents are? Like Einstein, Mother Theresa, and Steve Jobs? Oh, and everybody else who ever existed?

Really?

Hey y’all, Greetings from Nashville - well, NY for the next week, but usually from Nashville.

I wrote the song you are chatting about. It was written about a dream I had about conversing with past and future incarnations of my soul. I love 60’s and 70’s music - folk music especially, so good ear on the influences.

By no means is this song meant to express that we are bound by some familial caste system. You just have to think a bit beyond what the message for the commercial is.

www.bylightning.com

www.phantomfarmer.com

www.beenstruckrecords.com

lots more related music on these sites.

I love the SDMB. Thank you for finding us and giving us the inside scoop!