What is the difference between Brian and Bryan?

Why are there two spellings of that name?

Many names have multiple spellings.

I appreciate the non-answer.

One has an i and one has a y.

Now, if you had asked about the difference between Stacy and Staci…

That’s an actual answer, CheeseDonQuay

And I’m sure you could find a 3rd spelling without too much effort.

Brian is a real sweetheart, but Bryan is a jerk. I can’t stand that guy.

Brian with an “i” or Bryan with a “y”–that is the question.

So, here are some facsimiles of several versions of the famous soliloquy from Hamlet. Compare the “Good Quarto” and the “First Folio”. Ignore the whole “archaic form of the letter ‘s’ that looks more like an ‘f’ thing”–that’s not really a spelling issue.

Even putting aside the “long s”, sleep is spelled “sleepe”. “Heart-ache” is either “hart-ake” or “Heart-ake”. “Heir” is spelled “heire” in one version; “heyre” in the other.

Spelling used to be wildly variable. It was pretty late in the day that this stuff got really standardized. And with people’s names, the “correct” spelling of the name is whatever they say it is–your name is, after all, pretty much the fundamental expression of your personal identity. If your Mama put down “Brian” on the birth certificate, then that’s your name; if she put “Bryan”, then that is your name; and if she put “Brionn” or “Bhreahn” then you have a lifetime of saying “Bhreahn–No, it’s Bee-aitch-arr-ee…Yes, Bee; aitch-as-in-Henry; arr…” to look forward to.

Uh… Brian is a boy’s name, while Bryan is a… uh, wait a minute . . . boy’s name?

(So far. Just wait a bit until Bryan catches up with Sydney and Lindsey.)

Speaking of Shakespeare… guess which spelling the man never once used in any of the signatures we can attribute to him.

I’m not sure what kind of answer you’re expecting here.

What’s the difference between Catherine and Katherine?
What’s the difference between Geoffrey and Jeffrey?
What’s the difference between Sean, Shaun and Shawn?

etc
etc
etc

Brian is an anagram of brain. Bryan is an anagram of Barny.

Which epithet would you prefer to be called while growing up among peers who deconstruct names to create playful insults? Spell your kid’s name accordingly.

^ Threadwinner by a mile.

This is all just from Wikipedia, mind you, but it may be what you’re looking for:

On Brian:

On Bryan:

That’s actually pretty informative; thanks.

I had a book of “The Lisle Letters”. Lord Lisle was one of the last Platagenets, so was heavily watched by Henry VIII who was a little antsy about possible rival claimants. His letters were collected when he was arrested, and apparently are still in the royal archives somewhere. They are a fascinating glimpse into everyday life of the 1500’s.

As for spelling - as mentioned, spelling was a matter of random preference. There was no official Oxford Dictionary or spelling bees.

The number of variations on “Lisle” is mind-numbing (Lyle, Lylle, Lille, listle, Loill, Layall…), as with every other proper name. Imagine 50 different English-accent ways to pronounce something (some counties the dialect was practically a foreign language) then imagine transliterating what the person said into letters.

Also, consistency was not a virtue of the day in spelling then. So things could be spelled any way people felt like spelling them. The only saving grace in this was that so many were illiterate.

Nowadays, the difference between Brian and Bryan comes down to either family tradition or pretentiousness.

Is this honestly your first time encountering different spellings of the same name?!?

I suspect the OP really wanted to know something like "Is one of them the ‘original’ and the other a later spelling variant, or did they evolve independently?’ or “Are the different spellings associated with different languages or nationalities?” or “What is the etymology, or the earliest known appearance, of the two spellings?”

Creative spelling of names is at an all time high.

Alicia too traditional for you?, how about Alesha. Or maybe Aleceea, Alecia, Alica, Alicea, Alisa, Alisha, Alissa, Alecia, Allyceea, Allycia, Allysia, Alysia, Elissa, Ellissa.

Quinton, Quentin. Quantin, Quent, Quentan, Quenten, Quenton, Quentyn, Quint, Quintin, Quintus, Qwentin. Quentin’s

Or my all time favorite, Qyntyon.

Yes, I work with young people. And they are all special, and need their own special spelling to set them apart.