The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS View Post
I liked Margaret at the beginning, and kind of admire her for getting what she wants, but she is heading for a big fall from her elevated status. Nucky even tries to get a little closer with her by sharing that he is having trouble sleeping. "Try a glass of warm milk."
So true!

After all, she is enjoying an elevated position in society. But it is based on nothing!

That is, it is only a mirage based on Nucky's wealth. And she steals from him?

A big fall is exactly right. A great big huge fall!
Advertisements  
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
Really? I completely bought that it was the Irish guy's simple of way or remembering the pronunciation.
They discussed this on the Inside the Episode segment and said Owen misunderstood.

https://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire...e-episode.html

I enjoyed seeing Margaret manipulate the people around her. I originally assumed Margaret wanted Nucky to be at the ceremony because she wanted to go to a high society event and I thought it was nice that her goal was to make something positive happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:13 AM

In episode 2, when Nucky went to the medicine cabinet (when his new "girlfriend" was in the other room) and apparently took apart a razor by unscrewing the handle, anyone know what this was all about? He had a troubled look on his face, disassembled the razor, put it back together. I couldn't make sense of it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 AM

Presumable he was worried the gf might try to use it to kill herself. I can't think of any other explanation.

But I have seen no evidence to support she would want to do that. There is nothing about her that suggests she would ever try to do that.

Maybe Nucky was thinking of perhaps using it to perform a "suicidal gesture" (remember that phrase from The Sopranos?) and then changed his mind.

Whatever it is, you certainly seem to be correct. It doesn't seem to make much sense.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM

It appeared he unscrewed the handle of the razor, then peered at it in an odd sort of way and with trouble on his brow. I don't buy girlfriend-suicide possibility, don't think she lent any indication to anyone that she might be inclined to bring about her own departure.

Even if the action unimportant and meaning nothing to the plot, there must be more to it than my understanding of it. Why would he be unscrewing the handle of the razor? Was there something inside it?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM

He was looking to see if the blade was new/fresh or recently used. In other words - was another man also spending significant time here.

At least that is what I took it to mean, especially considering the context of Nucky being upset about the phone call(s) from another man, etc.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Thanks, MeanJoe! That explains it pretty well, I think.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Glory View Post
They discussed this on the Inside the Episode segment and said Owen misunderstood.

https://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire...e-episode.html

Thanks for that - I was completely mystified by the Bone For Tuna bit.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I liked Margaret at the beginning, and kind of admire her for getting what she wants, but she is heading for a big fall from her elevated status. Nucky even tries to get a little closer with her by sharing that he is having trouble sleeping. "Try a glass of warm milk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Hapsburg View Post
So true!

After all, she is enjoying an elevated position in society. But it is based on nothing!

That is, it is only a mirage based on Nucky's wealth. And she steals from him?

A big fall is exactly right. A great big huge fall!
I don't get the intensity of dislike for Margaret relative to Nucky. Nucky is an asshole. He had her husband killed ( admittedly a wife-beating drunk ), cheats on her constantly almost from day one ( even when they were on sorta good terms ) and is generally a conniving, arrogant, corrupt, murdering political fixer and bootlegger. One with layers, granted .

I like his character a lot - I find him to be an appealing asshole. But even as far as Margaret has compromised herself for the sake of security for her and her children, she's still by far the better person.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 10-04-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
I wish they'd show more of Slater. His accent is so lovely I'd like to just skip the rest and listen to him read the phone book
Now that is true love!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post

Also...why would Manny be blamed for Jimmy's demise?
I haven't gone through all the replies to see if this has already been answered, but...

It wasn't my impression Manny was killed for JIMMY's murder. I think he was killed for Angela Darmody's murder. Remember in a scene earlier, the (I forget the guy who wears the mask name. I'll just call him Mask Guy) Mask Guy was taking care of Jimmy's boy and he was talking about the boy's real mother, Angela Darmody, and how she had painted a picture of Mask Guy and was just generally kind to him.

Later, it showed him looking at a picture Angela had painted. I think Mask Guy killed Manny for killing Angela, not Jimmy.

J.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey963 View Post
..<snip>..I think Mask Guy killed Manny for killing Angela, not Jimmy.
I agree with this 100%. The mask guy's name is Richard Harrow, and I think it's obvious he was (and still is) in love with Angela Darmody.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey963 View Post
It wasn't my impression Manny was killed for JIMMY's murder. I think he was killed for Angela Darmody's murder. Remember in a scene earlier, the (I forget the guy who wears the mask name. I'll just call him Mask Guy) Mask Guy was taking care of Jimmy's boy and he was talking about the boy's real mother, Angela Darmody, and how she had painted a picture of Mask Guy and was just generally kind to him.

Later, it showed him looking at a picture Angela had painted. I think Mask Guy killed Manny for killing Angela, not Jimmy.
Just to solidify it all, when Nucky asks Richard why he shot Manny, Richard explicitly replies "Angela Darmody."
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Just to solidify it all, when Nucky asks Richard why he shot Manny, Richard explicitly replies "Angela Darmody."
I must have missed that.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 AM

Mean Joe,
Very good thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I don't get the intensity of dislike for Margaret relative to Nucky. Nucky is an asshole. He had her husband killed ( admittedly a wife-beating drunk ), cheats on her constantly almost from day one ( even when they were on sorta good terms ) and is generally a conniving, arrogant, corrupt, murdering political fixer and bootlegger. One with layers, granted .

Unless I am mistaken, your profile does not state whether you are M or F and I think that may have a bearing on how you view N & M. As a Male, I would think that even when they were close, he would still cheat on her.

But, now that they are on the "outs", there is just no way he would want to remain loyal to her. Fom his PoV, she is just awful. If I were Nucky and remembering his past history, I would want to pretend to be happy with her - primarily for the sake of my public face. But I would jump at the chance to have her killed just to get rid of the dirty rotten thief.

I don't want anyone to ever get the idea they can steal from me. Fagget about it!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Fagget about it!
<Gyp Rosetti> Who you callin' a fagget? </Gyp Rosetti>
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM

I find Margaret's accent rather grating. It's almost like she's only learned the accent in one tone so she sounds like she's anxious and complaining the whole time.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, your profile does not state whether you are M or F
M . The name is actually a hint, though granted nothing is ever definite on the internet.

Quote:
But I would jump at the chance to have her killed just to get rid of the dirty rotten thief.
Nah, it is obvious he still has some affection for both her and the kids, however strained - the "trouble sleeping" comment definitely seems to hint he is still wistful. And hey she's his wife - community property. Legally she didn't steal a dime ( not that Nucky would look at it that way of course ). When she was a mistress, she didn't steal so much as hoard the money he willingly gave her against the rainy day of getting dumped. And as his wife, he tried a to use her as part of his legal dodge and lied to her about his intentions. In other words he tried to corrupt her further. So she retaliated ( in part due to her terror over her daughter and her own guilty piety getting mixed up in her head ) by doing something noble with Nucky's ill-gotten gains. Which again, makes her a better person than him .

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Gadaí View Post
I find Margaret's accent rather grating. It's almost like she's only learned the accent in one tone so she sounds like she's anxious and complaining the whole time.
Well, she's a Scottish actress trying to do Irish. Now that you mention it I can get what you're saying, but as an American I can honestly say I hadn't noticed enough to be bothered by it. But maybe now I will be. Thanks a lot .

Last edited by Tamerlane; 10-05-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Not only that, Harrow explicitly tells Thompson that he and his family are safe from retribution for Jimmy Darmody's murder. Harrow says something like Jimmy Darmody was a soldier so was fair game.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
M . The name is actually a hint, though granted nothing is ever definite on the internet.

Nah, it is obvious he still has some affection for both her and the kids, however strained - the "trouble sleeping" comment definitely seems to hint he is still wistful. And hey she's his wife - community property. Legally she didn't steal a dime ( not that Nucky would look at it that way of course ). When she was a mistress, she didn't steal so much as hoard the money he willingly gave her against the rainy day of getting dumped. And as his wife, he tried a to use her as part of his legal dodge and lied to her about his intentions. In other words he tried to corrupt her further. So she retaliated ( in part due to her terror over her daughter and her own guilty piety getting mixed up in her head ) by doing something noble with Nucky's ill-gotten gains. Which again, makes her a better person than him .
I have followed discussions about this show on a few other boards and that is some of the most advanced and intelligent thinking I have ever seen.

But, you could have said "Male" instead of just "M".

I have always found Poe so tedious and I didn't catch your meaning with "M" so I actually slogged through some references to the poem by Poe until I figured it out.

Ugh!

I'm not seriously complaining. It was my own fault, after all.

And reading your post quoted here more than made up for it.

I hope you will post your opinions and conclusions on this show again.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
<Gyp Rosetti> Who you callin' a fagget? </Gyp Rosetti>

I was wondering if anyone would reference that.

For someone who takes offense at everything, he has a lotta noive walking around with a monicker like "Gyp".

And "Rosetti" too.

Weren't Italians given a lot of prejudice circa 1920 in the NE USA?

Edited because I couldn't figure out how to add a smiley. Duh!

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 10-06-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM

The season started off really well but I think the last couple of episodes have been quite dull. I hope it picks up again.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The season started off really well but I think the last couple of episodes have been quite dull. I hope it picks up again.
Last night's was slow but I think it was more of a set-up episode for things to come. Harrow might have a romance. Gillian killed that kid so she can claim it was Jimmy and own the house outright. Eli got promoted. Gyp gets the green light to go crazy. All of these should set up some interesting things.

It also might have seemed slow because there was no Nelson who is about the most interesting character going right now in my opinion. That actor is amazing.

Last edited by hajario; 10-29-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Did you just love the final episode?

Yeah! Go Richard!! Reminded me of "that" scene in The Matrix.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Yeah I really liked it. Harrow ftw. The last two episodes made up for a relative lull in the latter half of the season.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

It was pretty fun, if kinda ridiculous. Also, Richard kinda lucked out that he burst in the door just after the forty or so other mobsters had left.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM

The scene with Richard at the end almost made up for killing off Owen - who was just freakin' adorable. I thought Gillian was dead - was it heroin or something else Rosetti injected her with?

The end felt like a series finale but I think it was renewed for another season.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
The scene with Richard at the end almost made up for killing off Owen - who was just freakin' adorable. I thought Gillian was dead - was it heroin or something else Rosetti injected her with?
It was an OD of heroin. The same way she killed psuedo-Jimmy earlier in the season.

I think she is dead, and was just on her way out when she was talking to Nucky. Hard to imagine she could survive a dose that was meant to kill someone as large as Rossetti.

They have been renewed for another season.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I've read an interview in which the series creator said Gillian was definitely not dead. Remember the guy she hit with the needle it was just to get him passive, after which she drowned him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard was watching for the best moment to go in there. Also I don't think he particularly cares if he lives or dies as long as he gets to save the child.

The show has definitely been renewed for a season 4.

I wonder what happened to the butler guy who was gut-shot? Just having gotten the bullet out isn't going to help him with the inevitable infection he's likely to have. I don't think antibiotics like penicillin were in use at that time, were they?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Richard was watching for the best moment to go in there.
Yea, thinking about it more, that's fair. We see him getting all his guns togeather at the end of last episode, but he doesn't storm the brothel until several days later. So presumably he was outside watching for his chance, and then charged in as soon as he saw the majority of the "troops" drive off.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Glad this thread got resurrected. Agree with everyone else - the Richard scene was fantastic. I am curious about how someone with only one eye could be that accurate. I would think he would have depth-perception issues, right?

Why didn't Gip's two body guards stop the 3rd guy from stabbing him in the back? They escaped with Gip and we were not shown anything to indicate they knew the 3rd guy was going to kill him. It just seemed odd to me, you'd think that 3rd guy would be on a suicide mission. He has to kill Gip but would be killed by the bodyguards in the process.

I also assumed Gillian was dying/dead from an OD.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Glad this thread got resurrected. Agree with everyone else - the Richard scene was fantastic. I am curious about how someone with only one eye could be that accurate. I would think he would have depth-perception issues, right?
I thought the same thing. But dude's a superhero - I'll take it!
Quote:
Why didn't Gip's two body guards stop the 3rd guy from stabbing him in the back? They escaped with Gip and we were not shown anything to indicate they knew the 3rd guy was going to kill him. It just seemed odd to me, you'd think that 3rd guy would be on a suicide mission. He has to kill Gip but would be killed by the bodyguards in the process.
Same thought too.

Who was the guy at the door with Richard's girlfriend? I sort of assumed it was her dad but he was being nice and didn't look that old. Thought maybe it was a brother or someone else from Thanksgiving.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance - I have a hell of a time keeping up with characters on dramas.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Who was the guy at the door with Richard's girlfriend? I sort of assumed it was her dad but he was being nice and didn't look that old. Thought maybe it was a brother or someone else from Thanksgiving.
It was the dad. Apparently he was in one of his rare sober moments, and hence less of a jerk.

Quote:
You'll have to forgive my ignorance - I have a hell of a time keeping up with characters on dramas.
Yea, this show needs to work on their editing or something. I have a hell of a time keeping track of all the mobster characters outside Atlantic City. The fact that there are a million of them, they're all sort of similar, and the show jumps around between them so often makes keeping tack of whose who a real nightmare.

Was the cop whose throat had been cut in a park the same guy Jimmy attacked in a previous season?

So was Nucky and super-stern gov't guys plan the whole time to give the brewery away and then pin it on Rothstein and super-corrupt gov't guy? Again, the choppy editing made that plot thread pretty hard to follow.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

No, I don't think that was the actual plan on the brewery -- I think it was Nucky's idea. There was a line he had about "big fish swallows big bait" or something similar.

I also sometimes have a problem keeping track of all the various mobsters.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
They probably had had enough of Gyp's nonsense.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think that was the actual plan on the brewery -- I think it was Nucky's idea. There was a line he had about "big fish swallows big bait" or something similar.
This episode, its pretty clear that Nucky's plan is. But was something like this always the plan? IIRC, Nucky went to see Mellon because he thinks he's going to get served up to the DoJ to show they're fighting bootleggers. Mellon seems to want to get at people in the DoJ because he thinks they're corrupt. And so...Mellon gives Nucky his brewery for some reason?

What was the original plan between Mellon, Nucky, Gaston Means and the lady prosecutor?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 PM

I figured Nucky just told Mellon how it was, he had to trade his interest in the brewery away, probably knowing Mellon would simply use that information to snag Rothstein.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No.

You only need one eye for a rifle scope.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
What was the original plan between Mellon, Nucky, Gaston Means and the lady prosecutor?
Looking at TV without pity, the original deal was that Mellon would arrest Harry Daughterys associates for bootlegging to keep Harry from going after Nucky. In return, Nucky would run Mellon's distillery.

Not really clear why Mellon would agree to then turn around and rat out people working in his own bootlegging operation. But maybe it will make more sense next season.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I was surprised that Chalky and Capone killed all of Maseria's men? He cut a deal and is not going full on after Rothstien/Maseria alliance and siding with Capone/Torrio. It kind of makes sense. They didn't back him and then took advantage when his back was against the wall.

As for Mellon, Nucky got word to him that Rothstien forced him out and that he had no control anymore. I am sure that the plan is for Nucky to be back in charge as soon as Rothstein is out.

I wish that we saw Muller/Val Alden and that we see a lot more of him and Chalky next season.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I was surprised that Chalky and Capone killed all of Maseria's men? He cut a deal and is not going full on after Rothstien/Maseria alliance and siding with Capone/Torrio. It kind of makes sense. They didn't back him and then took advantage when his back was against the wall.
In his interview w/ Sepinwall about the finale and the season as a whole, Terence Winter talks on this (and other questions brought up in this thread):

Quote:
Sepinwall: Why does Nucky have Capone take out all of Masseria's men rather than simply let them leave town abandon Gyp and go back to New York? Is it just part of the message he wants Tonino to relay to Masseria? That a show of strength would be greeted with respect rather than a desire to keep the war going?

Winter: It's both a show of strength to Masseria and a way to fuck over Rothstein, who just convinced Masseria to pull his guys out of Atlantic City.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
In his interview w/ Sepinwall about the finale and the season as a whole, Terence Winter talks on this (and other questions brought up in this thread):
Not to mention that Al and Chalky have been at war with those guys for weeks, and killing them all is what they WANTED to do.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah I really liked it. Harrow ftw. The last two episodes made up for a relative lull in the latter half of the season.
I agree. I thought the final two episodes were great and were really set up well by the rest of the season even though it meant some slower episodes in preparation.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 PM

Is Scorsese still involved with the show, because that Richard gunfight was straight out of Taxi Driver. Idealistic guy storms a whorehouse to shoot his way in to rescue a young kid -- I'd seen it before -- not that I didn't enjoy it again.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
I figured Nucky just told Mellon how it was, he had to trade his interest in the brewery away, probably knowing Mellon would simply use that information to snag Rothstein.
Quote:
Looking at TV without pity, the original deal was that Mellon would arrest Harry Daughterys associates for bootlegging to keep Harry from going after Nucky. In return, Nucky would run Mellon's distillery.

Not really clear why Mellon would agree to then turn around and rat out people working in his own bootlegging operation. But maybe it will make more sense next season.
Yeah, this was my biggest question out of the episode - why did Mellon so readily agree to get involved and drop a dime on his own brewery? Did he have some beef with Rothstein from a previous episode that I don't remember?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
No.

You only need one eye for a rifle scope.
Is this a whoosh or are you serious? Yes, for aimed shots with a rifle and scope I can see the point that you only need one eye. Richard took a lot of shots that were not using the rifle scope and the final shot at the end was from a kneeling position with the rifle held low to the ground and angled upward.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
It was an OD of heroin. The same way she killed psuedo-Jimmy earlier in the season.
Jimmy going "missing" then coming back and dieing is something I never figured out.

Why did "Red" have to kill somebody that kind of looked like him and who did that really fool??
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
It was pretty fun, if kinda ridiculous. Also, Richard kinda lucked out that he burst in the door just after the forty or so other mobsters had left.
Au contraire, I think the forty mobsters are lucky they left before Richard showed up.

But also, y'know, he could have been watching the place for a while, looking for an opportunity when he saw most of the men abruptly drive off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe
Well, it wouldn't have taken much. Rosetti starts singing about googly-eyes, Sandrelli quietly draws his knife, looks inquisitively at the two other men, they nod (having had enough of Rosetti, as well as some sympathy stemming from the capricious and pointless murder by Rosetti of Sandrelli's cousin) and it's a go.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
Jimmy going "missing" then coming back and dieing is something I never figured out.

Why did "Red" have to kill somebody that kind of looked like him and who did that really fool??
Well, she needed an official death certificate so she could inherit the house, so she found a drifter who kind of resembled Jimmy, maybe called him "James" in public a few times, killed and hastily cremated him, paid the necessary bribes in cash and/or sexual favours the get the paperwork...
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Is this a whoosh or are you serious? Yes, for aimed shots with a rifle and scope I can see the point that you only need one eye. Richard took a lot of shots that were not using the rifle scope and the final shot at the end was from a kneeling position with the rifle held low to the ground and angled upward.
My dad is blind in one eye. He can outshoot me any day and I'm pretty good. I keep both of my eyes open when I am using an eotech sight, but any other shooting is done with my non dominant eye closed.