Today is six years

“Come on.” Patience isn’t a word most four-year-old know. The little girl, no small toddler now, is pulling on her daddy’s green, slightly faded shirt. It’s not worn that much, which is good because it will be a damn shame if it ever gets holes in it. Some things you can never throw out. Not because you like them so much, but because they hold a connection to something which will never come back.

The quiet waves made gentle splashes on the rocks. The blades of grass, a more vivid shade of green, swayed quietly in the little breeze. Late September is still summer here in Tokyo. The park, a tiny outcrop of stillness in a busy bay.

The children run, excited to be here in a place which holds something which they will never know. Memories of a brave fighter of a distant past.

They want to play, but their daddy lingers in the thoughts of another time he wore that shirt. It was new then. Memories, like shirts, fade but the photos don’t. A snapshot of something else new hugged gently to that soft polo.

“Come on Daddy!” A little irritation now. The world belongs to the living and not to the past.

We honor the memories, not because we cannot move beyond but to remind us to hug the ones we still have.

Little one. Rest tonight and each night. You never knew your friends here, but there are some who still remember. They will wish you a happy birthday.

Oh man, you have me in tears. You should have been a poet.

He IS one :slight_smile: Published or not, he is.
Thanks for sharing all you do, TokyoBayer. Happy birthday to the wee one, and…what does one say to another who has survived when some did not? No one knows. Maybe the wind? I hope it carries a tune for you, today.

Thank you for sharing.

Has it been six years already?

Many warm thoughts for your family, TokyoBayer. For your *whole *family, wherever they may be dreaming tonight. We remember him here - how can we forget?

I’m so very sorry but I have to ask: What are you guys talking about?

Original thread that explains it.

Happy Birthday, small one. We still remember.
(& pass a kiss along to brother & Sister from thier Internet Auntie)

Having dinner and beers with my son tonight…I will hug him extra tight when we part…

damn dust in my eyes…

peace TB…

This. Exactly.

Tokyo - I knew of your son’s story, but until today I did not know his name. My Ian is ten weeks old, named for an uncle who died nearly two decades ago at the age of six. That you for the reminder that whatever time we get, it is a blessing, and I wish you peace today.

Sniff…there seems to be something in my eye.

Casual Friday.

Fuck you, you arrogant bully. I will gladly take a warning just to tell you off over this. You are a complete asshole, and I hope you learn what suffering is.

Happy to oblige.

By going off on an obscene rant, you sprayed way more shit-mist in this thread than a misguided, unfunny joke did.

Warning issued for personal insults.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

Totally worth it. I would rather stand up for a person suffering than allow a Dick comment to go without a comment.

I have a nephew named Ian. He is eleven years old. It’s a good name.

I’m sure Tokyo’s Ian rests in peace, waiting to meet his daddy and mommy again.

Fail. It’s only Thursday in Japan.

But seriously, well written and touching as always, TB. May the wind be at your back today and always.

A year ago you said “Gradually, I’m realizing that hold on too tight to Ian doesn’t help our family now” and I asked “have you thought that there is a time in the future where you won’t be having birthday parties for your lost son?” While I have all the sympathy in the world for what you went through and lost, I really think it’d do you good to find some end to the mourning.

Such beautiful words to honor your child. This probably wont mean much, but this doper is thinking about you and your family and wishing you peace and comfort. You are a wonderful daddy.

Today is my daughter Maya’s nine month birthday. I am blessed to have her and hug her and love her (and also my other child). Apart from being a happy day, the 19th of each month is also a reminder about the 21st being around the corner. The day after tomorrow marks the six month anniversary of my husband Jesse’s death.

Your words are a solemn reminder of how fragile we can be sometimes…and how fragile life can be.