The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM

"Conservative media co-ordinates on the release of 5 yr old Obama video

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...d-obama-video/

Hey, assholes, you're supposed to report news, not try to manufacture it!
Advertisements  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post

It's like some sort of media conspiracy of the type so many stalwart citizens of this board are all to keen to decry the merest straining-at-gnats suggestion of .

They'll be along any second now, Indignation set to Righteous, I'm sure.

Last edited by tagos; 10-03-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM

How cunning of them to unearth a video that was broadcast by every major news outlet in the country. I'm just surprised it wasn't the ACORN-Pimp that broke the story.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
How cunning of them to unearth a video that was broadcast by every major news outlet in the country. I'm just surprised it wasn't the ACORN-Pimp that broke the story.
I've been picking up whispers that Obama may be black, a Muslim. Maybe both. And has anyone seen his birth certificate?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM

I've heard that Obama has fathered two black children.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM

And he lives in government-funded housing!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

This just in: 2008 wants its controversial Obama issue back.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM

I hear the conservative freedom fighters discovered this video on something called "Yoo Toob." There's an "e" in there somewhere, I think it's silent, but there's a slight chance it's pronounced "Yoo Toobee." The video had apparently been "uploaded" to this Internet website five years ago, so it's very current. You'll have to go to http://www.askjeeves.com to search for more information on it.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Well, 2008 can suck it. Why is 2008 so greedy?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Wow. So the GOP is stooping to race-baiting. Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I've heard that Obama has fathered two black children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
And he lives in government-funded housing!
And the government pays him to live there!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Our President is among the 47%!

Bet the guy gets a government car too. We should all be so lucky.

:whispers:

A plane? He gets a plane? Obama must be the biggest welfare queen in the country!

Last edited by JohnT; 10-03-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

How is this supposed to hurt Obama?

Are there actually a statistically significant number of racists who were thinking, "Well, it's OK that a mulatto is President, but now I know that he pointed out to black people that New Orleans didn't get treated real well post-Katrina, I'm going to vote for Romney! How dare Obama pander to the audience he's speaking to instead of white folks like me!?"?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
How is this supposed to hurt Obama?
Because, see, if a video of Romney hurt Romney, then a video of Obama has to hurt Obama. It's the commutative property of videos.

And it was between this video and one of Obama dressed as Zorro for Halloween when he was 6. They're saving that for the second debate, where it will have more impact.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
...You'll have to go to http://www.askjeeves.comto search for more information on it.
heh.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 AM

This video is stupid and only offends people looking to get offended.

However.

I can see the possibility of it getting traction if only because of something I like to call the 'Jesse Jackson handicap'. Jesse Jackson would never be elected president because he has spent so much time fighting for civil rights for African Americans, civil rights infractions against African Americans is all he sees or is suspected of seeing. A president must represent and protect all of us.

I'll say it again, the video is weak tea served at Da Stoopid Kafay.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Because, see, if a video of Romney hurt Romney, then a video of Obama has to hurt Obama. It's the commutative property of videos.
The idea is to create an impression in the minds of people who aren't paying that much attention that both sides are finding all kinds of videos that make the other side look bad. It will probably work, but this one is such an epic fail that the fail seems to be a bigger story than the video itself.

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be outraged about in this video. Obama talks a little more "black" when he's addressing an audience of black preachers? That's shocking, as long as you've never met anyone with any kind of an accent before.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM

So the truth finally comes out that Obama is a black Democrat. Pack it in guys, it's all over now.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM

This is just the break the McCain campaign has been waiting for!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJ View Post
The idea is to create an impression in the minds of people who aren't paying that much attention that both sides are finding all kinds of videos that make the other side look bad. It will probably work, but this one is such an epic fail that the fail seems to be a bigger story than the video itself.

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be outraged about in this video. Obama talks a little more "black" when he's addressing an audience of black preachers? That's shocking, as long as you've never met anyone with any kind of an accent before.
Even Clinton talks a little more black when she's addressing an audience of black preachers.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM

It's known as code-switching in sociolinguistic circles. It's a totally normal social phenomenon. Everyone does it almost constantly as they move between social settings. I curse like a sailor when I'm with my grad student office mates. I speak professionally when I'm teaching class.

Whoopty fucking doo.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM

I feel like I'm a pretty cynical consumer of political news, immune to the slings and arrows of the latest outrage. But reading the coverage of this on the right-wing blogs is sickening. It's such transparent race-baiting that is just so sad.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Maybe this will be the final clue to the MSM that it's time to stop paying the least bit of attention to Drudge? The only world he should rule would be one completely populated by mouthbreathers.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Perhaps I'm just becoming more rabidly liberal in my old age, but when I clicked the article, my initial response was, "But the government DID discriminate against Hurricane Katrina victims. . ."

Count me int he camp that says this only hurts Obama against the racists who already weren't voting for that colored guy anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
Count me int he camp that says this only hurts Obama against the racists who already weren't voting for that colored guy anyway.
That should be "colored boy". That's how my mother always referred to our black brethren (hey, it was the 50s), so it if it was good enough for her. . . Her mother, on the other hand, was an actual unapologetic racist.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:45 AM

It's not the content per se I'm so pissed about, it is the weakest of tea indeed. It's the blatant collaboration amongst what are supposed to be "news organizations" (and I exclude Drudge from that) participating, in fact collaborating to try to make this news that I'm so pissed about. Every time I think there's a line that fucking Fox News won't cross, they manage to fall beneath my lowest expectations. If this shit gets any kind of traction in the 'lame stream media' beyond outraged condemnation of their journalistic 'peers' I'll be livid beyond words.

Last edited by Truman Burbank; 10-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: I might as well start lividity now...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM

I don't get it. What "news organizations" was FN collaborating with?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I don't get it. What "news organizations" was FN collaborating with?
This link is lacking a lot of specifics, but also mentions The Daily Caller and a conxervative CNN contributor pushing the story on CNN - some guy named Brownstein, if my STM doesn't fail me. I'm quite sure there are more...to be honest, I havent' gone looking to make an exhaustive list, but I'm assuming the usual suspects will also be involved, Rush et al...CNN now not only published the commentary from their contributor Brownstein, but also includes his comments in the article I linked, which is beginning to 'teach the controversy' as far as I'm concerned. Just call it bullshit, already.

Last edited by Truman Burbank; 10-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: putting in more stuff
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM

I got that part. Leaving aside the issue of whether The Daily Caller is a "news organization", what I don't get is how "all the rightwingers parroting Drudge" is "collaborating". There's nothing to indicate they were actually working together. It's not collaboration; it's just shitty journalism.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 10-03-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM

STM fails again

Quote:
This link is lacking a lot of specifics, but also mentions The Daily Caller and a conxervative CNN contributor pushing the story on CNN - some guy named Brownstein, if my STM doesn't fail me. I'm quite sure there are more...to be honest, I havent' gone looking to make an exhaustive list, but I'm assuming the usual suspects will also be involved, Rush et al...CNN now not only published the commentary from their contributor Brownstein, but also includes his comments in the article I linked, which is beginning to 'teach the controversy' as far as I'm concerned. Just call it bullshit, already.

The conservative CNN talking head is named Erick Erickson, not Brownstein.
Now, where are my car keys?

Last edited by Truman Burbank; 10-03-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
And it was between this video and one of Obama dressed as Zorro for Halloween when he was 6. They're saving that for the second debate, where it will have more impact.
Zorro ey? No respect for property rights, that chap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
It's known as code-switching in sociolinguistic circles. It's a totally normal social phenomenon. Everyone does it almost constantly as they move between social settings. I curse like a sailor when I'm with my grad student office mates. I speak professionally when I'm teaching class.

Whoopty fucking doo.
To be fair, some people are hideously inept at it. I notice it happening to my mother when she speaks to a Russian friend and apparently I do it when talking to a Zimbabwean friend (who speaks with an impeccable English accent, but with nuances unrelated to his origin as far as I'm aware).

Last edited by gamerunknown; 10-03-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It's not collaboration; it's just shitty journalism.
There was some degree of collaboration. Drudge and the Daily Caller were deliberately hyping the Hannity airing by talking about how this amazing video contains all these bombshells without revealing the specific video being referenced, even though every political reporter knew what it was. Compare that to the coverage on liberal sites that immediately revealed what the video was before the 9pm EST airing.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

To be fair, the Mitt Romeny video is REALLY hurting him and its worth trying ANYTHING at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraplane View Post
So the truth finally comes out that Obama is a black Democrat. Pack it in guys, it's all over now.
HOLY SHIT!!!!11!!eleventy1!!! Obama is black? Has anyone asked to see his birth certificate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enomaj View Post
Even Clinton talks a little more black when she's addressing an audience of black preachers.
I listent to talk radio and it has been getting pretty ugly (in a racist sort of way) here in DC. Apparently its reverse dog whistle politics where Democrats change their accents and implicitly promise a lot of welfare benefits to black people by doing so.

Quote:
I got that part. Leaving aside the issue of whether The Daily Caller is a "news organization", what I don't get is how "all the rightwingers parroting Drudge" is "collaborating". There's nothing to indicate they were actually working together. It's not collaboration; it's just shitty journalism.
It doesn't bother you that conservative journalists treat the drudge report like its the AP wire?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Whoopty fucking doo.
You had me up until the "whoopity fucking doo."
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Tucker Carlson:
Quote:
You are seeing now the press, which contains many reflexive defenders of Obama – many throne sniffers who instinctively suck up to power – you are seeing them try to dismiss this as old news.
The nerve of them, dismissing an uncontroversial, freely available video from 5 years ago that the MSM (and Tucker Carlson!) reported on at the time, as "old news." What's our world coming to!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I curse like a sailor when I'm with my grad student office mates. I speak professionally when I'm teaching class.
What if it's a class full of sailors?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy where Chris dates the popular mean girl:

Principal: Connie, the person who humiliated you has been humiliated. By the rules of High School, you are now popular again.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM

What's the angle of outrage the Republicans are trying to produce and what is it supposed to accomplish?

Candidate Barack Obama talked some shit about the Federal Government's blatantly shitty response to a disaster. So what? How is reminding people of Hurricane Katrina supposed to help Romney in any way whatsoever?

Is it trying to point out how Obama wants to give more money to poor, unemployable blacks? Some subversive way of expanding the welfare state in the wake of a natural disaster? Because if so, this could really backfire on the Republicans. What was the last good natural disaster in the US? I believe it was a drought and I believe it hit more red states than blue ones. You'd like that recovery aid cut off? Real Americans should be able to solve their own problems without any help from the government? That message is going to be really well received in flyover country right now, where there are a lot of broke-ass white people who literally have no means of making money no matter how hard working, patriotic or Republican they might be.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM

The message is that Obama is a Black Panther who thinks all white people are racists. The message is that Obama's calm demeanor is all a front for his rage at white America. The message is that Obama wants to tax white people and give the money to black people. It's nothing but an appeal to racism.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Also, it's just like, and equivalent to, Romney's 47% tape! It's even!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
It doesn't bother you that conservative journalists treat the drudge report like its the AP wire?
Of course it does. That's why I called it shitty.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Of course it does. That's why I called it shitty.
Well, shitty sounds like an understatement.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I guess we now see Romney's strategy. No wonder he's been so relaxed. He knew all along that he had an ace up his sleeve. Just wait until October and then reveal his big surprise: Barack Obama is black. There's no way people would vote for him after they found that out.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
Yes. Or, as my FIL refers to Pres. Obama, "That nigger in the White House." *sigh*
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 PM

This could cut Romney's support amongst blacks in half. The other guy is pretty solid for him.

Last edited by elucidator; 10-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: You would believe it....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Yet, the fucking retards on the left decided an incident from when Romney was in fucking high school was so fucking important that it warranted many discussions on the main stream media. You fucking hypocrites.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Yet, the fucking retards on the left decided an incident from when Romney was in fucking high school was so fucking important that it warranted many discussions on the main stream media. You fucking hypocrites.
I remember the media covering that extensively in 2008. Or maybe not.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Wow. This charming riposte has entirely caused me to change my mind about Republicans. You're not living in the past after all! "Tu quoque" isn't your favorite logical fallacy debating tactic! And you don't at all exaggerate! What a swell group of ... uh ... people.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Great clip from the Daily Show last night, in which Jon Stewart points out that in 2005 George W. Bush said basically the same thing as Obama about the problems in New Orleans:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...xrs=share_copy

Anyway, it's quite telling that even the Romney campaign doesn't seem to give a shit about this.

All this boils down to is "Obama is a Nigger." And yes, I use the N-word, because that's exactly how the pearl-clutchers most worked up about this faux-controversy see him. These assholes would run a headline that read "Obama sleeping with black chick," if they thought they could get some mileage out of it.

Last edited by joebuck20; 10-04-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
These assholes would run a headline that read "Obama sleeping with black chick," if they thought they could get some mileage out of it.
No need for the conditional.