The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Fage Yogurt? how to eat this stuff?

I bought a container of Fage yogurt after hearing a few friends rave about the superiority of this brand of Greek-style yogurt. For those who havenít seen it, it comes in a little tub with a tiny little side container of a mix-in. I bought the plain yogurt with honey.

So far, so good? No. I have never been confused by yogurt before, but I have a couple of questions:

1. The side of the container says ďPlease Do Not Stir.Ē WTF? Iíve been stirring yogurt all my life. Does that make me some heathen barbarian? What will happen if I stir this one? (Will it explode?)
2. Yogurt lives in the refrigerator. That means the honey in the little sidecar is also refrigerated. Cold honey doesnít mix well into anything easily, especially if youíre, ah, not allowed to stir the mixture.

I really donít need answer fast, as this is my breakfast, Iíve already opened it, and Iíll have finished it off, cold unstirred honey and all, before long. But I want to do this right the next time I want some yogurt-y goodness!
Advertisements  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM

That little side container is bullshit. It's too narrow for you to stick your spoon in there and scrape out the last little bit of fruit or bee vomit. It's a marketing gimmick more than anything else.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Fuck their rules. Stir that shit.

(I've never bought the fage stuff. My greek yogurt has always come pre-mixed.)
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM

I have never tried this "new" version, but did eat yogurt when I was in Greece. They tend to eat theirs almost room temperature...so perhaps the trick is to let it sit outside of the fridge for an hour or so before mixing spreading honey on top?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM

I just take a spoonful of yogurt and dip it in the honey (or fruit). I've tried stirring it before and nothing horrendous happens, it just makes the yogurt a different texture.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM

You let it sit out for five minutes to soften the honey; the varieties with jam in the sidecar don't have this problem. And yes, you are permitted to stir. You'll get yogurt laced with ribbons of honey, yum. If you stir till it's homogenous it's not as perfectly yum.

Last edited by Hello Again; 10-03-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I don't bother with the little cups. I get a big tub of 0% and fruit cups.

I do stir hell out of it, though. So far, no explosions.

I'm a big fan of Greek yogurt, and I've hated (regular) yogurt forever.

Last edited by redtail23; 10-03-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:18 PM

I like the pairing side by side, havent tried one yet. Hope it's easily rinsable for recycling. But the sidecart (!?) probably ups the cost by a buck.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM

First you scoop Fage some into a bowl and pour some of my homemade cherry "slurry" over top. Pour all you want, I made close to 40 pints this year for this very purpose. Then you eat it by scooping a little of each as you go, until you get tied of that and decide to mix them. What's that you say, you didn't make any cherry slurry this year? My heart goes out to you but my family only keeps me around for the slurry so I have none to spare.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM

I stirred it and police showed up at my door. They would have given me just a warning but they found out I had also torn the tags off my mattress and pillows, so I was toast.

I'm writing this from prison.

P.S. I scoop the fruit stuff into the yogurt and stir a little. I leave some unstirred, as I always give my doggies the last two spoonfuls and I don't give them the fruit.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM

I've had it before and also Chobani, which also has the little side cup. I never saw on either that I wasn't supposed to stir them. How else do you mix the fruit with the yogurt? For me, I just tipped the sidecar into the yogurt and it fell out easily, then I'd stir it. No need to stick the spoon in the little cup, but then I only had the strawberry kind.

For the record, Fage tends to begin to look like cottage cheese even before it expires so I refuse to eat it anymore. I also prefer yogurt that I don't have to premix, although I make an exception for Liberte, my favorite. My dog licks the bottom of the cup too.

Also, Fage, really? I know they pronounce it "Fayay" but it's Fage. Like phage. Like corprophage. So the association isn't very flattering to me.

Last edited by Sister Vigilante; 10-03-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:37 PM

I always just squeeze the fruit from the little cup onto the top of the yogurt, then just use my spoon to go straight down into the yogurt. No mixing.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM

You are misunderstanding the directions. By "do not stir" they mean to sit still in your chair and consume it. If you stir, or move about, you may dribble some on your chin.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM

No no no... take the sidecar of honey and bend it up and over to allow the honey to ooze into the yogurt section. Perhaps you can wedge the whole contraption under a book, or in my case I wedge it under the monitor. About five minutes will do it.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Stirring Fage ruins its texture. It's meant to be firm and creamy, not liquidy and gloppy like Yoplait.

As for the honey, you spoon a bit onto the top of the yogurt and then dip your spoon downward to get some honey and some yogurt in each bite. The contrasts in textures and flavors makes for a much better experience than stirring the honey in and making it all uniform.

For what it's worth, I buy plain Fage (zero) without the sidecar of honey. I provide my own honey, so I just drizzle it on a little bit at a time.

Last edited by Acsenray; 10-03-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
That little side container is bullshit. It's too narrow for you to stick your spoon in there and scrape out the last little bit of fruit or bee vomit. It's a marketing gimmick more than anything else.
You're onto something here. I've used the handle end of my spoon, but then that mucks up the handle and the back of my hand. Too much is left in the sidecar.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM

I must have smaller spoons. It was delicious, but I see now what you meant about stirring messing with the texture. Will try the simple drizzle next time.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM

I like the honey cold. I scoop a bit onto my spoon, also scoop some yogurt on there, and suck the semisolid honey and yogurt off. Deeelicious.

Stirring poisons the yogurt.

Last edited by Viridiana; 10-03-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM

The sidecar is a marketing ploy. I'm also not impressed with Fage -- yes, it's a tad denser than Chobani, but that's it IMO.

Besides I like to mix my yogurt and fruit/honey/whatever. The denseness of Greek yogurt means that it'll never meld into something smooth and creamy like Yoplait: You're always going to have those "ribbons" in there.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Stirring Fage ruins its texture. It's meant to be firm and creamy, not liquidy and gloppy like Yoplait.
This, as far as stirring. The texture is not an insignificant part of what separates it from your cheap yogurts. Personally, I'm perfectly content to eat it plain because it's just that awesome, but when I have wanted to eat it with other stuff, like granola or fruit, one goes on top of the other and it's not mixed up.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Wasn't Fage an awful disease in Star Trek where the skin fell off of those who were affected?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
The sidecar is a marketing ploy. I'm also not impressed with Fage -- yes, it's a tad denser than Chobani, but that's it IMO.
I tried Chobani after trying Fage. I see no reason to have Chobani.

Quote:
Besides I like to mix my yogurt and fruit/honey/whatever. The denseness of Greek yogurt means that it'll never meld into something smooth and creamy like Yoplait: You're always going to have those "ribbons" in there.
As I said, that's the whole point of strained Greek-style yogurt. It's like a firm custard. That's exactly why I like it better than Dannon or Yoplait.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM

The manufacturers are rarely the best judges of how to use their own products so stir if you like.
It is purely a textural and mouthfeel issue. If you like that sort of thing you can leave it unstirred and have chunks of it with honey. Or, if you are using it as an ingredient for curries and soups or perhaps as a dip then of course stirred is the way to go.

The Fage brand is decent enough and well known over here in the UK (though I prefer Lidl's MASSIVE buckets of the stuff) In any case, for those worrying about shelf life, don't be. I've had pots of it in the fridge for weeks and as long as the lid is on and you give it a quick sniff test you'll be good to go. I've never had refrigerated greek yoghurt go off. Hell it is "off" milk anyway, how much more "off-er" can it get?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
First you scoop Fage some into a bowl and pour some of my homemade cherry "slurry" over top. Pour all you want, I made close to 40 pints this year for this very purpose. Then you eat it by scooping a little of each as you go, until you get tied of that and decide to mix them. What's that you say, you didn't make any cherry slurry this year? My heart goes out to you but my family only keeps me around for the slurry so I have none to spare.
Shiftless, don't you recognize me? I'm your long-lost cousin! I will PM you my address so you can mail some of our famous family cherry slurry to me ASAP.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Wow, have we found a new "MINE is The Correct Right And Proper Way You Clueless Heathen!!" to argue about? Goody, I was getting bored with toilet paper direction and shoes in the house...

Greek yogurt is clumpy and thick. European style yogurt is smooth and thin. (American mass market yogurt is sweet and gelatinous and comes in scary colors.)

They're really related but different foods, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's like saying cheddar is right and swiss is wrong.

But yes, if you stir Greek yogurt, you'll make it more like European yogurt, and then what's the point of buying Greek yogurt? Unless, of course, what you want is something in between Greek and European yogurt, in which case...stir away. Just know that if you don't finish it in one sitting, you're going to come back to lots of separated whey. You haven't ruined it, just stir it back in, but it looks kinda gross.

Yes, Greek yogurt will get even firmer and form visible curds if you let it sit around a long time in the fridge. This is not a bug, it's a feature. Eventually, you'll get a lowfat fresh cheese, which you can spread on biscuits and top with fruit preserves or put in cheesecake or omelets or just about anything you'd do with cream cheese. (You can speed this up by giving it a stir and then draining your yogurt in cheesecloth.)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM

I heard an interesting story on NPR about the Greek yogurt craze and how the knock-off brands are cheating the system. Apparently Fage and Choboni are really Greek-style yogurt but store-brands like Safeway and even Yoplait just add cornstarch or something to replicate the mouth-feel of the Greek-style.

Ah, found it: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...purists-fuming
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
SDSAB

If you stir, Willem Dafoe (the Fage ad voiceover guy) comes over to your house and looks at you menacingly.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Every time I look up Fage on Sparkpeople it says "Did you mean face?" Yep, I totally had face for breakfast.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Wasn't Fage an awful disease in Star Trek where the skin fell off of those who were affected?
Yes, but spelled Phage. Which is why I don't eat it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM

I thought the title was FaCe yogurt and really thought this was a darker, kinkier thread.

Sorry.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

"Phage" just means "eat", which ought to be a perfectly appropriate name for a foodstuff.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Actually, "Fage" is not pronounced like "Phage."
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM

It's not jumped on the "Greek!" bandwagon, and it's probably one of the most expensive brands at my local Safeway, but I am LOVING Noosa brand yoghurt. Yes, they even spell it right, since it's based on an Australian yoghurt culture, but made in the US. It's almost cheesy flavoured, it's so rich, and the fruit compotes are very nice, my favourite is the strawberry rhubarb.

I wonder if I were to use it as my starter culture, if it would make homemade yoghurt quite as yummy? I don't really want to mess around with cheesecloth, though.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Don't get the kind that has honey or anything else. Just buy plain Fage yogurt.

Insert yogurt into mouth.

Repeat.

If you don't finish the container, and fridge the rest, yes it's OK to stir it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post

I wonder if I were to use it as my starter culture, if it would make homemade yoghurt quite as yummy? I don't really want to mess around with cheesecloth, though.
I think most yoghurts work well as starters. Certainly the Fage stuff does.
My method? two pints of full fat milk to just under finger temp. Two big dollops of greek yoghurt and stir. Stick it in a thermos overnight. Tip into a muslin lined sieve to strain off.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM

With the Fage sidecar, rather than scooping it out with a spoon (nigh impossible) I flip it up over the yogurt cup and squeeze the contents out.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM

I am writing down all the brands peole are mentioning and will try some of them. I've tried some store brands and the Dannon greek yohurt and they were all bad. Not just not good - bad. We debate Fage vs Chobani in my house. No other kind we've tried so far has come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Actually, "Fage" is not pronounced like "Phage."
It is in my house. Yes, we know it's wrong but it's ingrained in our language now. "WHO ATE ALL THE PHAGE?!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca3799 View Post
Shiftless, don't you recognize me? I'm your long-lost cousin! I will PM you my address so you can mail some of our famous family cherry slurry to me ASAP.
I would love to oblige but even my sister only got one 8 oz container of cherry goodness. I suggested she might try some homemade peach jam instead and got that tight-lipped glare sisters do sometimes.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 PM

I like Fage best of all the brands of Greek yogurt I've tried. I didn't stir it, but I also didn't realize you were not supposed to stir it. I only buy the kind without additives so I never saw the side car. I only stir yogurt if it's got separated (some clear liquid next to the white part) anyway.

I like it plain. I usually dip it onto flavored potato or corn chips. I like the 2% best but all %s are good.

Other brands (Dannon, Chobani, etc) are not bad, and the store brands I've tried have been ok too, but Fage is just better tasting.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
With the Fage sidecar, rather than scooping it out with a spoon (nigh impossible) I flip it up over the yogurt cup and squeeze the contents out.
This how they show it on the commercials.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM

Out of Trader Joe's greek yogurt, Oikos, Chobana, Voskos, and Fage, I like Fage the best. Perhaps it's because Fage is the first kind I ever tried and held all others to that standard, but as others said it's just nicely dense and creamy. I haven't had any desire to return to the Dannon and Yoplait of my childhood. As others have mentioned, they've begun to make their own "greek" yogurt but if you look closely at the ingredients, you'll see a LOT more than the usual milk and cultures of real greek yogurt. They add in sweeteners and binders such as corn starch and gums.

The sidecar to me is a big ripoff. Same amount of money for way less yogurt. Honey is okay but I find that the other fruit jellies are WAY too sweet (and this is coming from a person who loves sweet stuff!) I like to add in my own jelly or, better yet, my own chopped fruit and a little granola.

Fage also makes a good substitute for sour cream on things like tacos, potatoes, etc. I have yet to try cooking with it, though. I don't think it would hold up as well as sour cream.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonikosuru View Post
Fage also makes a good substitute for sour cream on things like tacos, potatoes, etc. I have yet to try cooking with it, though. I don't think it would hold up as well as sour cream.
Holds up very well, but it doesn't heat as well. Having less fat and more milk proteins, it will curdle if you let it get too hot. I turn off the heat under the dish (usually stroganoff) and let it cool for a few minutes before I add the yogurt.

I also use it in my ranch dressing now: 1 cup Fage, 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup Hellmans lowfat mayo (yes, it's one of the few items I'm brand loyal about) and my buttermilk powder/herb mix, then milk as needed to thin. Considering that my household somehow goes through a quart of buttermilk dressing a week (my son puts it on everything), using 0% Fage for half the bulk really cuts down on the calorie load in a significant way!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 PM

I have never been a fan of Greek yogurt but you guys made Fage sound so good that I bought a tub. I got the 2% stuff without the sidecar (no way in hell I'm paying extra for honey when I have a bottle sitting on my counter).

The end result is that I'm in love. I like it without the honey but I like it more with. It is so good. I love the texture and the mix of flavors. It's perfection. The tub says there are two servings in it but I can't see how. I have had 3 so far (the first one was way too much though) and I still have enough for breakfast tomorrow. I think I can easily get 5 servings out of one tub. With my own honey, it's well worth the price.

Thanks for bringing this lovely stuff to my attention!

Oh and I don't much like the drizzle of honey because some bites have too much and others have too little. I solved the don't stir problem by lightly folding it in. Works perfectly.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM

One of us! One of us!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Holds up very well, but it doesn't heat as well. Having less fat and more milk proteins, it will curdle if you let it get too hot. I turn off the heat under the dish (usually stroganoff) and let it cool for a few minutes before I add the yogurt.
You heat sour cream? Ew.

Well, maybe in recipes, but not as a condiment. It's supposed to be straight- from-the-fridge cold. Otherwise it's a gloopy mess.

Though wouldn't curdling make it taste more like sour cream?

Last edited by BigT; 10-08-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
You heat sour cream? Ew.
Yes, like I said, for stroganoff, as well as a couple of soup recipes I've got. Don't want it to boil, generally, as it can still separate, but you can heat it. Not so much with yogurt. No, curdling doesn't make it taste more like sour cream, it gives it a yucky grainy mouth feel.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Hey, I was a greek yogurt stirrer for some time. Last night, I don't know what happened, but, I just didn't stir. . . I don't regret it. I think I'm not stirring from this point on. Try it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
You heat sour cream? Ew.

Well, maybe in recipes, but not as a condiment. It's supposed to be straight- from-the-fridge cold. Otherwise it's a gloopy mess.

Though wouldn't curdling make it taste more like sour cream?
Sour cream's an ingredient in plenty of hot dishes, many of Eastern European extraction. Since it's mixed in homogenously with other things, it's texture is not of concern.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congodwarf View Post
I have never been a fan of Greek yogurt but you guys made Fage sound so good that I bought a tub. I got the 2% stuff without the sidecar (no way in hell I'm paying extra for honey when I have a bottle sitting on my counter).

The end result is that I'm in love. I like it without the honey but I like it more with. It is so good. I love the texture and the mix of flavors. It's perfection. The tub says there are two servings in it but I can't see how. I have had 3 so far (the first one was way too much though) and I still have enough for breakfast tomorrow. I think I can easily get 5 servings out of one tub. With my own honey, it's well worth the price.

Thanks for bringing this lovely stuff to my attention!

Oh and I don't much like the drizzle of honey because some bites have too much and others have too little. I solved the don't stir problem by lightly folding it in. Works perfectly.
** curtseys politely ** My work here is done.

** exits stage left **