The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Okay, they gotta lose the political subplot. It just feels like a distraction every time they cut back to it.
Advertisements  
Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 PM

I hate saying this because I adore Connie Britton, but she doesn't have a strong singing voice and generally doesn't look at home onstage the way someone who's been performing for 20+ years should.

They did a nice job adding some layers to Juliette's character. I like that she wants to be more than the teenybopper flavor of the month. At the end she seemed to realize that she just can't force the kind of maturity and bond that Rayna and Deacon have together, nor can she really compete with it.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Another good episode overall. I really like the music in this show, and it is fun to see familiar landmarks being used. My biggest complaint is that Powers Booth is still too cartoonish.

I thought they revealed the Jayna/Deacon backstory in a way that provided a lot of exposition in a fairly natural way, without characters resorting to reminding each other of stuff they both know for the audience's benefit.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
it is fun to see familiar landmarks being used.
Hmm, now that I take a second look, I don't think Musica (from my link) is the sculture they were using in Juliet's video after all. Pretend I linked to the Batman building instead.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 AM

I missed the second episode because the premier of season 2 of "American Horror Story" was on opposite it. If I don't get enthusiastic about seeking out the episode elsewhere, that may be the end of it for me.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Skammer;15603246]Another good episode overall. I really like the music in this show, and it is fun to see familiar landmarks being used. My biggest complaint is that Powers Booth is still too cartoonish.
QUOTE]

I finally figured out who he reminds me of (despite previous refernces) JR Ewing.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

As I said in the Great Ongoing Guitar Thread:

Quote:
Guitar Geek Cred alert: I love it when actual music folks are involved in a show about music, and with T-Bone Burnett involved with Nashville, good guitar things happen. Without engaging in plot details, The Little Blonde Tart gave the Band Leader She's Trying to Seduce Over to Her Band a 1938 Martin 00-42 as an...offering. The fact that it was presented that way and they picked a guitar like that...swoon.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Yeah, I was wondering if that was some kind of magical guitar. Did they only make a few of them or something? Why so special?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if that was some kind of magical guitar. Did they only make a few of them or something? Why so special?
- 1938 = Golden Era for Martin - "prewar" so it has certain build characteristics that players value and that has led to big collectibility

- Style 42 = fancy and blingy with pearl inlay, made with their best materials and with the most attention. Not the blingiest - that's typically their style 45 - but 42 is up there.

- The Clapton Factor = Clapton's Unplugged guitar was a 1939 000-42. This 00 is the next body size smaller, but Clapton's use of a smaller-bodied, vintage prewar, high-end Martin really energized the market for these.

- Scarcity - yep, because they were a pricey model back then, too, there were only a few dozen 42's and 45's produced any given year for any given body size.

A prewar D-45 (D = dreadnaught, currently the most desired size) goes for several hundred thousand $$...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM

This may get cancelled, but it sounds like it's good for a full season. link
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM

I hope it doesn't get cancelled! It's very entertaining, and I love the music.

(Ever since watching the last episode I've been on the verge of going to iTunes to buy "No One Will Ever Love You"...)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 AM

I've been looking for a good drama soap to sink my teeth into, and I think this is it. I haven't been confused by who the different characters are and for the most part the story turns have been believeable, Powers Booth notwithstanding. Connie Britton keeps me riveted, surprisingly, since I thought she was a huge downer in American Horror Story. Does anyone know if all the actors are doing their own singing? I assume so, but I always find it fascinating when a good actor is also a good singer. I don't know much about country music but it seems to me that the songs featured on the show are good enough to make singer/stars out of the performers.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Some of the music is pretty catchy..
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
Does anyone know if all the actors are doing their own singing?
Yes.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm a Connie Britton fan, but so far I'm not crazy about her voice. I did wind up buying "No One Will Ever Love You," and have listened to it several times: her solo singing is kind of just this side of good. Passable, and better than some others I've heard, but kind of thin and a touch...I don't know...like, maybe she doesn't have much of a range outside of that tune (?). She sounds great during the duet parts, though: her voice meshes well with Charles Esten's. But he's clearly the stronger singer (so is Hayden Panettierre), and I wouldn't buy her as a Reba McEntire-type figure based solely on that song.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 PM

I thought the first episode was great, but last week wasn't, so I was a little worried -- shouldn't've been. These characters are not particularly cartoony (except for Powers Booth), and clearly there's going to be some pretty intricate plotting.

Liked how the young girl's BF was so supportive of her -- but also in that recording booth to meet the producer. Is he a good guy or a bad guy?

And the sister -- still not clear whether she's a good guy or a bad guy. What game is she playing?

Plus, though it looked like the tour question was settled in the first ep, I'm not sure it's been settled yet. Loved the ending with Juliette -- and the previews [which I will not specify for the purists who insist that previews are spoilers] ... man, I'll be there next week.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

There does seem to be some welcome depth to these characters. Juliette's mommy issues have come home to roost (literally), and even Rayna's dad - though still the most stereotypical - has been given a bit of backstory. Deacon and Rayna are both genuinely torn, and Juliette has a little more going on than the naked ambition she displayed early on. And yes, we still don't really know how Avery (the punk boyfriend) and Tandy (the shadowy sister) are going to act/react in their respective situations.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Really liking the show, and hope they follow up on the promise of adding a little depth to Powers Booth's character. Also, of course, another excellent episode of music. "Fade Into You" sounded great.

Highlight - Rayna talking to Deacon and being unable to not cry. Connie Britton was awesome.

I was a little bit confused with the very last scene in the grocery store (Kroger!). I thought Juliette saw those girls watching her, so when she lifted the nail polish I thought maybe she was trying to capture some headlines or something. But that doesn't really make sense and the previews don't make it sound like she planned to be seen.

Also I was surprised and glad when Deacon said 'no' to her at the end - I was sure he had given up on Rayna. Guess he's really torn.

Last edited by Skammer; 10-25-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I was a little bit confused with the very last scene in the grocery store (Kroger!). I thought Juliette saw those girls watching her, so when she lifted the nail polish I thought maybe she was trying to capture some headlines or something. But that doesn't really make sense and the previews don't make it sound like she planned to be seen.
Clearly she saw them -- not sure what her motivation was, but perhaps some mix of "They're my fans," I can do anything I want," "I'm not sure where the limits are," and your classic cry for help. Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it will be explored in some depth next week.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 AM

I still adore this show mainly because of Hayden Panettiere, but I rolled my eyes for the first time yesterday. Rayna's getting a little annoying for me. She has a beautiful home, a gorgeous husband and two lovely little girls, but she's all about, "poor me". The back story added to Powers Boothe's character was much welcomed and I agreed with him to an extent that Rayna's doing just what her mother did-having an (emotional at this point) affair and neglecting her kids (if she goes on tour). With her husband running for office, he's not going to have time for their girls so who's going to care for them?? He's supported her through her career, so like he said in a previous episode, she needs to suck it up and let HIM be a star for a change. Which it sounds like he's going to be although not in the way he expects: with as fast as he got out of the credit union office when he heard about the audit it looks like we're in for some fireworks. Looking forward to that.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Clearly she saw them -- not sure what her motivation was, but perhaps some mix of "They're my fans," I can do anything I want," "I'm not sure where the limits are," and your classic cry for help. Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it will be explored in some depth next week.
Hmm, I dunno. She did see them, yes, but when she glanced at them they were not paying attention to her at all, so she may have thought they hadn't noticed her. She definitely did not notice that they recognized her and pulled out the phone; at that point she was scanning the aisle in front of her before slipping the item (was it nail polish?) in her bag.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 AM

Still watching, but this show has quickly sunk to pure soap opera story lines.
As much as I hate country music, some of the songs in this show have been quite nice - more of an indy label than Grand Ol Opry stuff.
We'll see how this goes, but if it does turn into General Hospital - Prime Time Edition, we might stop watching.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Still watching, but this show has quickly sunk to pure soap opera story lines.
Funny, I think it pretty much started with pure soap opera story lines.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I'm a Connie Britton fan, but so far I'm not crazy about her voice. I did wind up buying "No One Will Ever Love You," and have listened to it several times
I bought "If I didn't know better" and will likely buy "Fade Into You" (and I liked the little girls' version cut down version of "Telescope") - in contrast, I didn't buy anything from Smash.

It's a nighttime soap, but it's a pretty well done nighttime soap. And I can see that they threw everything into these first few episodes to see what works and what doesn't - but it's good enough for me to let it have time to figure itself out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
With her husband running for office, he's not going to have time for their girls so who's going to care for them?? He's supported her through her career, so like he said in a previous episode, she needs to suck it up and let HIM be a star for a change.
I'd agree with this more if her husband had always wanted to be in politics. As it seems, he had been in banking/real estate/business until his father-in-law (with whom his wife has a very strained relationship) said "Hey, I need to make you my mayoral puppet! <Insert Evil Laugh>" and he kind of agreed because he had nothing better to do that afternoon.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I bought "If I didn't know better" and will likely buy "Fade Into You" (and I liked the little girls' version cut down version of "Telescope") - in contrast, I didn't buy anything from Smash.
I've never bought anything from Smash, either, despite my abiding love for one of the primary songwriters on it (Marc Shaiman). And I've never bought anything from Glee. It took Nashville to bring me to the dark side of buying songs from TV shows.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I haven't downloaded any of the songs yet, but I did play "If I Didn't Know Better" on Youtube for my wife last night.

Then I looked at a video of it being sung by The Civil Wars, and hey! I know her! I used to be in a Bible study with Joy Williams from the Civil Wars. Yay for her.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Are Rayna and Deacon still doing the tour together or not? I was confused by that last conversation between them.

The girls' version of "Telescope" was the best part of the episode.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
Are Rayna and Deacon still doing the tour together or not? I was confused by that last conversation between them.
I don't think that's been resolved.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 PM

This may just be my soap opera antenna, but since Rayna's mother had her affair with a country singer, any chance he could be Rayna's real dad? Could be where she got her talent from. Like mother like daughter, if so, since Deacon is Maddie's father.

I'm sorry, Deacon, but 20 years is a long time to carry a torch. Get on with your life and quit giving your talent away to the women in your life.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Yeah, that was my first thought, too, when Tandy said their mother had had an affair -- that the lover was Rayna's father. (Do we know which sister is older?)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I hadn't thought of that twist (Rayna's dad) but it makes sense story-wise. That would even be more motivation for him to hate her country music career.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Your Guide to the Indistinguishable Men of Nashville - Hilarious!

Quote:
Is he sad? Could be any of them.
Is he playing a guitar? Could be anyone.
Does he have scraggly facial hair? Inconclusive.
... Is he making a bitchface? That's Avery.
LOL!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM

That's excellent, thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM

OK. Did I miss something? What exactly did Deacon do to get Rayna and Teddy so upset that she is going to fire him? I am so confused.

Glad Tandy finally had some backbone with Avery, who is such a dick. She so reminds me of a battered woman so afraid to make hubby upset. I hope he doesn't go to that batterer place. That would be so sad.

Well, Teddy has a playmate. And he's so self-righteous with Rayna about Deacon. What a total jerk. So far only decent guys are Deacon and song-writing dude. Paltry pickins'
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running piglet cheese View Post
OK. Did I miss something? What exactly did Deacon do to get Rayna and Teddy so upset that she is going to fire him? I am so confused.
Got into an argument with Teddy and the father right before the performance. Not sure it's a fireable offense, except she's such a basket case at the moment. I will be curious to see whether she really fires him or not.

Quote:
Well, Teddy has a playmate. And he's so self-righteous with Rayna about Deacon. What a total jerk. So far only decent guys are Deacon and song-writing dude. Paltry pickins'
Playmate or something else? They made it sound like it was some one-time event, not an ongoing affair. I look forward to finding out more.

I am totally digging how much story they're packing into each episode. Will Juliette be able to rescue the tour? Will Deacon go with her? What's going to happen in the young-uns' trio?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 PM

That argument was instigated by Teddy and dear ol' Dad and Deac hardly said anything. Why would she be more mad at him that those two? I thought he showed amazing restraint. If I were her I would be much more mad at my hubby for being so out of line to someone there to perform for his fund raiser.

Juliette has definitely dug herself into a hole. Maybe she will go on tour w/Rayna now, but as her opening act instead of the other way around.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
That argument was instigated by Teddy and dear ol' Dad and Deac hardly said anything. Why would she be more mad at him that those two?
Because she's having sex dreams about him and feels guilty.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Glad Tandy finally had some backbone with Avery, who is such a dick. She so reminds me of a battered woman so afraid to make hubby upset. I hope he doesn't go to that batterer place. That would be so sad.

The episode was ending and I mentioned to my wife that I feel as if we missed an episode. Although, there was an extended newsbreak about 15 minutes into the b/cast for us to cover a press conference for NY Guv Cuomo, so I figured it was possible we missed something. We didn't understand what had suddenly happened between Deacon & Rayna, and we assumed there was an explanation for why Juliette pocketed the nail polish.

I don't think Teddy's little bit on the side is a sexual thing; I suspect it has something to do with his financial troubles, or something else. To make her an affair seems too obvious.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 AM

Kleptomania often occurs in people who can afford to buy what they steal. She's stealing it not because she needs it but because she needs to control something in her life and god knows it's not going to be her mother.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
and we assumed there was an explanation for why Juliette pocketed the nail polish.
Juliette explained that she used to do it when she was a kid, and it made her feel like she could take care of herself.

They do seem to be moving Rayna and Juliette closer to the inevitable tour together.

I think the thing between Teddy and his side piece is/was sexual, but we'll see if it's still going on.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM

"I think the thing between Teddy and his side piece is/was sexual, but we'll see if it's still going on."

Was that Kimberly Williams? I had a hell of a celeb-ri-crush on her at one time.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Was that Kimberly Williams? I had a hell of a celeb-ri-crush on her at one time.
I believe it was Shiri Appleby.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 PM

I win.

I know my girl. That whole thing with Paisley...I'm waiting it out. Yep, just biding my time.

Any day now...
Old 11-01-2012, 06:07 PM

I'm an idiot. Shiri Appleby guest-starred on Chicago Fire. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. Another prime time soap opera. Leave me alone. I get enough reality in my reality.)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 PM

Just saw a picture of Deacon (Charles Eston) at the CMA awards and he sure is sexy. Much sexier with the scruffy beard look than smooth shaven and usually I don't like that look at all. Oh well, a girl can dream.

Rewatched fight scene w/Deacon and Teddy and still don't get why Rayna is so mad at him.

Tandy is as cute as a button and I like her voice better than anyone's. Deacon gave her real good advice and it seems she took it.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I win.

I know my girl. That whole thing with Paisley...I'm waiting it out. Yep, just biding my time.

Any day now...
Nice. I actually knew her -- well, met her -- in college. She was two or three years behind me but I was friends with a couple of her sorority sisters and we had some other friends in common. She and I probably never had more than one conversation though.

So anyway, I watched the episode last night, and here are my thoughts:

1. Rayna seems to have decided to fire Deacon mainly to spare Teddy. She saw the way Deacon stared him down during the song at the country club. I think she really does love Teddy (but loves Deacon more).

2. I'm not sure Teddy and Peggy have or had a sexual relationship. I'd say it's likely but I think they were really talking about shady financial dealings and keeping those secret.

3. Is this the first episode that didn't end with a song played over a montage of various plot threads? I know it's formulaic but I kind of missed it. Maybe they felt the song at the club was enough music for the episode.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

3. Is this the first episode that didn't end with a song played over a montage of various plot threads? I know it's formulaic but I kind of missed it. Maybe they felt the song at the club was enough music for the episode.
Not enough music in general, I'm surprised to find myself saying. The country club performance was pretty much the only song we heard in the whole thing -- nothing from Scarlett and the guy who got laid, nothing from Juliette.

Plus, I'm still the eentsiest bit confused -- is Juliette's manager one of the guys who slept with her in the first ep? I don't really think he was, but have we seen that guy (who was he, a producer?) since?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not enough music in general, I'm surprised to find myself saying. The country club performance was pretty much the only song we heard in the whole thing -- nothing from Scarlett and the guy who got laid, nothing from Juliette.

Plus, I'm still the eentsiest bit confused -- is Juliette's manager one of the guys who slept with her in the first ep? I don't really think he was, but have we seen that guy (who was he, a producer?) since?
I agree, the episode needed another song.

And I'm pretty sure that guy she slept with in the first episode was a record producer, not her manager. Her manager is older, for one thing. Although I also think Deacon is too old to be shagging Juliette (the actors are 47 and 23, respectively).
Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Just caught up with this after an involuntary power outage (Sandy, you bitch). Random thoughts:
Quote:
Quote:
Tandy is as cute as a button and I like her voice better than anyone's. Deacon gave her real good advice and it seems she took it.
You mean Scarlett, Deacon's niece and budding songwriter. Tandy is Rayna's sister.
Quote:

I agree; not enough music. And yes, as Skammer said, the (other) guy Juliette slept with in the first episode was Randy, the record producer, who we haven't seen recently (I would guess because nobody is recording at the moment; both Juliette and Rayna are ostensibly prepping for tours - their new music is already out).

Storylines are definitely getting a bit more complex and a bit more soapy. Did anybody else catch the tidbit that Cole (Teddy's opposing candidate for mayor) is also Deacon's (presumably AA) sponsor? That adds a bit of depth to that character's relationship not only with Deacon, but Rayna as well (I imagine helping Deacon during that time would have made her immeasurably grateful).

I like Hailey (Gunnar's new girl), but this being a soap, I'm wondering if she's really into him or just getting close 'cause she thinks he'll be successful. Did Scarlett seem a bit jealous when she saw them together the morning after?

Regarding Rayna/Deacon/Teddy - yeah, Teddy comes across as a bit more of a douchebag here. I mean, he obviously knows Rayna's history with Deacon, and may be justifiably upset about that, but the hypocrisy is strong with this one. Will be interesting to see if Rayna fires Deacon, and Rayna winds up touring with Juliette, and Deacon winds up playing in Juliette's band.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
Juliette explained that she used to do it when she was a kid, and it made her feel like she could take care of herself.
That's a good enough reason as to why she stole it, but it fails when you realize that she first looked over at the trio of fans down the aisle, realized they were looking at her, then immediately pocketed the nail polish with full knowledge that they'd see her do it. It was set up to make you think she was intentionally trying to create a scandal, knowing that at the very least the rumor mill would start. But then she seems so surprised that it made it to YouTube, or whatever the non-trademarked network-approved YouTube-like online video channel surrogate was. The "reason" she gave her manager at the end of the episode felt hollow.

Last edited by corkboard; 11-05-2012 at 08:23 AM..