The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
That's a good enough reason as to why she stole it, but it fails when you realize that she first looked over at the trio of fans down the aisle, realized they were looking at her, then immediately pocketed the nail polish with full knowledge that they'd see her do it.
No. No she didn't. You're forcing me to quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Ed View Post
Hmm, I dunno. She did see them, yes, but when she glanced at them they were not paying attention to her at all, so she may have thought they hadn't noticed her. She definitely did not notice that they recognized her and pulled out the phone; at that point she was scanning the aisle in front of her before slipping the item (was it nail polish?) in her bag.
I think it's obvious at this point she did not know she was being recorded at that point.
Advertisements  
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I think Just Ed is right. My first impression when I watched was that she was trying to be seen stealing the nail polish, but I think she was looking at the girls to make sure they weren't looking. She was just being stupid.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

And.... pretty much no discussion of the shoplifting incident this week.

I love me a good complicated soap, but I think this episode makes it clear that they've got one plot line too many that they're trying to keep going, and the one that is breaking the camel's back is the husband-and-father/campaign for mayor.

I hope they drop it -- I'm really rooting for this show, but last night's ep was seriously meh for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

To be fair, the consequences of the shoplifting incident are still evident, what with Juliette going back into the studio to record again (Hello Randy!) instead of going on tour and her manager and publicist (?) discussing a press release about her being hard at work.

But no argument they're juggling a lot of storylines:
  • Triangle #1: Rayna/Teddy/Deacon. Looks like Deacon is still unsure how to proceed and vacillating between stubbornness and conciliation. Rayna is sincerely trying to move forward (although I find it a little hard to believe she never tried to write a song on her own before). And it was stone cold hanging up on Deacon calling from prison. Teddy spent this episode far too wrapped up in his own campaign and problematic history to even notice (kudos to those of you who guessed the Peggy connection was business-scandal related and not personal).
  • Triangle #2: Scarlett/Avery/Gunnar. Looks like Gunnar wants to get serious with Hailey just as Scarlett may be beginning to question her relationship with Avery. Real jerk move by Avery highjacking the demo to show off, and pretty good reaction from Scarlett realizing Avery likes her better when she's not trying to be successful herself.
  • Triangle #3: Teddy/Cole/Lamar. Cole seems quite willing to go for the jugular with Teddy, but also knows full well he is actually facing Lamar's machine, not just Teddy. Meanwhile, Lamar seems quite capable of smoothing over Teddy's audit problems while digging up dirt on Cole. Teddy sells his soul and agrees to go dirty against Cole.
  • Juliette's Mom. I wonder how much she'll figure into future story lines now that she's in rehab. I suppose she could always leave voluntarily and come back to haunt Juliette, but Juliette has moved, so will Mom even know where to find her?

I thought Esten did a very good job in this one, from his approach to Juliette's mom, his temptation with her pills, and his exasperated fistfight at the end. He brings a real lived-in quality to the character that rings true.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM

I admit that I'm far from a connoiseur of country music, but I find it weird that I'm rarely able to tell the difference between any of the songs on this show. We've heard several times that Juliette's music is disposable crap that's just a watered-down version of real country music, but most of the time, it sounds barely distinguishable from the Rayna/Deacon or Scarlett/Gunnar music. The only thing that ever seems to change is the tempo; it seems like R/D and S/G sing a lot more ballads, while Juliette's stuff is mostly upbeat.

Maybe that's why I'm having a hard time identifying with Rayna. She seems like a Faith Hill type singer, which is fine and good, but presenting her as a contrast to Juliette's "commercial" music just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I'm no connoisseur either, but I think tempo is actually part of it - a snappy, poppy beat combined with facile lyrics specifically; the more serious artists are supposed to have deeper lyrics and more serious sounding music (I guess). Which is not to say that serious music can't be upbeat, but it's an easier distinction to draw in a broad melodrama.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM

That's a good point about the music being a sort of dramatic shorthand. I don't love it, but if that's what they're trying to do, I can see the point. Now I'd like to see Gunnar and Scarlett try something more uptempo. A lot of their ballads all blend together for me as well, but I can chalk that up to me not knowing much about the genre's finer points.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Triangle #2: Scarlett/Avery/Gunnar. Looks like Gunnar wants to get serious with Hailey just as Scarlett may be beginning to question her relationship with Avery. Real jerk move by Avery highjacking the demo to show off, and pretty good reaction from Scarlett realizing Avery likes her better when she's not trying to be successful herself.
I was wondering what happened at that recording session. At one point in the show (during the Teddy/Lamar discussion over whiskey in Lamar's office), we lost the satellite feed because of the snowstorm and I had to go out and brush snow off the dish. I was hoping we hadn't missed anything important, but we were puzzled what had gone down between Scarlett and Avery when she smacked him down for screwing up her chance at recording.

And Juliette's mom has got it goin' on.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was hoping we hadn't missed anything important, but we were puzzled what had gone down between Scarlett and Avery when she smacked him down for screwing up her chance at recording.
There was a little more to it, as well - during the session, Gunnar and Scarlett are singing to each other (of course) and Avery is doing a slow burn as he watches. His playing gets more and more expressive and he essentially does a little bit of a solo in the middle of their demo. Gunnar calls him out on it afterwards, and Avery lashes out at Gunnar for making eyes at his girl - all of which Scarlett overhears from the hallway outside.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
There was a little more to it, as well - during the session, Gunnar and Scarlett are singing to each other (of course) and Avery is doing a slow burn as he watches. His playing gets more and more expressive and he essentially does a little bit of a solo in the middle of their demo. Gunnar calls him out on it afterwards, and Avery lashes out at Gunnar for making eyes at his girl - all of which Scarlett overhears from the hallway outside.
And then they didn't sell the song, with the potential buyer referring to the "song hijacked by the other guitarist" (paraphrase).
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Overall impressions. Not too enamored with this episode. Rayna really came off as a cold bitch between trying to coerce Deacon into giving in on using their song on a commercial and hanging up when he called from prison. Not her best.

Couldn't figure out why after being hung up on by Rayna he suddenly gives in on the song. And, they have him recording w/Juliette with no lead in. Didn't he just tell her he couldn't be there for her?

Music: not a fan of G & S's song at the studio this week. The Fade Into You was much better. This week I really liked Deacon's "Side Show". The lyrics are definitely being used to further clarify the character's innermost feelings I think. Side Show was particularly telling and spot on.
Deacon deserves better. I have a feeling that when Rayna discovers hubby's true dealings she's going to go running to Deacon but it will be too late.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Tomasi View Post
We've heard several times that Juliette's music is disposable crap that's just a watered-down version of real country music, but most of the time, it sounds barely distinguishable from the Rayna/Deacon or Scarlett/Gunnar music. The only thing that ever seems to change is the tempo; it seems like R/D and S/G sing a lot more ballads, while Juliette's stuff is mostly upbeat.
In the pilot, they also complained about having to autotune her and I think the line they're going with is that she's more produced. I don't think it's just the songs- it's the delivery.
Here's Juliette singing Telescope
and here are Rayna's girls with the same song.

I think that's the contrast we're supposed to be making.

As far as last night's episode, I want to know what the words that changed for the commercial were and what they changed to. It would have showed whether Deacon was just being snippy or whether he really wouldn't have wanted those words changed because they might have been meaningful.
Also, hanging up on him from jail was just wrong for anyone you don't want to completely write out of your life forever. Even if you're kind of distanced from someone at the moment, if you ever want to speak with them on cordial terms again, you pick up when they call from jail.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Yes.
The song that ends episode 3 "Fade into You" is pretty damn good... and this is coming from a guy that despises country music and considers In Flames to be amazing.

Are you saying the actors are really singing that song? Or are they musicians playing actors?

Either way, great song.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

The actors definitely do their own singing. They may or may not also be musicians. Britton and Penetierre are not but I don't know about the others.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Charles Esten used to appear on "Whose Line Is It Anyway" as Chip Esten (see page 1 for my freakout about this) -- he used to do song improvs with Wayne Brady.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Here's Juliette singing Telescope
and here are Rayna's girls with the same song.

I think that's the contrast we're supposed to be making.
And the girls doing a "country" version kicked the snot out of Juliette's.

Yikes, of all the changes I'd experience in my dotage, I didn't expect liking country music to be one of them. (Other evidence: Andrew Bird doing "If I Needed You.")
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Charles Esten used to appear on "Whose Line Is It Anyway" as Chip Esten (see page 1 for my freakout about this) -- he used to do song improvs with Wayne Brady.
From the AV club links to Charles "Chip" Esten on "Whose Line"
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

ABC Picks Up 'Nashville' for Full Season
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today
The country-music soap starring Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere as dueling divas is ABC's third full-season renewal — nine more episodes totaling 22 to carry it into spring — along with comedy The Neighbors and returning drama Scandal. Nashville averages about 9 million viewers, and wins its Wednesday 10 p.m. time period in the advertiser-coveted 18-to-49 age group.

Last edited by Skammer; 11-13-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM

Good! Now if they'll just ditch the political plot the show will be better and might make it past one season.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

If it can keep its 18-49 demos (that seems like an awfully broad segment to be very useful) and create enough iTunes traffic, it might do okay. I think you're right that they have one plot too many.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Really enjoyed last night's episode -- good movement on all of the various plots. Not really buying the chemistry between Juliette and the QB (plus, puh-leeze, she has a private jet? I don't think so), but am curious to see where that goes. Also curious to see what happens between Rayna and the label now that she's got this producer she's so excited about. And the politics plot is starting to feel less tacked on.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I agree. There was some good music, Scarlett finally dumped Avery like a bad habit, and the pills that Deacon took from Juliette's mom make an unexpected appearance. Also the shoplifting incident continues to have consequences.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
I ... Scarlett finally dumped Avery like a bad habit ...
Let's hope it sticks.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM

I don't know if it's intended to be so, but every time Avery's band performs, I want to shut the TV off. I think it's terrible music. It sounds like someone is strangling cats. Maybe that's why they didn't get the opening gig.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it's intended to be so, but every time Avery's band performs, I want to shut the TV off.
I don't think so -- I'm not itching to download any of their stuff, but I think it's perfectly okay whatever it is. Kind of liked the lyrics to that song.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also curious to see what happens between Rayna and the label now that she's got this producer she's so excited about.
I like that she's standing up to the record company, but I don't like that the producer idea came out of left field. That felt tacked on to me; we've seen very little of Rayna's tastes (except that she likes Deacon's songs and can't stand Juliette's), and all of a sudden she's hot to get this rock star to produce her next album. His initial rejection of her sounded authentic, while his second listen that segued into a drunken binge/recording session didn't (and did they do more than record a song together?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skammer View Post
. . . Scarlett finally dumped Avery like a bad habit . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffLikeThatThere View Post
Let's hope it sticks.
I hope so too, but it looks like all that's happened is yet another story line, featuring Avery and cougar manager. I do wonder what's going to happen between Gunnar and Hailey when Gunnar finds out his original crush is available.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

In lieu of a new episode this week, how about a couple of links?

10 Reasons 'Nashville' is so Doggone Bad

10 Reasons Why 'Nashville' is a Sight for Sore Eyes (and Ears)

I thought the juxtaposition was funny. Some points I can agree with in both pieces, but I had to laugh at the number 10 item on both:
  • Wasting Britton's Talents
  • Connie Britton is Awesome
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Heh. Funny. Gotta wonder what show the h8er is watching. "The music sucks -- why don't they have great songs like 'Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy'"? Whuh?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM

Well, the politics plot is still feeling tacked on and irrelevant.

Wish we could've heard the lyrics a little better on that final song.

Good ep, though -- only one more before the holiday hiatus!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

That final song sounded really good - I agree it was hard to make out all the lyrics though. I'm sure it will be available on iTunes soon enough
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Closed captioning helps - I'll probably buy it once it's somewhere other than iTunes. The niece didn't quite pull off Ring of Fire.

The political plot was a little better this week, but it still isn't working - they need to just stick to the music based plots.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking about the episode more last night after I posted, but I think amarinth was reading my mind.

The political plot is clunky because it seems like it's part of a different show. It's not tied to the music industry at all, and Powers Boothe just feels wasted. Also, Teddy's opponent's sudden ruthlessness seems a little out of character.

And my other thought was - man, I love Scarlett's voice, but she's no Johnny Cash. She needed to slowly back away when they asked her to sing Ring of Fire.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Good ep, though none of the music blew me away.

Love the QB's mother -- she's excellent. Re: the proposal -- looks from the previews like (spoiled for those who consider previews spoilers, though I'm not one of them)
SPOILER:
he accepted the proposal, but obviously they may or may not get married, judging by the look on her face when she's on the way to the church.

Is Deacon really going to go on tour? Seems unlikely -- unless the tour covers some of the same cities as Rayna's and Juliette's tour, if that happens. Who was he in bed with in the preview? It would actually be kind of cool to see how they handled the storytelling with some or several of the main characters on tour.

Rayna doing the "stand by her man" thing -- for the sake of her kids -- hmm. Gonna be interesting to see how that plays out. Will she emotionally check out of the marriage and go back to Deacon?

Argh, hiatus till January -- I don't want to wait that long to find out all this stuff!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

D'oh! Completely slipped my mind to watch last night. DVR'd it, though, so I'll catch up in the next day or two. Bummer that won't be back until January - hopefully not up against Dallas.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Love the QB's mother -- she's excellent. Re: the proposal -- looks from the previews like (spoiled for those who consider previews spoilers, though I'm not one of them)
SPOILER:
he accepted the proposal, but obviously they may or may not get married, judging by the look on her face when she's on the way to the church.
My problem with the previews is that they seemed to give everything away when it comes to Juliette and QB.
SPOILER:
Showing Juliette having second thoughts on her way to the church makes it pretty obvious that they won't go through with it.
But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rayna doing the "stand by her man" thing -- for the sake of her kids -- hmm. Gonna be interesting to see how that plays out. Will she emotionally check out of the marriage and go back to Deacon?
I think her being willing to consider going on tour with Juliette is emotionally checking out of her marriage. Back to Deacon? probably not quite yet - but definitely getting distance from Teddy.

I don't mind Avery. But I don't like Scarlett as much as the show does or wants me to. Her insecurity (and the way the actress is playing it) isn't endearing, it's annoying. The writers also need to make sure that they don't make the mistake that Smash made - the mistake where all the characters keep telling me how awesome and wonderful and amazing a character is, when the character in question isn't really that awesome and wonderful and amazing. (Or in other words, no one should ever have thought twice about her at best mediocre performance of "Ring of Fire." That there are now plot points that center on it is a bad decision.)

Maybe when they're on tour a third candidate will show up, run for mayor, beat both Teddy and Coleman and that entire plot will get dropped, because it still isn't working.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM

I agree the political plot isn't working. There are enough plot possibilities without it. I wonder if it's just a convoluted device for complicating Rayna's marriage? What a waste of Powers Booth.

Scarlett's constant lip-quivering is really bugging me as well, but I'm still riveted to the show. LOVE Hayden Panettiere.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM

I'm OK with the political subplot at this point- I think the producers are trying to recognize that just because the show is about the Nashville music scene, that doesn't mean that every issue faced by every character on the show will also relate to the Nashville music scene. It's perfectly reasonable to expect Rayna's husband to have a career, and career problems, unrelated to her career. It would be boring to me if nothing happened on the show that wasn't somehow in that orbit.

Maybe Juliette's face in the limo has nothing to do with butterflies/2nd thoughts; maybe she just got a text from her assistant that her mom was released from rehab and is waiting at the church, or something. But I will say that Juliette's personality has taken a complete 180 from Grand Poobah Bitch of the Universe to Sweet Country Wife Wanna-Be With Sugar On Top. Either she (Juliette) is planning something and it's all an act, or the writers are rushing the relationship a bit.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Scarlett's constant lip-quivering is really bugging me as well, but I'm still riveted to the show.
The singer/actress, Clare Bowen, has such an...extreme look with such sharp, prominent cheekbones. When pouty she looks like a sad chipmunk - and yes, a little goes a long way. When she is grooving on the music and getting smokey and sexy, she looks darn near primal.

And yeah, enough with the shyness about performing, but Ring of Fire was the wrong choice. That's a song meant to be sung strongly, and she has a gentle voice. That song only pointed that out even more...

I fell asleep halfway through this ep; I will catch up with the rest today or tomorrow...
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Either she (Juliette) is planning something and it's all an act, or the writers are rushing the relationship a bit.
I don't think it's an act. Juliette made it clear to Deacon that she never had a real family, and she seemed to genuinely enjoy spending time with QB's family. She's the one rushing the relationship, but I'd bet a good sum of money that they'll both come to their senses before they walk down the aisle.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM

I think it's funny how the gender roles are turned around. She's dying to get laid by her QB boyfriend, but he's holding out until marriage, so after- what- two weeks of dating?- she proposes to him. I guess it's only partly so he'll agree to take her to bed and partly to tweak her nose at her future MiL, but it's a turn on the age-old trope of horny guy/chaste girl/rushed marriage proposal/sexy times.

Last night after the 2nd or 3rd time when he pushed her off, my wife said "what, not even oral, or a hand job? Sheesh!"

Last edited by corkboard; 12-06-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
But I will say that Juliette's personality has taken a complete 180 from Grand Poobah Bitch of the Universe to Sweet Country Wife Wanna-Be With Sugar On Top. Either she (Juliette) is planning something and it's all an act, or the writers are rushing the relationship a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
I don't think it's an act. Juliette made it clear to Deacon that she never had a real family, and she seemed to genuinely enjoy spending time with QB's family. She's the one rushing the relationship, but I'd bet a good sum of money that they'll both come to their senses before they walk down the aisle.
Quote:
I think it's funny how the gender roles are turned around. She's dying to get laid by her QB boyfriend, but he's holding out until marriage, so after- what- two weeks of dating?- she proposes to him. I guess it's only partly so he'll agree to take her to bed and partly to tweak her nose at her future MiL, but it's a turn on the age-old trope of horny guy/chaste girl/rushed marriage proposal/sexy times.
My take on it is that it's completely in character -- she wants what she wants when she wants it, without any thought whatsoever of whether she'll want it in ten minutes or not -- or whether there might be better ways to get it. Completely in line with the nail-polish shoplifting thing. She wants to fuck this guy, and, by god [sic], she's gonna do it.

The genuineness of whether she enjoys spending time with the QB's family -- I think she's enjoying playing that role, but I don't know that it would/will amuse her for more than five minutes.

As for whether she will or won't go through with the wedding -- as corkboard says, there are other things that she could be emoting about in the car. If she does, fine, we can watch the marriage fall apart immediately after she's done sucking the life force from him. If she doesn't ... also fine, I have confidence in Callie Khouri that the fallout will turn out to be interesting.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure the show doesn't want to pay any NFL licensing fees, but it's a little odd that in all the scenes with this QB that neither he nor his family nor anyone else ever displays any team memorabilia or mentions the name of his team.* I suppose it should be assumed that he plays for the Titans but it's just unnatural that it ever comes up. The Titans are pretty big news around here, even when they're playing poorly.

*unless it appeared in this week's episode, which I haven't watched yet
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Finally got around to watching the episode - it was good and I actually buy that Juliette really wants what her QB boyfriend has - the loving family.

But what I wanted to say was woot! shoutout to First Prez! (First Presbyterian Church of Nashville)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I don't like Scarlett as much as the show does or wants me to. Her insecurity (and the way the actress is playing it) isn't endearing, it's annoying.
Agreed: I was ready to smack her a little after the last episode. And am I the only person in the world who doesn't like her voice? I'm fine with the voices of everyone else on the show, but whatever it is about her voice that makes it unique also makes it barely listenable (to me). I can't imagine listening to more than two songs in a row by her, let alone an entire album.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM

i've tried to get into this show because my cousin works on the crew, but it's just not my thing. i'm glad people seem to be liking it though. he's thrilled it got picked up for a full season.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM

They're doing a recap of the season so far tonight in the usual time slot, if you've got a friend who you think might enjoy the show.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Was there any new material shown last night, or was it all clips from the first half of the season? And did they show "If I Didn't Know Better" or "Fade Into You"? Because if not, I can wait until the next new episode.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Pure clip show, replete with portentous narration. Only clips of songs, or songs played as background over clips and narration. Did a fairly good job of summarizing the story lines, but completely unnecessary for anyone who's been watching and has a decent memory.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM

I've caught up with the series over the past week and a half (it was sitting in my DVR unwatched) since there weren't any other shows on and quickly got hooked. I'll be sticking with this one going forward.

Quick question on this:

Quote:
And then they didn't sell the song, with the potential buyer referring to the "song hijacked by the other guitarist" (paraphrase).
I'm not anywhere near the music business, but I'm not sure how Avery's guitar flourishes killed the deal here. The group was listening to the song with an eye to performing it, so they wanted to get a sense of the songcraft, how it would sound, etc. But they weren't interested in that specific performance. If they liked it all the way through until the guitar solo (which was at the end of the song), I don't understand how they'd just walk away. Wouldn't they just not record the guitar solo?