The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Little Things You Find Creepy

There is an active thread for long, creepy stories and another one for links to creepy stuff around the web.

Let's list the little things that send that chill down (or up) our spines. Include a (preferably short) explanation if you like. I'll start.

1. The sound of dry, dead, October leaves being blown across pavement--the slower the creepier. (I read Something Wicked This Way Comes in October of the year that I was the same age as the protagonists.)

2. The sound of a woman crying, but only if I can't see her. (Too many movies about ghosts.)

3. A child talking to their imaginary friend. (Same as #2.)

4. Finding an object somewhere other than where I (seem to) remember leaving it--especially if there is no one else around who might have moved it.

Your turn.
Advertisements  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Not chills down the spine creepy, but always bugged me nonetheless. The Chuck-E-Cheese Animatronics resetting to the original positions after they finished what they were doing. After the music was done and the lights were off. It only took about 3 or 4 seconds, but even as a kid I thought it was weird. Even then I remember thinking it would be more 'elegant'* if they could make the routine end with them back in the starting position.
This video sort of shows what I'm talking about. It's cued up so it happens right away. As soon as the lights turn off, you can see them reset for the next show. I think it's the 'not alive' look that bothered me.

I couldn't find a
*though I didn't know that word yet.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM

I'm creeped out by people who talk on their cell phones in public bathrooms. Some even talk while relieving themselves, and whomever they're talking to can surely hear toilets flushing. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. If I see the who it is, I make a point of avoiding them as much as possible from then on. After all, if they think bathroom phone conversations are okay, who knows what else they think is okay?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 PM

The word 'titties'. It just sounds creepy.

When my neighbors walk through my yard and look in the windows as they're going by. What if I was naked? Stop being creepy.

Ads on Craigslist where men are looking for female roommates that double as girlfriends- "free rent!" Ugh, creepy.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM

I've said it before but I'll say it again: the men in erectile dysfunction drug-commercials.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM

When you catch a guy staring at your body, then he makes eye contact. And. Raises. His. Eyebrows. Gah!!! That ruins my whole day.

When little kids mention something incredibly violent. "I hope his head falls off and rolls into a mudpuddle." WTF?? Excuse me, I need to find some holy water and a cross.

When a well meaning stranger tells you "You'd better..." do something, like tell your family you love them more often, appreciate your good fortune, or take an umbrella or something. I can't tell from looking whether that guy in the grocery line is clairvoyant, from the future, or the ghost of the deli past, so any "take heed" moment from a total stranger seems portentous and ominous.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Passing a mirror in the dark. I always want to look, even though my brain is screaming "don't look!" because I know it's going to scare the bejesus out of me.

Taking a shower in the early morning, when it's dark outside, and you have a window in your shower stall. I always have this mental image of a twisted alien hand reaching through the black window into the shower and grabbing me.

In case it's not obvious, I'm pretty much afraid of the dark.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 10-14-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Seeing a single child-sized shoe in the middle of a busy street.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Modernist concrete buildings and architecture. Especially when you get up close to them: their aloofness and deliberate eschewing of traditional aesthetics is amplified by the coolness of the concrete.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 AM

Very old dolls, clowns, and any toy with mobile eyes.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
Very old dolls, clowns, and any toy with mobile eyes.
Don't go to this website then... (May be be gory, but generally SFW)

Last edited by Sticks and Scones; 10-14-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM

I have a little voodoo/Santeria doll that I got in New Orleans. It is on a display shelf. My gf and I mess with each other by occasionally changing its position ever so slightly. I think.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM

The slimy stuff in the drain sieve left after washing dishes. I know that A) I just finished eating that same stuff and B) I just finished washing that stuff off the dishes and C) It's been swirled around in soapy water so it's as clean as clean gets and D) I handle actual infectious biological waste for a living without a second thought. Still, gives me the heebie jeebies to have to touch limp lettuce leaves and orphaned corn kernels.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Not chills down the spine creepy, but always bugged me nonetheless. The Chuck-E-Cheese Animatronics resetting to the original positions after they finished what they were doing. After the music was done and the lights were off. It only took about 3 or 4 seconds, but even as a kid I thought it was weird. Even then I remember thinking it would be more 'elegant'* if they could make the routine end with them back in the starting position.
This video sort of shows what I'm talking about. It's cued up so it happens right away. As soon as the lights turn off, you can see them reset for the next show. I think it's the 'not alive' look that bothered me.

I couldn't find a
*though I didn't know that word yet.
The link just gave me a lot of advertising crap.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
king a shower in the early morning, when it's dark outside, and you have a window in your shower stall. I always have this mental image of a twisted alien hand reaching through the black window into the shower and grabbing me.

In case it's not obvious, I'm pretty much afraid of the dark.
Er that wasn't an alien , that was me.....................

Sorry and all that .
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
The slimy stuff in the drain sieve left after washing dishes. I know that A) I just finished eating that same stuff and B) I just finished washing that stuff off the dishes and C) It's been swirled around in soapy water so it's as clean as clean gets and D) I handle actual infectious biological waste for a living without a second thought. Still, gives me the heebie jeebies to have to touch limp lettuce leaves and orphaned corn kernels.
Sounds like you need a disposal unit.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Sounds like you need a disposal unit.
I'm sure my landlord will get right on that.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Casual cognitive dissonance. A childhood friend and award winning photographer posted this message "Thank you, Lord, for this incredible day which you hath made" along with several photos of the blue October sky scattered with a few wispy clouds and crisscrossed with thick, perpendicular, geometrical contrails.

Contrails. I love to fly, and I'm impressed by our aeronautical feats and technology, but what is beautiful, artsy, or heavenly about vapor trails in an otherwise pristine sky?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'm sure my landlord will get right on that.
(chuckle) Point.

OTOH, some landlords actually would do such things, or allow you to if you're willing to pay for it.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

When my dogs growl at night at something I can't hear.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM

It's spring here, which means all the little birdies leaving their nests...

... and discovering the big window in my lounge.

That 'thud' just makes me feel ill, even though most of them fly off unharmed. It's a combination of the fright I get at the sudden noise and the knowledge that most =/= all.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM

The wind causing branches to move just enough to scrape against a window.

The wardrobe door in our bedroom being left just slightly open so I can see the dark line of the opening from the corner of my eye when I'm reading. I swear the gap slowly gets wider.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Seeing a single child-sized shoe in the middle of a busy street.
That used to freak me out a bit, until I realised that squirmy little kids in strollers/prams are likely to kick shoes off at random, and mum won't notice it until much too late to backtrack and find it again. So now I just giggle at the image of a triumphant toddler going "Now I am free of one of these horrendous foot-binding devices, soon I shall have my freedom from this buggy of doom!"
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Parents who call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy" or whatever variation...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSO View Post
Parents who call each other "Mommy" and "Daddy" or whatever variation...
Worse. Pet owners that do the same.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Being alone in a large retail area creeps me out for some reason.
On the weekend I was at the downtown Macy's and took an escalator to one of the floors. Not a soul in sight. No music playing either. Total deadsville. All I could hear was my footsteps and the flouresent lighting buzzing.
I've had the same experience at a jumbo furniture store. Went by myself into one of their backroom clearance warehouses and wandered pretty far in until I realized I was the only one there. Just creepy feeling.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Wet food is the WORST! Ugh!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppus View Post
Casual cognitive dissonance. A childhood friend and award winning photographer posted this message "Thank you, Lord, for this incredible day which you hath made" along with several photos of the blue October sky scattered with a few wispy clouds and crisscrossed with thick, perpendicular, geometrical contrails.
Maybe this will help then--it's not cognitive disonance. God made man and thus was ultimately responsible for the contrails.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy40 View Post
Worse. Pet owners that do the same.
Guilty. When talking to a pet, I refer to DH as "Dad", but would never address him directly that way.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
When my dogs growl at night at something I can't hear.
This. Or when they just stare, but don't growl, off into the distance, like down the hallway. Are they watching something I can't see?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Maybe this will help then--it's not cognitive disonance. God made man and thus was ultimately responsible for the contrails.
Not limited to religion and nothing to do with a god. Lisa is a nature photographer, and somehow disconnected the fact that the ugly, crisscrossing lines of vapor and exhaust penetrating wispy, amorphous clouds were neither natural or befitting praise. She looked up, saw an object to focus on, and proclaimed it not only beautiful, but blessed. I feel the same about landscape photos interrupted by powerlines, litter, etc. How do we become blind to the obvious? Similar to a woman sporting heavy makeup criticizing a friend's garish, fake nails. Or people who make pat, robotic statements or blind claims based on repeating some rhetoric they've heard.

It creeps me out because I wonder what sort of brainwashing or subliminal suggestion prevents people from seeing the obvious. Stepford wife-ish. Those conflicting ideas are like germs; tiny bytes of conspiracy to keep us from reality and truth. How do they get in, and what makes them stick?

Last edited by Troppus; 10-15-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Open closet doors at night. It's dark in the bedroom, and even darker in there....
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Walking out of the darkness towards a lit doorway; coming up from the basement, for instance.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Cirque de Solei (sp?) is creepy... very creepy

Seeing someone eat hard boiled eggs

Seeing someone eat shellfish

Seeing someone kiss a dog's mouth

Last edited by RunSilent; 10-15-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I have a little voodoo/Santeria doll that I got in New Orleans. It is on a display shelf. My gf and I mess with each other by occasionally changing its position ever so slightly. I think.
10/10
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Being alone in a large retail area creeps me out for some reason.
On the weekend I was at the downtown Macy's and took an escalator to one of the floors. Not a soul in sight. No music playing either. Total deadsville. All I could hear was my footsteps and the flouresent lighting buzzing.
I've had the same experience at a jumbo furniture store. Went by myself into one of their backroom clearance warehouses and wandered pretty far in until I realized I was the only one there. Just creepy feeling.
That's when the mannequins hunt.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Public toilet seats that are still warm.
Child's toy laying abandoned in highly-trafficked area. (like the shoe above, my mind ALWAYS retcons an abduction).
A table set for dinner with nobody in the room.
People sampling food with their fingers on way back from buffet to table.
Babies in church that stare silently at you over their parents' shoulders.
Hairs in a book from the library.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM

Ads that stalk me around the internet after I've window-shopped for shoes or clothes. I keep seeing the same pair of shoes or dress for weeks after I've casually browsed around.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
These are ATTACK eyebrows!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantheon View Post
That's when the mannequins hunt.
I find it creepy to be alone in a mall (like if you've gone to see a movie at the malltiplex and it lets out after the stores have closed. The muzak is still playing but the stores are all shuttered and there aren't any people at all...I played way too much "Dead Rising" a few years ago, and I now expect zombies to start coming out of side hallways any minute...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM

That feeling you only get at night, when you KNOW if you look at a window, there will be a face on the other side looking in at you.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priority View Post
That feeling you only get at night, when you KNOW if you look at a window, there will be a face on the other side looking in at you.
*Shudder* I used to get that.

Lately for me it's been claws. Not cute kitty or puppy paws, but alien malicious claws the size of a baby's hand grabbing at my flesh. Not that I see a lot of these, mind you, but sometimes in the dry air I'll get a little itch or tiny stabbing pain in a limb. Aaahhh, it's the claw! And last week when I was bringing my dry cleaning home, and the ends of the hangers were digging into my flesh... claw!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Ooohh, the things that fall down in the cupboards.

I know the kid puts the plastics away by the 'toss and hope' method, but every time somethings falls over in there, I wonder...

what pushed it?

Even worse when it's in the pantry; bigger cupboard, heavier items.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life View Post
Er that wasn't an alien , that was me.....................

Sorry and all that .
And how do I know you're not an alien?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM

When you are camping alone in the middle of nowhere, trying to get or stay asleep in your tent.

And some critter is making quite a sound. But you can't figure out WHAT critter would make a sound like that. Thats when I just cocoon myself in my sleeping bag and hope it goes away. I sure as hell ain't looking outside to see whats making that scary sound.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Scones View Post
Don't go to this website then... (May be be gory, but generally SFW)
Am I smart enough to heed your warning? Nooooooo of course not! shudder

Last edited by saje; 10-15-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priority View Post
I used to get that, the last winter I lived at home with my parents, but really only in the kitchen, where we had a sliding glass door and two floor-to-ceiling windows. I brushed it off all winter, and at the end of the winter I went out there, where I saw dozens of footprints in the snow, leading from the sidewalk. We never went to that side of the house in the winter.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM

That huge eyeball that washed up on the beach. Creeeepy.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
That huge eyeball that washed up on the beach. Creeeepy.
Wouldn't that be a huge thing you find creepy?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilent View Post
Seeing someone eat hard boiled eggs
[Mickey Rourke] No, 'tank you. I gotta 'ting about chickens . . . [/Mickey Rourke]
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 AM

Recording sounds when you sleep. There's an app to record what you say when sleeping. I always think I'll hear something else.