Why are new tyres non-grippy?

So I’m about to pop out and get all four of my tyres changed (to dunlop sportmaxx rts if anyone cares).

And it’s pissing it down. Won’t be surprised if I encounter localised flooding.

This means when I drive back I’m going to have to be driving like a granny, because new tyres have fook all grip for the first couple of hundred miles, and it’s especially bad for the first fifty.

Makes me wonder - why ARE new tyres so slippery? Presumably it’s the same compound on the outside as the rest of it, and it’s not as if they’re super smooth compared to used tyres or anything as far as I can tell…

Mold release compound plus a very thin layer of “overcooked” rubber where it was in contact with the mold.

Tyre manufacturers say they don’t use mould release agents. You might find this thread interesting.

New tyres certainly have a different look and feel from old tyres: blacker, smoother, harder and shinier. I think it’s simply that after a bit of wear, the surface is softened and roughened, making it grippier.

Chem-Trend, supplier of mold release compounds.

Tire Rack.

OK, it appears that it’s motorcycle tyre manufacturers that avoid using mould-release agents.

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=55400.0

Oddly enough, having now had them fitted I have not experienced the lack of grip I was expecting in the OP; these tyres are much better from the outset than the crap that was on. I didn’t push it (was totally right about localised flooding… hell it’s flooding all over the place, loads of roads cloased) but I can tell I am going to be able to FLY with these…