Private Davis: One soldier's Civil War experience

I haven’t posted here in a while, even though I read the SDMB almost every day. I thought this would be a good way to de-lurk.

In this thread, I will be posting a chronology of Private John Davis, a relative of mine, who enlisted in the U.S. Army during the Civil War. After this initial post containing background information, I will post various events in his life, 150 years to the day after they occurred. (Hopefully, the mods will not mind me bumping my own thread.) The thread will follow his travels and experiences in the war. I’ll be posting whatever information I can find until the story comes to an end next summer.

So, here goes:

One hundred and fifty years ago, in the fall of 1862, John Davis, of the town of Melrose, Massachusetts, was 25 years of age, and single. He was the second of nine children of Edmund and Mary Davis. In his youth he had worked as a teamster, but he later found work as a shoemaker, like his father. The war, though distant, was having its impact on John’s family. His younger brother Edmund, 23, had enlisted in the Army the previous year. In June of 1862 Edmund had been promoted to Corporal, and soon thereafter was captured in battle in the Peninsula campaign in Virginia. On August 5 he had been exchanged, but his family in Melrose may not yet have been aware of any of this. Edmund had not been a healthy man even before going off to war, so his condition was no doubt a source of worry for the family. John’s brother Charles, 20, was serving a three-year enlistment as a private in the 8th Maine Regiment. His brother Loami, who may have been only 15 that summer (the 1855 census lists him as 8 years old), had joined the 33rd Massachusetts Regiment and left the state on August 14.

**The nine months’ men. **

On August 4, 1862, President Lincoln called for 300,000 additional troops to serve in suppressing the Rebellion. The quota was apportioned by state, with 19,080 to come from Massachusetts. Of those, 79 were to be drawn from the town of Melrose. At a town meeting, Melrose citizens voted to pay a bounty of $150 to each Melrose man who enlisted for nine months’ service. With the help of a series of rallies complete with speeches and musical entertainment, the quota was met. John Davis and his brother James, 17, were among the enlistees. This made the Davis family the only one in town to send five of its sons to war.

As these events were unfolding in Melrose, the Army was gathering a new regiment in Readville, twenty miles to the south. Colonel Isaac Burrell organized the Forty-Second Regiment using a few companies of soldiers from an older regiment, and adding to them the quotas from several towns, including Melrose. By September, John and his brother James were both encamped under canvas tents as privates in Company G. The men of the Forty-Second passed their time with the usual camp duties and were blessed with fine weather and opportunities to take leave in nearby Boston. Rations provided to the troops were described as adequate, but this did not stop them from occasionally foraging for chickens and other delicacies from nearby farmhouses. Day in and day out, the soldiers of the Forty-Second Regiment drilled, paraded, and whiled away their time as best they could. As October 1862 drew to a close, they awaited orders to move.

Hopefully you can keep this going, as I am interested.

This sounds fascinating… I’ll keep coming back for more reading. Thanks malden.

Malden, I am subscribing. Just a suggestion for we non US people- could you please indicate which Army? It is probably obvious to Americans but to me I don’t know which side (and it is interesting to me).

Cicero-- It’s the U.S. Army, i.e., the North, not the Confederate Army, which was the southern/rebel side.

Glad to see there’s some interest. More posts will be coming soon. The regiment is sort of in a waiting mode at the moment.

Wednesday, November 5, 1862

Relocation.

The regiment has struck camp and moved into a nearby barracks, which at first looked like an improvement over the tents they have been sleeping in. However, the new barracks were found to be filthy, and the men had to clean the barracks to the satisfaction of Dr. Cummings, the camp surgeon. The barracks were recently vacated by another regiment that was sent to North Carolina. Rumors are circulating that the Forty-Second will soon be sent there as well, but no orders have come.

Camp music.

One of the more popular regular visitors to the Readville encampment was Giovanni Marianiand his band. Mariani had been the drum major of “Gilmore’s Band,” and famous in Boston before the war. In 1862 Patrick Gilmore had finished his tour of duty in the Army and was appointed by the Governor to reorganize the state’s military bands. Gilmore was notable for, among other things, writing the famous Civil War song “When Johnny Comes Marching Home.”

Political infighting, and a vote.

The Forty-Second Regiment was assembled from a few companies from an older regiment and then supplemented by new recruits from the town quotas. At times, companies were rotated out of the unit to make room for other companies or to build one unit or another to fighting strength. This periodic shuffling of officers and enlisted men led to some infighting in the Forty-Second. For all of the nine months’ units from Massachusetts, the positions of Colonel, Lieutenant Colonel, and Major were chosen by the vote of the line officers. Lieutenant-Colonel Perkins and Major Beach, officers of an old regiment that formed the nucleus of the Forty-Second, found their positions of power diluted by the addition of new recruits. It is possible that Lt. Col. Perkins saw his opportunity to unseat Colonel Burrell beginning to fade. The unit’s sergeant-major described Perkins and Beach as jealous and unhelpful in completing formation of the regiment.

Just like today’s election, this election of officers had its swing voters positioned between the two opposing sides. Officers from three of the town quota companies had a meeting prior to the vote and decided which way they would direct their vote, thus deciding the outcome.

On the afternoon of November 6, 1862, the vote was held at headquarters with all officers present. For Colonel, Isaac Burrell defeated Perkins 28-2. For Lieutenant Colonel, Captain Joseph Stedman won out over Perkins, Beach, and other candidates. For Major, Captain F.G. Stiles defeated Beach and one other candidate. Thus, the two complaining officers from the old regiment were shut out of the top leadership of the Forty-Second.

I’m keeping up Malden. Thanks.

(Voting for a senior military position seems a bit weird).

I subscribed earlier today but figured I should let you know I’m reading too. Keep it coming!!

Post more please.

Been snowing for a while this afternoon, and the winds are picking up. Might be in for a miserable night.

whoops

This is a really cool idea.

I have to ask (and I am utterly fascinated by all things Civil War): how in the world are you getting such accurate and seemingly almost daily information on the goings-on of your distant relatives during this time? Does your family have a large cache of letters and diaries that you are drawing upon to tell your story? If so, it’s remarkable that so much of your family history has been preserved in such a way. My Grandma had a letter in a trunk in her bedroom from her grandfather that served in the Union that we discovered after her death. But that was just one letter!

Anyway…count me as a highly interested reader.

FoieGras-- my main source is a regimental history written by the regiment’s sergeant-major in the 1880s. I also have a book produced by the town of Melrose right after the war that documents the town’s war activities and lists where each Melrose resident served and what battles they participated in.

Friday evening, November 7, 1862.

A nor’easter is bearing down on New England. Ten inches of snow. It’s freezing in the barracks tonight since the troops don’t have any stoves.

P.S., Wednesday, November 7, 2012.

:eek:There’s a nor’easter in Boston tonight, too. Stay warm, New England Dopers! :eek:

Malden, I’ll be travelling so computer time will be limited. No reply doesn’t mean I am not catching up when I have the chance.

Well, Cicero (and whoever else is following), one of the things that will become apparent in this thread is that even in wartime, a lot of soldiers spent a good deal of time doing things other than combat, i.e, traveling, waiting and drilling. The Forty-Second is still awaiting orders while encamped in the snow in Readville. Next update will be in a few days.

Terrific idea! I’m looking forward to reading the installments in “real time”.

Orders have been drafted for Colonel Burrell and the Forty-Second Regiment to report to General John Gray Foster, commander of the “Department of North Carolina,” which was the term used for the parts of the rebel state of North Carolina that had been retaken by Union forces. At the same time, the Fifty-First Regiment, encamped nearby, was assigned to General Nathaniel Banks of the Department of the Gulf.

The two colonels met sometime in mid-November to discuss their orders, and requested a meeting with Massachusetts adjutant General William Schouler. General Schouler was in charge of administering recruitment and organization of regiments called from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts-- a position frought with political peril and opportunity.

Came here to read the latest episodes.