The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Significant? Sure. It's not much of an achievement when you avert a war you would have been responsible for starting, though. By that standard, every POTUS since about 1960 was great because none of them caused a nuclear holocaust.
Advertisements  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya View Post
Martin Luther King was a plagerist, adulterer, womanizer(physically as well), liar, NOT a reverend, communist sympathizer and a whole host of over things.

Should we take his birthday celebration away, or do we still praise him cause his message was good?

In a proper America, he'd be shunned for his false nature. Civil rights doesn't need black 'leaders.'
And we could get our President's birthdays back.

The money should never change, it give us a sense of continuity that is sorely lacking in the States.

To answer your question, who should be next, John Adams or Ron Paul.
of course he is not a reverend, no one is,"reverend" is not a noun. He was THE REVEREND Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I don't see any way in which it can be denied that Martin Luther King was a Reverend. He received a Bachelor of Divinity degree from Crozer Theological Seminary in 1951. (He also had a BA in sociology from Morehouse College and a Doctorate in Philosophy from Boston University.)

The standards for who is entitled to call themselves a Reverend are somewhat loose, but there is no standard that would say King did not qualify.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't see any way in which it can be denied that Martin Luther King was a Reverend. He received a Bachelor of Divinity degree from Crozer Theological Seminary in 1951. (He also had a BA in sociology from Morehouse College and a Doctorate in Philosophy from Boston University.)

And he was the pastor at the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery (in case people are convinced that he wasn't a reverend because he never "practiced" or something).

So yeah, education + professional preacher = reverend.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM

I'm most intrigued by Saraya's concept of physical womanizing as opposed to...some other kind of womanizing.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
The U.S. currency is far too human-centric. I would like a famous horse, or perhaps an auspicious-looking beaver, on a commonly circulated denomination.
You and my mom. I was talking about this last week. I said we could have significant cultural figures, maybe John Muir, Samuel Clemens. My mom said, no, Presidents, personifications like Liberty, wildlife.

I want Samuel Clemens and George Carlin on the money; I'd put Ambrose Bierce on the money, but you have to be confirmed dead.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 11-01-2012 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Just kidding. If cynics were on the money, cynicism would be the establishment, and who wants that?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuyguy View Post
But Grover Cleveland? Really? What the hell made him worthy to be on our $1,000 bill?
Democratic President, elected twice, back when the GOP owned the White House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Maybe they should put Michael Jackson on the $20. King of Pop, after all.
Well, if we're going that way, then let's make it a rule just to put kings (well, royals) on the money:

Michael Jackson, King of Pop
Elvis Presley, King of Rock'n'Roll
Jack "King" Kirby
Duke Ellington

um...

Martin Luther King
Gerald R. Ford (né Leslie King)
Stout Rex, er, Rex Stout
Steve McQueen

er....
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Little Nemo and Rollo Tomasi, I am not denying his qualifications, but he is not "a reverend". Reverend is not a noun it's an adjuctive, He is THE reverend MLK Jr.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
Little Nemo and Rollo Tomasi, I am not denying his qualifications, but he is not "a reverend". Reverend is not a noun it's an adjuctive, He is THE reverend MLK Jr.
It's become a noun, frequently used interchangeably with "pastor" or "minister." Object if you want, but that's where the language has taken the word. Do a Google search for "I am a reverend," and you'll even find clergymen referring to themselves as "a reverend," not "the reverend."

But quite frankly, I think that's all beside the point, since I have a sneaking suspicion that Saraya's objection to the use of "reverend" for Dr. King wasn't of a grammatical nature.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

From a pragmatic view, I'd hate to put the 20's spot up for consideration. The liberal wing of the decision committee would split among a handful of choices. The conservative fringe may go the Paul or a similarly batshit route, but the largest block would go with St. Ronnie. Ugh.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
But it would have been grammatically awkward for me to write "I don't see any way in which it can be denied that Martin Luther King was the Reverend." And Merriam Webster lists "reverend" as both an adjective and a noun.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
I'd be OK with shooting him first.
was waiting for that.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Nominations for the twenty:

Helen Keller
Cesar Chavez
Rosa Parks
Nicola Tesla
Harriet Tubman
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Nominations for the twenty:

Helen Keller
Raised print?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 PM

I have to think that when most of the money was being designed, that the 'value' of said denominations meant alot more -

for example - when Lincoln was put on the penny - 1909 - Pennys had actual value - nickels moreso and a quarter - that was alot of money.

Penny - Lincoln
Nickel - Jefferson
Dime - liberty until Roosevelt
Quarter - Washington
50cent piece - wasn't Franklin here for along time?
Silver dollars were also Liberty (standing, seated, etc)
Dollar bills were Washington as well -
5$ bills - Lincoln

They were great honors for those particular people - everyone would always have them - 20/50/100 dollar bills? almost no one would ever see these - atleast not nearly as often.

Coinage also used to have a much higher respect value.

I do think its time to rethink who is on our more 'common' bills and possibly do some changing around.

Last edited by simster; 11-01-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Albert Einstein on the $20.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
IThe standards for who is entitled to call themselves a Reverend are somewhat loose, but there is no standard that would say King did not qualify.
Not really. It just means a member of the clergy.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I don't have anything against him. I just don't think he was a great president.
Since when is "greatness" a prerequisite? Which presidents were great? Was Jackson great? Was Grant a great president? Salmon P. Chase wasn't even president, what was great about him?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I can think of two non-consecutive reasons.
The punchline being that you don't see either one very often?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM

I think it's kind of taken as read that greatness is a prerequisite. Chase got to be on the $10,000 because he was responsible for creating the US paper currency system as Secretary of the Treasury. He was also a pretty awesome guy. He laid the intellectual foundation for most of Lincoln's positions on abolition, was the first Chief Justice to admit a black lawyer to the SCOTUS bar, among other things.

Grant and Jackson were great generals, if not great presidents. Kennedy was a decorated veteran, of course, but it's not as though he was in charge of a war.

I would certainly be okay with taking McKinley off. No idea what that guy did to merit his place.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 11-02-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I would certainly be okay with taking McKinley off. No idea what that guy did to merit his place.
He got shot. As did Kennedy and Lincoln. The only assassinated president who was not honored with money was Garfield, but in his six months, he did not do much to merit more than a cat and several counties.

Last edited by For You; 11-02-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM

I LOLed. Thank you for that.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For You View Post
He got shot. As did Kennedy and Lincoln. The only assassinated president who was not honored with money was Garfield, but in his six months, he did not do much to merit more than a cat and several counties.
Poor Garfield did suffer more than all the other shot presidents put together, though.

Quote:
Most historians and medical experts now believe that Garfield probably would have survived his wound had the doctors attending him been more capable Unfortunately for Garfield, most American doctors of the day did not believe in anti-sepsis measures or the need for cleanliness to prevent infection.[47] Several inserted their unsterilized fingers into the wound to probe for the bullet, and one doctor punctured Garfield's liver in doing so. Also, self-appointed chief physician D. Willard Bliss and the other doctors had guessed wrong about the path of the bullet in Garfield's body. They had erroneously probed rightward into Garfield's back instead of leftward, missing the location of the bullet but creating a new channel which filled with pus. The autopsy not only discovered this error but revealed pneumonia in both lungs and a body that was filled with pus due to uncontrolled septicemia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassi...es_A._Garfield

He should be on MD diplomas, as a cautionary example.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Not really. It just means a member of the clergy.
As a minister in the Universal Life Church, I have documentation acknowledging my Reverend status.

Visiting my gf's ill father in the hospital last week, I posted my CLERGY sign on my dashboard and parked accordingly. My gf was amused, but just barely. I drove her to where her car was parked.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM

I vote for Hillary Clinton on the $20. It'll encourage us not to spend.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM

I think we should have that topless chick riding a shark. (We'll use Megan Fox) and on the back, that guy with the flag and the shotgun.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
Keep him on the $20, but change the pic into one of him doing something charactaristic, like killing someone.
Or a picture of him sneaking out a window from his inauguration party.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think we should have that topless chick riding a shark. (We'll use Megan Fox) and on the back, that guy with the flag and the shotgun.
I'm totally cool with this.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think we should have Neve Campbell and Denise Richards in the pool scene from Wild Things. Because then as a bonus, our currency would have a Bacon number of 1.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Non sum ergo non cogito

Queen Elizabeth. She looks OK on ours and our money is prettier than yours anyway.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I say put Teddy Roosevelt on the 20. First president of the 20th century, put him on the 20 dollar bill.
William McKinley made it over eight months into the 20th century. TR was the first president who took office in the 20th century.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Every year, put the winner of the previous year's Super Bowl logo on the $20. Also change the color scheme to match. Then a lot of damned fools will keep the things as souvenirs, like people do with the state dollars and other coins, and it will help the Treasury. You could also do MLB editions, although that might be a bit awkward if Toronto ever wins again.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I think that if Canada ever introduces a $5 coin, they should put an albatross on it. That way, they'd have a goonie to go with the loonie and toonie.

And back to the OP, I think that T. Roosevelt is the logical choice to replace Jackson on the $20. I don't think that anyone nowadays has a strong ideological objection to him, and he continues the precedent of putting a badass on that bill.

Speaking of which, by the way: Cracked is correct that Jackson is more terrifying than Roosevelt, but that's not inconsistent with Roosevelt being the more badass. Jackson was terrifying because he was a flippin' psychopath.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
Well, heck, if you're going to put beavers on the money, you might as well include loons, polar bears, and caribou. Happily, there's a country right next door which has been testing that.
Naw the animal thing has played out. We need a new direction...

A mug of Beer on the $1 bill.
Sex on $5
Drugs on the dime.
Rock-n-Roll on the $20.
Hookers on $10.
Blow on the $50.
Gambling (Vegas Skyline) on the $100.
Oh, and Pie on the Quarter.
Goats on the nickels.....and no pennies!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
Every year, put the winner of the previous year's Super Bowl logo on the $20. Also change the color scheme to match. Then a lot of damned fools will keep the things as souvenirs, like people do with the state dollars and other coins, and it will help the Treasury. You could also do MLB editions, although that might be a bit awkward if Toronto ever wins again.
I LOVE it!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Put a new face on all bills commemorating the individuals who paid the most income tax each year. Proving this would require his/her tax return to be made public. We could make the bills transparent.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM

How about a new denomination, Liberace on a $3 dollar bill
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
As to who should be on it instead? The truly American thing to do would be to privatize it, auction it off to the highest bidder.
Yes! Just like sports stadiums!

Introducing: "The Pepsi One Hundred Dollar Bill".
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

On a more serious note (ha!): if we were to change the $20 bill I suggest the novel approach of having two people depicted on it--one idol each for the Dems and the GOP.

Reagan and Clinton.

(We'd have to either wait until Billy dies or change the rules allowing a living person to appear on currency).
Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 PM

OK, this probably deserves its own thread but Jackson was the most badass president. That doesn't mean he was the best president, simply the most badass. Teddy was cool and he liked killing things but he just never racked up the personal human body count that Jackson did.

I think all of our currency should just be Jackson committing some horrible act of violence against different people. On the 1 he could be taking a hatchet to an Amerindian. On the 5 he could be garroting an Englishman. On the 20 he could be whipping a black slave. On the 50 he could be beating an assassin with his cane. On the 100 he could be shooting a reporter.

As for the OP's original complaint I think a tad bit of historical relativism is called for. Washington owned slaves and had an Iroquois name which roughly translated as "Town Destroyer." Also worth noting, Andrew Jackson adopted two Amerindian orphans and raised them as his own.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

We've honored several U.S presidents. I think it's time to honor the emperor.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
OK, this probably deserves its own thread but Jackson was the most badass president. That doesn't mean he was the best president, simply the most badass. Teddy was cool and he liked killing things but he just never racked up the personal human body count that Jackson did.
Cracked.com's list of the 5 most Badass presidents of all time

Sorry, SecretaryofEvil, but Teddy Roosevelt comes in at #1.
Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson comes in last, at #5.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
We've honored several U.S presidents. I think it's time to honor the emperor.
I would be OK with Emperor Norton being on all the money.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM

My vote for the $20: http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...5a/2437823.jpg

Because nothing says "money" (in the Swingers sense) more than riding dolphins in white furry chaps with a boombox.

Last edited by senpai71; 11-09-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Why are we worrying about who is on the currency?

Its not like its going to be worth anything for very much longer.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiescore View Post
Why are we worrying about who is on the currency?

Its not like its going to be worth anything for very much longer.
I'd be happy to save you a trip to the recycling center by taking your worthless currency off your hands.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 AM

Replacing the old guys with supermodels would be a great improvement.
Put Cindy Crawford on the $20, Kate Upton on the $10, etc.