The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Oh, the irony of mixed messages

I'm driving along yesterday and a car pulls out of a driveway and cuts me off so I have to hit the brakes to avoid collision. Then I notice she's (the driver) also cut off a pedestrian about to cross the driveway, an old man using a walker. He is kinda stumbling backward with a stunned look in his face. And the car has these bumper stickers -- Coexist (with all that woo symbolism), Share the Road, and Watch for Motorcycles.
Advertisements  
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM

I dislike bumper stickers as a general rule, but I've always thought that if one is going to put bumperstickers on their car, they probably ought to drive in such a way so as not to paint a negative image of those ideas. I've tried to find a correlation between various political or religious or philosophical stickers and driving habits; as it turns out, people just drive like assholes.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM

Were you driving a motorcycle at the time? No? Then I rest my case.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster Master View Post
I dislike bumper stickers as a general rule, but I've always thought that if one is going to put bumperstickers on their car, they probably ought to drive in such a way so as not to paint a negative image of those ideas.
This is why I don't put any bumper stickers on my car. If someone is annoyed at my driving, I'd rather they just think I'm an idiot or an asshole, rather than thinking less of some cause that is important to me. I'm not confident enough in my driving to take that risk, so no bumper stickers for me.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps the car was stolen, and the thief had not yet had time to put a Disclaimer bumper sticker onto it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I dislike bumper stickers as a general rule, but I've always thought that if one is going to put bumperstickers on their car, they probably ought to drive in such a way so as not to paint a negative image of those ideas.
I have a bumper sticker that I'll put on the car when I get round to it:
I use cruise control.
So it must be you.
I can't tell you how often people have come racing up behind me, I move over, and then they sit in my 8 o'clock position and don't pass. Or they hurry to pass me, then pull in in front of me at a slower speed than I've been driving for miles. It's time I let them know how I feel.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM
IMHOtep the Justifed

No snark intended, but a little chrome fishy always reads to me - and proves out to be - a LOOK OUT SELFISH ASSHOLE DRIVER emblem.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM

There was a period a long while back when there was a popular bumper sticker that just said Shit Happens. I always wondered how people who put that on their cars felt when someone accidentally ran into them.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Maybe she meant "Coexist in the same time and space" and was trying to do that with you.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

There's a car in my neighbourhood that has a "Back Off, Tailgaters!" type bumper sticker on it. This car drives way under the speed limit, from what I've seen. You know what - sometimes it IS you! Take a hint!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I can't tell you how often people have come racing up behind me, I move over, and then they sit in my 8 o'clock position and don't pass. Or they hurry to pass me, then pull in in front of me at a slower speed than I've been driving for miles. It's time I let them know how I feel.
Just in case I haven't mentioned it often enough here, I drive a hundred miles to work (and then a hundred more home) every work day. This is one of the most annoying things that happens almost every day. I have my cruise control set. Please do not pass me and then go slower than me.

There are a half dozen or so passing lane spots on this highway, where it opens up to two lanes for a mile or so, and the second most annoying thing is people who speed up when they get to the passing lane, and then slow back down again afterwards.

Drivers are idiots. Not me of course. Just everyone else.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Just in case I haven't mentioned it often enough here, I drive a hundred miles to work (and then a hundred more home) every work day.
I drive 110 miles to work, and 110 miles home -- but only twice a week.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I drive uphill, both ways, in 4 feet of snow.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:38 AM

To the OP: if the "she" in question was over the age of 65, she gets a pass from me.

Dude with the walker gets a wakeup call to pay attention to the world around him, and also a little ego stroke that he's still got some mojo in the reflex department.

OP proves to the SDMB that he's an incredibly alert defensive driver, worthy of praise and admiration, gaining a deserved sense of roadway superiority which may or may not translate into a confidence boost in other areas of his life. Perhaps Boyo Jim will be a wild stallion between the sheets tonight, bowl a perfect game, or have small woodland creatures follow at his heels as a tangential result of this vehicular incident.

If the "she" is under 65, then she's just an idiot.

The only bumper sticker I'd consider putting on my vehicle is

HONK IF YOU'RE HORNY

a true classic.

Last edited by Dr_Doom; 12-14-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
A lot of folks I work with rent an apartment and do the weekend commute.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Doom View Post
I drive uphill, both ways, in 4 feet of snow.
4 feet of snow? You lucky bastard. For me, it's 6 feet of volcanic ash, plus occasional extra distance driving around the many lava flows in Central Wisconsin.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
<SNIP>
Exactly.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eh, I just put on bumper stickers endorsing the groups I want to discredit, and then drive like an asshole.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
4 feet of snow? You lucky bastard. For me, it's 6 feet of volcanic ash, plus occasional extra distance driving around the many lava flows in Central Wisconsin.
Yeah, but when I were a lad we didn't have a car to drive in. Our dad just had a steering wheel to hold, and us kids had to run through the volcanic ash behind him.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
I'm driving along yesterday and a car pulls out of a driveway and cuts me off so I have to hit the brakes to avoid collision. Then I notice she's (the driver) also cut off a pedestrian about to cross the driveway, an old man using a walker. He is kinda stumbling backward with a stunned look in his face. And the car has these bumper stickers -- Coexist (with all that woo symbolism), Share the Road, and Watch for Motorcycles.
Boyo Jim, Keep her over there! I think I saw her driving on I-94 in western Wisconsin. No lava ash over here .. just manure piles.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? ---George Carlin
Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? ---George Carlin
Thanks for saving me the effort of looking up that Carlin line.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
No snark intended, but a little chrome fishy always reads to me - and proves out to be - a LOOK OUT SELFISH ASSHOLE DRIVER emblem.
Yeah, Puddy was a selfish asshole!
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 AM

Reminds me of an old joke: a guy has a Honk If You Love Jesus bumper sticker so the car behind him honks the horn, to which the first guy leans his head out the window and yells "The light's still red, dammit!"
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just in case I haven't mentioned it often enough here, I drive a hundred miles to work (and then a hundred more home) every work day. This is one of the most annoying things that happens almost every day. I have my cruise control set. Please do not pass me and then go slower than me.

There are a half dozen or so passing lane spots on this highway, where it opens up to two lanes for a mile or so, and the second most annoying thing is people who speed up when they get to the passing lane, and then slow back down again afterwards.

Quote:
Between 12/2 and 12/14, I drove 6,029 miles. From OH to NJ to OH to FL to OH to ME to OH to IL to OH. My truck is governed at 60 miles an hour when using cruise control to I am constantly passed. And people are constantly zipping past me, pulling into my lane and slowing down to 58. (My truck has a radar/braking system in it. I actually get a readout of the distance they are in front of me and their speed. Why do people think that 40 feet is far enough ahead of a semi when getting in front of them?)
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
Between 12/2 and 12/14, I drove 6,029 miles. From OH to NJ to OH to FL to OH to ME to OH to IL to OH.
I see your problem here - you keep returning to Ohio! Have you considered omitting that part?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Not necessarily a bad idea, but since I both live here and pick up my loads here, not really practical.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM

1) Technically, if she had waxed the old man, he would not have ceased to exist;
2) As was mentioned previously, he had a walker, not a motorcycle; and
3) The third sticker did not say to share the road successfully or equally.

I don't see the issue.