Eyeglass frames: plastic, metal, or rimless?

What do you prefer to wear, plastic, metal, combo, or rimless?

no option for metal or plastic semi-rimless ?

and since folks that wear glasses will be in this thread - where to find those “tiny round” or other steam punkish glasses that keep showing up on shows - Artie’s glasses from Warehouse 13 for example.

I’ve always had all-metal frames.

The plastic ones are not my style and just feel flimsy to me. Plus everyone I know who’s ever had plastic frames has at one point or another snapped them in half (like my GF did just last week).

Thin anodized semi-octagonal metal frames - one smoked grey color, one smoked copper color. I have 2 I got off eBay that are ±10 years out of style, but I liked them enough I had new lenses put in. They look like this.

I didn’t vote because I’ll choose whichever frames I think look most awesome upon my charming visage. This time, they happened to be plastic. Last time, they were metal. Time before that they were semi-rimless.

The one thing I don’t like about the plastic frames is that they will NOT stay on my face when I exercise. The minute my face starts to “glow,” they slide right off. So I wear an old pair of metal frames to run/bike/whatever in.

I decided to get rimless once. I LOVED the look of them.

I paid for the polycarbonate “unbreakable” lenses.

Damned things broke–TWICE. The lenses were repaired free of charge.

I don’t mess with rimless now. But I still love the way they look!!!
~VOW

I have to go semi-rimless, 'cause even with poly I have coke-bottle lenses, plus tri-focals now. I always end up with plastic frames, for some reason.
Nice thing about rimless is that my dog decided my glasses were chewtoys and the fishing line holding them together got eaten, but that’s easily fixed and they do it for free, so there’s that.

Edit…hrm, I’m currently wearing these, which I guess are metal+plastic+semi-rimless, lol.

Semi-rimless, or metal frames. The only time I had plastic frames were my military-issue glasses, or for prescription sunglasses.

My lenses are too thick and heavy for rimless, and while I’ve never (knock on wood) broken a lens I’ve busted a few frames over the years so it’s metal for me. Right now I own two titanium frames I’ve had for 10+ years, one for my main pair and one for back up. Light, strong, and worth every penny. And they look good, too.

My husband learned that you don’t wear metal rims on the Gulf. The hinges turned green and then were “eaten” apart by the salt air.
I’ve got a pair of thin-rimmed plastic fake tortoise shell frames that I’ve worn for years. It costs more to keep your old frames when you’ve got a new prescription, but it’s been worth it. They’re nondescript and sturdy. Works for me.

I just bought three new pair of glasses from Zenni Optical. ($75 for all three, thanks Dopers recommending them!) Two pair of metal semi-rimless and one pair of plastic sunglasses. I love all three and they were so damn cheap! My old pair of glasses were metal all around. I’ve preferred metal either full-rimmed or semi-rimless since the early 90’s, as my bridge is short and my cheeks are high, so if I don’t wear something with nose pads, the bottoms of the rims sit on my cheeks. With sunglasses that I don’t wear all the time, no bother, but with regular ones that I wear at all times, not good.

I voted for metal, although I don’t really care what the frames are made out of as long as they’re thin. (Do they make thin plastic frames?) I really don’t care for heavy, thick frames, like in hipster glasses. But for the last several years, whenever I’ve gone to get new glasses, it seems like there are two kinds of wire frames and fifty kinds of the ugly ones.

Most of the time it’s metal, but I’ve got a pair of plastic safety glasses to wear in the shop.

I generally get plastic, although I’d prefer metal if they looked OK on me. Unfortunately, they don’t. Plastic frames are thicker, which flatters my face. Metal frames are thin and make me look fatter somehow. I snapped a pair of plastic frames in half once, because I fell asleep while wearing them. I just take care not to fall asleep in my glasses anymore, and I’m good.

I have a really bizarre OCD hangup in that I absolutely will not wear glasses that have those little nose pads. Therefore, I’m pretty much stuck wearing cool hipster-style black-rimmed glasses where the pads are part of the main frame, like these. Which bugs me a bit, since I’m not very cool.