The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Top Chef Season 10

Just caught the series premier last night, the start of the new season caught me by surprise.

Too early to tell, all the chefs haven't even been in the same room together yet. It seemed like the qualifying heats were pretty lopsided: Cook soup, cook an omelet, make a salad- or work a paying dinner service in Colicchio's kitchen.
Advertisements  
Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard about a new season either.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll return after watching the episode.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM

I agree that I'd rather be in any of the groups but Tom Colicchio's. And he seemed a harder judge too, eliminating more people. But I love Top Chef, and I'm glad it's back on.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

I don't like this preliminary rounds they've been doing. For pete's sake people, vet the chefs before you put them on the show. Season 6 is the gold standard they keep failing to replicate.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM

I don't mind this kind of show as the first episode of the season... gives us a bit of an idea of who all the players are, and does a filter to get rid of any clearly unfit contestants (although these days it seems like everyone is basically competent), without us having to pretend that we actually know or care anything about whoever gets first eliminated. If it was just "here are 12 people, now they compete, now one wins and one loses" we would have no idea who either the winner or loser was.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM

It looks like TC: Seattle may have some kind of ski slope hijinks, too. Bleah.

I thought Wolfgang Puck was incredibly forgiving!

~VOW
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM

I wonder if some of the eliminated chefs were sent packing because of their obnoxious personalities as much as for their performance.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Padma is as lovely as always.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I wonder if some of the eliminated chefs were sent packing because of their obnoxious personalities as much as for their performance.
I thought that about the woman who was gone from the salad challenge, but I didn't get that from anyone else.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
I don't like this preliminary rounds they've been doing. For pete's sake people, vet the chefs before you put them on the show. Season 6 is the gold standard they keep failing to replicate.
I loved this episode. I was prepared for the typical first Top Chef of the season show; instead they showed them being judged on actual cooking skills. Very happy!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM

I liked this one as well - broken into small groups and interacting with the boss chefs made for more personalities showing so you actually cared who stayed and left. Greatly preferred compared to last year!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM

There's sure to be some drama as long as John Tesar is on the show. He's a phenomenal cook (the term 'chef' deliberately not used). His food is amazing. But he didn't get called 'the most hated chef in Dallas' for nothing.

Details here: http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Maga...in_Dallas.aspx
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah, John Tesar is my favorite so far.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I thought the omelets looked pretty bad, for the most part. Browned and ugly. The soups looked good, but soup is really all about the flavor. Salads? Meh. I liked Tom's challenge the best, because it seemed to show whether the chefs could really work in a real kitchen.

StG
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I thought the omelets looked pretty bad, for the most part. Browned and ugly.
No kidding. I was taught that the first rule of a correctly-made omelet was "no browning." From what I could tell, all but 2 of the omelets were browned on the outside. Blech.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

The omelette was, I think, the most difficult; witness how badly all the chefs made theirs (except maybe for the "torta"). But Wolfgang Puck was the most forgiving since all but one made it through. Plus, in the end, he showed them how to make a proper omelette.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM

I made an omelet this morning that I think turned out pretty good. Roasted jalapenos, sauteed onions, and cubed and fried Spam (just for Hugh). Cooked the filling stuff then started off clean with just butter. Damn tasty and not brown.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 AM

First QF and regular episode tonight. Lots and lots of fish and shellfish plates. I guess that's to be expected in Seattle. I'm not into fish at all. So its hard to appreciate whats being cooked.

Geez that loud mouthed lady chef was running around like a crazed woman. She's going to create warfare in the kitchen. There's no escaping that voice and they have to subtitle her because the accent is so thick. There's no way she has any legit line experience. You can't be that loud and frantic in a professional kitchen. Then she slices open a finger reaching into her knife bag?

I liked the twist of bringing back CJ, Josie, and Stefan. They really aren't that good and I can't see them having much of an advantage. Stefan comes from the weakest season ever and he still lost. CJ is a fun character and he can cook pretty good. But I don't see him going very far in this group.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-15-2012 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The omelette was, I think, the most difficult; witness how badly all the chefs made theirs (except maybe for the "torta"). But Wolfgang Puck was the most forgiving since all but one made it through. Plus, in the end, he showed them how to make a proper omelette.
His omelet was brown too though. That surprised me. My omelets are never brown!

I have been following Tom on twitter a little bit and I like him even more.

Padma is quite lovely.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

I liked the twist of bringing back CJ, Josie, and Stefan. They really aren't that good and I can't see them having much of an advantage. Stefan comes from the weakest season ever and he still lost. CJ is a fun character and he can cook pretty good. But I don't see him going very far in this group.
There's a show Life After Top Chef that's running in the slot before Top Chef. Last week some of the past chefs dropped in on Stefan's restaurant. I think they just had drinks, but the guy has a place.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 AM

The loudmouth will probably get *whoopsie* pushed off the balcony.

For all of Stefan's bragging, the fact the destroyed the quail is a HOOT.

I'm looking to see more good things from the lady who won the challenge!

~VOW
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM

"But the quail was really small!" I couldn't believe he was arguing that. The quails were quail-sized!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM

I think Stefan realized how STOOOPID he sounded when he said, "The quail were so small!" and from then on took full responsibility.

I can't believe the kid who cooked the fish for 14 minutes!

~VOW
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Like a bad war movie, you know the kid is dead meat when he starts talking about the girl - er, boy - back home he's going to marry.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 AM

I know John Tesar is supposed to be some sort of huge prick, but he came off as the nicest guy in the second episode. I really liked him. And I am thrilled to bits to see Stefan. He's so hot.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 AM

He looks like a thumb.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 PM

A sexy, grouchy, self-important thumb, yes. My TV crush palate is very sophisticated.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottledBlondJeanie View Post
There's sure to be some drama as long as John Tesar is on the show. He's a phenomenal cook (the term 'chef' deliberately not used). His food is amazing. But he didn't get called 'the most hated chef in Dallas' for nothing.

Details here: http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Maga...in_Dallas.aspx
After reading that article and seeing that crazy Carla lady it makes me wonder if this season they are going for some serious "Housewives" type of drama with the casting.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 PM

John Tesar really should have been on Top Chef Masters. He's way too experienced for regular Top Chef. He's a contemporary of Anthony Bordain and Tom Colicchio. I guess the same thing can be said about Stefan. He's been in the kitchen for over 20 years too.

Sounds like booze fuels John Tesar's bad behavior. Maybe he'll be ok on TC if he's not drinking?

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-21-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Seriously, I was looking for this asshole chef in the last episode, and by looks I decided it must be him, but he was so NICE that I decided it couldn't be. So I was confused. Some guy with a Germanlike accent was being a jerk, I thought that must be the guy.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Sounds like booze fuels John Tesar's bad behavior. Maybe he'll be ok on TC if he's not drinking?
I would swear in the last episode when he got immunity for the elimination challenge he said something along the lines of 'I guess I can have an extra glass of wine tonight and not worry'.

The article in the link says he doesn't drink liquor anymore but mentions him having sake. It sounds like he feels able to maintain better if he stays with the fermented stuff rather than distilled.
I suppose we will see.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Déjà vu Josie was always screwing up in her season. Still just as bad now. Emeril looked mortified at what she did to that turkey and that guy ruined the soup.

Tom's team hit a home run. I would love to try that meal.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-21-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 PM

I had pretty much the same thoughts about Josie. A lot of talk but trouble following through.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Didn't Josie work as a Top Chef production assistant after she lost her original season? How mortifying to send out a turkey that was that raw in the middle. I know she had a thermometer - didn't she check it?

StG
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Didn't Josie work as a Top Chef production assistant after she lost her original season? How mortifying to send out a turkey that was that raw in the middle. I know she had a thermometer - didn't she check it?

StG
I was under the impression she was afraid it was going to burn when she discovered it was on the upper shelf in the oven. I remember seeing her with the thermometer, but didn't she also pull out the turkey?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

StG
You might be thinking of Lee Ann Wong.

~VOW
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
I was under the impression she was afraid it was going to burn when she discovered it was on the upper shelf in the oven. I remember seeing her with the thermometer, but didn't she also pull out the turkey?
It browned too much being on top. Instead of low and slow she cooked it high adn fast, I think.

VOW - I think you're right. Whoops.

StG
Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM

Well, it looks like the John Tesar drama is starting....
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM

I don't often do back to back posts but I have to say this episode was revealing about the character of certain chefs in ways I didn't expect. I'll hold off with anything that may be a spoiler until others have had a chance to view the episode and respond.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM

You talking about the onion soup? I suspected a certain chef left it sitting in the pass for awhile. Let it get cold before serving. Nasty bit of sabotage.

SPOILER:
I'm so glad to see Carla gone. Sent home for an overcooked squab. I was really worried she'd wreck the entire season by getting everyone fighting. I can't recall ever seeing such an annoying chef. She'd be right at home on the Real Housewives.

I can't understand what the deal is with salads on Top Chef. I can't recall the judges ever praising a salad in any of the seasons. They sent a woman home tonight for too much dressing? Geez I don't won't those a-holes eating at my house. Heck, you throw some lettuce in a bowl, cucumber, tomato, and maybe onion; if you like onion. If that's not good enough then piss off and don't eat it. I can't see making a huge honking deal over a salad.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 PM

Meh. The temp on that soup didn't seem to be the main problem with it.

SPOILER:
Actually I was commenting on how CJ and Yukon Cornelius (Josh) were all over Tesar from the start of the episode. I get that he has a reputation for being difficult but so far he is keeping his shit together and making good food. I was highly amused both CJ and Josh were in the bottom four. And no matter how much blame Tesar may have concerning the temp of the soup, Josh is the one who over salted it. I think that was the greater sin. And it seems to me Josh is the bigger asshole. At least he's getting the asshole edit so far.

Last edited by Kolak of Twilo; 11-28-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 PM

I'm glad Last Chef Kitchen is back. There's always at least one or two really good chefs that get tripped up in an EC. It doesn't mean that they suck as a chef. The winner in the first episode of Last Chance Kitchen is a good example of that. Although its unlikely that chef will survive all the rounds.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 AM

I'll second what you said about Last Chance Kitchen. Very glad they brought it back, largely for many of the same reasons.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Well it's been I'm not boxing the spoilers since it's been a day since this aired.

I'm sooo glad Carla went home, as she was super annoying and drove the other chefs bananas. Chrissy also went home, and she was very bland and unmemorable, so I didn't mind.

John was so braggy about how many restaurants he's opened, but it seems that he's opened so many because lots of them closed after a short while. And he was pitifully inadequate at running the pass.

During Last Chance Kitchen, I thought it was almost predetermined that Kuniko would win, as she was obviously the most talented chef there.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM

Kuniko seems really talented. Her English skills put her at a disadvantage on Top Chef. I've wondered if she fully understood everything. The chefs talk fast in the kitchen.

It would be tough getting through all the rounds of last chance kitchen. Last season I recall a chef got through 4 or 5? Then got beat in the next to last round. But, theres always a chance Kuniko could go all the way. She's a protégé of Chef David Myers of the Michelin starred Sona. She must have some serious talent.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Someone asked if a cheftestant had one for a salad and a few seasons ago, one did. The season with Jeff, the one who looked like Chase from House. The older-than-the-rest-of-them woman (but not old by any means) did a beefsteak tomato salad with some greens for a tv challenge. Kathy Lee, I believe. The rest of the chefs were pissed she won with "just" a salad and I remember Tom basically saying "Yeah, but it can still be done poorly and it was a huge risk and it says a lot about YOUR food if a salad can beat it."

While Chef Mustache might have had a good point about not bagging on Kuniko, that it was still too soon and everyone was taking it poorly, Tesar wasn't exactly wrong. He just was being socially inept. He should have been able to read the room and maybe privately said to just one close friend, "Can you believe after not plating her QF she didn't even check her taters?" But Chef Mustache just went for his jugular. It was way out of line. "Dude, too soon and not cool, all right?" would have been sufficient.

So glad Carla is gone. While she too had a point that Stefan was being a pig by always calling her honey, it was very hard to take her seriously when she was running around like an overcooked squab with its head cut off. (And it would have been easier to take Stefan seriously in his complaints about her a few weeks ago if he didn't come across as a lecherous misogynist every time he's on the screen).

I thought it was a great challenge, though.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM

I was ready to reach through the TV screen and strangle Carla myself!

There's always at least one douche per season.

Stefan is unreasonable, but he's an extremely talented chef.

~VOW
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM

From AV Club comments: "Of the 6 chefs who cooked an omelette for Wolfgang Puck, 4 have already been eliminated and Tyler is holding on by a fingernail. Wolfgang was way too generous on his omelette chefs, the only one he should have passed is Kumiko."

Glad to see those chickens coming home to roost.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I kind of like a browned in spots omelette, and Carla is alright by me, but her quail in LCK came home to roost again...

yay to our hometown girl Kristen!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM

Pike Place Pickle 12/5/12

No clue yet who is eliminated but this is a brutal episode.