The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Jelly, pickles, and popcorn. And Tom is wondering why they got crap food?
Advertisements  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Better yet, rose petal jelly. Blech.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM

That salmon candy had to be GAAAKKKK!!!

~VOW
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post

~VOW
Yep. Watching it for the second time right now and I have to call shenanigans on this episode.
  • Cardamom bitters
  • Rose water jelly
  • Salmon candy
  • Truffle popcorn (undoubtedly tasty on its own but how are you going to use it in a dish?)

Curried chocolate is borderline stupid too. What can you do with that BUT make a dessert?

The cheese curds and spicy dill pickles were the only ingredients that seem like they had reasonable uses in a dish. I guess that explains why CJ and Tyler got the boot because they didn't do anything clever with the pickle.

I would pay good money to see Hugh or Tom find a palatable use for the bitters, jelly or salmon candy (wtf?) in a similar setting. I don't see them doing much better.

This was the first totally bullshit episode I've seen of this show in a while.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM

And not paying the $10K prize was more BS.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 AM

Odd episode. I'm sure it's not original, but read Chef Bart's name and tried to imagine how it is actually pronounced having realized his Belgian accent is like half German, half French. He shall forever now be known as Art Vandelay courtesy of Seinfeld.

Also, I love him.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swords to Plowshares View Post
From AV Club comments: "Of the 6 chefs who cooked an omelette for Wolfgang Puck, 4 have already been eliminated and Tyler is holding on by a fingernail. Wolfgang was way too generous on his omelette chefs, the only one he should have passed is Kumiko."

Glad to see those chickens coming home to roost.
Hah! That was my comment .

After this elimination, Only Eliza (who?) remains from the Wolfgang Puck omelet group. Confirming that they're the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM

I'm a little shocked that Kuniko was defeated in Last Chance Kitchen, but her dessert looked kind of boring.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post

~VOW
I actually like salmon candy. Have some in the fridge right now. It's not really any more sweet than a maple-cured bacon. Smoky and a little sweet. Yum!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM

I thought Tom was a little over the top with the "A burger with a pickle? How original" comments. I think if it had been a GOOD burger, you know, with beef? on a bun?, he might not have been so harsh. It might have been an obvious choice, but if had ended up the best burger any of the judges ever had, then maybe there would have been a prize given out. I think making a BAD burger should definitely get you sent home, but a burger itself shouldn't have been some mortal sin.

I think the challenge was done poorly. Too little time. It was good tv, but obviously sucky food.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Tesar dodged a bullet. Glad that he remains to add some interesting drama,

Hilariously tall CJ hugging Kuniko made both the episode and LCK worth every minute.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
I actually like salmon candy. Have some in the fridge right now. It's not really any more sweet than a maple-cured bacon. Smoky and a little sweet. Yum!
I'm not such a philistine that I don't see how salmon candy might have some appeal. I do have difficulty seeing how it could be easily incorporated into a dish you have little time to plan and virtually no time to tweak.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
I'm not such a philistine that I don't see how salmon candy might have some appeal. I do have difficulty seeing how it could be easily incorporated into a dish you have little time to plan and virtually no time to tweak.
Very good point. I only ever eat it with crackers or a bagel.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Hated this episode. They presented a challenge that the chefs had almost zero chance of achieving in the limited time. Big surprise: the food sucked. The judges are angry. What the heck did they expect?

This is one of those times that they should make the judges try the challenge. See how impossible it is. Hugh was on TC Masters. He knows how ridiculous some of these challenges can be. Ask him sometime about the challenge of cooking in a RV racing down the freeway. TC at its worst.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-08-2012 at 08:36 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 10:27 AM

Last Chance K was strange. CJ and Tyler competed as a team? How long will they be linked at the hip?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Who knows. Hopefully it will be a free for all on LCK next week.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM

I've seen some crappy challenges before, but this one felt more like something you'd see on Chopped than Top Chef. When the cheese curds and pickles were mentioned, I assumed that they were one person's idea of tough cooking ingredients, and another person got downright sadistic with all the other items.

It's shallow, but every time I see Chef Hugh I want to pin him down and tweeze out that unibrow. I think that's the only time I've seen what appears to be an intentional, groomed unibrow.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM

I absolutely love that the food was terrible and the judges were mortified. What a stupid challenge.

I've had that curry chocolate and it's fantastic. It sat around for almost 6 months before I ate it though because it sounds so gross.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

The one thing I liked about this ep is that the food was uniformly bad and they didn't hesitate to say so. Sometimes when I 'm watching shows like "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives", I think they could serve Guy Fieri dog poop and he'd rave how great it tastes. And I think Gordon Ramsey takes fair to okay food and trashes it for effect. I think Top Chef is more honest.

Recipe for Rose Petal Jelly I've also had it in Turkish food.

StG
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Curried chocolate is borderline stupid too. What can you do with that BUT make a dessert?
My own thought would have been to make a mole sauce. They'd have lots of freedom to come up with something to serve it over - maybe run with the idea of a Mexican/Indian fusion.

Someone else brought up the comparison to Chopped. I thought the chefs in this episode could have benefitted from some of the creativity the Chopped contestants often exhibit.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Good episode this week. Lots of really well cooked dishes. It seemed like Anna Faris and her hubby Chris Pratt were quite happy with their big family homecoming party.

I was a little surprised at how many wild game dishes were criticized. Searing meat is usually cooking 101. Seemed like most of the chefs in the bottom this time had meat issues. But overall, a huge improvement over last week's culinary disaster.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-13-2012 at 12:27 AM..
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 AM

The dude with the glasses on his forehead bugs the SHIT outta me!

Ben Franklin invented bifocals, a LONG time ago!

~VOW
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM

I can't recall ever actually seeing him use the glasses, that's the weirdest part. But I sure wish I could taste that chowder he made.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Berries. What a simple and beautiful ingredient to work with. Why did so many of them mess it up? The majority seemed to think they should do a meat dish with some berries on the side, few seemed to do a berry dish.

But I wasn't surprised at who lost. She's been struggling for a while.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM

I kept waiting for a cobbler. You have these fresh from the fields berries. Eat a few handfuls raw until you're full. Then, use the rest in a cobbler. It's the 2nd best way to use them.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-20-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Stefan has GOT to be one of the most profane, vulgar individuals EVER on Top Chef. With the careful editing, his performances actually crack me up. Having it appear as though Padma walked in as Stefan was waggling his weenie at John was hilarious!

John's soup looked revolting. But the "lunchmeat on stale bread" must have been truly horrible.

~VOW
Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Stefan definitely gets the major douche editing, but he seems to make friends on the show. I actually find myself liking him, and am glad to see him back.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo Verde View Post
But I wasn't surprised at who lost. She's been struggling for a while.
I'd never even noticed her before! As soon as they began the episode with her talking to the camera, I knew she must be a goner....
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Nah, Stefan isn't a douche. He IS a sanctimonious son of a bitch, though, the kind you love to hate!

On his first season, he was infatuated with Jamie. She told him repeatedly that she was gay, but he still gave her silly little gifts and talked about her all the time.

This season, he seems to be attracted to Kristen. Wonder where that will go?

~VOW
Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 PM

When Josh was ripping apart Josie for her annoying laugh, I yelled at the tv "That's what I think about you and your stupid mustache."
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

They showed a repeat of last week in the regular time slot last night, but then they showed this week's episode (Jalapeno Business) right after it. I'll spoiler this in case you missed it or if your DVR gave you the repeat of last week.

SPOILER:
Bart (Belgian guy) got sent home for bad tempura. Apparently the fryer was tiny and just putting the skewers in dropped the temperature enough so it didn't cook properly. It sounded like a real disaster. This was one of the "short straw" eliminations as they had no choice in what to cook, it was dependent on the name of the Roller Derby player they were assigned. Bart and Josie's was "Tempura Tantrum" so they didn't have anything to work with.

Josie thinks she's on Big Brother instead of Top Chef and is being as obnoxious as possible. She got drunk at a Roller Derby match and yelled even more than usual, then accused one of the other chefs as being gay and in the closet. I hoped she would go but I guess Bart's Tempura was an unpardonable sin.

All in all, a good episode.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Bart and Josie made the Forbidden Rice with beet puree, and Bart got eliminated for not seasoning the food.

The two tempura guys ALMOST got axed, for the reasons you mentioned (that team was the Asian guy and the red moustache), but they managed to scrape through with only a thorough ass chewing.

Bart is such a polite, easygoing, even tempered fella, and I guess he was just too nice.

(actually, Bart has been chided many times for underseasoning, and that beet crap must have been awful)

~VOW
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM

I finally got caught up with the show. I'd have preferred Josey to go. Her cackle is finally starting to get to me. Lizzie is moving up as one of my favorites and I so wish I could have tasted all those oysters.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Josie and Josh are both awful and need to gol. Josie because she's loud, has no awareness, and shills her "brand" as "Chef Josie" too much. Josh because he's a whiny adult-sized toddler.

For top 3 I'd love to see Kristen, Brooke, and Lizzie, although John and Stefan are both highly entertaining and I'd like to see them stay a while.

CJ is certainly good enough to keep going on LCK, but I don't want to see a ringer win the season.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM

I like your top 3 picks. Kristen's paycheck keeps getting bigger!

And John...sour pickles bro?

As if he would automatically win if he stole all the pickles? He knew his burger needed flavor and moisture so he put a damn fried egg on it? Mr. magoo with a cute smile but yeah...it was time
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM

At least John was a finalist or winner a number of times. What has that little turd Josh ever done? He can't vanish quick enough.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

LCK is a fix, just saying.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM

I can see why John felt that he got hosed. Risotto is one of those things that just never pleases the judges. There's been so many chefs tripped up on Top Chef and Ramsey's Hells Kitchen over this silly rice dish. It's not considered that hard of a dish in the real world but I know Ramsey always insists it must be cooked, to order and in small batches. Top Chef set up a situation where John had to cook a big batch and it didn't cook evenly. I guess proving Ramsey is right about small batches.

I'm a bit disappointed. John was one of the more talented in the cast. It's a shame that a rice dish and a burger sent him home.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-03-2013 at 05:01 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM

I'm still trying to pick out the potential final 4. Right now, the chefs seems similar in skills. Kristen and Micah may have a shot. Stefan is always a threat. No one really jumps out yet.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Brooke's been doing well, but she seems to lack confidence and that could hold her back in the end. I'd like a top 3 with Brooke, Kristen, and Sheldon, but I like Lizzie, too.

John was really an ass during that showdown. I'm glad he lost. I'm not a fan of Josh either--he can go next.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

I'd been sort of rooting for John, I thought he was areal troll in this ep. His comment about the pickles showed he didn't really understand what his challenge was. They didn't say "redo CJ's challenge", it was "maker a healthier version of this dish". They weren't required to use the pickles. If they felt they could use different proteins, why didn't they understand they didn't need to use the pickles?

StG
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM

John hasn't really bugged me overall, but he was more on the annoying side than not last night. If it weren't for the 10th Kindle, I don't think he would have gone home. The last batch of risotto I made didn't come out great, but it was still edible. I don't know anyone who would eat off scallops though. Meh risotto isn't going to get you ill.

I did like the challenge and the last chance challenge. It's just too bad it wasn't Josie, Micah, or Josh.

And Josh. John was right as he left: he is a dick. He was on the top so why the need to volunteer to the judges "There were plenty of pans." Just mind your own business, dude. If you don't think the judges are remembering all the times you're being an asshole, you'll be packing your knives and going even quicker.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Josh is playing the game, of the ladies I see Brooke (can't sharpen her knife) as most likely to resort to tactics to steal a win.

Not such a fan as to text my favorites,but I see a lck showdown in the works for tall guy and kuniko.

speaking of that bastard Josh...project runway anyone???that hack Josh is still in the game? he should have gone weeks ago, last night his masacara ran and he dresses like a 9 year old.

Last edited by chela; 01-04-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
It's not considered that hard of a dish in the real world but I know Ramsey always insists it must be cooked, to order and in small batches.
It's not that hard on its face, but requires a LOT of attention while cooking and can easily be over or under cooked - both of which are bad news.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
John hasn't really bugged me overall, but he was more on the annoying side than not last night. If it weren't for the 10th Kindle, I don't think he would have gone home. The last batch of risotto I made didn't come out great, but it was still edible. I don't know anyone who would eat off scallops though. Meh risotto isn't going to get you ill.
I didn't get the impression that Lizzie's scallops were "off" per se - just old, not as fresh as they could be. Less-than-fresh scallops may smell a bit weird, and don't sear so well, but won't make anyone ill.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I also didn't get the impression that the scallops were "off" or so old they were inedible. But scallops are one of those things that when they're not processed right, they're miserable.Tthe vast majority of scallops you find have been treated with a phosphate solution, which makes them whiter and also sucks up the water, so they're impossible to sear. They also tend to be tasteless; they are lower-quality and scallops have a very delicate flavor. If they're not processed correctly, they're just hunks of flavorless protein. I know a LOT of people who claim they hate scallops, and I think it's because they've never actually gotten a good one.

From watching Lizzie try to sear them, I'm guessing that's what she got. So they're not going to kill anyone, but they're impossible to make taste good. Her failure was at the grocery store; she should have looked closer. Perhaps they don't do the phosphate thing where she's from so she wasn't aware.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM

I'm intrigued by Micah's sriracha gelee, but of course that's the one thing not reproduced on the Bravo website in the recipe recreation. Guess I'll have to play with some veg gelatin and see if I can get the right balance.

John couldn't have been more of a troll if he tried in the cook-off, but it sounds like he should have spent more time thinking about his dish. That egg could have gone into the burger to help it out. Meanwhile, Lizzie at least learned from her previous experience by sniffing the ground chicken right away.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 01-05-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Stefan is a douche, but he got hosed his season, so I'm kind of pulling for him. Anyone remember Hosea?? YMMV
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM

i remember Hosea. He's cute (straight guy here. BTW, is Kristen's "girlfriend" still around? (they're friends and have matching tattooes)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Josh is playing the game, of the ladies I see Brooke (can't sharpen her knife) as most likely to resort to tactics to steal a win.

Not such a fan as to text my favorites,but I see a lck showdown in the works for tall guy and kuniko.

speaking of that bastard Josh...project runway anyone???that hack Josh is still in the game? he should have gone weeks ago, last night his masacara ran and he dresses like a 9 year old.
CJ will be back because it is what the producers want.

Josh dresses like my late mom. She wore than exact same print in a muu-muu she created in 1978. His drama queen antics can get right off my tv ASAP.