Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
SDSAB

Our campaign yard signs make NY magz.

A friend sent us this link; we didn't know anyone from New York magazine had taken the picture. Those are our neighbors' houses in the background:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/11...-election.html
Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
A friend sent us this link; we didn't know anyone from New York magazine had taken the picture. Those are our neighbors' houses in the background:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/11...-election.html
Congratulations, but the question is....

Are you "Sick and Tired of Deciding the Fate of the Universe"?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM

Mow your lawn!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM

I think there should be a grass-roots operation in Ohio to get everybody to vote for the Independent candidate in 2016. It will either be awesome or break the chain, or both.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I have relatives who live in New Hampshire and they matter-of-factly talk about their personal encounters with pretty much every person who's run for President in the last twenty years. They seem almost surprised when we point out that most people in the country haven't had a chance to have a few words with Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and George Bush - like they feel meeting the candidate is just a routine part of the election process.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I have relatives who live in New Hampshire and they matter-of-factly talk about their personal encounters with pretty much every person who's run for President in the last twenty years. They seem almost surprised when we point out that most people in the country haven't had a chance to have a few words with Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and George Bush - like they feel meeting the candidate is just a routine part of the election process.
The only political person I've met in my life is my city councilman, and that's only because he lived at the end of the block. That's as a resident of California, Minnesota and then California again.

A lady I know was chased around a couch once by Arnold Schwarzennegger, but that was back in his pre-Conan days, so I don't think it counts.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM

I met Democratic candidate for president Alan Cranston, in 1979. He promptly got annihilated in New Hampshire and dropped out. Later, he was one of the Keating Five.

So, I've not only shaken hands with a presidential candidate, but a crooked one! Coo!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM

What kind of charmed 2012 are you having? 5+ seconds of face time in the biggest movie of the year, now this?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Sort of amusing that, for all the stories about the importance or unimportance or self-inflated importance of Ohio, it was Colorado that put Obama over the top this cycle. Ohio added more votes to the final count but losing the state wouldn't have mattered at all.

Last edited by Jophiel; 11-11-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM

I'm impressed that you matter 1,000 times more than other Americans. No wonder they used your lawn signs for the picture.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Have you taken down the signs yet?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Congratulations, but the question is....

Are you "Sick and Tired of Deciding the Fate of the Universe"?
Nah, we're good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
What kind of charmed 2012 are you having? 5+ seconds of face time in the biggest movie of the year, now this?
I know! Freaky. Now 2013 is sure to suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Have you taken down the signs yet?
Yes, just within a day or two of Election Day.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Yes, just within a day or two of Election Day.
Had to bask in the glow of ruling the universe just a little while longer, eh?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Well, he is someone who matters 1000 times more than the rest of us...
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Well, he is someone who matters 1000 times more than the rest of us...
You said it. Not me.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM

I can't believe it. An Obama sign. Out here in California, our support for the blue team was taken for granted. Very few signs and none at all on those street corners where all the other signs appeared. We only had a small handful of those presidential campaign ads on TV. I feel unappreciated now.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Sort of amusing that, for all the stories about the importance or unimportance or self-inflated importance of Ohio, it was Colorado that put Obama over the top this cycle. Ohio added more votes to the final count but losing the state wouldn't have mattered at all.
In fact Obama could have lost Florida, Ohio and Virginia and would have still won.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Sort of amusing that, for all the stories about the importance or unimportance or self-inflated importance of Ohio, it was Colorado that put Obama over the top this cycle.
When you say Colorado put him over the top, you mean that's the state that gave him 270+ electoral votes when called, right? That doesn't make Ohio less important, it's just sort of trivia based on what time the polls close in different states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
In fact Obama could have lost Florida, Ohio and Virginia and would have still won.
If you take the states in a vacuum, yes. But that's not really how it works. If Obama had lost those states because of something like weaker support from Latino voters or greater Republican turnout, those trends would have affected other states and Romney almost certainly would have won.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
When you say Colorado put him over the top, you mean that's the state that gave him 270+ electoral votes when called, right? That doesn't make Ohio less important, it's just sort of trivia based on what time the polls close in different states.
If you start adding states one at a time to a candidates tally by margin of victory then Colorado becomes the state that puts Obama over 270. Just another way of looking at it.

Quote:
If you take the states in a vacuum, yes. But that's not really how it works. If Obama had lost those states because of something like weaker support from Latino voters or greater Republican turnout, those trends would have affected other states and Romney almost certainly would have won.
Of course, that wasn't really the point.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I can't believe it. An Obama sign. Out here in California, our support for the blue team was taken for granted. Very few signs and none at all on those street corners where all the other signs appeared....
Most signs here (like ours) were placed by individuals, not the campaign. You could (and probably still can) go to barackobama.com, visit the store and buy as many signs as you like.