The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Atakapa Atakapa is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 116
Are porn stars physically damaged by their work?

It's not uncommon to see rather petite females be paired with a male who looks painfully huge for her size. Between the massively endowed actors, huge sex toys, frequent productions, and popularity of rather rough sex; how does the physical health of hardcore pornstars fare? Specifically, issues such as anal fissures, inflammation, torn/loose/blown-out genitals, incontinence, scarring, etc.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 29,448
Nautica Thorn from Hawaii says that once she stopped doing straight lesbian -- a contradiction in terms? -- scenes and ventured into M-F action, she "kept on getting torn and yeast infections."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 PM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
There was a star who entered the business and took on too much too soon, and has had to have surgeries since then, I can't think of her name at the time but I read the interview, pretty gross.

Yes it does happen.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 AM
qualityleashdog qualityleashdog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I've seen quite a few male bottoms with cauliflower ass, so yeah, it's having some effect on them, for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
t-bonham@scc.net t-bonham@scc.net is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Several porn stars became infected with AIDS from their film work, back when producers insisted that using condoms would spoil the 'reality' of the films. That's certainly physically damaging.

But regarding the possibility of vaginas being damaged by extra-large penises, that seems unlikely -- even in porn, I've yet to see a penis that approaches the size of a baby's head. And babies heads & bodies come out of vaginas every day, all over the world.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
But regarding the possibility of vaginas being damaged by extra-large penises, that seems unlikely -- even in porn, I've yet to see a penis that approaches the size of a baby's head. And babies heads & bodies come out of vaginas every day, all over the world.
...and every day they get stitched up after childbirth because of damage, which only backs up the OP's point.

Last edited by rogerbox; 11-23-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
In defending their industry, many accuse the ‘‘anti-porn brigade’’ of focusing only on particularly violent examples of pornography. A recent study published in the journal Violence Against Women, however, has analysed the best-selling porn videos to see just how widespread and routine the degradation of women in pornography has become.

The research found that physical aggression was present in 88 per cent of scenes. Of these, there was an average of 12 aggressive acts per scene. In addition, name-calling occurred in about half of all scenes.
Advertisement

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the perpetrators of violent acts were most commonly men, while the targets of their violence were nearly always women. In almost every case, women were shown reacting to aggressive acts with pleasure or neutrality, enforcing the idea that women enjoy being dominated or degraded during sex.

Sexual acts that women would typically find painful or degrading were common in the videos analysed. Boston sociology professor Gail Dines has previously reflected on this particular sequence and noted that it often comes with a ‘‘joke’’ about the woman being made to ‘‘eat shit’’. Professor Dines further points out that the brutality of the industry has become such that most porn actresses have a ‘‘shelf life’’ of three months because their bodies are so physically damaged by the job.


Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/why...#ixzz2D6sgow14
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
HPV or genital bruising are generally not listed as job hazards. Women who do porn talk about anal prolapse and surgery [for repair]. The injuries in porn leave long-lasting emotional impacts. The level of abuse and violence to women in porn stands out. There is the psychological trauma of having one’s body treated in this way. It is a very intimate form of abuse. Articles from the porn industry press reveal how difficult and demanding the job is and that women can’t last that long in the industry because of injury.

*****

I asked folks in the porn industry for their responses to Gail Dines’ claim that porn physically traumatizes women. Beth Brigham disagrees. (Brigham was formerly Dines’ research assistant and currently performs in porn.) She reports:

There’s no emotional trauma from a sex act that you’re prepared for. If you know in advance what you’re going to be doing, you are ready. If I have a day where I’m doing seven penetrations, I know what to do to insure that my body remains healthy. Sex acts don’t happen by accident in porn and you know how to deal with them in advance.

April Flores, a BBW adult actress, adds:

“There is no doubt porn is a very physical job. However, it is also a very individualized profession. Each performer is responsible for their own physical health. A performer always has the choice of not doing something they are not comfortable with. All of my peers are doing work they feel proud of and that enhances and expands on their own sexuality. Gail Dines thinks all performers are victims and this couldn’t be further from the truth.

I also need to point out that many people outside the industry are having rough sex by choice. I’ve heard quite a few stories of people [in the general population] going a little too hard and hurting themselves.
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2010...dines-part-ii/

I guess make of that what you will. Porn actresses still in the business say it is safe and fine, and those not in it tend to bash it hardcore and say it's dangerous
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 15,178
The other day I saw a video with two petite women and a man. One of the women, who looked to be about 19-20, bent over for some doggy style action.

OH MY GOD.

Her anus looked like a huge gaping hole through which a large cucumber could pass unmolested. You could throw a baseball through it and barely hit the sides. It was a serious moment and I turned it off immediately.

"Ok, she's done a little TOO much anal..."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 PM
SeaDragonTattoo SeaDragonTattoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
But regarding the possibility of vaginas being damaged by extra-large penises, that seems unlikely -- even in porn, I've yet to see a penis that approaches the size of a baby's head. And babies heads & bodies come out of vaginas every day, all over the world.
Vaginal tearing is common in childbirth and can range from mild to first-degree up to fourth-degree. Here's a slideshow from Mayo Clinic (illustrated, not RL pics, but NSFW for most):
SPOILER:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaginal-tears/PR00143

For those not wanting to click on that (I'm not squeamish and it made me cringe), tearing can go from not needing any extra care aside from time to heal, to needing surgery and ongoing issues with bladder slippage, fecal incontinence and painful sex.

Anecdotally, I dated a couple for a brief time in my 20's, he a 6'4" pro football player, and she a tiny Phillipina who I asked about issues because she was so tiny. Yes, she did have tearing, which would have been "mild" I guess, according to Mayo, since she didn't need medical attention for it. However, she was also in a relationship with a partner who gave a shit about her and they were able to take it easy for as long as it took for her to heal and adjust.

Despite what current actresses claim (opposing what "retired" ones claim) I can't imagine porn actresses who are on the clock and expected on set are given any consideration as far as their pain or discomfort during a shoot and are expected to finish. I imagine they have a much harder time recovering if they do at all. Everyone is built differently, and I'm sure there are those who don't have problems, too. Lucky for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
moriah moriah is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
The other day I saw a video with two petite women and a man. One of the women, who looked to be about 19-20, bent over for some doggy style action.

OH MY GOD.

Her anus looked like a huge gaping hole through which a large cucumber could pass unmolested. You could throw a baseball through it and barely hit the sides. It was a serious moment and I turned it off immediately.

"Ok, she's done a little TOO much anal..."
Should we all look it up and goa tsee it too?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
DAs to the current porn stars disagreeing with the former ones; that's par for the course. Whatever the course, it seems. Not just porn. You never hear about any of the bad aspects of a thing by someone actively enjoying some kind of reward from their involvement with said thing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 AM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Boston sociology professor Gail Dines has previously reflected on this particular sequence and noted that it often comes with a ‘‘joke’’ about the woman being made to ‘‘eat shit’’. Professor Dines further points out that the brutality of the industry has become such that most porn actresses have a ‘‘shelf life’’ of three months because their bodies are so physically damaged by the job.


Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/why...#ixzz2D6sgow14
You know, it only hurts you anti pornography peoples' case when your only examples are ridiculous extreme porn that I have never even encountered, and I've been watching porn since I was 11 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 AM
ruadh ruadh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
The research found that physical aggression was present in 88 per cent of scenes.
I'd like to see the actual study - it seems to be behind a pay wall. From the abstract I've found I'm not sure how the videos were selected, how a "scene" is defined or what criteria were used to determine "physical aggression".

Quote:
Boston sociology professor Gail Dines
Urgh. Anyone tempted to take her seriously should read this.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 AM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
You know, it only hurts you anti pornography peoples' case when your only examples are ridiculous extreme porn that I have never even encountered, and I've been watching porn since I was 11 years old.
It's not my stance. I don't have a stance on porn. I was just quoting an article. I don't really have an opinion either way. I think it is all biased, either for or against because both sides have something to gain.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
matt_mcl matt_mcl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadh View Post
Urgh. Anyone tempted to take her seriously should read this.
That was an excellent link that led to a range of interesting articles. Thanks for that. I'm studying sexology right now, and sadly am often treated to such lack of rigour.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM
qualityleashdog qualityleashdog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
Several porn stars became infected with AIDS from their film work, back when producers insisted that using condoms would spoil the 'reality' of the films. That's certainly physically damaging.
I've seen a comeback for bareback recently, especially with your Eastern European gay porn and some domestic. It's all about being able to deliver something different. I suppose it would be possible to ensure a closed group of barebackers aren't transmitting disease, if you are able to ensure they're not infected when they begin and don't screw outside the group. Possible if you keep a group in the Ukraine on a short lease and dictate what they do everyday and how they live. But it's more likely the producers don't give a damn about the actors' health, and que sera, sera.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM
DrFidelius DrFidelius is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_mcl View Post
That was an excellent link that led to a range of interesting articles. Thanks for that. I'm studying sexology right now, and sadly am often treated to such lack of rigour.
They have pills for that now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM
sco3tt sco3tt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriah View Post
Should we all look it up and goa tsee it too?
That was quite a stretch, but congrats on seeing an opening to work that one in.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 PM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
It's not my stance. I don't have a stance on porn. I was just quoting an article. I don't really have an opinion either way. I think it is all biased, either for or against because both sides have something to gain.
If it's actually the case that you don't have a stance in the future please put arguments that aren't your owns in quotations, or better yet in the quote tag, so people can know it isn't what you yourself are saying, in your first post on this thread I thought you wrote that.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
If it's actually the case that you don't have a stance in the future please put arguments that aren't your owns in quotations, or better yet in the quote tag, so people can know it isn't what you yourself are saying, in your first post on this thread I thought you wrote that.
I thought the link at the bottom to the exact article those words were from would clue you in as to if those were my words or not.

But feel free to jump on me next time you assume and then fail to apologize when it is pointed out you were mistaken.

Totally my fault, I see that now.

Last edited by April R; 11-24-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
I thought the link at the bottom to the exact article those words were from would clue you in as to if those were my words or not.

But feel free to jump on me next time you assume and then fail to apologize when it is pointed out you were mistaken.

Totally my fault, I see that now.

A bunch of text you could've very well wrote followed by "read more" and then a link does not automatically mean you didn't write it, especially considering I didn't read your link.

And it's utterly confusing why you would post two links if you don't have an opinion either way (which I don't believe). If you don't like porn that's fine, I don't really care, but don't play a shell game of what you believe by quoting something you don't agree with (without proper attribution) and then saying you don't care either way.

Last edited by rogerbox; 11-24-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 PM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I was just providing information to answer the poster question. I posted one which supported the claim porn workers suffer physical damage and one which refuted it.

Also, I don't care what you believe. Why is it impossible to believe someone wouldn't care either way about porn? It's there, people do it, people watch it. Some are damaged by it, some are not. None of my business, I don't care about mainstream porn. I do have opinions abut child porn though. Care to assume what that may be, you would probably be right this time.

I properly attributed it by posting THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. It's not my fault you jumped to the wrong conclusions about authorship without further investigation a simple clicking and reviewing of the link would have provided. That's your fault

Last edited by April R; 11-24-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Siam Sam Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 29,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco3tt View Post
That was quite a stretch, but congrats on seeing an opening to work that one in.
I see what you did there.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 26,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
If it's actually the case that you don't have a stance in the future please put arguments that aren't your owns in quotations, or better yet in the quote tag, so people can know it isn't what you yourself are saying, in your first post on this thread I thought you wrote that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
A bunch of text you could've very well wrote followed by "read more" and then a link does not automatically mean you didn't write it, especially considering I didn't read your link.
[Moderating]

rogerbox, it was perfectly clear in April R's posts that she was quoting from other sources. They were within quote tags, and had the link below. If you don't bother to look at the links themselves, that's your own fault. If you want to take issue with the information itself, go ahead. There's no call to accuse her of deception.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
[Moderating]
They were within quote tags
Take a look at that first one again real close.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
April R April R is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
Take a look at that first one again real close.
I conceded that. However, I did post the link to the exact article. Plus it was obvious that i copy and pasted that first post if one actually read it in it's entirety, since I missed the "Advertisement" part in the middle, which I failed to remove before the edit time limit was up. Anyone with the slightest skill in observation would have seen that blatant mistake on my part and realized it was copy and pasted from somewhere else, despite my failure to put it in quotation marks. Now the moderator has spoken and it's over.

Last edited by April R; 11-24-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 26,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post
Take a look at that first one again real close.
It still doesn't justify your accusations of deception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Now the moderator has spoken and it's over.
Yes. This back and forth is hijacking the thread. Let's get back to the subject of the OP.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 PM
zombywoof zombywoof is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
The thread is a few months old but you might try asking here.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM
DrFidelius DrFidelius is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I see what you did there.
. . . and it cannot ever be un-seen.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Dog80 Dog80 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Even if porn actresses get injured while performing, I cannot justify the outrage of some groups.

The type of work we do always affects us in one way or another. Welders get some vision problems no matter how good eye protection they use. Construction workers will have knee and back pains. Office workers get carpal tunnel syndrome.

Why not get outraged about all these much more common (and if you ask me, more dilapidating) work related injuries, but get your panties in a twist over some porn actresses chaffed pussy?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM
BigT BigT is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
[Moderating]

rogerbox, it was perfectly clear in April R's posts that she was quoting from other sources. They were within quote tags, and had the link below. If you don't bother to look at the links themselves, that's your own fault. If you want to take issue with the information itself, go ahead. There's no call to accuse her of deception.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
And there's no call for you to get in the middle of it, seeing as accusing someone of deception is not against the rules. Especially since you refuse to punish April R. for posting a bunch of links without providing her own content.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter if she just posted links. It is inherently deceptive to post links that you don't agree with without making it clear that you don't believe in them. The assumption is that you believe what you post. And, again, I'm not breaking any rules by pointing that out.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 26,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And there's no call for you to get in the middle of it, seeing as accusing someone of deception is not against the rules. Especially since you refuse to punish April R. for posting a bunch of links without providing her own content.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter if she just posted links. It is inherently deceptive to post links that you don't agree with without making it clear that you don't believe in them. The assumption is that you believe what you post. And, again, I'm not breaking any rules by pointing that out.
Moderator Note

Actually, you are. If you have a disagreement with my moderation, the correct course is to open a thread in ATMB, not to dispute it or argue about the rules in the thread in question. You've been here plenty long enough to know this. No warning issued, but stop continuing the hijack now.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And there's no call for you to get in the middle of it, seeing as accusing someone of deception is not against the rules. Especially since you refuse to punish April R. for posting a bunch of links without providing her own content.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter if she just posted links. It is inherently deceptive to post links that you don't agree with without making it clear that you don't believe in them. The assumption is that you believe what you post. And, again, I'm not breaking any rules by pointing that out.
What the hell is on your schedule that makes you SUCH a busy-ass-body?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM
LazlowRave LazlowRave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog80 View Post
Why not get outraged about all these much more common (and if you ask me, more dilapidating) work related injuries, but get your panties in a twist over some porn actresses chaffed pussy?
I can see a point when it determines ones safety of injury. However they opening know all issues from the job. Also legally in sure there is a contract or process with put the production company non liable of any injury.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 26,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
What the hell is on your schedule that makes you SUCH a busy-ass-body?
[Moderator Note]

Ambivalid, insults are not permitted in General Questions. No warning issued, but don't do this again.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

[Moderator Instructions]

To everyone else, let's keep to the subject of the OP. Further off-topic responses, particularly personal remarks about other posters or discussion of moderation, may receive an official warning.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-25-2012 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
The study mentioned early actually deals with the content of porn, that study was not looking for what happened to the performers. (As pointed before by other posters, it is not really what most people look in porn, in other words, not really as representative, niche fetishes point to fewer women involved).

A more recent study points out that there is not much to the "damage goods" point.

http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/201...s-happier.html
Quote:
Women who appear in porn are happier than other women, enjoy sex more - and have lots more of it.

So says a new paper with the pulls-no-punches title of Pornography Actresses: An Assessment of the Damaged Goods Hypothesis

Researchers James Griffith and colleagues sampled 177 American adult actresses, and an equal number of other women of the same age, gender and relationship status. The results were pretty clear: the actresses said they started having sex earlier; had far more partners with an average of 75 vs. 5 in their lifetime (and that's not including on camera).

They were a lot more likely to be bisexual (67% vs 7%!), enjoyed sex more, and reported slightly higher levels of sexual satisfaction, happiness and self-esteem.

On the other hand, they were more worried about STDs and took more drugs (50% had tried ecstasy, 40% cocaine and 27% methamphetamine.)

Finally - and the authors emphasize this - they were no more likely than other women to have suffered childhood sexual abuse. They're not 'damaged goods' as that horrible phrase has it.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 AM
DrFidelius DrFidelius is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
The study mentioned early actually deals with the content of porn, that study was not looking for what happened to the performers. (As pointed before by other posters, it is not really what most people look in porn, in other words, not really as representative, niche fetishes point to fewer women involved).

A more recent study points out that there is not much to the "damage goods" point.

http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/201...s-happier.html
You mean that the performers are acting, and just pretending to experience brutality and humiliation? Next you'll try to tell me that no one actually gets shot during an action movie.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 AM
ruadh ruadh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
You mean that the performers are acting, and just pretending to experience brutality and humiliation?
Plenty of them aren't even doing that. They're just having sex.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog80 View Post
Even if porn actresses get injured while performing, I cannot justify the outrage of some groups.

The type of work we do always affects us in one way or another. Welders get some vision problems no matter how good eye protection they use. Construction workers will have knee and back pains. Office workers get carpal tunnel syndrome.
The way you say it, it sounds as if every single welder gets vision problems from work: they don't. As if every construction worker gets knee and back pains from work: they don't. As if every single office worker gets carpal tunnel syndrome: we don't.

I'm sure there's porn actors who get physically hurt at work, but I'm also sure there's preventative measures that can be put in place - same as in any other job. The way many US laws are written, with size limits to company duties, maybe a small porn producing company there does not need to have personnel dedicated to preventing injuries; firms based in Western Europe do, because our safety laws do not account for company size (while not in porn, I'm a company of one and I do have to have a safety officer; being a company of one, it's someone from my work insurance company; I'm required to have a medical checkup and a prevention talk every year).

Last edited by Nava; 11-27-2012 at 03:40 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 AM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
- but I'm also sure there's preventative measures that can be put in place - same as in any other job. The way many US laws are written, with size limits to company duties, maybe a small porn producing company there does not need to have personnel dedicated to preventing injuries
Certainly the personnel dedicated to preventing injuries in porn would definitely implement size limits in company duties.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Nava Nava is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
What I meant was, there are many US laws which don't apply if the company is small.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 AM
DrFidelius DrFidelius is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
What I meant was, there are many US laws which don't apply if the company is small.
Plus, the entire "amateur" sub-genre is unregulated by definition. But I consider them to be more like community theatre or company-league softball than the professional workers.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM
rogerbox rogerbox is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
What I meant was, there are many US laws which don't apply if the company is small.
I thought I was telling a witty humor-joke.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
There was some kind of "Who wants to be a porn star" show on cable a few years back. A secondary story was about a shoot with a guy who had a pierced member going at it with a girl. She suddenly started bleeding. Not that time of the month, her cervix had been lacerated.

There are plenty of injuries in mainstream acting and entertainment too. Stunts gone wrong, Vic Morrow dying, Ann Margaret falling off a stage. Life has it's perils.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.