The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-13-2001, 09:01 AM

I quit smoking about 5 years ago, and aside from a few relapses during drunken nights out with the boys, it's been pretty smooth sailing. My wife, Heather, and I have been together for close to 8 years, so she knew me when I smoked.

Well, the other night Heather was telling me about her day at work (she's a nurse), and I was having a really hard time following her. I had to ask her to stop and repeat herself 3 or 4 times. Finally, she looked at me and said, "You know, when we were first going out I thought you were so intelligent and insightful... I swear you're getting more stupid as the years go by. You're turning into a total dumbass."
Now of course she was kidding (for the most part) and we both laughed, but I think she's right; I am getting stupider. Things that I used to love reading and talking about take me hours to comprehend. And, I think it has to be for one of the following reasons:

1. She's on to me and has finally realized all the pseudo-intellectual crap that I used to spew was nothing more than garbage.
2. Like she said, as I am getting older, I'm getting stupider. or,
3. Smoking made me smarter.

I'm going with reason 3. Here's why: when I smoked a cigarette, I inadvertently was forcing myself to take the time and break away - to relax, reflect on the days events, let my mind unwind. At work, I had to step outside to smoke, so I removed myself from the stress of that environment. At home, I would either sit out on the front porch, or kick back in the recliner and peacefully watch the smoke rise in the air. But now that I don't smoke, I go through my whole day either going "La de da de da... ", or stressing out.

So, what do you think has not smoking made me stupid?

(As a side note, I would like to add that I do not intend to start smoking again, and that I joined this message board in the hopes that y'all would help me kick my brain back into gear. Coz I not stoopid. really! )
(Side note #2: Happy Birthday, Heather!(Apr. 14th)
Advertisements  
Old 04-13-2001, 10:02 AM

Well, it could have something to do with the years of suffocating your brain. The smoke would actually make you STUPIDER, because less oxygen will get to your brain, causing some mild problems in there.

I doubt that's actually it...but I'd go with #2.

Jman
Old 04-13-2001, 10:16 AM

Scientists have shown that smoking improves memory.
I don't know about intelligence but maybe there's some indirect link.
Also you're probably starting to go senile. Sorry.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:27 AM

Here's a cite on the effects of nicotine on the human body.

"It stimulates memory and alertness, enhancing cognitive skills that require speed, reaction time, vigilance, and work performance."

johnny fishface, there are other possible causes for your purported loss of with-it-ness. Aging dumbs you out in many ways. So does poor nutrition, lack of exercise, excessive drinking, smoking too much weed, and using brain-builders like Prozac. People who take a multi-vitamin daily, walk more often than semi-annually, stop juicing so hard, leave the weed for week-ends, and try life without prescription pharmaceuticals have a big advantage in facing life. Increasing your physical well-being can make you feel better about yourself and help ease worries about the inevitable decline of your synaptic connections.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:39 AM

Here's another report on a double-blind study concerning the effects of nicotine on short-term memory. I gotta admit I was skeptical of jonnyb's assertion, but apparently my doubts were ill-founded.

http://www.bgsm.edu/bgsm/physpharm/m.../sternsmk.html
Old 04-13-2001, 12:21 PM

You talk about "smarter" in your OP, but thatís a pretty broad term.

Smarter = better memory?
Smarter = Higher IQ?
Smarter = better emotional control?
Smarter = better logic?

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny fishface
<snip>

I'm going with reason 3. Here's why: when I smoked a cigarette, I inadvertently was forcing myself to take the time and break away - to relax, reflect on the days events, let my mind unwind. At work, I had to step outside to smoke, so I removed myself from the stress of that environment. At home, I would either sit out on the front porch, or kick back in the recliner and peacefully watch the smoke rise in the air. But now that I don't smoke, I go through my whole day either going "La de da de da... ", or stressing out.

<snip>

I think there might be something to this. I think you might be able to concentrate more on detail (like the story in the OP) if you allow yourself little breaks to let your mind go. At least, I do. I've often thought that if I am ever able to stop smoking that I will still take 5 minute breaks here and there to clear you mind and relax. Try taking a walk, or something like that.

Even if smoking does improve your memory, that doesn't necessarily correlate to better concentration, which sounds like the problem from the OP, IMO.
Old 04-13-2001, 03:38 PM

mouthbreather wrote:
Quote:
Even if smoking does improve your memory, that doesn't necessarily correlate to better concentration, which sounds like the problem from the OP, IMO.
yes, that's what I was getting at - comcentration.
Old 04-13-2001, 03:40 PM

let me try that again - concentration.
Old 04-13-2001, 04:18 PM

johnny fishface

Two things about smoking.. One, nicotine does have an effect on your congnative abilities, and they are surprisingly positive. Two, there's a regular, relaxing breathing pattern to smoking that also aids concentration.

So, since taking up smoking just isn't worth it for the cognative bump, I would recommend that when you'd normally take a smoke break, take an air break instead. Step away from what you're doing, get some air, get some movement.

Also, check into some books/classes on yoga or other breathing techniques. Many martial arts also include breathing techniques as important aids to centering one's self.

Smoking also gives the smoker a delaying tactic that the person needing their attention doesn't realize is a delaying tactic. So just be a little slower answering your wife, take the moment to think and see if you come up with better answers.

-Doug
Old 04-13-2001, 04:41 PM

Hmmm.

Should Cecil update the "Does smoking have any health benefits?" Column?
Old 04-13-2001, 05:51 PM

Nicotine has a short-term effect on your memory, sure. But smoking Marlboro's won't exactly turn you into Feynman either. The effect is probably small and temporary. For that matter, it also is purported to decrease your chance of Alzheimer's, but that could be because your risk of dying of something else is bigger.
Old 04-13-2001, 06:29 PM

I've been struggling with nicotine addiction off and on for about a year (in other words, I can't stop smoking) and I've noticed a pretty strong connection between smoking and concentration and presence of mind. I thought I was going senile for a while, even after getting over withdrawal symptoms, until I started smoking again and suddenly quit doing stupid things all the time. Now I hope to find some non-lethal substitute for cigarettes.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:17 PM

Bob
Hang in there, bro. It's worth it. It probably took me three tries to get it right, but you'll be amazed at how better you feel in the morning when you wake up. Those aches and pains go away.

To everyone else thank you very much.
I exercise a little bit and take daily vitamins, but I don't think it's enough; I'm going to look into the martial arts thing - I've been thinking about it for awhile.
crc You've got eagle eyes. I did a search and didn't turn up anything. Obviously, I didn't hit the right key words.
Old 04-14-2001, 02:06 AM

People who get smarter from smoking quit, right?

If you want something with similar stimulant properties but less nasty, switch to caffeine. Otherwise listen to Mozart (that one's no joke--studies have found that classical music aids concentration). Meditation and exercise also seem to help.
Old 04-14-2001, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

You ever seen the scars on somebody that's had a lung removed? I bet that smarts...
Old 04-14-2001, 10:40 AM

I work with the chronically mentally ill. Cigs obviously make them smarter, as nicotine counter-acts the side effects of psychotropic medications. (Anxiety, tremors, concentration.)

Don't ya just love the drug that eliminates the craving it creates? I was planning on stopping a week ago, & then my life went to hell. It is counted as a success if I don't take up heroin, or crawl into a bottle of scotch & die.

Pick your battles. Once I get over this rough spot I'm going on the patch.
Old 04-14-2001, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...and aside from a few relapses during drunken nights out with the boys, it's been pretty smooth sailing.
Smoking or no, it's those drunken nights out with the boys that are making you stupider. There is far more evidence that binge drinking causes brain damage, than there is evidence that smoking makes you smart(!).
Old 04-14-2001, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Pinky
Once I get over this rough spot I'm going on the patch. ]
Good luck, Pink. Ever thought to use Zyban with the patch? I've seen some good results with it. I tried the patch, the gum, and that thing with needles, too. Yeah, morphine. Finally IV nitro drip did the trick. Got it for my MI, never went back to queen nicotine again. Don't really advise that route.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:05 PM

If smoking makes you smarter, then explain why most of the dumb ass aggressive drivers have a ciggy in hand or mouth? Does it make them so smart they know better than the traffic laws, and laws of physics? BTW, when PlanDaughter had to go to driving school, nearly all of the other students were outside until the last minute before class, smoking away.
Old 04-17-2001, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I quit using tobacco about 25 years ago. One of the things I remember about it, though... When the wind was wrong, the smoke made my eyes smart.

--Nott
Old 04-19-2001, 08:28 AM

Considering how stupid you have to be to start smoking in the first place, perhaps those who choose to smoke should consider as large a dosage as possible. Some may need all the help they can get.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM

Wtf?

No, cigs don't help with memory or anything whatsoever. The only thing it might be good for is inducing a bowel movement. Sure, if you haven't had a cig in awhile, it may give you a little boost or buzz, but continued cig smoking just destroys your nerves and takes away. They do absolutely nothing....it is all an illusion. All you are doing with continued smoking is scratching an itch that is created by every proceeding cig. Eventually, they just wear you down and make you lethargic. They actually make you less sharp, thus dulling the memory.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM

Yes. When you smoke, and someone sees you,. they may educate you about both the danger to your health and the pathological insensitivity you have to your socialization. Hence, you become smarter.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

If zombies smoke, do they remember who they were?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM

What on earth are you talking about?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepHard View Post
You revived a very old thread-a "zombie". Board joke.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Thread is over 13 years old. Most original participants long gone. Responding to old threads inevitably brings up zombie comments here.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:02 PM

Your a jackass, for various reasons
Old 06-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Gee, thanks. You will fit right in here!

(And it's you're, not your.)
Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, cigs don't help with memory or anything whatsoever. The only thing it might be good for is inducing a bowel movement. Sure, if you haven't had a cig in awhile, it may give you a little boost or buzz, but continued cig smoking just destroys your nerves and takes away. They do absolutely nothing....it is all an illusion. All you are doing with continued smoking is scratching an itch that is created by every proceeding cig. Eventually, they just wear you down and make you lethargic. They actually make you less sharp, thus dulling the memory.
Just out of curiosity, how does a person find an eleven-year-old thread on a message board they have never visted? And what compelled you to answer people who are no interested in that discussion?

Last edited by DrFidelius; 06-26-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Old 06-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Yeah because grammar is what you are good at, and besides, I was using a phone that tried to autocorrect you moron
Old 06-26-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does a person find an eleven-year-old thread on a message board they have never visted? And what compelled you to answer people who are no interested in that discussion?
Googling the OP (does smoking make you smarter) brings this thread up on the first page. SDMB has strong google-fu. Why so many people land here (briefly) upon joining up, then answering an ancient thread, I have no clue.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM

Since this has been resurrected, I will link this article from Discover Magazine from earlier this year:
If dozens of human and animal studies published over the past six years are borne out by large clinical trials, nicotine ó freed at last of its noxious host, tobacco, and delivered instead by chewing gum or transdermal patch ó may prove to be a weirdly, improbably effective drug for relieving or preventing a variety of neurological disorders, including Parkinsonís disease, mild cognitive impairment (MCI), Touretteís and schizophrenia. It might even improve attention and focus enough to qualify as a cognitive enhancer. And, oh yeah, itís long been associated with weight loss, with few known safety risks. (Although, in truth, few safety studies of the increasingly popular e-cigarettes have yet been published.)

More: Nicotine, the Wonder Drug?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah because grammar is what you are good at, and besides, I was using a phone that tried to autocorrect you moron
Calm down, relax. Here, have a cigarette.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:17 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Quote:
Moderator Warning

StepHard, insults are not permitted in most forums on this board. This is an official warning. Do not do this again.

I would suggest you familiarize yourself with our rules before continuing to post here.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 06-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
By googling. That's how I found SD in the first place, myself.

Next question: How else would one find SD?

Last edited by jtur88; 06-26-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Does smoking make you smarter?

No, but beer does.

SPOILER:
It made Bud wiser. *SLAP* Ow! (runs away.)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Next question: How else would one find SD?
In my case it was a link from another board (Snopes). Some people have reported finding it because of Cecil's newspaper column, some from reading his books, etc.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 PM

I was looking for a book called "How To Stimulate a Wiser Teen in Today's Culture", and a typo brought me here.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Not to encourage people to smoke but smoking made me more creative and more focussed.

I don't smoke anymore.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Here is my theory: folks who have given up smoking after having been smokers for a significant period of time basically suffer from some type of withdrawal for the rest of their lives. I once worked for a man who had given up smoking fairly recently when he was responsible for managing an important project which absolutely had to be finished on time. It was my impression that without his cigarettes, the man was irritable, easily distracted and he had a hard time focussing for longer periods of time. When the pressure became too high, he started smoking again. He was almost instantly able to work more efficiently, he was back on his game.

On the other hand, people who never smoked like myself probably wouldn't be able to push their intellectual capacities if they started smoking.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 AM

This seems like a good application for vaping. I understand it's something like 100 times safer than the tobacco-combustion plan.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnerwetter View Post
Here is my theory: folks who have given up smoking after having been smokers for a significant period of time basically suffer from some type of withdrawal for the rest of their lives.
How significant a time period? I only smoked for 5ish years and quit with an ecig that I still use daily. I suspect I'll be vaping for the rest of my life, because I feel very foggy and stupid without nicotine. That was reflected in mistakes at work that nearly cost me my previous job.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

No, but beer does.

SPOILER:
It definitely made me one of the coor kids.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Nobbins View Post
This seems like a good application for vaping. I understand it's something like 100 times safer than the tobacco-combustion plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachellelogram View Post
How significant a time period? I only smoked for 5ish years and quit with an ecig that I still use daily. I suspect I'll be vaping for the rest of my life, because I feel very foggy and stupid without nicotine. That was reflected in mistakes at work that nearly cost me my previous job.
The Board likes vape.

Last edited by running coach; 06-27-2014 at 02:16 PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

No, but beer does.

SPOILER:
One of my friends worked in the Unemployment Insurance office, counselling recipients on interview techniques for jobs. He mentioned one winner, he had to tell him not to wear his hat to an interview. It was not a good impression on prospective employer to be wearing a hat that said "Beer makes me smart!"
Old 06-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny fishface View Post

Things that I used to love reading and talking about take me hours to comprehend. And, I think it has to be for one of the following reasons:

So, what do you think has not smoking made me stupid?
Brace yourself, Johnny, what I am about to say is dead serious: you almost certainly have ADHD.

I smoked two packs a day for 26 years. I also read novels my entire life, anywhere from 2 to 6 every month.

I quit smoking in September 2000. Cold turkey, no patches, no nothing. Since that day, 14 years ago, I have read exactly one novel. Starting on that day, I stopped being able to read novels, or any longform writing requiring linear consumption.

I told my then therapist about it at the time, and she suggested that I had ADHD, Because ADHD is treated with stimulants, and nicotine is a stimulant. A stimulant that has been shown to be effective in about 10% of ADHD sufferers. I had been self-medicating.

I dismissed her suggestion at the time. But over the next five years, as the other symptoms increased in severity, (symptoms which had been present my whole life, And were the primary source of all of my struggles in life) I continued to seek help with my struggles. I had a telephone conversation with a potential therapist, and after describing my issues, he said "you sound like you have ADHD, before you and I start any therapy, I think you should be evaluated by a psychiatrist".

And so it was that at the age of 47, I was finally diagnosed with ADHD, which had only been suspected when I stopped medicating myself with nicotine.

That was almost 10 years ago, I have been medicated ever sense, and Unfortunately for me none of the standard meds are effective for me when it comes to reading books, but they help in other ways.

I strongly urge you to make an appointment with a psychiatrist familiar with adult ADHD, and get evaluated.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
The Board likes vape.
What can I say, it's vape month.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
Brace yourself, Johnny, what I am about to say is dead serious: you almost certainly have ADHD.

I smoked two packs a day for 26 years. I also read novels my entire life, anywhere from 2 to 6 every month.

I quit smoking in September 2000. Cold turkey, no patches, no nothing. Since that day, 14 years ago, I have read exactly one novel. Starting on that day, I stopped being able to read novels, or any longform writing requiring linear consumption.

I told my then therapist about it at the time, and she suggested that I had ADHD, Because ADHD is treated with stimulants, and nicotine is a stimulant. A stimulant that has been shown to be effective in about 10% of ADHD sufferers. I had been self-medicating.

I dismissed her suggestion at the time. But over the next five years, as the other symptoms increased in severity, (symptoms which had been present my whole life, And were the primary source of all of my struggles in life) I continued to seek help with my struggles. I had a telephone conversation with a potential therapist, and after describing my issues, he said "you sound like you have ADHD, before you and I start any therapy, I think you should be evaluated by a psychiatrist".

And so it was that at the age of 47, I was finally diagnosed with ADHD, which had only been suspected when I stopped medicating myself with nicotine.

That was almost 10 years ago, I have been medicated ever sense, and Unfortunately for me none of the standard meds are effective for me when it comes to reading books, but they help in other ways.

I strongly urge you to make an appointment with a psychiatrist familiar with adult ADHD, and get evaluated.
Did you notice the OP has not posted in over twelve years? Probably dead of lung cancer or something.

Anyway. ADHD is a real thing. And nicotine can also be a real cure.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Did you notice the OP has not posted in over twelve years? Probably dead of lung cancer or something.

Anyway. ADHD is a real thing. And nicotine can also be a real cure.

I never check for zombie status.