"Common cold into an unstoppable plague"? WTF?

A weird claim in this post:

Well, I sure haven’t! A Google search proved fruitless. Does anyone know what this person is talking about? I can’t imagine it’s a cause for concern, but I wouldn’t know, would I - I have no idea what this person is referring to!

I think you linked wrong. :wink:

Australia has been in the throes of a whooping cough (pertussis) epidemic since 2007 (ish), due in part to a switch from whole-cell vaccines. Maybe that’s what she’s talking about.

Is it possible someone got very confused and is thinking of the American/Japanese/Dutch researchers’ work on extremely virulent H5N1 influenza?

Nope, I didn’t. Though that’s partly my fault; it wasn’t the post, technically, that made the claim, but a comment that itself I thought of as a “post.” I’m used to the message board paradigm when I post here, for obvious reasons.

Oh, I see. Carry on. :slight_smile: She might be talking about a strain of highly fatal mousepox that was accidentally created in Oz in 2001, but that doesn’t affect humans.

I am sure it is never that simple but mousepox sounds lik an excellent invention.