The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money
Advertisements  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I wish The Golden Compass had made enough to warrant sequels because I'd love to see a children's movie with gay angels and an insane God.
The studio didn't even have the balls to say that the Magisterium was the Church. (Not that the Church in Lyra's world has much in common with any current religious institution in ours.) No way Balthamos and Baruch would have made it in, and I suspect the other anti-clerical stuff would have gotten axed as well. I also seriously doubt they'd have killed off Roger. Simpering cowards.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards_beard View Post
Spaceballs II: The Search for More Money
I was really, really disappointed that when Spaceballs came out on DVD they didn't run with the whole SpaceBalls: The DVD thing.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM

History of the World, Part 2.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
BANNED

If another U.S. Marshals film starring Tommy Lee Jones were to be made, I'd want to see it! Of course, if the film were to be made, it would be the third one since the film named The Fugitive is pretty much the first.

God bless you and Tommy Lee always!!!

Holly
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio Tavulari View Post
Buckaroo Bonzai will return in Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League.
Oh, definitely. I've been waiting for that for a looooong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
The Rocketeer
Sahara
Galaxy Quest
The Incredibles
Y'know, I could get behind all of those. The Incredibles is probably the most likely to have a sequel; Brad Bird has said he'd like to do one, but wants a great script, and they just don't have one... yet. Crossing my fingers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
The obligatory 'I wish that Highlander had a sequel.' post.
Damn. Beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Would absolutely love to see Gillermo Del Toro do a sequel to Hellboy. No really - I liked the second one. Maybe some backstory into how Johann Kraus got that way, and a revisit from the Death character where Liz really does experience the consequences of the deal she made. I would want to the entire movie to be like that "Toro-esque" scene with the Death character, and dial back the slapstick.
Enthusiastically seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher3 View Post
Master and Commander. I'm a big fan of the books, and I thought the movie captured the spirit pretty well. I'd love to see one with some of Stephen Maturin's spy stuff included.
Likewise. Dunno if Crowe and Bettany are maybe a bit too long in the tooth by now? They might have to recast it.

Adding:

I'd love to see a Dark City sequel, if it were done well, with
SPOILER:
Murdock coming to grips with his awesome powers, dealing with boobytraps left behind by the Strangers, and figuring out where - and when - Earth is.

It probably couldn't be done, but a sequel to Limitless, which I really enjoyed, would be nice. Best movie I saw all last year.
SPOILER:
Eddie could continue to fence with Van Loon as his political career takes off - maybe we even see him reach the White House, but threatened by some revelation from his past as to either the drug, the death of the blonde, the Russian mobster or what really happened in his luxury apartment that fateful night...
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM

WRT Hellboy I think they were waiting for the comic to resolve the prophecy thing. Have they gotten to that yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Who Framed Roger Rabbit --- they apparently wanted to do this, but it's hard to get the various squabbling parties to agree. There was a follow-up comic, not to mention the three Roger Rabbit theatrical shorts (anything that gives us more Roger, and especially more Jessica, is welcome), but another movie coulda been good.
http://m.io9.com/5964674/3d-roger-ra...ill-hand-drawn
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Big Trouble in Little China - I have no idea what a sequel would have entailed, but Jack Burton was one of the most fun movie characters I've ever seen
I remember Richter's involvement in this movie had some people speculating that this was what became of any idea for a Buckaroo sequel. No cite at all, just talk I remember from sci-fi cons. ymmv
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM

Léon: The Professional.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Accident View Post
...I always wanted a sequel to Will Smith's Wild Wild West. Also would love to see one for Evolution, Slither, and Night of the Comet. (Yea, I love cheesy movies.)
I'm curious how Night of the Comet 2 would work. The zombies have already turned into red dust; would it just follow the same 6 survivors we saw at the end in their adventures in empty LA, or more survivor groups, or longer lasting zombies, or what? The comet isn't due to pass by Earth again for 65M yrs.

I'd leally like to see what happens a few yrs after District 9 when Christopher Johnson showing up with more ships and an intact hive, but I'm affraid any sequel would just turn into another standard alien invasion movie.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
If Jean Reno and Natalie Portman both return, this has potential.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
If Jean Reno and Natalie Portman both return, this has potential.
That could be problematic...
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Hugo II: Rise of the Automata. Christopher Lee and Chloe Moretz join forces to recruit an unlikely band of misfits to do battle with the clockwork killers that are ravaging 1930s Paris. With Johnny Depp as Salvador Dali and Zach Galifianakis as Ernest Hemingway.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM

The Ten Commandments II: The Amendments
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 AM

I'd like to see a Dark Crystal sequel. One was in the works but seems to have stalled. I'd rather see a prequel anyway. I'm reading Dark Crystal: Creation Myths right now and it's fantastic. I'd love to see a film adaptation.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

The Incredibles

Brad Bird--you used your fans shamefully, made one really fine movie, with meaning & ideas, hidden in a child's cartoon.
And then threw it all away to make crummy spy films that are 2 hours of blowing things up, & 5 minutes of dialog.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
The Incredibles

Brad Bird--you used your fans shamefully, made one really fine movie, with meaning & ideas, hidden in a child's cartoon.
And then threw it all away to make crummy spy films that are 2 hours of blowing things up, & 5 minutes of dialog.
I assume you mean TWO really fine movies... Or have you not seen The Iron Giant?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 AM

E.T.

But you know it is like 30 years later and basically the world has been hounding these children as to when E.T. is coming back. The US Gov says that there never was an E.T. and the kids are full of shit. (Keys murdered the team that was in the house) Basically Gertie is crazy, Michael is a recluse and it is about Elliot's faith. E.T. does not return.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I assume you mean TWO really fine movies... Or have you not seen The Iron Giant?
Concur.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

I'd kinda-sorta like to see a sequel to THEM!. Even though they could create amazing CGI ants, it just wouldn't be as fun as the original with people interacting with those cheesy "real" props.

Last edited by blondebear; 12-01-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Rembrandt dropped the nick for Ricardo and went on to lead The Bloodhound Gang.
You obviously remember the Bloodhound Gang differently than I do, because Ricardo was Vickie's bitch...
Old 12-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I missed the giant.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
I missed the giant.
You really owe it to yourself to fix that. ASAP is an understatement. If you have Netflix and 86 minutes, I'd say don't even bother replying to this post until you've fixed that.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
If you have Netflix and 86 minutes
...and a box of tissues.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Good catch.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:02 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
You really owe it to yourself to fix that. ASAP is an understatement. If you have Netflix and 86 minutes, I'd say don't even bother replying to this post until you've fixed that.
Definitely. The Iron Giant is a great movie.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
...and a box of tissues.
You sicko--that's a kids movie!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Ferris Bueller Gets His. A sequel where Ferris is all grown up with three kids of his own and the identical twin daughters get revenge on behalf of Karma on their pop. Must have Matthew Broderick, who apparently hates the Ferris character.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
You sicko--that's a kids movie!

Heh! I actually just posted on Facebook that I was going to see Les Miserables the weekend after Christmas with ticket and box of tissues in hand. Then clarified that they were for crying into, because my Facebook friends' list is a vile bunch of perverts, and I've never been that into Valjean/Javert slash, even with Crowe and Jackman in the roles.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 AM

Another vote for "Ronin" and "The professional."

Also George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez in "Out of Sight Part Two."
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Master and Commander. Also from 50 years earlier they could have done more Horatio Hornblower movies with Gregory Peck.

The 1972 biopic of Winston Churchill's early life "Young Winston" should have been followed with several more, perhaps one a decade with the same actor (Simon Ward) since Churchill was such a larger-than-life figure who lived an extraordinary life.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

There was.

It sucked BIG time.
For some reason, any time I'm channel surfing and land on that, it is ALWAYS the "puffball virus" scene. Which always prompts me to keep surfing. Seriously, I've seen the scene four times and no other part of the movie.

I could do with "The Incredibles 2" as well, although at least the sequels (or prequels) to Monsters Inc and Despicable Me will be out in the next year or so.

Could reeeeeeally do without the latest Die Hard installment though.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
"Colombiana" started life as a sequel starring Mathilda.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio Tavulari View Post
Buckaroo Bonzai will return in Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League
The problem there is that Jack Burton already did.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Big Trouble in Little China - I have no idea what a sequel would have entailed, but Jack Burton was one of the most fun movie characters I've ever seen
BTILC *was* Buckaroo Banzai II after a million script rewrites, so a sequel would have to be... the real BB2.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Prairie Home Companion II would be so great!

I'm not sure if I'm being ironic or not
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Precisely what I came in to post. I had heard that a sequel idea was being half-heartedly discussed, but that it had to do with Jack Aubrey's trial for stock-fixing. Bah! That would be the last storyline I'd choose for a movie.
Reluctantly agreed. The Reverse of the Medal was fantastic and heartbreaking, but I don't think the movie would work for the simple reason that the book builds and relies upon a lot of characterization from the novels that precede it.

I'd love to see The Mauritius Command, though. That would be a hell of a movie. Ditto The Ionian Mission or The Fortune of War.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

After the Facebook IPO, I think The Social Network is due for a sequel.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Sahara. Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels are fun to read; and Matthew McConaughey did a good job in playing the main character.

Unfortunately the legal battle between Clive Cussler the author and Philip Anschutz, the producer have pretty much guaranteed there will never be a sequel.

Then again, while I personally liked the movie, it didn't get rated too high on Rotten Tomatoes. So I'm thinking a sequel would not have happened anyway.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
Sahara. Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels are fun to read; and Matthew McConaughey did a good job in playing the main character.

Unfortunately the legal battle between Clive Cussler the author and Philip Anschutz, the producer have pretty much guaranteed there will never be a sequel.

Then again, while I personally liked the movie, it didn't get rated too high on Rotten Tomatoes. So I'm thinking a sequel would not have happened anyway.
sahara is one of my favorite Bad Movies. I'm still hoping to show it at an upcoming Bad Film Festival, maybe on a double bill with 10,000 B.C.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapSett View Post
A Knight's Tale. I suppose it had the happy ever after ending, but there are SO many directions it could have gone in. Adimar told William that he had entered into negotiations with Jocelyn's father for her... Just because William was made a knight, that does not mean those negotiations would have stopped.

Would have loved to seen more of my beloved characters.
Oooohhh Great Idea! First of all, that would finally give William Thatcher a chance to get with Kate, the "female blacksmith who bristles at being discriminated against." (description from Wikipedia)

Wow, I just discovered something cool. Laura Fraser (the female blacksmith) is also the character Lydia Rodarte-Quayle, the understandably nervous executive in the most recent season of Breaking Bad!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Remo Williams: The Adventure Resumes.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I wish The Golden Compass had made enough to warrant sequels because I'd love to see a children's movie with gay angels and an insane God.

Oh Odin, no. Golden Compass was a interesting book full of great images, such as armored polar bears and the kids id-critters. The next two books would depress a hyena and bore a sloth. Horrible horrible preachy books and almost certainly worse films.

Incredibles- but a prequel.

Yes, the prequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be nice.

The rest of the A&E Hornblower series, please! Same with the rest of Deadwood & Rome. Not to mention more of the A&E Nero Wolfe films.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapSett View Post
A Knight's Tale. I suppose it had the happy ever after ending, but there are SO many directions it could have gone in. Adimar told William that he had entered into negotiations with Jocelyn's father for her... Just because William was made a knight, that does not mean those negotiations would have stopped.

Would have loved to seen more of my beloved characters.

Except that Jocelyn is such a bitch and so unworthy of William that I can at least pretend he ran off with the blacksmith babe instead.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meh. Too many fridge moments, too preachy.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Condorman needs a sequel. It could be called: Flight of the Condorman.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
BTILC *was* Buckaroo Banzai II after a million script rewrites, so a sequel would have to be... the real BB2.
A Hollywood urban legend, denied by BB's director in the last question here: http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/08/15...tor-interview/
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

There was.

It sucked BIG time.
No, not really. Any movie with that much great music can't really be said to have "sucked big time". Let us just agree on "tragically flawed"?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

I am also going to go against the flow: if you watch ONLY the Directors cut of Highlander 2, and be forgiving on #3, they aren't that bad. The original release of H2 did suck donkey balls, no doubt.

And, Heavy Metal 2 isn't bad. Just disappointing.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
The Fifth Element
The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou
I dunno. The Big Lebowski is so damn good that anything can only be disappointing.