The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Which superheroes do you find least interesting or appealling?

I'm thinnking mostly in terms of big name characters here, rather than goofy, relatively unknown characters created by a committee to capitalize on some fad.
For my part, I've never been able summon up much interest in The Silver Surfer. He does seem to be a great favorite of stoners, though, for some reason. The original story that introduced both The Surfer and Galactus was interesting enough, but I'd never have missed either character if they were never used again.
Despite a personal involvement in martial arts, I've never been interested in any of the characters like Richard Dragon or Iron Fist whose schtick centered primarily around some form of martial arts.
Outside of GuanoMan, himself, I find the whole entire Bat Family a crashing bore. Always have, too. I first began enthusiastically reasing and collecting comics in the '70s when Batsy was solo because The Boy Hostage was "away at college." Reading a lot of vintage stuff introduced me to earlier versions of the characters. Still didn't like Robin. Batwoman, Batgirl, Batmite, Ace the Batdog, Manbat, et. al. stunk the joint up every time they appeared. Alfred was okay, though.
Advertisements  
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Never cared too much about Marvel superheroes when I was growing up, but back then, no one read Marvel (you could stump people in a trivia contest by asking "Peter Parker was what superhero?") and you were more likely to find Charlton Comics* on the newstands. They're adventures were too mundane and soap-opera-ish and I didn't care much for Jack Kirby's art (though I have learned to appreciate it).

If I were to name one, it'd be The Mighty Thor. The Norse mythology grew very dull very fast.

*Every one of which was completely uninteresting to me. Magnus, Robot Fighter seemed particularly stupid, since he was constantly punching out robots with his fists.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 11-30-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Superman. I never ever had the slightest interest in the too-perfect alien god.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the rest of the DC second-stringers. Although I've always liked the various Green Whatevers.

Agree with Chuck about Marvel. I didn't get into that universe until waay later in my life. Even then, I still didn't (and don't) give a crap about Spiderman.

Last edited by silenus; 11-30-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Yeah, Superman for me too. Four-color, goody two shoes...I even hate his stupid spitcurl. Perfect is boring.

Not a big Thor fan - I liked the movie okay, but the whole Asgardian thing in the comics was boring.

Don't like the Green Lantern either. All in all I'm not a big fan of any of the big DC heroes. Batman is okay, but you can keep the rest of them. And don't even get me started on the team (I forget the name and I'm too apathetic to go look it up) that has members named things like "Matter-Eater Lad" and "Bouncing Boy."
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Do not diss The Legion of Super-Heroes!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM

I learned to follow writers - not characters. It was usually mediocre writer that put me off rather than something about the character. Then again, DC's B and C listers like Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold, et al. always seemed a lot more boring than their 2nd tier Marvel counterparts.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Green Lantern, in his current incarnation. Both he and Superman are just too powerful. It's hard to think of any problem that couldn't be solved quickly and easily by either one.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Magnus, Robot Fighter seemed particularly stupid, since he was constantly punching out robots with his fists.
I have a particular fondness for Magnus, because he got me through Latin class. Sister Mary Elizabeth gave 50 extra credit points that week if someone could show her a Latin-based word "in the next five minutes." It just so happened that day good old Magnus was rolled up in my back pocket. She said later I would not have passed her class without that comic book.

My least favorites were the Metal Men, although I had some interesting fantasies come out of those comic books for some reason what with the female members of the team, surprisingly enough even more than Wonder Woman.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I always felt this way about Supes. Pretty much invulnerable; superpowers kept expanding until he was practically a god. Not much moral ambiguity. Even as I kid, I was bored pretty quickly.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM

I agree that superheroes with really open-ended powers are kind of dull. The Silver Surfer is an excellent example (and the surfboard thing isn't helping him, either) along with Superman, Green Lantern, Firestorm -- heck, the same applies for lots of Silver Age heroes (e.g. back when Green Arrow could whip out stuff like shark-repellent arrows or lava-solidifying arrows while driving his Arrowcar from the Arrowcave, etc.).
Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Wonder Woman.

A super is judged by his/her Rogues Gallery. Good villains define good heroes.

Witness Batman. Or, at Marvel, Spider-Man. Nuff said.

Wonder Woman's baddies are silly and stupid. Egg Fu? Dr Psycho? Baroness Von Gunther? Too lame.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Wonder Woman's baddies are silly and stupid. Egg Fu? Dr Psycho? Baroness Von Gunther? Too lame.
Don't forget Angle Man.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom_de_Plume View Post
I always felt this way about Supes. Pretty much invulnerable; superpowers kept expanding until he was practically a god. Not much moral ambiguity. Even as I kid, I was bored pretty quickly.
Exactly. Worst case of power creep I've ever seen outside of bad anime. Maybe even inside it, since most anime power creep at least tries to stick to a theme; Supes' writers just threw in random new powers whenever they wrote themselves into a corner.

My preference in superheroes is for those with a very limited power selection, which they gradually learn to use in different ways, or which they must apply in interesting ways to solve problems. If they weren't so profoundly dysfunctional--individually or in groups--the assorted Marvel mutants would probably be my favorites. The mutants generally have only one basic power, or a couple of closely related ones, and either find different ways to use them or team up to get things done. (Okay, they all obviously also have some kind of minor invulnerability, but that sort of goes for everyone in comics.) With his visor, Cyclops can fire huge optic blasts, or a fine cutting beam, but you're never going to see him get out of a pickle by suddenly remembering he can freeze stuff by breathing on it hard.

Of the (powered) DC heroes, the Flash is probably the closest to the ideal. Everything he does is a variation on moving really, really fast, plus the required secondary powers that go with it. I've always liked the Flash.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Ant Man. He looks like an idiot, riding on an ant. (Not to say his powerz are lame, he sends his minions of destruction to invade my kitchen every. single. year. I wish there was a Raid Man or Terro Girl to kick his ass.)
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Do not diss The Legion of Super-Heroes!
I still have a thing for Triplicate Girl.

Duo Damsel, not so much.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Perfect is boring. Heroes overcome obstacles, but there's not much which can even slow Superman down.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Ant Man. He looks like an idiot, riding on an ant.
You know, after they'd only had him spend maybe a year as ANT-Man, his creators apparently agreed: reinventing the guy as GIANT-Man, who can cover a lot of ground with long strides before picking up a car and using it as a throwing weapon. (He of course still kept the ants -- and eye-stabbing bees! -- on retainer.)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Don't forget Angle Man.
Even the headliners were dumb. The Cheetah was strictly a third-stringer.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM

Anyway, I was never really all that into the third-string members of the Avengers...Starfox was just dull, as was the Rambeau Captain Marvel. I actually liked Jocasta (and Jarvis, for that matter) more than them. Or Mantis. Or the Swordsman. That whole era the Avengers were pretty much a hollow pie...the headliners were the crust and the rest of it was air.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM
SDSAB

Plastic Man just always struck me as too dumb for words. Stretching all the time? And those stupid goggles? Meh.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

I'll also say Superman. I have no problem with his being a goody-goody; ambiguous heroes would have had trouble staying within Comics Code rules. It's the whole Kryptonite vulnerability thing. It's too easy to make awful, yet boring, stories with it.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Superman, and it's not because he's almost all-powerful. Look at Alan Moore's version of Miracleman.

But Superman is boring because of his supporting cast, the setting, his outdated costume and his new armored costume (why does he need armor??), his villains, personality, etc.

It's RARE when I read a good Superman story. Strangely the Superboy live action television show was exceptionally good for it's time.

Wonder Woman is a superhero comic I've always wanted to get into. Near all-powerful heroine in a sexy costume, with a mythological background, you'd think the stories would write themselves. But no, her rogues gallery sucks too, the art never captures her the right way (except for exceptions like the Dodsons, Hughes, and Bolland).
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Superman, Captain America, Batman (sometimes). I'm much more a fan of the 2-tiers and as Balance says, heroes with low power. Meaning Wolverine is right out too.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

Duo Damsel, not so much.
Yeah, the pretty one died.

I never really liked the Green Lanterns. They should have been more powerful. Here's a magic ring that will create ANYTHING you can imagine and will into existence and they use it to make giant green boxing gloves. (I admit I haven't read any GL comics in a long time.

Plastic Man was pretty unique, I think. He was always written as more of a comedian than a real hero, but when he imagined himself to be a streetlight, he became a streetlight and gave off light, when he imagined himself as a hot air balloon, he floated. He was also crazy, I always figured he'd imagine himself as a fusion bomb, or even just 180 pounds of plutonium and BOOM!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

Duo Damsel, not so much.
Really, even after she lost all that weight?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Wonder Woman with the exception of when she was plain Diana Prince and I Ching taught her the martial arts. Now those were some awesome comics.

The Angel is the lamest super-hero ever.

Agree with those who say Superman is boring. So is the Hulk. Most of the time, The Fantastic Four sucked.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I agree that superheroes with really open-ended powers are kind of dull. The Silver Surfer is an excellent example (and the surfboard thing isn't helping him, either) along with Superman, Green Lantern, Firestorm -- heck, the same applies for lots of Silver Age heroes (e.g. back when Green Arrow could whip out stuff like shark-repellent arrows or lava-solidifying arrows while driving his Arrowcar from the Arrowcave, etc.).
Boy, Firestorm was my man back in the day! I followed that title for a long time, almost to the very end of the 1982-1990 version. His powers never struck me as being too overwhelming to be interesting. He couldn't do anything to organic material, and he couldn't whip up a complex machine that he didn't completely understand the workings of.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
Most of the time, The Fantastic Four sucked.
Actually, I think we can refine this down to "Mr Fantastic sucks". He tops my list, closely followed by Ant-man. The whole "super-scientist" thing is just lame, and adding dorky powers on top of it just ups the lameness.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 AM

I've always been a Marvel person and never really liked any of the DC heroes (aside from Batman). Lots of reasons - bland personalities (Superman is perfect, Wonder Woman is uh... a woman, Green Lantern is uh...heroic); lack of good villains; and too powerful/too many powers. As noted, Batman is still very likeable because he doesn't have any of these problems.

The Marvel characters seem more interesting from the get-go because they usually have a limited power set and a built-in personality flaw/character dilemma. Hulk is just super-strong and super-tough, he doesn't get eye lasers or flight or a magic whip, and he's got the whole "lose control and turn into a berserker" problem, which is more personality than I can say Superman or Wonder Woman has.

Obviously, it always boils down to the skill of the writer, and good writers can make even bland superheroes interesting (Superman, for example, may be "perfect" but works great as a foil to an imperfect world, see stories like Kingdom Come.)
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 AM

The Afro-American Green Lantern; no for his color but because I grew up with the pilot Hal Jordan. Ditto with whoever made the bunggling cowardly Flash character of today. So unlike Barry Allen, or his older counterpart in Earth 2.

Last edited by the_diego; 12-03-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 AM

Superman just because they have an obsession with making him a fucking boyscout, I think other characters even joke about it on Smallville. He isn't only invincible physically he is boring as hell.

Daredevil just because his whole premise is kind of silly, whoa he is like blind and shit. I think it is the lack of supernatural element, I mean I know blind people don't develop bat like echolocation(if they did why do they use sensor sticks?) so it just collapses it.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
Daredevil just because his whole premise is kind of silly, whoa he is like blind and shit. I think it is the lack of supernatural element, I mean I know blind people don't develop bat like echolocation(if they did why do they use sensor sticks?) so it just collapses it.
All the crazy stuff in comics, and THIS is too crazy for you?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
All the crazy stuff in comics, and THIS is too crazy for you?
Well I mean I can't say for sure that the really crazy scifi/fantasy stuff is false, but that is something I can say is false.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diego View Post
Ditto with whoever made the bunggling cowardly Flash character of today.
Bungling? Cowardly? I haven't seen that. Wally can act pretty goofy, but he's solid when things get serious--his goofball routine is at least partly an act.

Of course, if you're not talking about Wally, all bets are off. The Flash family is pretty extensive, and I think they swap the name around a bit. Plus, I'm not following the New 52, so I have no idea what's going on there.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM

I'm going to have to go with Aquaman. I'm just not that interested in crimes that happen under the sea, or hearing what a porpoise has to say on the matter.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 AM

Sometimes the porpoise commits the crime.

Then Aquaman has to defeat the porpoise
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 AM

I'm mostly a Marvel guy, and can't really comment on characters like Plastic Man and such.
I do know that for the longest time Aquaman was a joke but didn't they make him pretty badass now?

I never really cared about the Fantastic Four. Thing and Torch are cool but as a team I just never gave a damn.
They were boring in Marvel's Ultimate Universe as well. A lot of the characters were redesigned there, and so were the FF. Younger, flashier, etc..but still boring to me.

Though I do like how they use Reid now.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
I learned to follow writers - not characters. It was usually mediocre writer that put me off rather than something about the character. Then again, DC's B and C listers like Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold, et al. always seemed a lot more boring than their 2nd tier Marvel counterparts.
This is pretty much me. A good writer can make a character worth reading, a mediocre writer can ruin one. Wonder Woman was one of my favorite comics because I began reading it at the Perez relaunch in the 1980s, but man, she had a lot of crappy comics before (and after) that makes me understand why she's getting so little love in this thread. The Hulk as written by Peter David, the Simonson Thor, etc., were all worth reading even if I tended to not like the characters otherwise. And ditto on the DC b-list. I think it's cool that they "rescued" a lot of characters from Charlton and so on, but they've never fit in very well. Marvel seemed to be interested in telling interesting stories using lower-end characters, but DC usually seemed content to just let them languish.

That said, characters/teams that I tend to find uninteresting:
Dr. Strange. Never have gotten into him; I hated it when he had to share Strange Tales with Cloak and Dagger (two of my favorite B-level Marvel characters).
Wolverine. Over used, overdone.
Storm. She was always written a little too "perfect" for my tastes.
Lobo. I wanted to like Lobo, as he seemed to take the piss out of hypermasculine 90s comics... but meh.
Ghost Rider. Boring.
Teen Titans. I like some of the individual Teen Titans characters, but it never seemed to gel like LoSH or X-Men.
Batman. Always reminded me of Dick Tracy -- interesting only for his rogues gallery. There are some good stories with Batman, though. I love his cameo in the Black Orchid mini, the Killing Joke is great... never got into the Byrne takes on him (OTOH, Byrne's takes on Daredevil were great).
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Sometimes the porpoise commits the crime.
Plus, sometimes the crime is transporting gulls across a staid lion for immoral porpoises.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Plus, sometimes the crime is transporting gulls across a staid lion for immoral porpoises.
As opposed to transporting indecorous lions across a gully for immortal tortoises?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
You know, after they'd only had him spend maybe a year as ANT-Man, his creators apparently agreed: reinventing the guy as GIANT-Man, who can cover a lot of ground with long strides before picking up a car and using it as a throwing weapon. (He of course still kept the ants -- and eye-stabbing bees! -- on retainer.)
I like how they use Pym in the Avengers cartoon. He's both Ant-Man and Giant Man, just depending on whether he needs to shrink or grow.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I like how they use Pym in the Avengers cartoon. He's both Ant-Man and Giant Man, just depending on whether he needs to shrink or grow.
There's a joke in there somewhere.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Pym Particles: better than viagra!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Have to go with Plastic Man and Mr. Fantastic. As Johnny Storm said about the power (and I might be paraphrasing), "ew, gross."
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM

The Punisher is another one I never found interesting. Yeah, kills criminals. While an interesting one-off can come from a character like that, as a series it grows repetitious pretty quickly. Reading one Punisher comic is like reading any other to me; I never read many of the Mac Bolan novels for exactly the same reason.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Confusing the polarity
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Pym Particles: better than viagra!
My first thought when I saw the post about whether he needs to shrink or grow was, "Maybe he should change his name to Size Queen."
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM

I was never a reader of DC, so my choice of Superman is based only on the Christopher Reeve films. I actually liked those movies, such as they were, but the character himself fits the bill of the OP.

I still haven't seen the redux, and have no desire to.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm another who isn't that fond of Superman. I think he could be written well, but seriously he needs to lose the whole cast of characters around him.

I also don't like Spiderman much. I don't hate him or anything, but I don't find him interesting or appealing.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Daredevil. I just wonder what the pitch was.

"Okay, he's like Spider-Man, but his life is even worse, and totally devoid of fun."