The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Do musicians still do that diva act of taking the stage hours after the scheduled start time?

I haven't been to many concerts in the past ten years or so. One thing I used hate,especially in the 1980s, was that endless wait for the band to finally take the stage. I can remember The Rolling Stones were especially horrible about this, not taking the stage until a couple of hours after the scheduled start time.

However, in these days of tickets priced in the hundreds of dollars and non smoking arenas, do musicians still pull this crap? I'm going to guess it is a lot less common these days.

I guess I'll find out since I'm going with a friend to see Lady Gaga in January!
Advertisements  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 AM

Yep, been to a few recently where the waiting became ridiculous.

In fact, if you go see what is calling itself GNR these days, consider yourself lucky that Axel shows up at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Interestingly, I've noticed this declining over the last 20 years. Or, how Rush does it.

WAAAY back when I was a very young man Rush started late...sometimes very late.

Then, as I got older they always started 30 minutes after the listed time.

Now, as they (and I) are old. They start at the moment, knowing them to the microsecond, listed on the ticket.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 AM

It seems very rare at large concerts nowadays in Australia. The only band I can recall being very late, in the last several years, was Public Enemy and I believe that was due to illness.

I think one of the reasons is that many venues in residential areas have noise curfews and have to finish by a set hour. Venues that are in out of the way areas are often served by public transport (your ticket often includes free trains/buses) and they run to pre determined schedules.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I went to see a Springsteen show in Kansas City a few years back. It was a Sunday night show and the showtime on the tickets was 7pm. It was almost 9pm before the show started, meaning it wasn't over until around midnight. A lot of people who had to get up for work or school the next day were understandably upset. As it turns out, Bruce had played in St Louis the night before and stuck around for a Sunday afternoon Cardinals baseball game, so they were late getting to town. (And apparently didn't have time for a sound check either. The first few songs sounded like crap until they finally got the sound adjusted.)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM

A few years ago my wife and I went to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Time on the tickets: 8:00
Opening act began at close to 9:00 and played for about an hour.
Then we waited. And waited.
Brian & Co. finally took the stage just before midnight. They were great, but we oldsters were trying not to fall asleep by the end of it.

Last concert we've been to.

Last edited by Wheelz; 12-04-2012 at 09:39 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

I go to probably half a dozen rock concerts a year and the typical schedule is something like doors at 7pm, opening band from 8-8:45, main act from 9:30-11. Maybe things run a little later if it's a Friday or Saturday evening. I don't normally go to the huge, $120 a ticket mega-acts from before I was born, though.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Most of the shows I go to start later than advertised - I think in most of these cases though it's not about the musicians being "divas" but rather the venue wanting to make more money selling drinks.

Last edited by zombywoof; 12-04-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM

I have only been to two concerts in the last five years (Ani DiFranco and Widespread Panic/Allman
Brother Band) and they started reasonably on time IIRC.

I remember see Talking Heads when they filmed "Stop Making Sense" and they were 45 minutes late but purposely-an accident had caused major delays on the nearby highway. So it was a good gesture to their fans , not diva.

The one time I saw diva behavior was with the Clash after Mick Jones left and they were recording
"Cut the Crap". They were way late because they didn't like the fact the college fieldhouse they were playing it had seats in front and the proles like me standing in back. Eventually they got there way but it was a long delay, with Joe Strummer saying he didn't want the group to end up like other groups he knew, separate limousines.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
However, in these days of tickets priced in the hundreds of dollars and non smoking arenas, do musicians still pull this crap?
Well if they do, here's how you deal with it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Most of the shows I go to start later than advertised - I think in most of these cases though it's not about the musicians being "divas" but rather the venue wanting to make more money selling drinks.
Exactly this. I've been to three big concerts in the last year (Bob Seger, Aerosmith, and just the other night, Bruce Springsteen). Each concert started about half an hour later than the stated time. There were still 100s of seats unfilled and people walking in with drinks and food at the stated start time, but by the time the concert started seats were filled and people were happily munching and slurping away on their giant sodas and garlic fries.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
B. O. B. O. D. D. Y.

Good point, Rhiannon8404. I went to see Peter Gabriel and the New Blood Orchestra, and he actually came out to introduce the opening act before the start time. I'm a punctual person but I was still in line for drinks! The lines weren't even very long at the drink stations, but you could see people scrambling to their seats all through the opener.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM

About 30 years ago "Trouser Press" magazine published a letter from the manager of Max's Kansas City club after TP urged earlier starting times for their shows. The manager said three times in the previous two years MKC tried that for several weeks..listing the early starting times in their print and radio ads. The audience still continued to show up late and since musicians didn't want to play to a sparsely populated crowd, they stalled and came up with every excuse not to start on time. The manager suggested that TP address its venom to the audience....they wanted to show up late.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM

In my experience, the listed start time has always been when the opening acts are to take the stage and the openers are pretty punctual. You only know that the main act will start at some undefined time afterward, and if you are not interested in the opener you can gamble at how late to arrive.

For single-bill acts, they seem to rarely be more than a half-hour late.

I'll also note that general admission shows seem to start later more often than assigned seating shows.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
In my experience, the listed start time has always been when the opening acts are to take the stage and the openers are pretty punctual. You only know that the main act will start at some undefined time afterward, and if you are not interested in the opener you can gamble at how late to arrive.
Pretty much my experience, too. I don't think I've been to a concert--at least not recently--where there is a time for the main act on the ticket. Usually, it's just the start time for the opening act(s).
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM

I went to see Mark Lanegan perform in May. The show was to begin at 8:00, and not only did he take the stage precisely at 8:00, but the opening act kept adding a prologue before each of his songs that went something like: "Okay, since we only have 7 minutes left....[song].....okay, 3 more minutes left...[short song]..." I don't know if this was due to a request by Mark Lanegan himself, but somebody was very conscientious about being punctual.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluiddruid View Post
Good point, Rhiannon8404. I went to see Peter Gabriel and the New Blood Orchestra, and he actually came out to introduce the opening act before the start time. I'm a punctual person but I was still in line for drinks! The lines weren't even very long at the drink stations, but you could see people scrambling to their seats all through the opener.
You wonder, though, where the cause and effect lie. On the rare occasion I go to a concert these days, I don't even consider showing up "on time" because I assume the act I'm there to see will begin playing late. So if acts are now starting late to accomodate late arrivals, it just seems like the basis for a vicious circular-shaped cycle-type thing that may just get worse as time goes on.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post
I go to probably half a dozen rock concerts a year and the typical schedule is something like doors at 7pm, opening band from 8-8:45, main act from 9:30-11. Maybe things run a little later if it's a Friday or Saturday evening. I don't normally go to the huge, $120 a ticket mega-acts from before I was born, though.
I went to see Midnight Oil back in the 1980s at a club on Miami Beach. I assumed a schedule similar to the one that you gave. I showed up at about 9:15, expecting the band to go on somewhat after 10:00. I hadn't bought tickets for the show, and I could hear the band from outside the venue when I showed up. I asked a security guy if the show had already started. He said that they were on their second encore. They must have started around 8:00. I grumbled some and went home. Never have seen Midnight Oil in concert.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I've been to hundreds of shows in my life and to me, this is how it works. I can't say I've ever seen a time on a ticket and thought "This is when the main act will be on stage." Lots of tickets/posters just say "Doors X:XX PM"

I've never considered it a diva act. In fact I've spent time back stage with bands, big and small, while they dick around waiting for someone from the club to tell them it's time to go on. It's definitely a venue thing.

Do big-ticket tickets say something specific about time on the ticket? Like "Performance starts at 8" or just a time?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I haven't been to many concerts in the past ten years or so. One thing I used hate,especially in the 1980s, was that endless wait for the band to finally take the stage. I can remember The Rolling Stones were especially horrible about this, not taking the stage until a couple of hours after the scheduled start time.
If you read Keith's autobiography this appeared to be because he in particular didn't give a crap about the audience - or much of anyone else. He pulled it during recording sessions also.

I've seen them twice in the last 10 or 12 years, and both times they started more or less on time. I guess now he is recovered, he is better.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Yep, been to a few recently where the waiting became ridiculous.

In fact, if you go see what is calling itself GNR these days, consider yourself lucky that Axel shows up at all.
These days? GnR only rarely showed up on time back in the old days, when they were still good.

Neil Diamond and Paul McCartney played pretty much on time at their (separate) concerts, IIRC. 'Course, they're also in their 70s, so that might have something to do with it. I swear I was like the 5th youngest person in the stadium at the last Neil concert I went to, and I was 35 at the time!

Last edited by Snickers; 12-04-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM

For the most part it's a venue thing, multiple hour waits are diva acts for sure, though, Madonna doin it a lot this tour. At large venues, there are lots of people coming that don't go to many concerts, parking is confusing, then the whole finding their seat part, the venue gives a :45 minute to hour buffer. I was shooting Red Hot Chili Peppers and security was huffing and puffing because they were 4 minutes late. This was due to Keidis being in a car wreck recently and walking a little slower. The venue is very controlled, big artists that pull that stuff get banned from venues all the time (although money tends to let them back). I always show up when doors open, it's hilarious watching people frantically get to their seats when a performer actually starts at the show time. I'd say that happens with ten percent of shows I've seen, if that. I love it, in bed by 11.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I go to several concerts a year, both arena shows and smaller venues, and by and large the opening act generally starts on time. At shows where there isn't an opening act (like Rush, or Roger Waters), the show pretty much always begins promptly at the scheduled time.

The only show I've ever been to where I can recall there being a major delay was the Doors' reunion concert in 2003, where they took the stage about 45 minutes late. (Possibly because they'd just gotten into town about an hour previously, though we just don't know.)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 PM

I don't know if it's just a UK thing, but increasingly smaller venues have two events on in an evening. The live band first, then they clear everyone out for a late club. The result is gigs that have a 10.30 or 11pm curfew, and the inevitable earlier start time. As a result, I now usually phone or email the venue in advance and ask for show times. Even if there isn't a club on later, I find venues usually have show times set out which are pretty much adhered to.

Jack White at the Edinburgh Usher Hall recently it just said "doors open 7pm" on the ticket. I phoned the venue and they helpfully said "support act on 7.30pm, Jack White on 8.40pm, show finish 10.45". He was about ten minutes later than the start and finish times, which I don't think we'll class as diva behaviour.

Some venues have even started putting show times on their web sites over here. It doesn't half make life easier.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 PM

My wife and I saw Alice Cooper in 2008. There was no opening act, and the show was scheduled to start at 7:30. At 7:30 on the dot, the house lights went down, the stage lights came up (curtain still down), and the opening riff for "It's Hot Tonight" started playing, immediately followed by silhouette of (what turned out to be) an Alice imposter on the curtain. By 7:30:30 the curtain had dropped, the imposter Alice was in a heap in front of the drum riser, and the real Alice was front and center. My wife, who hates it when shows start late, was very impressed.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 PM

According to the Washington Post, when Madonna came to town this past September, she was a full two and a half hours late, taking the stage at 10:30 p.m. despite an 8:00 posted start time.

That to me is along the lines of pushing it and demonstrating to the fans that you don't really give a shit about them, Super Diva or no.

Article here.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

I know Rihanna was criticized for being very late to some of her shows (among many other things she was criticized for) during that 777 tour fiasco.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The only show I've ever been to where I can recall there being a major delay was the Doors' reunion concert in 2003, where they took the stage about 45 minutes late. (Possibly because they'd just gotten into town about an hour previously, though we just don't know.)
Could be they also wasted a few minutes looking around.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
I know Rihanna was criticized for being very late to some of her shows (among many other things she was criticized for) during that 777 tour fiasco.
I think she was a couple of hours late in Stockholm the other week.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
These days? GnR only rarely showed up on time back in the old days, when they were still good.
Sorry, by "these days" I meant the current line up not that their habits had changed.

I remember seeing GNR back in '87 when they opened for Maiden on the Seventh Son tour. At the time, they weren't famous yet, but being a musician and keeping up with what was going on in L.A., I had heard of them and a friend came with us specifically to see them.
What surprised me was how unprofessional they were!
It was like watching some garage band practice. They were late then just walked out on stage and stumbled through 8-10 broken up songs almost all of which were an awful mess. The guys were just standing around, while stage hands and techs were scrambling to tune guitars and fix other technical problems. Later, I chalked it up to them being high as kites and most likely missing their sound check.

The crowd became so disinterested in them they began chanting for Maiden in the middle of their set. They eventually struggled through but ended their set with Paradise City which because of some crowd participation on the chorus, won back the crowd a bit at the end.

Saw them a couple of years later as a headliner and they had really improved.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM

I tried to see Spinal Tap in Cleveland one time. Those jokers never took the stage.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM

The last concert I went to was a few years ago, Lacuna Coil followed by some other metal band whose name I have forgotten.

Lacuna Coil showed up on time so we were actually late. They had been who I came to see and didn't expect them to start on time. They were also pretty much booed off the stage and cut their set short. Then the band everyone was shouting about didn't show up. We waited about 2 hours and left.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM

I've seen Ani DiFranco several times - side note: being a middle-aged straight white guy at an Ani DiFranco concert makes it very easy for your friends to find you in the crowd - and it always seemed that she went onstage pretty promptly. But then, Ani is sooo not a diva.

Last concert I saw was Tim McGraw. (I'm not a fan, but Mrs. SMV would leave me in a heartbeat for him). The show started on time, and he even sang some songs with the opener. He seems pretty classy, though - we won a raffle to go see him do a short acoustic set in a small tent, before the show. He sang a few songs, but it was mainly to let his band show off their chops.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

The latest I've ever personally seen the headliner go on was a Springsteen show in 1984 where they were about 50 minutes late. But they had a good excuse. The LA Sports Arena is right next door to the Coliseum and they share the same parking lots. The 1:00 Raiders game had gone into overtime and didn't end until almost 5. So you had 40-50,000 football fans trying to leave while 16,000 Springsteen fans are arriving using the same freeway offramps, surface streets, and parking lots. Total traffic mess. By the 7:30 start time, the arena was only about half full, so they gave the audience more time to show up and settle in.

The worst ones I've heard about from friends were Guns N Roses on the Use Your Illusion tour. Start time on ticket: 8:00 pm. They finally went on at 12:30 am. Fortunately both times I saw GnR they were an opening act (Red Hot Chili Peppers at UCLA in 1986 (I hadn't heard of GnR at that time and the only thing I really remembered about their set was the guitarist wore a top hat), Rolling Stones in 1989) so they couldn't pull that crap.

Absolute worst diva act encountered by a friend: Prince at the Forum in 1998. The tickets said doors open at 6:30 for a 7:30 show.
6:30: Doors don't open
6:45: Doors still not open. Guy with bullhorn asking crowd to be patient.
7:00 Doors still not open. Guy with bullhorn looks pissed but still asking for patience.
7:15 Lots of beefy security guys start positioning themselves in front of the doors.
7:20. Doors still closed. Guy with bullhorn and several beefy security guys asks for quiet and calm, then announces Prince (who is inside the arena) has decided he's not going to do the show. No explanation given. Refunds available at point of purchase. Go home.
As far as I know, no explanation was ever given. No medical emergency, no death in the family, nothing. Just a big middle finger to the people who came out.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
7:20. Doors still closed. Guy with bullhorn and several beefy security guys asks for quiet and calm, then announces Prince (who is inside the arena) has decided he's not going to do the show. No explanation given. Refunds available at point of purchase. Go home.
As far as I know, no explanation was ever given. No medical emergency, no death in the family, nothing. Just a big middle finger to the people who came out.
Prince is an arrogant diva asshole and always has been, that's the explanation.

At the U2 concert last year, they came on stage at 9:02pm and for the first third of their show, I kept marveling at all the empty (better than mine) seats in the stadium. Eventually they all filled, but I kept thinking "who pays that kind of money and then misses half the show???".
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat View Post
According to the Washington Post, when Madonna came to town this past September, she was a full two and a half hours late, taking the stage at 10:30 p.m. despite an 8:00 posted start time.

That to me is along the lines of pushing it and demonstrating to the fans that you don't really give a shit about them, Super Diva or no.

Article here.
Came in to say I'm not a fan and didn't go, but a review of Madonna's Pittsburgh concert mentioned that she was 2 hours and 45 minutes late starting her show. To be fair she did a full set. Lots of pissed off comments in the Post-Gazettes web site about this. People were also pissed that she went into this big political rant about Obama being re-elected. I like Obama too but if I came to hear the music and see the show and the singer started going into political stuff I would be pissed off too.

By contrast I've seen the Trans-Siberian Orchestra twice and both shows they started right on time. I remember an interview with founder Paul O'Neal saying "the fans don't owe us, WE owe THEM", and saying he tells the younger folks in the band to make every performance special (or something to that effect). And they do, both shows it looked like all the performers were having fun, and both shows were spectacular.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM

a friend of mine saw Madonna recently and she started hours late. friend kept posting on Facebook "still waiting..still waiting"

I'd be pissed, those tickets cost a mint.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 AM

I've been to more concerts in the last few years than I've been to in my entire life (I'm 41). And because my musical tastes are all over the map we're covering lotsa genres and levels of fame.

Paul McCartney I've seen twice but the first time was like early 90's (Flowers in the Dirt) and I don't remember if he came out late or even if there was an opening act. When I saw him on his most recent tour though he came out maybe 30-40 minutes late? (This was in San Francisco which think might've been the first or second stop, so there may have been technical issues which I think people don't take into consideration.) Obviously Paul McCartney doesn't have an opening act. You best have your butt in the seat, drinks in hand by the time stated on the ticket.

Pet Shop Boys I've seen a few times (also no opening act, they have a DJ until they make it onstage.) Usually 15-20 minutes late.

Assorted boybands: Opening acts start ON TIME. 80% of the crowd are people with curfews and liquor sales are a non-issue. I went to a sold out Big Time Rush show and me and two sullen dads were the only people in the bar. With FIVE bartenders. These shows usually start around 7 and are over by 10.

Something I've come to hate about opening acts is when they sneak in a local radio personality or something. The couple One Direction concerts I saw (where they headlined) Olly Murs was the opener (who is good. Perfectly cromulent.) In their Oakland show the venue managed to wedge in this shrieking banshee and to add insult to injury they had decided to not sell alcohol at the show. WOW! They didn't know there would be parents there?

Last edited by voguevixen; 12-06-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
Came in to say I'm not a fan and didn't go, but a review of Madonna's Pittsburgh concert mentioned that she was 2 hours and 45 minutes late starting her show. To be fair she did a full set. Lots of pissed off comments in the Post-Gazettes web site about this. People were also pissed that she went into this big political rant about Obama being re-elected. I like Obama too but if I came to hear the music and see the show and the singer started going into political stuff I would be pissed off too.

By contrast I've seen the Trans-Siberian Orchestra twice and both shows they started right on time. I remember an interview with founder Paul O'Neal saying "the fans don't owe us, WE owe THEM", and saying he tells the younger folks in the band to make every performance special (or something to that effect). And they do, both shows it looked like all the performers were having fun, and both shows were spectacular.
After 1D's recent Madison Square Garden show Niall said he saw a sign saying "Thank you for changing my life." and tweeted: "No. Thank YOU for changing MY life."
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 AM

My wife saw Madonna in Chicago on this tour and reported the same thing. She has some contacts in the concert venue world, and evidently Madge has taken to having the clocks removed from her backstage area, and now goes on stage only when she decides she is ready and not when some stupid clock says she should.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
After 1D's recent Madison Square Garden show Niall said he saw a sign saying "Thank you for changing my life." and tweeted: "No. Thank YOU for changing MY life."
I would very likely despite 1D's music, but now that I've read this post, call me a "fan." That kid gets it. His Mom brought him up right.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM

A friend of mine went to the Madonna concert in NYC last September and I was getting text messages at 10:30 pm to say she had still not gone on stage. This after driving 1.5 hrs and needing to be up for work the next day.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I would very likely despite 1D's music, but now that I've read this post, call me a "fan." That kid gets it. His Mom brought him up right.

They actually write a lot but give props to the ghostwriters one of whom is Ed Sheerran. He is going to be the next big thing after this next big thing.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM

When I was in Saint Petersburg, I went to see Gogol Bordello. (To be clear, I didn't go there just to see them--they just happened to be there when I was.) We showed up at the time on the tix, went in, and found the opening act already on stage. I was a bit shocked. Obviously the convention is different in Russia.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
I tried to see Spinal Tap in Cleveland one time. Those jokers never took the stage.
I worked as a backstage janitor at that venue! Wow...talk about the old days.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast pakora View Post
A friend of mine went to the Madonna concert in NYC last September and I was getting text messages at 10:30 pm to say she had still not gone on stage. This after driving 1.5 hrs and needing to be up for work the next day.
Why would Madonna need to be up for work the next day? I have to think she's probably got a little money stashed away by now.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Why would Madonna need to be up for work the next day? I have to think she's probably got a little money stashed away by now.
Is this a whoosh? I read it as the friend was the one who needed to be up for work the next day, and was upset that the concert started and ended so late.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
Is this a whoosh? I read it as the friend was the one who needed to be up for work the next day, and was upset that the concert started and ended so late.
Yes, I meant to add a smiley there.