Nationwide: Lord of the Rings Trilogy in theaters!

The Extended versions no less! Tomorrow, Saturday, and some theaters, Sunday too. I know that Cinemark and AMC are showing them. I’m not sure about other theater chains. We’re going to a Cinemark in Evanston, IL (they’ll be doing it Sunday too). Tickets there are $25 on the regular screen and $30 on the super big “XD” screen. We looked at a few different theaters trying to decide which one to go to and the start times were different at each theater. Where we’re going, Fellowship starts at 11:00am (whereas AMC River East starts at 10am), Two Towers starts at 3:10 and Return of the King starts at 7:25.

Yes, we’re insane. And? I love my husband because he’s as insane as I am.

So excited!

List of theaters.

Time to get our geek on.

I looked up the technical specs and was surprised to learn that there are different extended versions:

The Fellowship of the Ring
Runtime: 178 min | 208 min (special extended edition) | 228 min (Special Extended Blu-Ray Edition)

The Two Towers (2002)
Runtime: 179 min | 223 min (special extended edition) | 235 min (Special Extended Blu-Ray Edition)

The Return of the King (2003)
Runtime: 201 min | 251 min (extended edition) | 263 min (Special Extended Blu-Ray Edition)

The happy totals:
Extended: 682 minutes = 11h22m
Extended Blu-Ray: 726 minutes = 12h6m

__
We need to find a place to lay low for the next 18 to 24 hours.
There’s a Planet of The Apes marathon at the NuArt today.
Five movies, two hours apiece… it’s a start.

Oh how I’d love to see them on the big screen again!! Happy for any & all of u who get to go!

I saw each of them in the theaters, and I’ve watched them perhaps once since whenever they were on cable, but I’m nowhere near enough of a fan to buy a ticket for this slog. In fact, it sounds awful. Hey, I’m happy for whoever is on board with this sort of thing, but no thanks.

Make sure you use those intermissions to avoid DVT. That’s some serious butt numbing action.

I just bought the Blu-ray extended edition, but I’m so tempted to go and experience it again. And to be able to see the whole trilogy at once on the big screen! That would be something.

StG

Did that at a friend’s place last fall. We took breaks for lunch and dinner, but Return of the King couldn’t finish fast enough for me and I liked all three films. Never doing that again.

yeah, i’ve done it before with a friend at my place. all 3 films, extended editions, one break to make a food run. it’s a long time to watch movies. i wouldn’t say i’d never do it again, though.

I can’t imagine doing it. My wife and I are watching the extended cuts, but only one per weekend.

Even with that, we’ve been splitting them into two sessions, mainly because we have other stuff to watch.

I’m at the Evanston Century theater right now, just after the Two Towers ended, and we’re doing fine. We chose to see it in the XD theater, and there are only a handful of people here.

One of the enjoyable parts of seeing them like this (besides the amazing picture and sound) is to see the arc of the characters over the course of a single day.

Do people really have that much of a problem seeing twelve hours of movies? That’s pretty much standard for attendance at film festivals - in this case, it’s a Lord of the Rings specific festival.

That was truly wonderful! My butt doesn’t hurt at all. If I had the money I’d do it again tomorrow. Er, today. I’ll make do with a showing of A Christmas Story for $5 at The Patio. That I’ve also seen many times but never on the big screen, and The Patio has a big, BIG screen!

Husband and I went on Saturday. It was $30 each, lasted from 10AM to 11:30 PM, and totally worth it.

I’ve tried doing a marathon at home, and it just isn’t the same. The fully immersive experience of the big screen makes it far, far easier to just fall into the story and not feel the passage of time.