I don't have a thermometer, is there any way to estimate my body temperature?

I am all alone too, so I can’t have someone feel my forehead.

Just a semi-snarky WAG, but your temp is probably in the range of 96 - 104 degrees. If you’re asking, and not feeling delirious, I’ll narrow that range to 99 - 101.

Perhaps you should go buy a thermometer. They’re not terribly expensive, and they give quick, snark-free results.

The human body is pretty good at detecting changes in temperature, but it really sucks at detecting absolute temperature. A good example to prove this is to put one hand in hot water and one hand in cold water, then put both hands in the same moderate temperature water. One hand will feel the water as warm and the other will feel it as cool even though it is the same water.

So in other words, relying on your own senses isn’t a reliable way of determining your temperature. Even having someone else feel your forehead isn’t all that reliable. You are basically just detecting if you are hotter or colder than that person, who may or may not be at an average-ish temperature. Someone who doesn’t have a raging fever will be able to tell that someone who does have a raging fever is hotter than they are. On the other hand, someone who comes in from the cold (or even just a colder room) will think a normal person is hot too.

Your best bet is to go out and get yourself a thermometer. It’s not like they are hideously expensive or difficult to find.

If you have one of these, they do a fair job of telling your temp, but rounded to the nearest degree.

Do I even want to ask where the probe went?:eek:

I haven’t taken my temp. in years, but my normal was always 97 point something. You could tell I had a fever if I had a temperature above 99 or so which didn’t happen very often.

Um, under my tongue like you would any other thermometer. Seriously, why would you even ask this question?

Oh!

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to stick it in the deepest part of the thigh.

I can usually tell if I’m over 99 by a few signs:

-heart rate is unusually fast
-I feel wobbly or weird to some degree
-eyes look dull (my mom could instantly tell how sick I was just by this)
-face feels oddly tight or dry

But I have no clue what your personal indicators would be. I’d go pick up a thermometer, if you’re feeling well enough to get to the store.

I can often tell if I need to get the thermometer for the kids if they look flushed and their ears are hot. Often their eyes look strange, too.

Start with a bucket of ice water, a pot of boiling water, and a thermos. Assume the ice water is 34 degrees, the boiling water 210 degrees. Temper the thermos to approximately body temperature with lukewarm tap water. Pour appropriate masses (or volumes, taking expansion into account) of the hot and cold water into the thermos, such that the temperature of the resulting water will be 98 degrees. I’m feeling lazy, but you could probably find an online calculator to do the math.

Soak your hand in the 98 degree water for 30 seconds or so to acclimate it to that temperature. Then poke your finger up your butt. If it feels warmer than the water did, you might be running a temperature.

…or go buy a thermometer :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a Thermometer Module with Alarm that I bought years ago at a hobby store. I use it for all my temperature needs - air temp, component temps, meat thermometer and sublingual thermometer. Accurate to a tenth of a degree for all applications. Right now I’m at 36.5 and the air is at 21.1 (20.5 outside the door).

I was with you right up until the end wheresmymind, but that’s the kind of out of the box thinking I was looking for. Unfortunately it’s not very practical here in my hotel room.

Because it seemed slightly humorous, given the probe has a sharpened tip and some of us grew up in the days that rectal thermometers were prevalent. :smiley:

And what folly said.