Drawing A Circle

Do right-handed people mostly draw, say, the letter “O” in a clockwise circle, or a counter-clockwise circle? (I’m left-handed, I don’t know)

Mods: my apologies if this should be in IMHO. But I figured there’s mostly one answer.

This is not meant to be a poll – I’m wondering about things like the Earth’s rotation,the (western) preference for clockwise and left-to-right motion, and chirality of molecules. Er, and any potential connection.

The inside of my head is a fun place.

I am right-handed and tend to draw my circles in a clockwise direction.

I also live in the northern hemisphere, if that factors in to your theory. :wink:

I am right-handed and draw my circles counterclockwise.

The next time I dip below the equator, I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

right handed
counterclockwise
northern hemisphere
virgo

Right handed, counter clockwise. It probably has nothing to do with the earth’s rotation or how molecules are oriented or whatever.

Right-handed.
Clockwise.
Northern Hemisphere.
Pisces.

I think my sign was “Maternity Ward.”

Right-handed, anti-clockwise.

I also draw my capital E strokes in upward order (down, right, middle, top)

Ditto, on both counts. :slight_smile:

Right handed, counter-clockwise starting from top dead center. Northeren Hemisphere.

I’m right-handed, Northern hemisphere resident, and I go counter-clockwise.

Didn’t realise the portion of the Earth was actually a serious (?) part of the OP. I’m in the Southern Hemisphere, where the Coriolis Effect on anything other than weather patterns is a myth.

Right handed, counter-clockwise, Southern Hemisphere, cancerian and year of the snake.

Right-handed, counterclockwise, (checks toilet flush) Northern Hemisphere

Right-handed, counter-clockwise, northern hemisphere, Gemini, year of the Ox, and the moon was in the third house, the House of Communications, when I was born.

As for the northern hemisphere, the further north I travel, the slower the angular velocity my circle drawing becomes. :smiley:

Right handed, counter-clockwise, Southern Hemisphere, Sagittarian allergic to peanuts. but…

if I try to freehand draw a bigger circle, say ball or disc sized, I draw clockwise. :confused:

Right handed. Counter clockwise. Northern hemisphere.

Right handed. Counter-clockwise. Starting at the top of the circle.

Northern hemisphere. New world. Scorpio (old style). Virgo (new style). Year of the Ox. Element of Metal. Punarvasu Nakshatra.

Argh. Got a poll anyway. I actually thought there was one factual answer. I mean, don’t they give you workbooks in kindergarten that show you how to draw letters; you know, with a dotted line and, in the case of circles, an arrow? I guess this means that some of you were either very naughty, or asserting your cognitive individuality – your choice.

My assumption was that, since I’m left-handed and draw my circles clockwise, right-handed people (the 9/10s majority) must draw them counter-clockwise. I was originally wondering if the way that most people draw circles had anything to do with why the graphic of the world turning that I linked to was portrayed turning in the wrong direction.

But after I came back to check responses, somehow I realized that I wasn’t absolutely sure which direction I draw my circles at all. Finally I had to go look at a pre-existing example of my writing to find out for sure.

And I was wrong. I actually draw them counter-clockwise. So now I can’t remember what my theory was exactly, but I’m pretty sure it was wrong. :confused:

As long as I’m asking, is there a preponderance of left or right-handed molecules in nature? How about clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation? Do most planets in the solar system rotate in one direction? Is there any real reason for the direction of rotation of things in space, other than, say, an impact?

I’m right-handed, Northern hemisphere resident, and I go counter-clockwise.

I just tried several times to do it clockwise and they all turned out to be capital "D"s. I would keep a close eye on those who go the other way. I think that’s how you can out the Lizard People. Or Scientologists; same thing.