Spree killer "crazy eyes"

Does anyone else notice a trend in spree killers having the “crazy eyes” in their photographs?

Some examples:

Batman shooter

CTshooter

I hadn’t said anything about this, because I thought maybe it was just me. I’ve been noticing a trait among unbalanced people wherein you can see more of the bottom or bottom and top of the eyeball, exposing the entire iris.

Of course, I’m sure there’s just as many normal looking people with psychotic tendencies, but the ones we get the most of are the ones with…THE EYYYEEESSSSS!!!

the gem that shot Gabby Gifford

Not a killer, as far as I can tell, but definitely crazy eyes.

Bit of selective choices going on here.

Most spree killers don’t have the crazy eyes. Charles Whitman didn’t, James Huberty didn’t, Jivery Woong didn’t, Nidal Hasan didn’t, Mark Barton didn’t, Marc Lepine didn’t, Seung-Hi Cho didn’t, Thomas Hamilton didn’t, and on and on.

In at least two cases, the media did it on purpose.

See also the O.J. Simpson front page.

Anyone can look crazy or stupid for a thousandth of a second.

how could you not mention the one who started the bizarre eyes thing:

here’s looking at you, kid

Really! I’d already decided that if I was out in a public gathering place (like the mall :rolleyes:) and saw somebody “stealthily” approaching with bugged-out eyes I should yell the warning “Crazy eyes! Crazy eyes!”
It might not be an historic indicator of madness but it seems to be so now.
When the white shows all around the iris, they’re seeing things that aren’t there. And we don’t want to be in their sights.

Seen the same eyes in people on large doses of coke and stims, wondering if it is somehow related to dopamine?

That cite is rubbish. The sun thing is obviously red-eye due to camera flash. And the other example in the cite was just a by product of standard production techniques, as the cite itself says.

How strange… didn’t even know there is an “Alief Post” and I grew up in Alief, and my parents still live near there.

Keep in mind that those pictures are the ones the media choose to show.

I’ve heard it said that media photographers always take more than one photo “in case the first one is good.”

More than eyes the common links I see are
He was so smart
He was such a quiet friendly neighbor

This - the media is going to go out of their way to slant the story to fit their narrative. Crazy killer - well let’s make sure the pics show just that! Innocent victim - let’s make sure the pics show that!

That’s why I shout a constant barrage of stupid sounding insults at my neighbors; I want them to feel safe.

Come on. You know this one has a basement that would make Torquemada squeamish.

But I can totally believe he’d kill Buckwheat. He talked about it constantly.

Yup, was just coming here to say that. Also, the photos we usually see in the news are mug shots or similarly posed ID photos. Everyone pause for a moment and check your driver’s license (or other ID) - crazy eyes? I’ll bet so…

Gotcha one better.

Spicks and specks a music trivia show used to have a bit called serial killer or musician, showing a photo of each and contestants picking the right one.

People did no better than random.

Otara