sauerbraten and potato dumplings

I am making this for tomorrow’s dinner. I have marinated the beef and cooked the potatoes. I am about to make the dumplings. Tomorrow I will brown the beef, make the gravy, and enjoy.

I was looking up recipes for the dumplings and had no idea some people put a crouton in each dumpling. Never heard of that.

Are you talking about dumplings along the lines of Spatzle (German) or knedliky (Czech)? :dubious:

I assume knödel or Klöße (German), as spätzle are never made with potatoes, so far as I know. And certainly not croutons. Where would you put them?

Yeah, croutons in the middle of the knödel dumpling are not weird, but I don’t think I’ve ever had them made that way. I’m not German, though, so don’t take my word as gospel; I’ve only visited and had them there.

a recipe that is similar to my potato dumplings.

I am so looking forward to this meal. No one locally is interested in trying it so its all mine. I have 10 nice size dumplings so that makes atleast 5 meals.

yum~

Nice.

Once you have accomplished sauerbraten, have a go at hasenpfeffer - though store bought bunny is expensive so we sub in chicken and it works just fine.

Wow. We had sauerbraten last night. It was a different recipe, involving a three day marinade in buttermilk. No dumplings, though. :frowning:

Which is why I asked for clarification. So far as I know, Sauerbraten is traditionally eaten with Spätzle.

The big potato dumplings are common with saeurbraten. I prefer them with spaetzle myself. If you do a Google image search, you’ll see probably about a 50-50 split between what type of dumpling/noodle they’re served with.

ETA: Wikipedia page in German on sauerbraten. It says the classic accompaniament to Rhiner sauerbraten is potato dumplings (and the picture of the Saxon sauerbraten has the big dumpling, too). That said, that’s just one style of saeurbraten. I would assume in a place like Swabia, spaetzle would be the more usual accompaniament.

Buttermilk? That’s a new one for me. Do you a recipe?

I’ll ask my gf tonight. It was very tasty.

Sauerbraten from scratch?
Wow - you are brave.
Even when I lived in Germany, most Germans would buy it pre-marinated from the local butcher rather than go through the effort to do it themselves!

The pre-made, packaged dumplings are also quite good by the way.

(Either I knew a bunch of lazy Germans, or you are really brave and gung-ho…)

It’s not that hard to make. Just takes a little forethought. All it is is an extra-long marinade. When you live somewhere where there’s no other option, what else ya gonna do? Hell, I’ve made homemade corned beef before because I was living somewhere where such a thing doesn’t exist (Hungary), and all you need is a bucket some salt and spices, and about three weeks of patience and fridge space.

I make sauerbraten usually once a year. My husband and I host an Oktoberfest party at our house most every year, and one of the things I contribute is sauerbraten. I’ve even made it out of venison when my husband had some from deer hunting.

My mother makes two types of dumplings. One where the potatoes are cooked before being formed into dumplings and one where raw potatoes are shredded and then formed into dumplings. She only puts croutons into the raw ones. The raw kind also are labor intensive, so she rarely makes those anymore.

This is the recipe she followed. the only change was a 72 hour marinade, instead of the 48 mentioned. It was awesome. Crushed gingersnaps thicken the gravy.

Oh, and instead of “discarding the solids” when you strain the broth, the dogs enjoyed it.:smiley:

Yeah, gingersnaps is how I thicken mine, too. Thanks. I’ll have to try the buttermilk variant soon.

Thuringer knodel have the croutons in them. I prefer mixed raw and cooked potatoes in my dumplings. My mom grew up in Hessen, where croutons aren’t usually included. Here in the States, she tended to use the Maggi boxed mix and they were delicious.

I’m reviving this old thread because I’m cooking sauerbraten for the first time for dinner tonight. Not zombie sauerbraten! That’d just be icky.

I’ve had a lovely chuck roast marinating in the red wine vinegar/spices/onions marinade for a couple of days. I have some spaetzle I bought at a German market which will be the starch accompaniment, served tossed with butter and parsley.

Now what’ll I make as the vegie side dish? I’m about to go to the supermarket in a couple of hours and I can’t make up my mind what to serve.

Also, one sauerbraten recipe said to serve the dish with sour cream, and the one time I ate it at a German restaurant, the sauce did have sour cream in it. However, the vast majority of online recipes do not mention sour cream. It was good at the restaurant, but is it authentic?

I’m a big fan of serving chopped red cabbage (often with apples), with red wine vinegar and butter.

Thanks, Ferret Herder. I looked up a couple of red cabbage recipes and ended up making chopped red cabbage with bacon and onions and a little mustard as the side dish.

Geez, sauerbraten is delish. I was a bit doubtful of the ingredients for the sauce, as red wine vinegar and gingersnaps seemed like a peculiar combination. But the final result is heavenly - beefy and tart and gingery and spicy all at the same time.

The buttered spaetzle were the perfect foil to pick up the spicy gravy. I did end up serving sour cream on the side so one could put a dollop on top of the noodles, and it was a great addition.