Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Lee Dorman(Iron Butterfly) dead at 70.

Another one bites the dust.

So many memories of mis-spent youth.
Advertisements  
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 PM

Damn! That song is 44 years old? I must be getting old.

R.I.P. Lee.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

It's good to see Lee Dorman remembered on the SDMB.
Iron Butterfly were "heavy metal" long before that phrase entered the musical lexicon.
R.I.P. Lee
Old 12-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

That's a shame, always liked the songs on the other side of Vida as well... maybe finally get the Fillmore East cd now...
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Featuring Charles Manson on the drums! I remember thinking that song was interminable, even back in '68, when it came out. One guy in the barracks played it over and over. The story goes that the original title was "In the Garden of Eden", but the lead singer was drunk or high when he sang it, so the title was changed to his slurred version.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Featuring Charles Manson on the drums! I remember thinking that song was interminable, even back in '68, when it came out. One guy in the barracks played it over and over. The story goes that the original title was "In the Garden of Eden", but the lead singer was drunk or high when he sang it, so the title was changed to his slurred version.
Interesting. Makes sense. Was sort of the Stairway or Free Bird of it's time. An anthem. Remember it well. Sweet bird of youth.

Rest in peace, Mr. Dorman.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
it was a multipurpose song; church hymn and rock and/or roll.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Featuring Charles Manson on the drums!
I hadn't heard that before, and a quick search doesn't bring up any connection other than that the Manson Family occupied a house that the group had moved out of some time previously...
Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurglys View Post
I hadn't heard that before, and a quick search doesn't bring up any connection other than that the Manson Family occupied a house that the group had moved out of some time previously...
I think Chefguy was making a joke. And as to that famous drum solo, if you listen carefully, it seems to be a series of variations of the old "shave and a haircut" riff.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I'll consider myself whooshed, then...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead View Post
I think Chefguy was making a joke. And as to that famous drum solo, if you listen carefully, it seems to be a series of variations of the old "shave and a haircut" riff.
Yeah, I just thought he looked a bit like him. I remember we all thought the drum solo was cool, but it's really pretty boring stuff in comparison to what some can do. I always smile when I see old videos like that. They didn't even bother to plug a cord into the guitars to give it some semblance of an actual performance. It was the same with groups on variety shows like Ed Sullivan. Evan at a young age, I knew it was being lip-synched.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 PM

I remember inna gada da vida playing on the radio when I was 7 or 8 years old and my dad explaining "In the 70's, radio DJ's loved these 10 minute drum solos and 20 minute songs because they could get them rolling and step out back to blaze a doobie." "What's blaze a doobie?" "I mean, have some lunch."
Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

We used to refer to them as "taking a crap" songs.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurglys View Post
If you google "Ron Bushy images" (he was the drummer) you'll see a black & white photo where he does kind of look like Charles Manson. I think that was the photo from the back cover of Inna Gadda Da Vida.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Lee was the bassist for another great band, Captain Beyond.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 PM

No one read/heard that "In a Gadda Da Vida" was supposed to be Yiddish for "In The Garden Of Love", or was that just PR to cover up the fact Dorman was drunk?

Q
Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
No one read/heard that "In a Gadda Da Vida" was supposed to be Yiddish for "In The Garden Of Love", or was that just PR to cover up the fact Dorman was drunk?Q
As I remember it, the story has always been that Ingle (not Dorman) was slobbering drunk when he first presented it to the band. I wonder if being drunk made him sound even more like Boris Karloff?
Trivia of interest only to me: I saw them at the concert that became the "Live" album. (San Diego Sports Arena, '68 or '69). It was far out and groovy.
A couple of years later, I missed seeing Dorman with Captain Beyond, because I didn't like the headline group (Deep Purple, IIRC). My friend was there and told me later, and often, that Dorman, Reinhardt and Caldwell were as good on stage as on record.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

I remember my uncle was visiting when I was playing my record of In A Gadda Da Vida. When (at about the 11 minute mark) there was that rather scratchy guitar noise his comment was "that guy outside is wrecking his gearbox!".
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 AM

Actually,Neil Yong was quoted as saying something to the fact Manson was a talented lyricist and musician.Who know's if Beach Boy's manager didn't fuck him(please,I'm not a Manson fan,but a total young freak)the 69 rampage might not have happened. (not an excuse just a btw)Young stopped hanging w/Manson 'cuz he was "getting a little farout".(Neil Young-Journey through the past-by Nigel Wiliamson).Or we're you fucking around?I never heard Manson played drum's,just geetar and singing.(an entire LP was put out of his recording's,supposedly o.k., however I only heard one tune.(liked it)anywho we're talkin'n 'bout Iron Maid...errr. Butterfly.But come on guy's and gal's,wasn't the title album's musicianship alittle basic?One hit wonder?

Last edited by damagedgoods; 12-23-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 AM

If you google "bushy Ron images" I bet you'll find something alittle different.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 AM

response to Eugene's post

I was only 2-3 at the time,however I'd hardly call ...."Da Vida" an "anthem" of it's time.It was basiclly an nonsensical song. Vietnam, race riot's, gay & woman's movement's.Come on, it was a one hit wonder-w/out any real meaning. It's basiclly 'bout "gadda" gettin "ina" chick's pant's! How 'bout "Woodenships" "ohio" "The Time's They Are 'A Changin" "Senator's Son". How 'bout Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"? Come on dude! "Ina Gadda Da Vida" is hardly an "Anthem of the end of the "Summer of Love" Ohh yeah!That remind's me. "Paint it Black, Gimme Shelter" "Free Bird" and Zep's tune are almost an era later!

Last edited by damagedgoods; 12-23-2012 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: 4got title
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

What the hell are you on about? The album sold more than 30 million copies and is among the top 40 selling albums of all time.

Iron Butterfly also charted with two subsequent albums Metamorphosis and Ball also charted well.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Trivia of interest only to me: I saw them at the concert that became the "Live" album. (San Diego Sports Arena, '68 or '69). It was far out and groovy.
Definitely of interest to me too, as that was my first concert ever! December 1969, and they announced from the stage that they were recording it for a live album. Remember the opening act (before It's a Beautiful Day came on), Too People? I've never been able to find any reference to them since, and I've always wondered who they were.

Very sorry about Lee Dorman's passing--with Erik Brann's death a few years back, half of the classic Butterfly lineup is now gone. I've always thought Iron Butterfly was very underrated, unfairly dismissed as one-hit wonders thanks to that extended jam vehicle with the unfortunate title. "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" forever typed them as slack-jawed heavy metal neanderthals, when they were really a very spiffy psych outfit. Dorman in particular had some very active and tasty bass lines on the band's more song-oriented material. Incidentally, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida wasn't even their best album; Ball was.

After his stint in the music business, Lee Dorman worked as a bus driver for San Diego Transit. I think the driver with the big muttonchops on the the line I used to take to my job in El Cajon must have been him.

R.I.P. Lee.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 AM
BANNED

First bass line I ever learned to play, I think.

And the bass line I play to this day to see if I'm in tune.

R.I.P.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagedgoods View Post
Butterfly.But come on guy's and gal's,wasn't the title album's musicianship a little basic?
Yes, except for Dorman. I think he was playing below his capabilities with IB, as evidenced by his performances with Captain Beyond.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
Definitely of interest to me too, as that was my first concert ever! December 1969, and they announced from the stage that they were recording it for a live album. Remember the opening act (before It's a Beautiful Day came on), Too People? I've never been able to find any reference to them since, and I've always wondered who they were.
Well, you just ruined my story. I was at the Sports Arena concert about a year earlier, and I don't remember who else was on the bill but it definitely was not It's A Beautiful Day. Until I read your post I had completely forgotten about the second Butterfly concert at the Arena, which I intentionally skipped for reasons I still can't recall.
By the way, remember how it was called the "Sports Aroma"? That place must have been decrepit before they'd finished building it.
Quote:
...with Erik Brann's death a few years back...
Almost ten years. Time flies.
Quote:
Incidentally, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida wasn't even their best album; Ball was.
Most of IB's canon hasn't aged well for me, but I still enjoy listening to three songs from IAGDV (including the title cut). My favorite, which hasn't aged a bit, is in fact from Ball --- Belda Beast.

* Arguably the worst ever pairing of fantastic band with idiotic name.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 12-23-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting to see that some folks remember Captain Beyond.
I was going to mention that band in my first posting but I figured no one remembers Captain Beyond. (Guess I was wrong).
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_meister View Post
It's interesting to see that some folks remember Captain Beyond.
I was going to mention that band in my first posting but I figured no one remembers Captain Beyond. (Guess I was wrong).
Captain Beyond was awesome. I mean, Iron Butterfly, everything on that album is sort of shambling, unfinished. But the first version of Captain Beyond, with Bobby Caldwell on drums, is simply one of the greatest hard rock bands ever.

Dancing Madly Backwards, parts 1, 2, and 3

Raging River of Fear

The whole album is kickass.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritant View Post
... the first version of Captain Beyond, with Bobby Caldwell on drums, is simply one of the greatest hard rock bands ever....The whole album is kickass.
Especially Caldwell. All three instrumentalists are stellar, but that drumming still makes my jaw drop.