Best Replacement for MS Money software?

I’ve been using MS Money for 7 or 8 years. Just updated to a Windows 8 box and Money is no longer available.

What do you recommend for checkbook management on a PC? Not really interested in adding it to my phone or having data stored in a cloud somewhere. Basic personal checkbook management.

Looked at Quicken reviews on Amazon and they’re just terrible for their latest release. What do the SMDB financial wizards say or recommend?

If it was me, I would just make up a spreadsheet, but I already have Excel, and I wouldn’t buy it just for this particular need.

I use Quicken. It’s got a tom of stuff I don’t use but you can use it for a checkbook manager. That’s what I do. People are probably complaining because Intuit keeps adding stuff you don’t need, which is true, but the price doesn’t go up much based on these extra things.

I’ve been using Quicken for about twenty years and like it. I was pleased that they added a smartphone app to the latest version. If you want something simpler, there’s Mint, which is entirely online but completely free. (Note that it’s owned by Intuit, which owns Quicken.)

Are you sure the last, free version of Money will not run under 8? It runs great under 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738

I know several people who say good things about GNUCash. Never used it myself, but it seems fairly sound.

Went with Quicken. File conversion went smoothly. Basic accounting functions and reports seem very solid. On reading more reviews most of the complaints were about new functionality to work with phones - which doesn’t interest me.

Thanks for all the input!