Gas Fireplace Pilot Won't Go Out

I know, usually people can’t keep their pilot light lit, right? In this case, I have a LP gas burning fireplace. I turn it off after each use completely. As I understand it, a temperature regulating valve will shut off the gas once the throttle valve (which I can control) is closed to stop feeding the fireplace. This time, I noticed the pilot light was taking an usually long time to go out, and in fact, is still burning hours later. And, I noticed, I cannot turn the throttle valve in either direction. (It should at least let me turn it to increase gas flow to the fireplace.)

Anyone know what the problem is? And, is it safe to turn the gas off at the source? I thought I once heard some concern of creating a vacuum (or, can act like a vacuum) allowing the flame to follow the gas upstream as the flow drops.

Tips? Pointers? Let the pilot light burn overnight?

What is your fuel (LP) source? Is it an LP bottle (100lbs, 300lbs) that serves this one unit or is it connected to other appliances?
First off, a pilot light is a convenience to allow one to turn off an appliance and turn it back on without going through the lighting procedure every time.
Are you sure your valve is on the “OFF” position and not the pilot?
As it is, if you cannot shut off your source you need to let the pilot burn.
Something i might try if this was my unit, I would get a wet sponge and being very careful not to ignite sponge, i would cool the thermocouple and see if the flame shuts off with that method.
Also is the control valve staying down as in it has to be depressed to allow for it to turn?? I believe the valve should return back up, if you will when the control is turned off.

I have a 100lb tank connected to the fireplace and nothing else. The problem is the valve inside won’t turn either way (usually once hot, it only turns down to the mid-point marking [described below] until just the pilot is burning, and then the pilot goes out by itself). I couldn’t even get the fire going again, if wanted for the (throttle) valve won’t turn in either direction. Luckily, the fire is out = just the pilot light remains. The valve at the source (back at the tank) is fine, but I hesitate to turn off the gas at the source for I have heard the flame can travel upstream at low flows…is that true???

FYI: The indoor (throttle) valve handle is a knob presently at a mid-position marked only by a vertical line. To the left, is marked 'ON" with a curved arrow [to encourage one to turn to the left to increase gas flow]. Likewise, to the right is marked “OFF” with a curved arrow [to encourage one to turn to the right to decrease gas flow]

There should also be a “Pilot” position. Are you sure you are not in that?
As for danger in shutting off your gas source, where did you hear this?
I know that shutting down an oxy/acct. torch, the acct. should be shut down first.
There are flash back arresters designed for both torch and regulators.
I have seen the results of not having this system assembled properly and 100’ of hose that went off much like det-cord :eek: the guy holding the torch didn’t make a big deal about it but some others that had never been around something like this made a very big deal about it.
I will not say nothing can go wrong with shutting off your supply valve as I have seen many valves not turned off full, leaky,
But I have never heard of a LPG flame flashing back on a system like this.
Edit to add, The hose that exploded in my story did not get consumed, but more of a 100’ bomb. :wink: