Got Skyrim and I'm very disappointed

So I got the game Skyrim and I’m very disappointed:o The open world , realistic graphics ,character and weapons ,skill ,magic and backbone of the game so on is really amazing the best game out there!! But what I’m disappointed is the lack of fighting in the game and combat dumb down to being way to easy and quests too easy and too short.

You spend more time in village and walking around and collecting stuff than fighting or doing quests .

Why is that? What happen to the game? Why did they make the game so good but lack the elements of fighting in the game and good combat and long quests than such short quests .

I found the combat easy as well. The game could have used a difficulty level beyond Master. However, I still found some unexpected difficulty spikes here and there. Dragon priests were sometimes an unwelcome surprise, or bandits that respawned much tougher than they once were.

You don’t have to collect anything if you don’t want to. You don’t have to do any quests, either. Just pick a compass direction and start walking. You’ll find plenty of fights. For extra difficulty, don’t take any followers.

I’m afraid you don’t like video games, then.

Eh, combat is pretty easy. I played the game as a “pure mage”, using only magic (except a dagger enchanted with the soul capturing power I’d use to fill petty gems with) and not wearing any armor (just enchanted clothing items and the defensive spells) and it still wasn’t that much of a challenge. Hearing people talk about how they dominate as a stealth archer or something makes me think it must be REALLY easy then.

The world is fun to kick around in (though exploring the 50th lost crypt with ten viking zombies and a barrel of potatoes at the end gets old) but “challenging”, it ain’t.

The lack of challenge was my main gripe with Skyrim. If you put even the most miniscule amount of thought into leveling then the fights become a joke, even with the difficulty turned up. My sword & shield warrior became an unstoppable killing machine after a little while, now I can equip him with nothing but unimproved unenchanted iron armor and weapons and he’s still unbeatable in physical combat with the difficulty cranked all the way up.

I’ve heard that it’s possible to build characters that remain balanced, but the fact that you have to specifically work to make the game challenging just tells you how broken the whole system is.

You can blame it on all the people who complained about Oblivion scaling difficulty. “Why should bandits be a challenge, I have earned the right to godhood at level 16”

Well, playing on the hardest difficulty would be the first step, although all it really does is turn enemies into bullet-… make that axe-sponges.
Next step is picking an actually difficult skillset - magic is easy-mode, so is stealth+bow or stealth+anything really. Now, heavy armour and two-handers ? That’s a little harsher, particularly when facing anything that shoots or casts spells. Fighting as a werewolf’s pretty tough too, even if you do hit like a truck.

Finally, last stop: mods. Haven’t really dug into that pile myself, but since Skyrim’s difficulty (or lack thereof) is a common gripe among the playerbase I’m sure there are plenty out there. OTOH, you’re SOL if you play on the Xbox…

ETA: This one in particular looks like it might be up your alley/

There’s a Steam Workshop mod that adds a playable Wood Golem. Very susceptible to fire damage.

I also agree that your game experience can be greatly enhanced by mods if you play on the PC. I myself love being able to kill things easily, so the difficulty level didn’t really bother me much. I’m one of those people who play ‘for the story’ and not the challenge. So yeah, I hate games where I die easily lol

I’m with AngelSoft. I get very frustrated with fights after the 3 or so death, but I also never play a fully optimized character. The amount of players min-maxing and powergaming their characters force the designers to sometimes make things tough (especially during the early levels) for people who don’t.

The Oblivion bandits were a problem. By late in the game, the bandits were decked in armor and weapons expensive enough to buy their own castle. It’s a design difficulty with any leveled open world system.

I found stealth tedious and really liked my heavy two hands berserker (he minored in bows), although, yeah, I’m sure stealth archers were easy if you had the patience. Plus there are magic users and magic users. Destruction was supposed to be one of the weaker schools, from what I read, thought it was good myself. A heavy focus on illusions seems like it could lead to some difficulties.

Another way to up the difficulty is to skip crafting, although you may find yourself swapping one grind (gathering components and making items) for another (scavenging items to sell and travelling to shops). Makes the speech perks a little more attractive, I guess.

One of the beauties of Skyrim is that it can entertain a fan of action RPGs like me and a fan of story RPGs like you, right out of the box.

I love, love, love video games, have played them passionately for 30 years, and I just never liked Skyrim. Sorry, Skyrim nuts.

It’s boring. The world is deep and vast and immersive but the game is slow, the controls are irritatingly poor, and it’s a headache-inducing festival of colorless monotony. The whole game is brown and grey. Even the fire effects seem dull and tan.

If Skyrim was my job, and I had to play 8-10 hours a day, I’m sure eventually I could better appreciate its depth and complexity and the richness of its world. But it’s not, and I don’t have 8 hours a day to play. I’ve got other stuff to do, and other games to play when I do have downtime, so the opportunity to play 45 minutes of Skyrim became so unappealing I couldn’t bear to start it again.

The same thing happened with Skyrim that happened with Oblivion and Morrowind before.

I end up playing all the side quests I can find and never touch the main quest. After 100 hours, I’m done. I had a lot of fun, but the game-play has now become boring, and nothing in the world really impresses me anymore (the one exception was towards the end of Skyrim when I found that one cave… wow!).

And so I never actually finish the main storyline. I had to watch the endings of Morrowind and Oblivion on youtube, and I’ll probably do the same with SKyrim.

I’m guessing the same thing will happen with the next elderscrolls game. I’ll fall in love with it for 100 hours, never touch the main story, then drop it and never get close to the ending.

For those 100 hours though, it was a really enjoyable experience though.

Can’t do much for the speed as it were - if you don’t care for the storyline, you don’t care for the storyline. But if you play on the PC mods can significantly alter much about the controls and appearance on the PC version and I’m not talking about crazily, either. So for example on the last:

The “Summer Edition” is a stand-alone new version of the mod which makes the Fall forests, Tundra and Whiterun green and lush (instead of red/brown/yellow).

There is a bazillion of such, including multiple ones just focused on changing the appearance of fire. The nicest thing about it all is that the mod manager makes it remarkably painless to swap them in and out. However I do understand that some may still find it a bit much work to do just to play a game. I imagine you kinda have to like the vanilla version in some fashion to begin with to even bother.

That was kind of me in Fallout 3. I didn’t realize the main storyline was so short, and I blew through it. After that, I didn’t really want to play it any more and explore, because, you know, the game is over.

Well that’s one of the things I really like about Skyrim. There’s not just ONE main quest. There’s two, the conflict between the Stormcloaks and the Imperials, and the whole Dragonborn quest. On top of that, you could almost count the ‘guild’ quests as main quests as well since they take so long. Thieve’s Guild, Assassins, Companions, all three of those have very long quest lines and involve a central plot line.

Plus, if you play through as say, the Imperials on one run, playing through again as a Stormcloak will give you a different experience. Though, I’ve had a hard time choosing the Stormcloak’s side as I like playing as an Argonian or Khajit and it seems kind of against my interests to fight for them. Plus I just think they’re a bunch of racist assholes in general :stuck_out_tongue:

I think if the quests seemed to matter more, I’d have felt more invested. For example, taking my mage character and doing the whole mage guild questline in Skyrim seemed like it would be fulfilling. In reality, it just earned me a room to put my stuff in. No one gives a crap that I’m supposedly the archmage; students still act the same towards me, librarian is like “Pfftt… whatever” and the mage in Winterrun still says “Hey, you should go see the mage’s college someday!” All felt pretty pointless after the fact.

Yeah, I think of the guild quests, only the Thief and Assassin quests really have a more concrete payoff. They’re also the lengthiest and most interesting IMHO. The Mage quest is the most off just because the power-levels don’t line up in my mind ( really? you go from apprentice to ARCHMAGE without a peep from any of the senior mages? ). The Companions is kinda abrupt, but at least can bag you one of my favorite wives ;).

While slightly annoying that was only a minor side effect of the horrible oblivion leveling/scaling system. The main problem was that their leveling system made it possible, in fact entirely too easy, to level while gaining absolutely no combat advantages. That would be fine if it wasn’t for the level scaling making things harder with no regard as to how tough your character actually was. The game was either unplayable if you played a character not based mainly around combat (something that the leveling system allowed) or incredibly easy if you min/maxed. The problem wasn’t the game being too tough or too easy, it was simply broken.

I don’t know if all quests are like this but they way too easy and short !!

All in all I spent about 40 hours playing this game with only 30 minutes of combat so far.

I wish there was more combat in the game.