How Long Can One Take Tylenol Or Advil Safely?

Medical folks: For how many consecutive days may 500mg tylneol OR 400mg advil be taken safely, assuming max daily dose of 1000mg / 800mg for a normal adult not on any sort of conflicting meds nor with any bleeding/stomach disorders?

Your post has been reported.

Medical advice is best suited to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

In the scenario you describe, pretty much forever, unless new medical problems/complications arise. Alcohol intake would be a potential concern.

QtM, and yes IAAMD

Are both equally problematic with alcohol? I was under the impression that Tylenol should never be taken with alcohol but not as much with Advil.

I do not appear to be able to move it.

I thought maximum dose of Tylenol was 4000mg per day, for an adult. I know this, because I took this, daily, for a couple of months.

Regular NSAID use with regular alcohol use certainly increases the risk for GI bleeding.

But if I remember correctly, Tylenol and alcohol can mean liver damage. Even without long term use. Or am I off on that?

I believe they reduced the maximum dosage a few months back for Tylenol. Ah, here it is…3000mg a day now instead of 4000.There had better be no limit, because I take pretty near the new lower maximum every day for my arthritis and lack of knee cartilage and bone spurs and now the lovely new pain in my hip from all the limping. And back before the gastric bypass, I was precribed the maximum dosage for the NSAIDS for several years. My doctor doesn’t seem concerned about how much I’m taking now.

The limit is still 4000mg in the UK. Perhaps our livers are more used to abuse :smiley:

A few years ago, when I was limping through Barcelona with a torn Achilles tendon, I was popping ibuprofen like M&Ms, up to ten grams per day . . . until they stopped having any effect. Once home, I continued taking it, at a more reasonable dosage. Last year I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease, and told to stop taking ibuprofen altogether. I’m not saying there’s any corrolation, but at that dosage I wouldn’t be surprised.

Tylenol and alcohol is a concern too, as stated in my original post.

The Great One seems to have an opinion.

From what I have read it looks like taking Tylenol and alcohol is a lot more damaging than Advil. And that Tylenol in large quantities is very bad all on its own. Am I right in thinking this?

Okay, ¿may we extend the scope of this thread to include a discussion of the dangers and safe limits of long-term usage of ethanol+ibuprofen as well? I use ibuprofen regularly plus a little juice fairly regularly too, so this is useful stuff to know. Cecil, in the above-cited column, concludes with this worrisome tidbit (bold added):

As for “Better to be suffering than dead”, well, Cecil, let us all make our own (preferably well-informed) choices about that.

The impression I got from Cecil and other places is that Advil and aspirin can cause stomach tears and bleeding, especially to those who are prone to ulcers. But the risk is much less than the Tylenol and alcohol which will damage your liver. Just as large doese of Tylenol will on its own. I generally avoid Tylenol altogether.

I’ve seen more people die unintentionally of the complications of NSAIDs like ibuprofen (advil/motrin), naproxen (aleve), indocin, mobic and many others than I have from tylenol (APAP, Panadol, acetaminophen, etc). Mostly due to GI bleeding from chronic use in the elderly, but also due to renal issues. These incidents tend to not make headlines like “OMG, he took tylenol and had a few drinks and died!!” but they are not rare.

Even so, in the scenario outlined by the OP, both meds are pretty damn safe. I think tylenol is a bit safer for chronic use for the typical healthy adult because it doesn’t have the bleeding or renal issues, and the liver issues occur less commonly.

But if you’re an otherwise healthy regular consumer of alcohol the risks for use of both meds do increase some. They’re still quite low, though.

I seem to recall a warning on a bottle of Advil (ibuprofen) that long-term use can increase the risk of stroke and/or heart attack (as this article says, with a three-fold increase in stroke risk; no mention of Tylenol or acetaminophen).

What about the effect on blood clotting from NSAID use even at otherwise safe levels?

I’ve been cautioned against any NSAID use for 10 days or so prior to any colonscopy,and for 2 weeks after most of them (they tend to do a fair bit of carving on me). That may be overcautious… but for most health adults, would 400 mg of ibuprofen or equivalent of other drug be a risk?

I seem to recall having some nassssty bruising around a blood-draw puncture, when I’d been on prescription-dose ibuprofen (2400 mg a day) for several days.