The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Smokers - how do you survive long airplane flights?

Smokers - how do you survive long airplane flights, since smoking isn't allowed in planes?

(I'm not a smoker looking for advice - I'm a curious non-smoker.)
Advertisements  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

I don't smoke anymore, but when I did I survived a trans-Atlantic flight ok (admittedly because I took benadryl and slept for most of it). I made for damn sure that I had a carton of smokes in my carry on, though, and smoked like a motherfucker the minute we landed.

In other news, I flew Aeromexico to Mexico City back in 1996, and you could still smoke on their planes. I did just for the thrill of it (Wow! I'm smoking on a plane!), but frankly it was unsettling (Yipes! I'm setting stuff on FIRE on a plane!).
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM

Nowadays you might be able to take an electric cigarette into the bathroom and puff while you piss. I wouldn't try to smoke one out in the open, since people get weird when they see one. And some (all?) airlines don't allow them anymore. You could probably still get one into your carryon, though.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Chewing tobacco. I also bring empty water bottles to hold spit.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM

There's heaps of nicotine replacement items you can buy. Micro tabs that you suck, lozenges, gum, inhalers etc.

I can do a 5 hour flight without needing anything. Anymore than that, I take the nicorette tabs or lozenges.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM

For the 14 hour flight from Australia to the US I put on a patch, after smoking the much meatier American smokes for a few months I used the trip home to detox a bit but had gum in case I needed it. If I still smoked I would probably use the inhalers as they mimic the action and the dosing is easier to manage. 14 hours in the air frays the nerves enough without withdrawal kicking in.

Last edited by Thylacine; 01-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 AM

I usually put on a nicotine patch and chew some gum. I haven't been on an international flight yet (or flights longer than five hours), so I'm not sure how I would be, but I would think I'd be ok. When we land, and if we have time, I'd slip outside and have a smoke or two in between flights.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Ex smoker here....I could handle flights within the US OK, but do recall buying nicotine gum a time or two for international flights.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Ex smoker (I only gave up at Christmas, that's the first time I've said that!).

I was never a very heavy smoker, maybe 5-15 a day depending what I was up to, but I just sort of mentally turned off my habit.

Smoking is part addiction and part habit I found it was quite often habit that made me light up, at regular points in the day. Because being on a plane was out of my routine, it was easier not to think about it.

Of course, part of the habit was that I had to light up as soon as I got off the flight.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I take lots of Xanax and sleep the whole flight.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Lozenges.

That's going to be me tomorrow. 6.5 hour flight.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM

I've recently given up (though am chain-chewing nicotine gum when I drink), but when I did a couple of transatlantic flights some years ago I took a box of menthol snuff with me. UK customs on the way out took great interest in it and tested it with their electric drugs-nose. And it was a lot of fun in-flight drinking wine and snorting powder off the back of my hand, for the buzz, the sneezing and the furtive alarm in fellow passengers.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
I've recently given up (though am chain-chewing nicotine gum when I drink), but when I did a couple of transatlantic flights some years ago I took a box of menthol snuff with me. UK customs on the way out took great interest in it and tested it with their electric drugs-nose. And it was a lot of fun in-flight drinking wine and snorting powder off the back of my hand, for the buzz, the sneezing and the furtive alarm in fellow passengers.
I must admit, that image made me laugh.

Superhal, I wasn't aware that chewing tobacco was allowed on flights. Though maybe it's so rare they don't actually have a regulation about it?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM

I can go hours without smoking with no problem. If I know I can't smoke, I just don't. When I get off the plane and out the door, I light up immediately however
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM

When I was a 3 pack a day chain smoker I would avoid direct cross country flights. I spent a lot of time in O'Hare waiting for connections. But otherwise I found a little secret for getting through this:

SPOILER:

I didn't smoke. Believe it or not it's possible to go a long time breathing only air.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post

Superhal, I wasn't aware that chewing tobacco was allowed on flights. Though maybe it's so rare they don't actually have a regulation about it?
I'm confused. Is chewing tobacco dangerous to other passengers or something? Why would it need to be regulated?

This thread amuses me, because I just asked my ex-smoker boyfriend this question over the weekend. His answer was that he brought chewing tobacco.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post

In Virginia, every gas station and convenience store carries chewing tobacco.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBloom View Post
I can go hours without smoking with no problem. If I know I can't smoke, I just don't. When I get off the plane and out the door, I light up immediately however
Ditto.
I don't turn into some crazed addict...I know it will be a long flight and get over it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
I'm confused. Is chewing tobacco dangerous to other passengers or something? Why would it need to be?.
My guess is because it is messy, it stains, it can stink and other passengers may make a fuss.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM

What I do, before boarding a long flight or entering a movie theater or nightclub, is smoke 2-3 cigarettes in a row by taking long, deep drags and holding in the smoke, as if I were smoking a joint. The nicotine overdose makes me dizzy and a little sick at first, but it knocks back the cravings for a couple of hours. Adding gum and/or patches also works wonders, though.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM

My mom is a smoker and she has problems getting a nicotine fix without breaking the law or giving secondhand smoke

solutions;
Snus
Ecigarettes
patches
gum/lozenges
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM

I just don't smoke. It's not that big a deal. Of course I've never been on a flight more than 5 hours.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
I'm confused. Is chewing tobacco dangerous to other passengers or something? Why would it need to be regulated?

This thread amuses me, because I just asked my ex-smoker boyfriend this question over the weekend. His answer was that he brought chewing tobacco.
How could it be a problem? (video, sorry about the ad first)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBloom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Ditto.
I don't turn into some crazed addict...I know it will be a long flight and get over it.
Same here. My longest flight was eight and a half hours and I just didn't smoke. It wasn't a big deal for me. I go that long without smoking all the time. It's not as if I wake up in the middle of the night to have a cigarette.

I quit smoking once but started again after a couple of months. The hard part for me wasn't nicotine withdrawal, it was trying to permanently give up a habit I enjoyed.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM

And I'll ask this here rather than start a new thread:

How do smokers deal with a hospital stay without smoking? I'm talking like a few days or longer, not just an overnight stay.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM

This might sound stupid or snarky, but it's absolutely not meant to. If you're somewhere you can't smoke, you don't smoke. You're a patient in a hospital. You can't smoke. Do you throw a fit or something? I guess for me, it's a bit easier because I'm an anti-social smoker. Very few people are aware that I smoke and I rarely smoke a pack a day ("serious" smokers ask me why I even bother" ) As someone mentioned earlier, you sleep for at least six hours, right?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 PM

Most pack a day or more smokers in the hospital get a nicotine patch prescribed to them, changed daily, often without asking for it.

Less than a pack a day, and you've got to ask, and the doctor may or may not put the order in.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 AM

For me the smoking is more of a habit than an addiction... it is an addiction because it does hit after a while... and its not pleasant.

Cross pacific flight, 14 hours, no big deal, really isn't, I've never craved a smoke on a plane. Depressurization maybe?

Get me into the airport though, straight out the door for a smoke and chain smoking until the next flight.

The e-cigs are nice in the airport, give you a hit of nicotine, keeps the body happy, but what really keeps me happy is the mouth, hand, throat burn thing. The nicotine to my conscious brain is secondary. The e-cig helps a bit, its got the hand, the mouth and something that looks like smoke and a tiny bit of a throat hit. Chewing tobacco, besides being F'n nasty, and delivering a huge hit of nicotine doesn't stop the cravings. The gum, plenty of nicotine, but doesn't stop the craving.

Make the damn things illegal (as I'm smoking a cigarette), as a smoker that would be the best thing ever. For the record I started after college and quit for 4 years at one point.

On the chewing tobacco crap, the ones in the pouch, they have the little ones, Bandits, tolerable. The straight up stuff not in a pouch, that takes practice, and I don't have the time and I don't like it. What a mess.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazle Weatherfield View Post
This might sound stupid or snarky, but it's absolutely not meant to. If you're somewhere you can't smoke, you don't smoke. You're a patient in a hospital. You can't smoke. Do you throw a fit or something? I guess for me, it's a bit easier because I'm an anti-social smoker. Very few people are aware that I smoke and I rarely smoke a pack a day ("serious" smokers ask me why I even bother" ) As someone mentioned earlier, you sleep for at least six hours, right?
My neighbor had a stroke last year and was in hospital, then an assisted living home to recuperate, for five weeks. He's a very dedicated smoker and was going nuts without smoking. They prescribed him the patch but he had an allergic reaction to them. Couldn't smoke anywhere on the grounds, so even when he could wheel himself out there was no place to smoke.

After some back and forth, his doctor gave him the OK to use an e-cig on the hospital grounds (but only outside, not inside.)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Most pack a day or more smokers in the hospital get a nicotine patch prescribed to them, changed daily, often without asking for it.

Less than a pack a day, and you've got to ask, and the doctor may or may not put the order in.
I'm thinking that this is a boon to nurses. A patient in the throes of nicotine withdrawal is probably horrific to deal with.

Although I didn't remember it when I posted yesterday, here's something that happened years ago. My mom was in the hospital recovering after multiple bypass surgery. The recovery room had a few other post-op patients in it. While I was visiting my mom, I was half-aware of another woman patient a couple of beds over, tossing and turning and talking to herself. As I walked past her bed to leave, she abruptly sat up and demanded "Have you got a cigarette?!?". I said no, and she angrily snarled something and flung herself over on her other side and pulled the blankets over her head.

Hopefully she got a patch and her nurses got a break!

Last edited by teela brown; 01-25-2013 at 04:38 PM..