The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM

A woman's tattoo bra she got to conceal her mastectomy scars

Interesting!

Asked mod to change "myomectomy" to "mastectomy".

Last edited by astro; 02-01-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Clever of her. And quite the tattoo.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM

Boy, I sure do hate tattoos, especially on women. Now that she's defiled her body like that, she's repulsive. Women should never do anything that's unattractive to me. Also, won't she be sorry when it looks awful in 40 years?

Now that somebody's mentioned the word "tattoo", let's have a 5-page long debate about how tattoos are horrible!

....Just thought I'd get that part over with. Seriously, it's a really neat idea and a great-looking tattoo. I'd feel really pleased if I got a tattoo like that to cover up some large scars.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM

Turpentine, at first I was , but then I read the rest and was . I hope you're the only one who makes those comments, even in jest.

It's beautiful artwork and a handy solution for the woman who underwent the mastectomy. From what I understand of folks who get this, it helps them re-identify as "beautiful" and "feminine" after surgery.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM

It's really well done. I like it, and would probably do something similar if it ever happens to me.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM

I love that piece. I think it's my favorite scar-cover tattoo I've seen.

I like this one, over a scoliosis surgical correction, too.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM

I'm not a tattoo fan, but I think that's cool. It's certainly a tattoo that has much meaning to her, I am sure, not just a fashion fancy.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Mastectomy and immediate reconstruction are routinely done these days. Giuliana Rancic had a double Mastectomy and reconstruction. She's back on E! and doing well.

If the other lady prefers a tat over breasts then thats great too. Whatever helps her get through cancer and forward in life.

Good article on immediate reconstruction.
http://premierplasticsurgeryarts.com...icbreastcancer

Quote:
Breast reconstruction has been in the news lately due to the announcement of E! News star Giuliana Rancic’s breast cancer and double mastectomy. Giuliana opted for an immediate breast reconstruction procedure following her mastectomy. Fans of the E! star are praising her choice to share her experience with the world and bring awareness to breast reconstruction. Chances are many of us aren’t familiar with the procedure.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-01-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Boy, I sure do hate tattoos, especially on women. Now that she's defiled her body like that, she's repulsive. Women should never do anything that's unattractive to me. Also, won't she be sorry when it looks awful in 40 years?

Now that somebody's mentioned the word "tattoo", let's have a 5-page long debate about how tattoos are horrible!

....Just thought I'd get that part over with. Seriously, it's a really neat idea and a great-looking tattoo. I'd feel really pleased if I got a tattoo like that to cover up some large scars.
You think that people who hate tattoos can't tell the difference between a tattoo to cover a double-mastectomy scar and some cheesy college boy with tribal tatts on his biceps? Your scorn is pre-emptive and inaccurate (at least in my case).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM

That's gorgeous. My theory is that sometimes tattoos help us reclaim our bodies after some trauma...not always the case, of course, but it makes sense in my own life and I can't be the only one, I think. Anyway...that's gorgeous. Good for her.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 AM

That is one of the most beautiful and badass tattoos I've ever seen.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Mastectomy and immediate reconstruction are routinely done these days. Giuliana Rancic had a double Mastectomy and reconstruction. She's back on E! and doing well.

If the other lady prefers a tat over breasts then thats great too. Whatever helps her get through cancer and forward in life.

Good article on immediate reconstruction.
http://premierplasticsurgeryarts.com...icbreastcancer
Many women, for many reasons, choose not to have reconstruction. Some don't like the idea that what they look like after mastectomy is something that needs to be 'fixed'. Some feel that no matter how good it is, reconstruction will never give them real breasts back, and prefer their scars over a sub-optimal replacement. This woman has taken what is usually seen as a tragedy, and turned it into a canvas for art...amazing and gutsy.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 AM

It's gorgeous!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post

You silly guy. You really had had me going there for a minute.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Really nice looking tattoo, I particularly like the squirrel. Maybe this is obvious to medical and tatoo experts, but is it likely that it hurt like hell getting done? I know some people with regions of skin near surgical scars that are astonishingly painfully sensitive, even decades later.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_Marmot View Post
Really nice looking tattoo, I particularly like the squirrel. Maybe this is obvious to medical and tatoo experts, but is it likely that it hurt like hell getting done? I know some people with regions of skin near surgical scars that are astonishingly painfully sensitive, even decades later.
It's possible, but it's also possible she's got areas of numbness.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

What Lucretia said. As to the wonderful lady that had this done? I agree that she's a total badass and that tattoo is one if the most beautiful I've ever seen. I wonder who her artist is?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM

One hell of a tattoo - and you gotta admire this woman - she took a horrible situation and just said, "Fuck it!" and owned it! Kudos, lady - big time kudos!

Wonder if she could walk around topless with that tattoo on the beach or wherever....without getting arrested.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I love that piece. I think it's my favorite scar-cover tattoo I've seen.

I like this one, over a scoliosis surgical correction, too.
I rather like this one.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I rather like this one.
That's awesome!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM

That is pretty cool!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

A Google Image search for tattoo over scar gives more examples. But none as pretty as the one in the OP.

Although I like this one, and this one.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

In the above image search is also this image of a man, a survivor of being struck by lightning, with a scar on his back made when the lightning struck him. It looked kind of beautiful, so I clicked on it to see if it was an accident or purposefully made.

It led to this fascinating page on Lichtenberg figures; the shape of lightning. Enjoy!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_Marmot View Post
Sorry have to say this - it's a bunny. Sorry that did not come out right: it's a BUNNNY!!! squeeeeee
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitwoman View Post
Sorry have to say this - it's a bunny. Sorry that did not come out right: it's a BUNNNY!!! squeeeeee

Are we talking about the one in the OP? If it's a bunny, it's one of those short round ear bunnies with long fluffy tails.