The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Question about Adam-12 and Emergency

Yeah. I know. I watch stupid TV. I have a TV law enforcement question that comes from me watching Adam-12 and Emergency (I LOVE Antenna TV and the Me Too networks!) Considering that I'm someone that bases their American History knowledge on episodes of Bonanza, please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

On Adam-12, they have KMA367 (it's a sticker) on their radio in their car - what does that mean? I assume it's similar to when on the show Emergency, when they're called out, the Captain says to dispatch "KMG365."

Can anyone tell me what those call letters mean?
Advertisements  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

KMA367 was the FCC designation for LAPD dispatch from the mid-40s until the mid-80s. KMG365 is a base station assigned to LA County Fire.

Last edited by silenus; 02-18-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Side note: The Master speaks.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM

I used to love Adam-12.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I used to love Adam-12.
Then what happened?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Emergency was a rip off of Rescue 8 (which was before people were flesh toned).
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
Then what happened?
It went away. Like so many things I've cared about.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM

silenus THANK YOU! Is there anything you do not know? You are my hero!

Ethilrist, thanks for the link - I can't believe the Master even TOUCHED upon a subject I am interested in - I feel so - well - validated!!

johnpost, what is this Rescue 8 you speak of? I am intrigued! When was it on? I will begin to look for it!

Next up - Missy2U will probably have some dumbass Dragnet Questions! I know you're all looking forward to it!

Actually, what's sad is, I really DO have a Dragnet question. But I'll save it for tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I remember Rescue 8 from its reruns in the late 50s and early 60s. Our local TV station, channel 8, aired it; I liked that the numbers matched. It was similar to Emergency -- following an ambulance around LA as they saved lives.

Channel 8 also showed The Buccaneers and Whirlybirds in syndication. All were half-hour dramatic shows.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Bring on the Dragnet questions!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post

johnpost, what is this Rescue 8 you speak of? I am intrigued! When was it on? I will begin to look for it!
it was a LA county rescue squad show that ran 1958 to 1960. it was before paramedics so the two guys did rescues of people in lifethreatening situations.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRobyn View Post
Just as long as you're interested in the facts.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Dragnet? Here watch this. http://youtu.be/cjquGpmgwOo
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
it was a LA county rescue squad show that ran 1958 to 1960. it was before paramedics so the two guys did rescues of people in lifethreatening situations.
I was a big fan of Emergency! when I was a kid. A few years ago, I picked up the first season of the show on DVD. The pilot for the series was a crossover with Adam-12 (both shows were produced by Jack Webb), and the main plotline of the pilot was the creation of the paramedic group within the LA County fire department.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Go Tribe!

We watch Emergency! every day.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Someone needs to set this thread up with an IV with d5w and transport to Rampart IMMEDIATELY!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
Someone needs to set this thread up with an IV with d5w and transport to Rampart IMMEDIATELY!
And don't forget the Ringers lactate!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I haven't seen that in years, thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM

I remember as a kid watching the show. I would get excited when the call out tone was really long because I knew it would be a good one.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Robert Fuller from "Emergency!" was a frequent guest on "Hollywood Squares." He could give some of the most convincing bluff answers.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
We;;. we are devoted, here at the SDMB, to seeking out just the facts, ma'am.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phungi View Post
Wasn't that an IV of WD-40?
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 02-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Wasn't that an IV of WD-40?
My mother had a coronary episode a few years ago (turned out to not be a heart attack, but it led to a paramedic call and an emergency-room visit). When the paramedics gave her an IV with d5w, she said to herself, "say, I remember that, from that TV show with the paramedics that Mikey used to watch..."
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Just as long as you're interested in the facts.
Okay, here's a few facts: Jack Webb (star and producer of Dragnet, and later of Emergency!) was the ex-husband of singer-actress Julie London. When she was playing Nurse Dixie McCall, on Emergency!, she was married to Bobby Troup, who played Dr. Joe Early on the same show.

Bobby Troup is famous as the songwriter who gave the world Route 66, which was also the name of a TV show featuring Martin Milner, who went on to play the role of officer Pete Malloy on Adam-12.

Jack Webb probably had some short-term memory problems that motivated him to have everything in his life as interrelated as he could make it.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 02-19-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Okay, here's a few facts: Jack Webb (star and producer of Dragnet, and later of Emergency!) was the ex-husband of singer-actress Julie London. When she was playing Nurse Dixie McCall, on Emergency!, she was married to Bobby Troup, who played Dr. Joe Early on the same show.

Bobby Troup is famous as the songwriter who gave the world Route 66, which was also the name of a TV show featuring Martin Milner, who went on to play the role of officer Pete Malloy on Adam-12.

Jack Webb probably had some short-term memory problems that motivated him to have everything in his life as interrelated as he could make it.
I'd actually known most of this, but when you lay it out like this, it's pretty damned funny. Jack Webb: One Degree of Separation.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM

One more fact:

In one episode a call came in while the Station 51 gang were watching Adam-12 on TV. John spent the rest of the (Emergency!) episode obsessing about missing the end of the (Adam-12) episode. This thread stood out because I just watched that (Emergency!) episode on Netflix.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
One more fact:

In one episode a call came in while the Station 51 gang were watching Adam-12 on TV. John spent the rest of the (Emergency!) episode obsessing about missing the end of the (Adam-12) episode. This thread stood out because I just watched that (Emergency!) episode on Netflix.
The Dragnet episode where Joe and Bill were working in IAD and investigated an officer brutality complaint, they interviewed Pete and Jim - they were the backup unit for the officer that had the complaint filed against him.

I've also seen Pete and Jim at Rampart in an episode of Adam-12 talking to Dr. Brackett.

Missy needs a life, doens't she?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Channel 8 also showed The Buccaneers and Whirlybirds in syndication. All were half-hour dramatic shows.
Another giant Whirlybirds here. Chuck and PT. Back then they had shows about real jobs. Truck drivers, skin divers, that kind of stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Anyone remember that they also made a Saturday morning kid's cartoon version of Emergency!? It was typical 70s Hanna-Barbera crap-a-mation, but it had the main two actors doing the voices. They also actually appeared in short live-action filmed segments at the beginning & end giving safety tips.

Awhile back I was watching an episode of Law & Order:SVU and there was an actor playing a perp who seemed very familiar but I couldn't place him. When I played the beginning back (that's where the guest star credits are) I suddenly recognized it was Gage and/or DeSoto (the blond, DeSoto I think) from Emergency! He was pretty good as a creepy perv!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
Awhile back I was watching an episode of Law & Order:SVU and there was an actor playing a perp who seemed very familiar but I couldn't place him. When I played the beginning back (that's where the guest star credits are) I suddenly recognized it was Gage and/or DeSoto (the blond, DeSoto I think) from Emergency! He was pretty good as a creepy perv!
Yep - it was DeSoto.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM

TV's Johnny Gage was my first crush when I was but a small t-shirt. I remember eating my fingernails off when the character was bitten by a rattlesnake and had to be rushed to the Emergency! room.

I was such a little dork.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungian Camisole View Post
TV's Johnny Gage was my first crush when I was but a small t-shirt. I remember eating my fingernails off when the character was bitten by a rattlesnake and had to be rushed to the Emergency! room.

I was such a little dork.
You weren't the only one.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I may have asked this one before, but here goes anyway.

On Emergency!, the Squad 51 guys would go rolling out on a medical call. Usually, there was a police officer already on the scene. Our boys would call in to Rampart and get instructions to treat the patient/victim. Finally, they would load the person onto a separate ambulance. That is my question: why didn't the paramedics arrive on the scene in an ambulance and transport their patient themselves? Running two vehicles and four guys out seems like a waste of money. Do they still do that in California or Los Angeles County?

Also, watching as an adult, I have noticed that members of the public on both Adam-12 and Emergency! tended to be quite rude to our heroes. Did Webb have utter contempt for ordinary citizens? The cops or the firefighters were arriving to help these people. (I know, sometimes a person might not be thrilled to see the cops roll up...) Generally, when firefighters or paramedics arrive, I am as helpful as possible so they can put the fire out or resuscitate my loved-one. Why were the civilians in Webb's series so ugly?

(I loved Adam-12 and Emergency! as a kid. I never was much of a fan of Dragnet, though.)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Yep - it was DeSoto.
It threw me for years when Kevin Tighe started doing villain parts. But he's GOOD at it. I spotted him in an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent, did he do an SVU, also?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
I may have asked this one before, but here goes anyway.

On Emergency!, the Squad 51 guys would go rolling out on a medical call. Usually, there was a police officer already on the scene. Our boys would call in to Rampart and get instructions to treat the patient/victim. Finally, they would load the person onto a separate ambulance. That is my question: why didn't the paramedics arrive on the scene in an ambulance and transport their patient themselves? Running two vehicles and four guys out seems like a waste of money. Do they still do that in California or Los Angeles County?
Ambulance companies are private. Paramedics, at least on the show, are fire department personnel. Different responsibilities, different employers. The Emergency! crew are first-responders. The ambulance people are basically transport.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 AM

Even today, if you get shot or otherwise maimed in the South Bay area, you might get to visit Rampart General yourself. It's nowhere near the actual Rampart area though.

Did they ever clear up why Friday was a lieutenant at the end of the original Dragnet, and then demoted to sergeant in the revival?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Running two vehicles and four guys out seems like a waste of money. Do they still do that in California or Los Angeles County?
Yes, according to this campaign site:

Quote:
Currently, ESFD has 2 paramedic ambulances. ESFD can transport without reliance on any outside service.
Los Angeles County Fire does not own or operate ambulances and only uses "rescue squads" (pickup trucks).
LA County relies on private ambulance services to do their transports.
IIRC they traveled to visit another fire department that had ambulances (Seattle?) in one of the end-of-series TV movies.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 02-20-2013 at 01:14 AM..
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

In my town, when you call 911 for a medical emergency, you will usually get a hook-and-ladder truck first, and an ambulance later.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Did Webb have utter contempt for ordinary citizens?
It's difficult to see it any other way.

The radio & early TV incarnation of Dragnet was a great idea: combine the Noir-sh crime drama of the era with elements of the scientific and organizational innovations used by the LAPD. Like most American police forces, the LAPD had been corrupt, inefficient and brutal. Under Chief Parker, whose cheerleader Webb aspired to be, they would labor mightily to shed two of those three.

In the radio and B&W show, the general public was portrayed as decent people who just wanted to get on with their lives, but were victimized by really bad bastards. But when the show was revived in the late 1960's, Web had cultural axes to grind, and seems to have become such a wanna-be cop that he internalized their worst attitudes.

There was a show where the Black community were angry at the cops, but were clearly worked up about nothing. Then there was the show where a cop roughed up a suspect, and Friday came down on him like a ton of bricks. But of course the suspect was pure evil and we still sided with the cop while acknowledging Friday's higher ideals. And on almost every show, the general public were shown to be idiots because they thought themselves equal to the cops since they'd read true detective magazines. Or they thought the cops were bellhops they were entitled to call any time their lives were fucked up.

Dragnet took place in an alternate LAPD universe that lacked Dragnet, where people had no means of understanding how great their cops really were.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach
I remember as a kid watching the show. I would get excited when the call out tone was really long because I knew it would be a good one.
Oh yeah...
Birrrr barrrrr boooorr barrrrr bewwwww barrrr boooo barrr braaaackk! probably meant you were going to see the jaws of life, multiple IVs of D5W and Ringers, maybe even some early defibrillation and general mayhem.

Birrr barrr braakk Eh, probably just a cat in a tree.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a classic clip.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
That's a classic clip.

Regards,
Shodan
Clever comment.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove View Post
. . . There was a show where the Black community were angry at the cops, but were clearly worked up about nothing. . . . .
OJ Simpson was in that one. He had one line (referring to the tests cops had to take) "Are the tests hard?"
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM

I never watched Adam 12 much but Emergency (or Emergency 1) was my favorite show when I was in kindergarten through 2nd grade. And like Loach, I loved to hear the big multiple tones that meant big fire and huge rescue.

Some of the stories I vaguely remember are when a girl gets her toe stuck in the faucet while in the bathtub and Roy and Johnny are embarrassed when they see she's not a little girl, but a good looking young lady, someone pulling up to the station with their camper on fire, the hospital operating on injured animals after a barn fire, some kind of hellacious accident with the ambulance and the paramedics loading the injured onto the back of the firetruck, and when the young black doctor went after the dirty hippies because he thought the were on bad drugs, but it turned out to be spider bites.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
When I was little I was playing nurse with my dolls and gave an order for ringers lactate. My mother almost fell over laughing.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Some of the stories I vaguely remember are when a girl gets her toe stuck in the faucet while in the bathtub and Roy and Johnny are embarrassed when they see she's not a little girl, but a good looking young lady,
That was Laura Petrie in The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

TKO!

Every Single Time!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
That was Laura Petrie in The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Oh, it also happened on "Emergency"!

And remember the lady stuck in the girdle? Her chief complaint was "trouble breathing."

~VOW
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM

When there was a heart attack patient, he got "mumble mumble" milligrams of MS!

~VOW
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GythaOgg View Post
It threw me for years when Kevin Tighe started doing villain parts. But he's GOOD at it. I spotted him in an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent, did he do an SVU, also?
Yes, he was a creepy perv they thought had kidnapped a teenager and was keeping her in a secret cabin, but it turned out that a teenager he had kidnapped years ago was living in the cabin, waiting for his return, and when he did, she was all like, "I love you! I love you!" and he was all like, "Ewwww. You're old."

Kevin Tighe has a great role as the villain in the John Sayles' movie Maetwan.

For some reason, the theme song for Emergency! is indelibly ingrained in my memory.

Last edited by freckafree; 02-20-2013 at 12:49 PM..