The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM

How strong was Andre the Giant?

Does anyone know how strong Andre the giant was in his prime? I have heard he flipped a car and such things. But what was his deadlift and squat? Does anyone have these numbers? For that matter, is is true he flipped a car over? Or is that an embellishment?

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM

No lifting records I know. He was fit enough to lift a 200-pound man, or brace himself against a wall with 4 women sitting on his shoulders, but that's all. http://www.allwrestlingsuperstars.co...-the-giant.jpg
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

I'd never heard that he flipped a car over, only that he'd once changed a tire without using a jack. And even that was on a Beetle, a very lightweight car.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_diego View Post
No lifting records I know. He was fit enough to lift a 200-pound man, or brace himself against a wall with 4 women sitting on his shoulders, but that's all. http://www.allwrestlingsuperstars.co...-the-giant.jpg
That's good enough for me!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 AM

There was a Soviet weightlifter in the 70s or 80s who was famous for lifting a car, IIRC (I think I read it in Reader's Digest). Could the OP be conflating Andre the Giant with another famous strongman?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

It's definitely attributed to Andre. Here is one version of the story that I found online:

Quote:
During another incident which has been verified by witnesses, four bar patrons showed an incredible lapse in judgement when they decided to try to pick a fight with Andre’. At some point the big man decided he had enough, and the men ended up fleeing the bar on foot and locked themselves in their car in preparation to make a getaway. Andre’, enraged, flipped the car over with the four men in it. Andre’ then left the four inebriated fellows there to explain to the incredulous responding Police Officers how they were “chased out of the bar by an angry giant who turned their car over.”
The story is repeated in various forms all over the net. Details vary depending on which version you read, so it smells a lot like a UL to me.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
The story is repeated in various forms all over the net. Details vary depending on which version you read, so it smells a lot like a UL to me.
Depends on how you read it. If you can get the car rocking on its suspension, a good heave will get it up and on its side, but it takes a minute to get the springs helping. It typically takes a couple of guys in decent shape, but you could make allowances for someone his size depending on the car; I'd expect it to be old, small, and light like a CVCC or original Mini.

Him just walking out and shoving a car over - not so much.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 AM

There was an extensive story on Andre in "Sports Illustrated" in 1981. Although it's mainly a profile of his personality, it does mention how he liked to pick up and move small cars that his friends owned as a practical joke. Four time U. S. powerlifting champion Ken Patera talks about how the Giant would lift a 250 pound man an easily as you would pick up an overcoat. Patera felt that Andre would take a couple years off to train and "visit his friendly neighborhood pharmacist" for some steroids, the records
for squat and dead lifting would be his. Patera, who was 6'1" and weighed 320 pounds, felt Andre could easily add 200 pounds to his 7'4" 500 pound frame and not look fat.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...02/3/index.htm
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 AM

There is no way to know. Much of Andre's life is shrouded in secrecy and the veil of professional wrestling hype. He was a huge man. He suffered from acromegaly, a condition where his pituitary gland produced unusual amounts of growth hormone throughout his life. Due to curvature of the spine he never actually stood more than about 7 feet tall, but it is estimated that if he could straighten his spine he would have been at least 7 feet 4 inches tall. Whether or not he actually picked up a car is open to debate. He clearly had the strength to lift very large men up in the air with ease, and could easily have turned over a small car. But he was also somewhat fragile as a result of his physical condition. In one instance he broke his leg near the ankle. This was hyped as a wrestling injury, but it actually happened while getting out of bed. Surgeons reinforced the broken bone with the largest surgical pins made, designed for broken femurs. Throughout the last years of his life he was in constant pain as a result of a body growing too large for it's own constraints. And he used alcohol throughout his life to dull both the physical pain, and the psychological pain of being viewed as a freak of nature.

There's no way to determine how strong he was however. He didn't regularly engage in weightlifting or other feats of strength to make such a determination, and outside of the companionship of his fellow wrestlers he didn't like such displays. He enjoyed his popularity as a wrestler and actor and outside of that didn't care to be treated as an oddity.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Depends on how you read it. If you can get the car rocking on its suspension, a good heave will get it up and on its side, but it takes a minute to get the springs helping. It typically takes a couple of guys in decent shape, but you could make allowances for someone his size depending on the car; I'd expect it to be old, small, and light like a CVCC or original Mini.

So it would have been easier if Andre the Giant had a posse.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM

My favorite, possibly apocryphal, story is the one about how he used to get a ride to school from Samuel Beckett. That's just such an odd pairing that it's amusing to think it could be true.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM

It depends -- have you made it clear that his JOB is on the line?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 AM

He couldn't have been that strong cuz I've seen one midget work him over...while the other midget distracted the ref
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
My favorite, possibly apocryphal, story is the one about how he used to get a ride to school from Samuel Beckett. That's just such an odd pairing that it's amusing to think it could be true.
Per NPR's "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me," the source of that tale is Cary Elwes, supposedly retelling what Andre told him:
Quote:
SAGAL: I should say, before people get upset, that the sole source for this story, which is widespread on the Internet, is the actor Cary Elwes, who in the DVD for "The Princess Bride," tells this story. He says, oh yeah, and Andre told me when he was a kid, Samuel Beckett used to drive him to school. I wonder what those conversations were like, said Cary Elwes. Unconfirmed otherwise, but we don't want to live in a world in which Samuel Beckett did not drive Andre the Giant to school.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM

I remember it being a big deal the first time Hulk Hogan body slammed him.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM

I once saw a video of him pulling a Montreal city bus on level ground by a chain.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post

I'm sure he could do it if he had a holocaust cloak.

I once saw him walking into Zingerman's in Ann Arbor as I was walking out. I was sooo tempted to go back in just to see what he ordered, but figured he always had people staring at him, so I let the giant be.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM
IMHOtep the Justifed

It's no more an indication of strength than any other story, but I've heard that he once carried Arnold Schwartzenegger through a restaurant, tucked under his arm.

Supposedly if he went to dinner with anyone, he refused to let them pay because his portion of the check was so enormous. Arnie tried to sneak off and pay in advance, and Andre found him, carried him back to the table, sat him down and said, "I pay."

UL/HL? Possibly. But a great story.

I saw Richard Kiel a few years ago, signing autographs at the California State Fair. He looked to be in terrible condition - bent, using a cane, with people assisting him, and (I assume) old age and his glandular condition having ravaged his face. Can't help but feel sorry for these people who have spent their lives being stared at, and have to keep putting themselves on display to make a living.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
It's no more an indication of strength than any other story, but I've heard that he once carried Arnold Schwartzenegger through a restaurant, tucked under his arm.

Supposedly if he went to dinner with anyone, he refused to let them pay because his portion of the check was so enormous. Arnie tried to sneak off and pay in advance, and Andre found him, carried him back to the table, sat him down and said, "I pay."

UL/HL? Possibly. But a great story.
I heard Arnold tell that story on Bill Simmon's podcast,so I believe it to be true. Andre had a pituitary disorder and that can lead to not just great height be thick bones and great strength. All of the other wrestlers were in awe of his great strength. His practice of moving people's cars around as jokes is one indication. There are stories of him literally picking up and throwing Black Jack Mulligan who was about 6"6' and 350lbs.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Just pointing out username/OP combination awesomeness
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. I ran across a picture of him online, and got thinking about it last night.

It would have been epic if he had been into powerlifting or Olympic lifting in his prime.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM

I met him when I was a kid, really nice guy. If you think he looked big on camera, imagine seeing him in person when you were 8. A friend of my dad's was a pro wrestler who traveled with Andre on the wrestling circuit. He said they had to take the back seat out of the car so he could fit, and in the hour or so it took to drive to the next town he could drink an entire case of beer.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Just pointing out username/OP combination awesomeness
I was going to post it with references to the movie, but I was so damn tired last night that I just cut to the chase.

And he had to be pretty strong to climb that rope caring 3 people.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM

"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise!"
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Anybody want a peanut?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM

I do like the story from The Princess Bride.

Andre's accent was so thick that he couldn't get out the lines. Mandy Patankin, in character as Inigo Montoya, lept up, slapped Andre hard across the face, called him Fezzik and told him to speak clearly. For a second Andre looked like he was going to kill Mandy and everyone held their breath.

After that, he spoke his lines clearly.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I rode with him on a plane from Japan to Hawaii in the early '80s. Talked with him a bit but mainly we drank beer and napped. Wish I had had a camera phone back then.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Heh.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
If Andre the Giant had a posse he would then be Andrea the Giant.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
He's on the brute squad.

3... 2... 1...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I once saw a video of him pulling a Montreal city bus on level ground by a chain.
You're sure you're not confusing him with the Great Antonio ?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Different kind of folk in GQ I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
He's on the brute squad.

3... 2... 1...
He IS the Brute Squad.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Hari Seldon:

Utterly unimpressive-- Anyone can do that, given the opportunity.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I wish André the Giant and Wallace Shawn could have gotten together to film My Dinner With André The Giant.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific420 View Post
He couldn't have been that strong cuz I've seen one midget work him over...while the other midget distracted the ref
Look, that midgets got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer! He'll do you up a treat mate!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
I heard Arnold tell that story on Bill Simmon's podcast,so I believe it to be true. Andre had a pituitary disorder and that can lead to not just great height be thick bones and great strength. All of the other wrestlers were in awe of his great strength. His practice of moving people's cars around as jokes is one indication. There are stories of him literally picking up and throwing Black Jack Mulligan who was about 6"6' and 350lbs.
Curiously enough I was watching a recently cartoonized accompaniment to that interview just a few hours ago. I subscribe to Arnold's Twitter page and he posted a link to it today. Pretty amusing. Some interesting info on Wilt Chamberlain too. Here's it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPd4...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM

By the time of The Princess Bride, the answer is "not very". Like many people with acromegaly, he suffered from severe bone, nerve and joint pain, and just after Princess Bride had very invasive back surgery to attempt to correct what's described as an abnormally narrow opening that the spinal cord runs through (spinal stenosis, perhaps? I can't find a diagnosis, but that's what it sounds like). Cary Elwes was quite concerned about hurting him during their fight scene, and some camera tricks were used to make it look like he was bearing Elwes' weight on his back when he wasn't. While he could probably still pull weight, using his own impressive bodyweight as a counter weight, he couldn't lift much anymore.

Citation, citation...uh, the commentary on one of the DVDs maybe? I wrote a paper on it in school once, but that was a couple of hard drives ago.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Not knowing anything about him, other than he was extremely tall and extremely large, I'd wager a guess that his deadlift max would be hella impressive while is squat-while obviously impressive just by the raw numbers-would be much more human-like. Tall lifters tend to hold a bit of advantage with lifts such as the deadlift, while shorter, thicker lifters do better with lifts like the squat.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM

Unbelievable that several people here have actually ran into the guy, talked and met him on different occassions.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Beer!-he used to drink at a bar outside joppatowne MD after a show in Balto. the civic center. I think at midway liquors or inn one time he passed out after ?cases of beer and several fifths of liquor and no one could move him so they covered him up and let him sleep till later that day. He and the other wrestlers were always nice, fun and nutty to hang with. I hung out a couple times as i lived in joppa.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
4 out of 5 Jesuses agree!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Anybody want a peanut?
Stop the references, I mean it!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Unbelievable that several people here have actually ran into the guy, talked and met him on different occassions.
Well, he did spend much of his life on the road, eating and drinking in bars and restaurants.

Andre, incidentally, is said to hold the world record for the greatest number of beers drank in one sitting. I won't mention the number, since I'm not quite sure weather to believe it, but it's a lot.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Duke of Bilgewater
Charter Member

One of the most poignant moments in the documentaries on the special edition TPB DVD was Robin Wright talking about how, when it was cold on the set (which was apparently most of the time), Andre would put his hand on her head to help her keep warm. And his hand would much more than cover her head.

She lost her composure a bit describing it, and I must confess to getting a little catch in my throat as well listening to it.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
By the time of The Princess Bride, the answer is "not very". Like many people with acromegaly, he suffered from severe bone, nerve and joint pain, and just after Princess Bride had very invasive back surgery to attempt to correct what's described as an abnormally narrow opening that the spinal cord runs through (spinal stenosis, perhaps? I can't find a diagnosis, but that's what it sounds like). Cary Elwes was quite concerned about hurting him during their fight scene, and some camera tricks were used to make it look like he was bearing Elwes' weight on his back when he wasn't. While he could probably still pull weight, using his own impressive bodyweight as a counter weight, he couldn't lift much anymore.

Citation, citation...uh, the commentary on one of the DVDs maybe? I wrote a paper on it in school once, but that was a couple of hard drives ago.
Citation: I'll corroborate this, what WhyNot says, based on a TV show about his life. I think it was an episode of Biography. It was a good insight into the life of this man.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post

Your description is accurate. With a rope tied around his waist he could have towed a Space Shuttle, but his back was in terrible shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post
Well, he did spend much of his life on the road, eating and drinking in bars and restaurants.

Andre, incidentally, is said to hold the world record for the greatest number of beers drank in one sitting. I won't mention the number, since I'm not quite sure weather to believe it, but it's a lot.
Andre used to drink a case of beer the way an ordinary guy drank a single beer after work. When he had his leg operating on the anesthetists had no way to guage how much anasthetic to use except to estimate based on his drinking capacity.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Flagon View Post

That would have been 200 iirc on a flight back from Japan.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Just wanted to point out how apropos the OP'er's handle was.