The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Who's the biggest jerk on Big Bang Theory?

To be clear, I love this show. But all the characters (even Bernadette) have been jerks sometimes. That's ok - that's like real life, and has made for some very funny episodes. (Additionally most of the characters have done nice things & have aspects to their characters too). But who is the worst? I think Raj is. He is misogynistic & shallow, even when he wants people to feel sorry for him because he is lonely. So I vote for Raj in my poll here.

[on a related note, I was served at two different restaurants last week by guys who sounded just like Kripke. seriously]

Last edited by well he's back; 02-28-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Yeah Raj has turned into a bit of a douche, but I think lately Sheldon has swung the pendulum from "Asperger's-like cluelessness" to "on purpose jerkishness."
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Leonard. The answer is and always will be Leonard. Total douche.

This is assuming we aren't counting guest stars. Then it would be Early Evil Wil Wheaton.

Last edited by silenus; 02-28-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM

I'm not an expert on the show, but of the episodes I've seen, Sheldon was easily the biggest asshole.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Kripke & Sheldon. Everyone else at least tries.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Bah. Whiny, clingy and with an annoying inferiority complex mixed with an unfortunate tendency towards nerdy pedantry to cover it. So a little douchey. But at the end of the day he tries to be a nice guy.

Sheldon is borderline autistic. He sort of can't help being a neurotic asshole, but he usually tries to observe proper social convention. By far the most outwardly annoying, but his jerkishness is mostly not conscious. Mostly - his egotism can't be entirely hand-waved away.

Early Howard might win, but he has improved his character a tad. Bernadette just doesn't take any shit. Penny is not the nicest person, but also not the meanest. Amy is also good-hearted for the most part.

Raj wins easily. It's camouflaged by his neurotic shyness, but lower his inhibitions and he is usually an asshole.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM

Howard's mom?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Howard's mom?
Seconded.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Sheldon is, by far, the biggest jerk.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I'm not an expert on the show, but of the episodes I've seen, Sheldon was easily the biggest asshole.
This gets my vote, too, fueled by his massive superiority complex. His ignorance of social conventions isn't excusable, since they're all easily observable. He's just far too self-absorbed to think they apply to him in the first place. Easily the most consistently inconsiderate of the episodes I've seen.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Drunk Sheldon

Or Evil Wil Wheaton.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 02-28-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 02:45 PM

Levar Burton
Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Sheldon. The others at least try to be good friends to each other. Sheldon doesn't give a fuck about anyone but Sheldon.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Among the main cast it's definatly Raj. If we include all the recurring characters it's Dr Beverly Hofstadter. Except "jerk" needs to be spelled with a T. And an N. And a U. And I think you can all guess what the next letter will be.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Among the main cast it's definatly Raj. If we include all the recurring characters it's Dr Beverly Hofstadter. Except "jerk" needs to be spelled with a T. And an N. And a U. And I think you can all guess what the next letter will be.
Raj has major flaws, but I can't see how he approaches the depths of entitlement, condescension, and general douche-baggery of Sheldon. If nothing else, teh fact that Sheldon doesn't acknowledge that the fact that he relies on his friends for rides everywhere means that he has to be subject to their schedules makes him hugely unlikeable. I only laugh AT that jackass, not with him.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
S?

wooosh
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Seconding Leonard's Mom as biggest jerk. Of the usual crew I'd have to say Pre-Bernadette Howard, followed by Raj.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
. . . Raj wins easily. It's camouflaged by his neurotic shyness, but lower his inhibitions and he is usually an asshole.
But isn't it our inhibitions that keep us from being assholes? I'm not sure I can write him off totally if he's only an asshole when drunk. Now if he knows he's an asshole when drunk and then deliberately decides to go along with that because it beats not being able to talk to women, then he's being an asshole.

The question is, does he know that he'll be an asshole when he drinks? Or does he just percieve it as being a bit to blunt (which fits in with the way the guys treat each other)? I haven't seen enough recent episodes to know if he's been doing that.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Are you just saying this to provoke a reaction, because I cannot imagine how one could even begin to justify it in terms of how the characters are portrayed in the show. I can understand how someone might find Leonard's character annoying (although I don't really see how one could find him seriously annoying without thoroughly disliking the show as a whole, which is another matter), but a douche or jerk? No way. Leonard is consistently portrayed as a good guy: not perfect, but fundamentally and thoroughly decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver View Post
Kripke & Sheldon. Everyone else at least tries.
Yes, this. But, of course, Sheldon is totally oblivious to his effect on others, and to other people's feelings and interests. Kripke, by contrast, seems to revel in being a jerk. (But, of course, he is a very minor, occasional character.)

I think Raj's occasional outbursts of douchiness stand out (and are comical) because they contrast so strongly with his usual insecure sweetness. I don't think it is fair to conclude that they represent the "real" Raj. My prediction is that by the end of the series Raj will be largely "cured" of his neuroses, and will turn out a reasonably decent and normal guy (and, very possibly, will turn out to be gay, though I hope not).

By contrast, Sheldon and Kripke behave like jerks pretty much all the time, and Howard is a creep pretty much all the time. They are not going to be cured. Although his relationship with Bernadette has turned down the volume on Howard's creepiness quite a bit, it has by no means gone away.

Last edited by njtt; 02-28-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 03:36 PM

I don't watch the show and only see bits of it here and there.
But to me it kind of looks like the blonde girl is the biggest jerk for reminding the guys they are weirdies for being smart and liking the things they like.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM

That's a 2-way street. They (mostly Sheldon, but sometimes Leonard) give her a hard time for being a college drop-out.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM

How can it not be Sheldon? Sheldon is a very funny character to watch but an awful friend if he were real.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
But isn't it our inhibitions that keep us from being assholes? I'm not sure I can write him off totally if he's only an asshole when drunk. Now if he knows he's an asshole when drunk and then deliberately decides to go along with that because it beats not being able to talk to women, then he's being an asshole.

The question is, does he know that he'll be an asshole when he drinks? Or does he just percieve it as being a bit to blunt (which fits in with the way the guys treat each other)? I haven't seen enough recent episodes to know if he's been doing that.
Didn't Leonard say something to Penny one time to the effect of: "He's an asshole when he's not drunk too, you just don't see it."
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Sheldon.

Or the woman who snuck out of the coffee shop after telling Raj she was going to use the restroom. "I'm broken" Listen lady, we are all sorta broken. Hoping she goes away quickly.

Leonard has some annoying manerisms though. He always wears a jacket, always is fiddling with his hands and seems to only bang really good looking women.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Biggest jerk on that show? Whoever's in charge of the laugh track.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
Are you just saying this to provoke a reaction, because I cannot imagine how one could even begin to justify it in terms of how the characters are portrayed in the show. I can understand how someone might find Leonard's character annoying (although I don't really see how one could find him seriously annoying without thoroughly disliking the show as a whole, which is another matter), but a douche or jerk? No way. Leonard is consistently portrayed as a good guy: not perfect, but fundamentally and thoroughly decent.
Bat pucky. Watch him any time he thinks he has power in a relationship. He treats women like shit. The reason you think he is fundamentally decent is that he is usually scared the woman will dump him and behaves, sorta. If he ever gets married to Penny he'll turn into a wife abuser in a week. Bet on it.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Bat pucky. Watch him any time he thinks he has power in a relationship. He treats women like shit. The reason you think he is fundamentally decent is that he is usually scared the woman will dump him and behaves, sorta. If he ever gets married to Penny he'll turn into a wife abuser in a week. Bet on it.
Are you posting from some strange alternate universe in which Penny could not kick Leonard's ass?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I didn't say he'd live through the event, just that he'd be that kind of person.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Of the main cast, for me, it's Raj. Leonard is a whiny little dork, but has never struck me as having ill will. Sheldon, too. He's clueless, but not actively an asshole--he just doesn't know any better. Raj gives me the sense that he can be, and is sometimes, a purposeful asshole. I get a bit of that from Howard, too.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-28-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Of the core group, it's Sheldon. Expanded to multiple appearances? Leslie Winkle, hands down.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

Raj wins it.
Which makes the Stewart / Raj relationship extra weird since Stewart is by far the nicest guy on the show.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the Leslie reminder. Cant stand her.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM

It's Sheldon, even if he is somewhat oblivious to it. He is constantly deriding the work others do, reminding Howard of his lack of a PhD, making others feel stupid and forcing everyone else to conform to his standards.

Raj has his issues but at least he has empathy, something Sheldon completely lacks.

Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 02-28-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
What? Penny takes Leonard for granted all the time (most recently, the Valentine's Day episode) and needs to be constantly reminded of how terrible the guys she used to date were (and by contrast, how much better Leonard is).

The big dude she dumped before the start of the first season stole a ton of money from her and almost caused her to be kicked out of her apartment. Leonard was happy that Sheldon's assistant liked him and marveled at the fact that two beautiful women thought he was a catch.

Man, what an asshole.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

The landlord is a real jerk for taking so long to fix the apartment building's elevator.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM

What's wrong with Leslie Winkle? I'd hit that in a heartbeat!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
What? Penny takes Leonard for granted all the time (most recently, the Valentine's Day episode) and needs to be constantly reminded of how terrible the guys she used to date were (and by contrast, how much better Leonard is).

The big dude she dumped before the start of the first season stole a ton of money from her and almost caused her to be kicked out of her apartment. Leonard was happy that Sheldon's assistant liked him and marveled at the fact that two beautiful women thought he was a catch.

Man, what an asshole.
I mean, yeah, if I were Leonard, I would've dumped Penny for the prettier, smarter assistant in a heart beat. (Well, probably not really, but I would have thought it.)
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
He treats women like shit.
Only in your head, I think.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Didn't Leonard say something to Penny one time to the effect of: "He's an asshole when he's not drunk too, you just don't see it."
When he is sober and there are not women around he does occasionally do "burns" on the other guys, but it seems to me that it is all good natured guyish teasing, not real meanness (and clearly the other guys do not actually dislike him for it). That is what Leonard is referring to.

I do not think he is aware or in control of his jerkishness when drunk. It is a corollary of his normal intense shyness, with the pendulum suddenly swinging too far the other way. Clearly it does not do him any good. He usually starts of by charming the women he talks to, and then loses them when he gets boorish. Note that the time he thought he was drunk, but it was non-alcoholic beer, he never did get boorish. He was still being charming with the woman when Howard told him it was not alcohol, and rendered him mute again. Now that really was a jerk move, on Howard's part.

Last edited by njtt; 02-28-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
mom always liked everyone else best.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 AM

I think it's Penny, although I like her. While Sheldon doesn't know he's a jerk Penny is well aware of her ability to manipulate people.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM

Fer cryin' out loud, it's obviously Wil Wheaton
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Biggest jerk on that show? Whoever's in charge of the laugh track.
I'm sure its sweetened, especially if multiple takes are needed, by its filmed in front of a live audience.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 AM

This topic actually touches on something I've noticed since I started watching BBT about a month ago (re-runs on TBS).

All the main characters are kind of ambiguously good and bad. Nobody's a total unrepentant a-hole, at least without a plausible explanation. All are prone to spells of extreme selfishness, and all end up being really, really forgiving to their friends at various times.

That being said, I'd put my "biggest jerk" medal on Penny, with Leonard getting an honorable mention.

They try to play it off as Penny being indecisive about her and Leonard's relationship, and as a fundamentally good person, but the unsaid thing is that in real life, she'd be dealing with Leonard because all the guys she wants to date wouldn't put up with her BS and would have kicked her to the curb long ago, and nerdy schlubs like Leonard are the only ones willing to put up with her BS, indecision and manipulation.

Combine that with the fact that she *knows* that Leonard has a thing for her, and probably always will, and it makes her a huge jerk in my eyes. Leonard gets the honorable mention, because when the tables are turned in later seasons, he jerks her around some as well.

Sheldon, Raj and Howard are all kind of assholes in their own ways, but none of them are intentionally assholes- it's just sort of who they are.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:21 AM

explain to me why Sheldon is not an intentional jerk again? when you intentionally repeat an action that you know others consider jerkish - you're a jerk.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
S?

wooosh
Silly bunt.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Leonard gets the honorable mention, because when the tables are turned in later seasons, he jerks her around some as well.
Examples, please.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Season 5, Episode 9 "The Ornithopia Diffusion," for one. He is also incredibly asshole-ish in Season 4, where he cheats on Priya with Mrs. Latham, and Season 5, where he treats Alice like shit while cheating on Priya yet again. Cheating = asshole in my book.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Sheldon is a pain to deal with, but I think I would give him a pass based on the fact that he clearly has mental issues - probably something on the autism spectrum. Sure, I'd be upset if a special needs kid if he drooled on me, but I wouldn't be upset at him.

Pre-Bernadette Howard is not so much a jerk as just pathetically desperate. Post-Bernadette he's pretty likeable.

Leonard generally has a moral code and knows what he wants, but can sometimes be quite rude. If I had to put up with Sheldon all day, I'd be kinda snippy too.

Penny's joshing of the guys strikes me more as a defense mechanism than true jerkitude. I'd blame the string of failed relationships on her paranoia with Leonard too.

Bernadette and Amy are both non-jerks, although AFF's need for acceptance comes off a little whiny at times.

That leaves Raj. Who, despite his mutism, is socially aware to know he's a jerk. He just doesn't care. He's a spoiled, entitled rich kid who wants the world to bow to his whim. My favorite example is his first date with the deaf girl. He kept want Howard to tell her all this fancy stuff, and Howard being a good friend, watered down everything to "normal speech".
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Among the main cast it's definatly Raj.
Yep, you can try to excuse some of his behavior with the drinking (ignoring in vino, veritas) or the fact he's a sad sack, but still... he's a jerk.