The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Helen Hunt's face - wtf?

Mrs. CC and I have noticed recently - particularly at the Academy Awards and in the movie, The Sessions, that Helen Hunt looks totally weird. Her face looks sort of like those dessicated mummies. Skin tight, angular cheekbones, teeth protruding, extremely unattractive. She was never a beauty, but she looks scary now. (Except she does have a terrific figure) Did something happen to her? Is she very ill? Does anyone in this forum have the Straight Dope?
Advertisements  
Old 03-23-2013, 05:16 PM

I just did a google image search on "helen hunt academy award"

She looks fine, for a skinny actress.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Looks like she has some "smoker's face" going on. Those things age you.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Once in a while, this same kind of thread pops up about an older actress- "Oh my god, what happened to ______??!" The answer is "people age". You may be so used to actresses either disappearing altogether when they get "old" (by Hollywood standards) or seeing them with fillers, Botox, and plastic surgery, that you're no longer used to seeing natural aging and so it surprises you. Helen Hunt is "old", plus she is also quite thin, and so doesn't have a lot of fat underneath the skin to plump it up and fill out her wrinkles and so maybe looks a bit more haggard because of that.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Plus she has smoker's face.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM

I think it may be all those years of being in charge of my pay raises. Every time I asked boss about one, he would tell me to go to Helen Hunt for it.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 PM

Trying to maintain the body of an 18-year-old also ages a person. Kathleen Turner once said "After 40, you can either keep your face or your body." Helen Hunt recently did The Sessions, where she spend a lot of time naked, and I'm sure she dieted and exercised like a mad woman, and the strain shows.

And yeah, that smoking thing.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
She was never a beauty, but she looks scary now. (Except she does have a terrific figure) Did something happen to her? Is she very ill? Does anyone in this forum have the Straight Dope?
I've thought she was a fox since St. Elsewhere! I just saw her in that recent film where she has sex with a disabled guy, several times. And appears full-frontal butt-nekid several times! Nothing wrong with how she looks (including the face!)
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

She looks like a very attractive 49 year old woman.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
This. I did the search and found a couple shots where you can see some small lines around her mouth and eyes, big whoop. She *is* 49 after all.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Trying to maintain the body of an 18-year-old also ages a person. Kathleen Turner once said "After 40, you can either keep your face or your body." Helen Hunt recently did The Sessions, where she spend a lot of time naked, and I'm sure she dieted and exercised like a mad woman, and the strain shows.
Bingo!

She's got the "Madonnaface".
Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I assume this is what the OP is talking about. I understand the mummy comment. I googled (like the other poster) Helen Hunt Academy Awards and it was pretty clear what the OP meant. To me, it just looks like a bad makeup job. At the very least, the skin toned lipstick is throwing her whole face off.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 PM

She looks great to me.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 PM

How old are you, CC? This may just be a question of perspective. I'm a few years older than Helen Hunt, and I think she looks great. Maybe a bit thin.

I've always thought she was one of those lucky women who went from being a pretty young woman/girl to being a beautiful grown woman. She's gotten better-looking as she got older.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Dances, prances

Jesus you all are harsh. I'm 49 and wish I looked that good.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
I think it may be all those years of being in charge of my pay raises. Every time I asked boss about one, he would tell me to go to Helen Hunt for it.
You win this thread.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
She was never a beauty
I'm sorry. You've lost all credibility on this issue. Where were you in the Mad About You years?

Anyway, I agree that she looks like a gorgeous 49-year-old who had an unflattering photo taken. She could have picked a better lipstick color. And a few pounds probably wouldn't hurt her looks any. But, still lovely.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I'm sorry. You've lost all credibility on this issue. Where were you in the Mad About You years?
She looked like she was like 35 on that show.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
She looked like she was like 35 on that show.
That's probably because she was 35 on that show. Well for one season anyway. I think she was 29 or 30 in season one.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM

This may be what the OP is talkng about:

Helen Hunt

What I see here is that she is thrusting her chin forward for the camera, and pulling her upper lip up a bit in the smile, so it's almost a grimace.

These are both common techniques for avoiding wattle and smile creases when being photographed.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
This. I did the search and found a couple shots where you can see some small lines around her mouth and eyes, big whoop. She *is* 49 after all.
Thirded. Sweet Jesus on a Rollerskate, people, she looks just fine considering as mentioned the weight-loss regimens and smoking. But then again I'm her near contemporary so I'm used to the pushing-50 look as normal.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Anyway, I agree that she looks like a gorgeous 49-year-old who had an unflattering photo taken. She could have picked a better lipstick color.
It's not an unflattering photo as much as a really bad makeup job. The stylist ought to be drawn and quartered. The "nude lip" is an abomination, IMHO, but it tends to look extra-bad on a woman with thinner lips. She has deep-set eyes, but the eye makeup makes her look positively squinty. I agree with the OP that she looks pretty weird on the Academy Award red carpet, but the problem lies not with her face but with what's been applied to her face.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

I think she has smoker's face, too, but beyond that, she looks pretty damned good for her age.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Saw her on Top of the Lake a new Sundance series. My wife thought she had her lips done. That rarely turns out well.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Dances, prances

Is she some famous smoker or something? Or are you all just guessing?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
It's not an unflattering photo as much as a really bad makeup job. The stylist ought to be drawn and quartered. The "nude lip" is an abomination, IMHO, but it tends to look extra-bad on a woman with thinner lips. She has deep-set eyes, but the eye makeup makes her look positively squinty. I agree with the OP that she looks pretty weird on the Academy Award red carpet, but the problem lies not with her face but with what's been applied to her face.
I haven't seen anyone yet whose looks are flattered by that nude lip thing. It think it washes out the features and makes everyone look like they have no lips at all. I can't wait until slut red lipstick comes back into vogue.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I assume this is what the OP is talking about.
I think she looks great in this photo. I am genuinely confused by all of this. I thought when I clicked this that it was going to be one of those horrible plastic-surgery-gone-wrong photos showing a celebrity who looks barely human after being stretched and Botoxed and carved beyond recognition. But that's just... Helen Hunt. Looking pretty good for her age. Y'all are crazy.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM

I've always thought Helen Hunt looked great and I see nothing in these photos to disprove that.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM

She's OK; and she was very beautiful younger.

As for smokers looking gaunt, I've never noticed it -- some are very hearty. Still, the anti-smoking nutters could make this a warning for young women, 'Don't smoke and you'll have fat features all your life'.

v. Bernhardi ---- Germany and the Next War
Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Perhaps you are being to harsh.

http://www.starpulse.com/Actresses/H...ry/AES-092396/

The worst I can say is that she could stand to gain a few pounds.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Perhaps you are being to harsh.

Or perhaps not. She doesn't look too great here.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
Is she some famous smoker or something? Or are you all just guessing?
I'm curious about this too.

(And, BTW she looks just fine to me. I never did think she was any kind of raving beauty to begin with though.)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM

I'm getting a 404 error. Are you sure that link is whole?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
Saw her on Top of the Lake a new Sundance series. My wife thought she had her lips done. That rarely turns out well.
That's Holly Hunter.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM

I think it looks as if her face has been tightened up, but she still looks like herself. Compare that to the horror that is Joan Van ark: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...an%20van%20ark
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM

I completely disagree that she was never a beauty. Now, she's certainly lost some of her looks to age, but that's life.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM

She doesn't look bad in any of those pictures. You shouldn't compare a woman who's almost 50 to starlets half her age. Yeah, she's got a more masculinized facial structure than average. Sharp angles and stuff. But that's how she's always looked.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claverhouse View Post
As for smokers looking gaunt, I've never noticed it -- some are very hearty.
It's not about being "gaunt," it's about all the characteristic wrinkles smokers get. And it's not just women. Stephen Dorff and Ethan Hawke are other examples of the phenomenon.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I guess this is a matter of taste and perspective. I never did think she was a beauty, even on Mad About You. Cute, maybe, but with a hard edge. Now, she looks like she's had a face lift that pulled all her skin back, leaving all her sharp features looking sharper - nose, cheeks, teeth, chin, and with thin lips. Heck, yeah, her body looks great in The Sessions, but her face looks weird. At times, she looks very unpleasant, like a witch. I have seen people age, celebrities as well as friends. This looks....different. But, oh, well, "It's all a matter of taste," said the old lady as she kissed the cow's ass.

p.s. Saintly Loser, I'm 70.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Kathleen Turner once said "After 40, you can either keep your face or your body."
Which did Kathleen keep?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I think she was good looking back in the MAY days, and that she's still stunning at age 49.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
Which did Kathleen keep?
She had a large amount of weight gain due to the prednisone she takes for her debilitating rheumatoid arthritis.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 AM

I recall an SDMB thread where y'all thought Ms. Hunt strongly resembled the younger actress Leelee Sobieski. Well, for those of you complaining about Ms. Hunt's allegedly fading looks, here's your chance to transfer your affections to her "twin."
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Hell yeah. Is there a place I can sign up to look that good in four years?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM

I think we need a new Straight Dope rule. For the next "whatever happened to "AAA" thread," which will be the 100th or there about, lets ensure that the OP post his or her picture.

Like Helen Hunt or not, I'd love to be her equivalent in looks and shape at her age. Really, what 50 year old woman here wouldn't want to look that good, and what 50 year old guy wouldn't want to date her??

Last edited by spifflog; 03-26-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I think we need a new Straight Dope rule. For the next "whatever happened to "AAA" thread," which will be the 100th or there about, lets ensure that the OP post his or her picture.

Like Helen Hunt or not, I'd love to be her equivalent in looks and shape at her age. Really, what 50 year old woman here wouldn't want to look that good, and what 50 year old guy wouldn't want to date her??
Wayulllll......

Let's not go tooo overboard. I agree that she's fine for a 50 year old woman. And I certainly don't believe that most men would choose me over her, even though I'm ten years her junior.

But, I know a whole lot of 50 year old women who look freaking terrific. As a matter of fact, most 50 year old women that I know look awesome. Let's not start getting carried away by claiming that all 50 year olds would want to look like Helen Hunt. She doesn't look that damn good.

And celebs are judged a bit more harshly, and in Hollywood, there are some women in their late 40s that will make Helen Hunt look like the crypt keeper. It's silly to say, "Oh, post YOUR pic then" to those who critique her, because those doing the criticizing aren't in a business where one gets paid to look glamorous.

Last edited by Nzinga, Seated; 03-26-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
She doesn't look that damn good.
Yes, she does. I know reasonable people can disagree on what looks good but I'm hard pressed to see where Helen Hunt doesn't pass that test.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Yes, she does. I know reasonable people can disagree on what looks good but I'm hard pressed to see where Helen Hunt doesn't pass that test.
But a lot of 50 year old women wouldn't trade looks with her. I'm close to that age, and fully made up, with a high end cut and color, I think I'm better looking than those photos. Add a little filler in spots, a dress I have been sewn into, and a month with a personal trainer to get red carpet ready, and I know I am.

Not that she isn't good looking, and not that she hasn't aged well, just that I like my look better than Helen Hunt's. and I've aged pretty well, too.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
As a reasonable person, I agree with you that she looks just fine for her age. Again, I stress to you that I couldn't beat her in any beauty contest.

But, when I said, "She doesn't look that damn good" it was in this context...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
...Let's not start getting carried away by claiming that all 50 year olds would want to look like Helen Hunt. She doesn't look that damn good.
Don't see how you could have missed that part. It was in response to spifflog's ponder of "What 50 year old woman wouldn't want to look that good?"

I can think of plenty who would consider it a downgrade. Since Helen Hunt is a celeb, let's look at some other celebs in her age range...

Angela Basset: Age 54

Garcelle Beavais: Age 46

Salma Hayek: age 46

Jennifer Tilley: age 54

Julianne Moore: age 54

And about 3 dozen women I know in my neighborhood, family, work.

I didn't claim Helen Hunt is ugly. I just called for a bit of perspective. If you tell me ANY woman would love to look as good as her, I will have to say, "Well, she doesn't actually look THAT good."

Saying, "Yes, she does" doesn't exactly change my mind. If anything it just reinforces for me that we all have different opinions. And that's actually a good thing. If that weren't the case, some of us poor schlups wouldn't get any action at all.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM

She looks pretty damn good IMO. Then again, I have a thing for blondes.