Removing rust with coke?

can anyone explain how this works so well in this video? How To Take Rust and Paint Off Chrome - YouTube does the coke cause a chemical reaction with the aluminum to make it work?

It is due to the acid in the Coke, which has carbonic (dissolved carbon dioxide) and phosphoric acids. The latter is often used in cleaning products, including rust removal (phosphoric acid reacts with rust converting it to ferric phosphate), if at a much higher concentration). Although Coke isn’t as acidic as popularly claimed; e.g. it won’t dissolve a tooth or steak overnight (and you want to use diet Coke so you don’t have to deal with the sugary residue).

I didn’t watch the video, but there’s something awry if they’ve got rusty aluminum.

Aluminum doesn’t rust.

The video shows someone dipping aluminum foil in Diet Cke, then rubbing the foil on what looks like a chrome bumper.

Also, aluminum oxidizes.

I’m guessing the aluminum foil in that video is just acting as a mild soft abrasive. And while Coke contains a some phosphoric acid, I doubt it’s anywhere near as effective as buying a commercial product to do the job.

The most effective solvent in that video was probably the elbow grease that was applied.

No because just regular coke doesn’t remove rust very well. I think its reacting with the aluminum. They also said its not scratching the chrome hows the possible?

Mythbusters busted this one!

As an owner of a Harley Davidson with a LOT of chrome, I can attest to the efficacy of 0000 steel wool.
As long as the surface being cleaned is DRY, chrome plated metal, 0000 steel wool is the most expedient (read, cheapest) cleaner that I’ve found. It won’t scratch genuine chrome plating, and as long as you remove the residue (bits of steel wool) by blowing with dry, high pressure air, the resulting job is exceptional. :slight_smile:
I might add, what I mean by ‘high pressure’ air is, a conventional air compressor (110 psi max.) with an inline moisture trap/remover. Such as the type used with spray painting rigs or nail guns.
For that matter, I’ve seen a ‘shop vac’ reversed so that it blows air used to the same effect.
With excellent results. :cool:
To matt357… Aluminum is a ‘softer’ metal than chrome. That’s why it doesn’t scratch the chrome.

The aluminium does not play any part in a chemical reaction while cleaning the chrome.

The soft drink helps by wetting the gunk stuck to the chrome , it wets a little better than pure water due to the sugar and also other stuff in it.

The phosphoric acid may help to fade orange rust stains, by fading them to a fine dust of dark iron phosphate - if the rust is really bad this may not be the best result. But with just sme orange marks, the iron phosphate dust may wipe off.

I remember that internet meme…Coke drivers using Coke syrup to clean the engine blocks on their trucks, teeth dissolving overnight, steaks magically disappearing, etc.

Very rolleyes-worthy.

You can actually clean the corrosion off of car battery terminals using Coke. It makes a mess, and works slowly, but if you had no other way to do it Coke will do the job. In a pinch, if a battery clamp is frozen to the terminal, Coke will help loosen it up. Acids made for the job will do it faster without leaving Coke all over the battery.

Please do not do this. I have rescued several dead cars due to this “wonder” cleaning product. Those are the ones where the owners admitted to cleaning the terminals with coke.

It DOES dissolve and remove the corrosion. It also seeps down between the terminal and the post and forms a thin insulating layer that creates enough resistance that a car won’t start. This takes, IME, a few days to a couple of weeks to happen. Pulling the terminals with a proper puller, and cleaning them with a purpose designed male/female wire brush restored the function in most cases.

In one case, the terminals were clamp-on replacement terminals, and the coke got in between the copper wire and the terminal. That took some scraping with a pocket knife to fix.

Now when I encounter a car that seems to have full voltage in run, but is obviously dropping quite low when the starter is engaged, I immediately ask if they have recently done the coke trick. “Yeah, it works great!”

I didn’t recommend it. I’ve seen it done, it loosened the corrosion, and made a mess. So I’ll be clearer about it now, don’t do this, it’s stupid.

What is it in the coke that makes a layer form after the water has evaporated, and would it still happen with diet coke?