Are there any countries without beggars ?

In my travels in third world countries sometimes the people will try to apologize to me
for my being harassed by beggars.
My standard reply is that it doesn’t matter if a country is rich or poor, all countries have beggars.

Is that true, or are there some countries that do not have any beggars ?

In all my trips to Geneva and Bern, I never saw any panhandlers. They either don’t allow it there, or they provide for them.

I saw beggars in Zurich.

Vatican City.

What about Monaco?

The entire place was built by the largest and most sophisticated pan-handling operation ever conceived.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing as I typed that answer. :slight_smile:

Also I got panhandled while in line there.

Iceland, supposedly. Country with a very small population, a single major city, and social services constructed in such a way that the homeless are basically not seen.

Reykjavik isn’t as cold as you might expect from the latitude, but it’s not warm. That might also have something to do with it. You might want to check out other northern latitude countries.

That doesn’t seem like the sort of thing they’d tolerate in Singapore’s “sort-of democratic except when it comes to public order and tidyness” system

And I found it even more so at the other non-contiguous Vatican City properties (St. John Lateran, etc.)

But I’d like to put out that Seoul had the fewest (in that I encountered none) number of beggars, panhandlers, etc. that I’ve ever seen in a large city.

Do they have panhandlers in Tuvalu?

I’ve spent a lot of time in Singapore and I’ve encountered exactly one beggar. He was pretending to stand in line for a bus, but then launched into this really long and complicated story about how he was a Chinese research scientist who lost his grant and was now reduced to begging. His approash seemed to be based on the idea that it wouldn’t look like he was beggng, but rather just engaged in conversation. The problem was that his spiel was so long that the bus came before he got to the begging part and I got on the bus and left.

Maybe Nauru?

None in the Falkland Islands.

Bizarro World San Francisco.

I also think the Vatican Sovereign Military Order of Malta (a quasi-nation) wouldn’t, considering the size if nothing else (the latter’s territory is mostly office building!). On the other hand, I bet they do get the worst beggars possible, telemarketers!

Very cold countries will have fewer. In the winter, they either have to freeze to death, move to another country (harder on Iceland and other islands), or the government has to provide housing for ~6 months.

Not a country. They’re an overseas territory of the UK. If you’re going to suggest them, we might add Tristan Da Cunha or Pitcairn Island. Tuvalu and Nauru are sovereign nations. In particular, Tuvalu has a population of about 10,000, consists entirely of coral atolls, receives only about 1000 tourists a year, has a large trust fund from commercializing their “.tv” domain, and has an overriding concern that they are likely to be treading water in a few decades (the highest point is 15 feet above sea level). I don’t imagine that they panhandle each other a lot.

Well, maybe fewer but you’d be amazed that homeless people in Ottawa will find outdoor places to sleep at -20 C. When it gets to -30 they typically seek out shelters. You’d have to be crazy, oh wait…

And they won’t tolerate any competition.

Saudi Arabia
Lots of street vendors, some of them selling anything but dirty sand, but no flat-out beggars.