The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Flattening curling linoleum floor edges in-situ

I have a kitchen with linoleum flooring (probably vinyl flooring in reality), with several edges that have curled up. Replacing the entire floor at this time is NOT an option, nor is removing it - I need a way to flatten the floor's curled edges and have them re-adhere to the subfloor (plywood) - and have this last for a few more years.
Google searches have turned up a few sites of various quality, but I wonder if any Dopers have sure-fired methods that work. If possible, I'd like to avoid nailing strips of wood down over the edges.

Thanks

Last edited by SirRay; 04-10-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM

My dad resorted to regluing and used three or four roofing nails to hold it down. That worked really well in our bathroom. It was curling where the vinyl met the tub.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM

If you've got a large area. You only need a roofing nail about every 2 ft. Thats enough to keep the vinyl from ripping the fresh glue.

A little white paint on the nail heads will help them blend in. Get a small brush from the art & crafts dept at Walmart. You want a round brush a little smaller than a pencil.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-10-2013 at 05:05 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM

clean surfaces, apply glue. stomp on it. after gluing place a board(s) on it with lots on weight on the board, let dry/cure.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM

Warm it up with an iron first so it is more pliable then glue it back down, placing weights until cured.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Regluing may be ok in the kitchen. I know in my dads bathroom that area by the tub kept getting wet. After gluing it back down several times it was time to add a few roofing nails with the fresh glue. We owned that house another ten years and never had a bit of trouble with the vinyl lifting up again.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-10-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 AM

If it's curling on the edges then add another layer of border molding and a little glue.

"get your own damn soap box, I'm trying to watch the parade": me
Old 04-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Use a contact cement glue. It's applied to both surfaces and allowed to cure for about 5 minutes. Keep the surfaces separated while curing because once the surfaces touch, it doesn't let go. It's the same type of glue used to adhere laminate counter-tops to the substrate.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Yes contact cement. Resilient floor glue does not cure or set, it just creates a tacky surface, which allows adjustment of the floor but gives limited holding power. Once the vinyl curls it tends to not stay down. Contact cement has a lot more holding power. The late model stuff is water based and a little easier to work with.