The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 AM

Why are people in the southeast hoarding/stockpiling ammo?

Got stuck in an awkward conversation last night at Dick's Sporting Goods. Ran into an old friend who is a police officer and while we were catching up, he and several other shoppers and two store employees began discussing rumors of where one could find ammo and how far one would have to travel to buy it. Apparently the shelves have been empty since Thanksgiving, and these people were bragging about their hoards. The employees were complaining about the stampede of customers on days the stock would arrive, and how the store, Walmart, and a couple other retailers were overrun with requests for more. What rumor, price hike, political agenda, or recent change in law is causing this obsession or scarcity of ammunition?
Advertisements  
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Keeping my password unchanged

Panic buying, like buying 20 rolls of toilet paper before a severe snowstorm.

I find it hard to believe, given OP, that you are not aware of, shall we say, discussion recently of law regarding civil ammunition. I also wonder about disingenuous questions.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:04 AM

Not at all. I live with a sportsman, there are several hunting rifles in a safe here and he shoots skeet competitively. Also works in a field that is a largely conservative workforce who have conservative hobbies. His answer was "rumors and panic" but has no idea what the original source was.

If you noticed, I'm not interested in a political debate, this is GQ. Do you have an actual answer or just weak snark?

Last edited by Troppus; 04-20-2013 at 03:05 AM..
Old 04-20-2013, 03:26 AM

I live in the Southeast and attribute the purchase and hoarding of ammo to ignorance and paranoia that sparked a rumor mill among gun enthusiasts that somehow the government would prevent them from future access to ammunition. One article I read based the rumor on a large government acquisition of ammo that was necessary to maintain adequate supplies to maintain munitions used in our war effort. Some gun enthusiasts interpreted this fact/rumor as a clandestine government attempt to buy every bullet in the world so they rushed out to stock up.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 AM

But the only actual potential legislation was concerning the size of magazines, right? Was there some other legislation specifically concerning ammo?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 AM

This gives a nice overview:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/econom...ply-and-demand

Basically, there was a rumor a few moths back that DHS was going to make a huge purchase and effectively buy up all supply (it wasn't). In response, people started buying up any ammo that they could find. Manufacturers tried to keep up with demand, but they have little spare capacity. And whenever more ammo shows up in a store, somebody will inevitably snatch it up for their 10,000 round rainy day stock.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppus View Post
But the only actual potential legislation was concerning the size of magazines, right? Was there some other legislation specifically concerning ammo?
Only in the minds of the ammo buyers.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereknocue67 View Post
Only in the minds of the ammo buyers.
SOME ammo buyers -but that's all it takes. Once ammo starts to become scarce because the crazies are hoarding it, it starts to make sense for the non-paranoid to begin to hoard it as we'll (because they have no idea how long the shortage will last, and running out of ammo means no shooting). It becomes a self-perpetuating, snowballing problem, like a bank run.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
This gives a nice overview:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/econom...ply-and-demand

Basically, there was a rumor a few moths back that DHS was going to make a huge purchase and effectively buy up all supply (it wasn't). In response, people started buying up any ammo that they could find. Manufacturers tried to keep up with demand, but they have little spare capacity. And whenever more ammo shows up in a store, somebody will inevitably snatch it up for their 10,000 round rainy day stock.
Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Follow-up question: Do the stock-pilers know they are entirely responsible for the empty shelves, or do they believe that "the government" is forcing manufacturers to limit production, or one of the other rumors? The conversation I was privy to last night quickly escalated and I split before asking why they were hoarding.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Many gun owners became very nervous when the president and many congress members started talking about banning guns, taxing ammo, etc. in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre. Fearing new legislation that may be coming, many gun owners started buying guns and ammo at an unprecedented pace. And who can blame them?

The panic buying has lead to shortages of guns and ammo. I am surprised, however, that many vendors have not significantly raised their prices as a result of the greater demand. The simplest way to eliminate the shortage problem is to keep raising prices until it is no longer a problem.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Many gun owners became very nervous when the president and many congress members started talking about banning guns, taxing ammo, etc. in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre. Fearing new legislation that may be coming, many gun owners started buying guns and ammo at an unprecedented pace. And who can blame them?
What bans, what guns, what ammo tax? Who said this, and where can I find any legislative attempts to accomplish anything other than limit magazine size?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM

The mistaken notion that if they try and secede again the rest of the nation will try and stop them.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
What bans, what guns, what ammo tax? Who said this, and where can I find any legislative attempts to accomplish anything other than limit magazine size?
Since you seem to be almost totally ignorant of the history of gun control efforts in this country you could start with the NRA website to learn something about what motivates many people. It shouldn't take too much research to find that there has been a recent effort to ban assault rifles, which were banned not so long ago.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Just one example of many:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administ...-politics.html
Quote:
The Obama Administration says despite Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's decision to exclude the assault weapons ban from comprehensive gun control for lack of votes, the President still supports it and urges the Senate to vote publicly on the proposal to eliminate "military-style weapons" from American streets as an amendment.
(Bolding added for emphasis.)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It shouldn't take too much research to find that there has been a recent effort to ban assault rifles, which were banned not so long ago.
What?

Quote:
Since you seem to be almost totally ignorant of the history of gun control efforts in this country you could start with the NRA website to learn something about what motivates many people.
Thanks for pointing me towards a lobby, but I asked a specific question. If you can't answer, don't. What recent legislation, failed or passed, would cause people to hoard ammo. Not just ammo for assault rifles, but all ammo? The shelves were cleared. Two of the people I spoke to planned on driving 80 miles to a Wal-mart to wait on line at midnight for shells, powder, and some sort of shell recycling/re-packing supplies. Why? What actual, concrete, written legislation has been proposed that would cause people to purchase everything from birdshot to 22 shells in bulk and clean out the stores for miles?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Just one example of many:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-administ...-politics.html
(Bolding added for emphasis.)
Okay, can you point me towards more of the "many"? The assault rifle discussion is only one I'm aware of. By the way, which assault rifles take .22 shells?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for pointing me towards a lobby, but I asked a specific question. If you can't answer, don't. What recent legislation, failed or passed, would cause people to hoard ammo. Not just ammo for assault rifles, but all ammo? The shelves were cleared. Two of the people I spoke to planned on driving 80 miles to a Wal-mart to wait on line at midnight for shells, powder, and some sort of shell recycling/re-packing supplies. Why? What actual, concrete, written legislation has been proposed that would cause people to purchase everything from birdshot to 22 shells in bulk and clean out the stores for miles?
Is your google broken?

Lawmakers eye new taxes on guns, ammo in latest wave of legislation
Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, can you point me towards more of the "many"? The assault rifle discussion is only one I'm aware of. By the way, which assault rifles take .22 shells?
I give up.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I give up.
After one cite and one example of the assault rifle ban? Won't even bother to explain why ammunition for small caliber and hunting rifles is being hoarded? Why not?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Keeping my password unchanged

Told'ja.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What?
The 1994 Crime Bill.
Quote:
If you want rational reasons for this behavior then you won't find any because there aren't any. Otherwise, you are not asking questions which have factual answers that can be provided here because it calls for the knowledge of the workings of a person's mind. You should ask to have this thread moved to IMHO or GD if you want people to explain their own reasoning.

Last edited by TriPolar; 04-20-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Told'ja.
You were correct; OP is trolling. I vote to lock this thread.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 PM

The initial rumor, which I heard from many different people, was something along the line of "If they can't take your guns, they'll just make ammo impossible to get."

There was a nasty feedback loop in effect as well. People began hoarding ammo because prices started escalating, which in turn caused things to get really nasty. Many were stockpiling because they, for whatever reason, keep certain minimal levels of ammo on hand. Others were scalping. Human nature and economics are largely immutable things, it would seem.

I've been without any .45 ammo for over six months just because I don't want to pay so much. I have plenty of other hobbies to tide me over
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Told'ja.
Leo, I reported the insult in your first post. You can take a break now.

Quote:
The 1994 Crime Bill.

If you want rational reasons for this behavior then you won't find any because there aren't any. Otherwise, you are not asking questions which have factual answers that can be provided here because it calls for the knowledge of the workings of a person's mind. You should ask to have this thread moved to IMHO or GD if you want people to explain their own reasoning.
Yes, I am looking for factual answers. One of the speakers in the conversation last night has a Master's in Education and is informed me he is returning to school for a degree in Administration. The police officer was a VA state trooper and has been a county officer for the last five years. I assumed that they had some valid reasons to hoard, drive hours out of the way, and obsess over something that my husband the competitive shooter and avid hunter is not concerned with.

For the rest of you sniping posters who refuse to contribute or worse, provide FOX news links, the 16 gun safe in this house is full. We have two freezers full of deer, duck, turkey, bighorn, and one nuisance bear no one wants to eat and a wall full of trophies for skeet tourneys. And even if that weren't true, you have no reason to be jerks in GQ. If you can't answer or have an agenda, you have plenty of other forums to play in.

Last edited by Troppus; 04-20-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Hey, here's an idea. Would you like photos of the guns, safe, and/or trophies in my home? Do I owe a handful of snide, paranoid posters that evidence? Doubt it, but I'm game. You guys give yourselves a bad name. You don't need curious people like me to do that.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Same situation here. I haven't been able to buy .22 ammo for months because I'm not willing to take off work on Thursday mornings to go wait in line. Additionally, people who have never had guns are arming themselves and getting carry permits. Carry permits are pretty easy to get here but the wait times are long because the system is jammed.

There are .22LR versions of nearly all "assault rifles" as well as conversion kits to make a centerfire gun shoot (much cheaper) .22 ammo.
The proposed legislation regarding "assault rifles" includes .22 versions even though the round is not considered a good defense (or offense) round.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Same situation here. I haven't been able to buy .22 ammo for months because I'm not willing to take off work on Thursday mornings to go wait in line. Additionally, people who have never had guns are arming themselves and getting carry permits. Carry permits are pretty easy to get here but the wait times are long because the system is jammed.

There are .22LR versions of nearly all "assault rifles" as well as conversion kits to make a centerfire gun shoot (much cheaper) .22 ammo.
The proposed legislation regarding "assault rifles" includes .22 versions even though the round is not considered a good defense (or offense) round.
Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. So the assault rifle thing is the only concrete proposal, and the rest just snowballed on that? No other pending legislation that will prevent hunters, sportsmen or those who carry small arms for protection? (I'm not asking about collectors; I assume the assault weapons are favored by those people since they have little other practical application)
Old 04-20-2013, 02:12 PM

This simply isn't a factual question, that seems to be what the OP doesn't get. I'd submit you're ignorant of current events if you are unaware of gun control legislation. Dianne Feinstein proposed basically a new and updated version of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, the Vice President lead a commission looking into what gun control should be passed and came back with basically saying the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban should be more or less brought back as well as strengthened background checks.

In some States there have been state level proposals to ban certain types of ammunition link, for example if the Wisconsin ban was in place it would essentially make hunting deer with a gun impossible in Wisconsin.

That's really about all there has been, is a proposed AWB renewal, some new background check laws, and a collection of state laws regulating various things, some of which have passed and some of which are just proposed.

But what you're actually asking is why two people you know are concerned about ammunition availability while your husband isn't. That's not a factual question, you're asking us to explain why someone thinks something. There are many people who are concerned about the supply of ammunition because of a recent spate of renewed interest in gun control legislation. If you are looking to a specific "hard" link between a specific piece of legislation and specific people's fear of ammunition supply you aren't going to find one. Instead what you'll find is varying justifications from individuals.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. So the assault rifle thing is the only concrete proposal, and the rest just snowballed on that? No other pending legislation that will prevent hunters, sportsmen or those who carry small arms for protection? (I'm not asking about collectors; I assume the assault weapons are favored by those people since they have little other practical application)
Contrary to what many believe rifles such as the AR-15 are widely used for hunting. They are considered underpowered (in .223) for deer and are actually banned for use in some places for that reason. The AR is very popular among coyote hunters. In fact several ar manufacturers market models specifically for coyotes. they generally have long barrels for increased accuracy and cammo finishes. They are also popular for groundhog, feral pigs and varmints in general. The AR is light, accurate and quick for followup shots. You don't need to put 30 rounds in them all the time. I'd assume most hunters just carry a few rounds in the gun to keep the weight down.

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-20-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hyde View Post
This simply isn't a factual question, that seems to be what the OP doesn't get. I'd submit you're ignorant of current events if you are unaware of gun control legislation. Dianne Feinstein proposed basically a new and updated version of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, the Vice President lead a commission looking into what gun control should be passed and came back with basically saying the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban should be more or less brought back as well as strengthened background checks.

In some States there have been state level proposals to ban certain types of ammunition link, for example if the Wisconsin ban was in place it would essentially make hunting deer with a gun impossible in Wisconsin.

That's really about all there has been, is a proposed AWB renewal, some new background check laws, and a collection of state laws regulating various things, some of which have passed and some of which are just proposed.

But what you're actually asking is why two people you know are concerned about ammunition availability while your husband isn't. That's not a factual question, you're asking us to explain why someone thinks something. There are many people who are concerned about the supply of ammunition because of a recent spate of renewed interest in gun control legislation. If you are looking to a specific "hard" link between a specific piece of legislation and specific people's fear of ammunition supply you aren't going to find one. Instead what you'll find is varying justifications from individuals.
I'm trying to "get it". That's why I asked in GQ. I'm still not clear how the assault rifles ban and the tougher background checks will harm the recreational shooter, the hunter, or those persons who carry for personal protection. I trust the people I was speaking with to be rational, intelligent folks, and as I've little interest in guns or gun control issues, I tend to skip articles that don't make headlines and I'm not in the least bit trusting of lobbies. I expected someone to point me to ammo limits, ammo restrictions, or some other hindrance to the average sportsman.

Fear of the slippery slope? Take our assault rifles and our BB guns are next?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Contrary to what many believe rifles such as the AR-15 are widely used for hunting. They are considered underpowered (in .223) for deer and are actually banned for use in some places for that reason. The AR is very popular among coyote hunters. In fact several ar manufacturers market models specifically for coyotes. they generally have long barrels for increased accuracy and cammo finishes. They are also popular for groundhog, feral pigs and varmints in general. The AR is light, accurate and quick for followup shots. You don't need to put 30 rounds in them all the time. I'd assume most hunters just carry a few rounds in the gun to keep the weight down.
I had no idea. We are overrun with coyotes here (a taxidermied specimen lives here) and I've taken a couple wild .22 shots at two which were harrassing my ducks. I stay in the woods hiking, birdwatching, and taking photos. I've never heard more than two shots in sequence, and was unaware that anyone used auto or semi-auto weapons to varmit hunt.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I had no idea. We are overrun with coyotes here (a taxidermied specimen lives here) and I've taken a couple wild .22 shots at two which were harrassing my ducks. I stay in the woods hiking, birdwatching, and taking photos. I've never heard more than two shots in sequence, and was unaware that anyone used auto or semi-auto weapons to varmit hunt.
Google Image search for Hunting With AR-15s

Caution, lots of pictures of dead animals.

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-20-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Google Image search for Hunting With AR-15s

Caution, lots of pictures of dead animals.
Ah, darn it, forgot my friend in Tampa hunts feral hogs with these things. Thanks for the warning, but I know where food comes from and assume that more sensitive readers know better than to venture into threads about hunting. You've answered my question, thank you for taking the time. I asked the mods to close because I'm not interested in a debate. Thanks for being cool, River Hippie.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Also, ethical hunters and varmint hunters strive for quick, humane kills. That's why you have heard one or two shots. No sense burning expensive ammo on an animal that's already dead. Just because a gun can hold 10, 20, 30 rounds doesn't mean you have to shoot that many times or that you have to put that many in the magazine.

You're welcome, Troppus.

Last edited by River Hippie; 04-20-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Whether there WAS a ban or a proposed ban or not isn't relevant. There were RUMORS of such bans after Sandy Hook, which is all it takes.

You're asking an economics question here, and economics is based on human behaviour. People don't need actual legislation to think there MIGHT be legislation coming. That's all it takes to start a supply run.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Whether there WAS a ban or a proposed ban or not isn't relevant. There were RUMORS of such bans after Sandy Hook, which is all it takes.

You're asking an economics question here, and economics is based on human behaviour. People don't need actual legislation to think there MIGHT be legislation coming. That's all it takes to start a supply run.
It's kind of like when the weatherman forecasts there might be a really bad snow storm. Ever go to the supermarket that day? It's like Armageddon with people buying massive hoards of food and supplies. And it's not really rational, around these parts about the longest anyone's been snowed in in the last 50 years is a weekend...not exactly a reason to collect a massive food hoard.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It's kind of like when the weatherman forecasts there might be a really bad snow storm. Ever go to the supermarket that day? It's like Armageddon with people buying massive hoards of food and supplies. And it's not really rational, around these parts about the longest anyone's been snowed in in the last 50 years is a weekend...not exactly a reason to collect a massive food hoard.
I hear you, but the forecast is pretty reliable. I mean, we can all see the map. And at least two of the people I was speaking with are pretty bright, rational people and so I wondered what recent developments we had overlooked (having been preoccupied with the first year of our child's life).

As far as the flack I caught here for asking the question: the slippery slope argument is usually derided as the weakest, most baseless complaint, so I assumed there were concrete proposals to limit ammo. Since there isn't anything other than the assault rifle ban (did, or didn't go through?) I can safely assume that there aren't any pending proposals or restrictions on ammunition or other recreational/personal protection weapons, right? The hoarding mentality is based solely on rumor and innuendo, and the only people responsible for the empty shelves are the hoarders themselves? No government conspiracy to deprive gun owners of access or ammo?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM

There are no pending pieces of Federal legislation that would restrict ammunition nor is the government actively engaged in a process to purchase all private ammunition supplies to deny private purchasers the ability to buy ammunition.

As I linked to, there have been proposed state level legislation on types of ammunition that can legally be sold. There have also been articles and such in newspapers where individuals have advocated "ammunition control" as an alternative line of attack to gun control.

It seems the problem here is you're putting a lot of faith in two individuals and because of that you assumed there must be some clear cut ammunition banning legislation before Congress or well known policy of the government to buy up all the bullets. Like the majority of Americans it appears your two friends are reacting to things other than specifically proposed pieces of legislation. But no one can tell you what lead to them thinking this since that's an individual position those two persons came to on their own.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Follow-up question: Do the stock-pilers know they are entirely responsible for the empty shelves, or do they believe that "the government" is forcing manufacturers to limit production, or one of the other rumors? The conversation I was privy to last night quickly escalated and I split before asking why they were hoarding.
Just to answer this one portion, the people I know who believe the rumors and panic do indeed think the government is behind all this.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 PM

We were in Phoenix visiting an old service buddy of mine and while there he took me to Cabelas, ammo shelves were mostly empty, especially the .223 rounds. His observation especially in a rather gun friendly state was all folks need to hear is the Fed is thinking about gun control again.

I hear they hunt pigs with knives in the southeast....out west we tend to use higher calibers, personally a 7mmag 120 gr. spitzer is spot on. A quite popular round for varmint and coyotes alike, 220 swift, high velocity, flat shooting round.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Never underestimate the power of the email forwards that some people are so fond of. Some junior state senator somewhere proposes a fve dollar tax per bullet. Everyone that knows how legislation works understands that it will never go anywhere. All the same, a bazillion emails go out and are fowarded to "everyone you know!!!" saying "look, look what they are trying to do! They are proposing a five dollar per bullet tax!" Then people jump up and run to Walmart to stock up.

I can't link to one of those emails at the moment, people gradually learned not to send them to me anymore.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Also, is it ok to accuse someone of trolling outside the pit?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
It seems the problem here is you're putting a lot of faith in two individuals and because of that you assumed there must be some clear cut ammunition banning legislation before Congress or well known policy of the government to buy up all the bullets. Like the majority of Americans it appears your two friends are reacting to things other than specifically proposed pieces of legislation. But no one can tell you what lead to them thinking this since that's an individual position those two persons came to on their own.
Yes, I gathered that by now. Gave them too much credit and assumed they must have valid, legal, and political reasons for their actions and words. I came home and asked the husband if he had enough ammo for spring turkeys and the fall hunting season. He laughed it off and said "I only need as many bullets as tags."
Old 04-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila Party View Post
Also, is it ok to accuse someone of trolling outside the pit?
Probably not, but since the mods haven't done anything to deal with this thread then it's understandable.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoplight View Post
We were in Phoenix visiting an old service buddy of mine and while there he took me to Cabelas, ammo shelves were mostly empty, especially the .223 rounds. His observation especially in a rather gun friendly state was all folks need to hear is the Fed is thinking about gun control again.

I hear they hunt pigs with knives in the southeast....out west we tend to use higher calibers, personally a 7mmag 120 gr. spitzer is spot on. A quite popular round for varmint and coyotes alike, 220 swift, high velocity, flat shooting round.
Yes my understanding is that pigs are pretty tough. I've never shot one but if I wanted a clean kill on one I'm not sure I'd use a .223.
They are making ARs in a few different calibers now, mostly bigger and more powerful than the .223.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, I gathered that by now. Gave them too much credit and assumed they must have valid, legal, and political reasons for their actions and words. I came home and asked the husband if he had enough ammo for spring turkeys and the fall hunting season. He laughed it off and said "I only need as many bullets as tags."
Hunting doesn't use significant ammunition, I hunt several different things throughout the year and aside from a round here or there to keep the guns sighted in most hunters aren't going to fire more than 1-2 shots per kill. Many animals you hunt if you fire and miss the animal flees so quickly you can't get another good shot off (I only shoot when I'll get what I deem to be a lethal shot on the animal, so I wouldn't shoot at a fleeing deer even though I could definitely hit it--because I won't be able to guarantee a lethal shot.)

The people these ammo scares really hurt are the guys who just enjoy shooting at the range on the weekends, as they use a lot of ammo and it's a pain when you can't find any. I'm luckily not one of those people, but hoarders are annoying and stupid.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
None. There is no such thing as an assault rifle.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
None. There is no such thing as an assault rifle.
Elaborate.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Shotgun shells seem to be pretty easy to buy. I think most ammo hoarders do realize that no one's looking to ban them.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Magiver is incorrect. In military terms an assault rifle is a selective fire rifle with a detachable magazine, used as the main battle rifle for many armies since the 60s on. Selective fire means you can switch between automatic and semiautomatic fire modes as well as burst fire modes on some rifles.

Assault weapon on the other hand is a much vaguer term from the 1990s Assault Weapons Ban and subsequent debates that has less descriptive value.

Technically semiautomatic rifles civilians buy, even AR-15 variants and what have you would not be considered assault rifles in military terms because they are not selective fire. They only fire semiautomatic.
Closed Thread