Uncomfortable Auto Seat Headrests-Why?

I mean, some of these things actually tilt your head forward-extremely uncomfortable. Why is this? I remember the SAAB cars of the 1970’s had cage-like headrests-they were a good design 9they didn’t block your backwards vision. Why were these abandoned?

New anti-whiplash regulations. If you’re having trouble sleeping, read the rule here.

As I understand it, the regulations can be met through active or passive means. The passive ones are like you mention - closer to the head. The active ones use some mechanism (springs, etc) to move closer to the head in the even of a rear collision.

My issue with ‘ergonomic’ car seating is the issue … my back goes innie when the seat is an outie, and vice verse. The little roller thingy that is supposed to be lumbar support in pretty much every car I have driven simply does not adjust to where it would do me any good. I use a small pink pillow I stole from my Mom’s house as lumbar support.

I’ve seen these new head rests that look like they’d actually tip your head DOWN if you conformed your head to it. They look incredibly uncomfortable. I’d imagine they’d have opposite the intended effect and people would just straight up remove them.

This is coming from someone who religiously adjusts his headrest to a proper position.

You’re not supposed to rest your head on the headrest - that’s not what it’s there for. At least, that’s what I was taught.

I agree with this assertion, but these headrests are so angled that the top edge looks like it would contact your head even in a normal seated position! I personally would go batty leaning forward to avoid that, hence my statement that more people than usual would be inclined to simply remove them.

I’m not sure of the best way to search for an image, but they kind of look like this:
(rear) |_/ (front)

I agree with the OP, but for a different reason. I’m only 5’0". Short, but not extremely short.
Car seats are designed for taller people so no matter how low I adjust the headrest, it falls in the wrong place. It leaves a huge gap behind my neck and pushes my head forward. There’s no way to avoid the headrest, it’s always in the way!

I also have a problem with the seatbelt. At its lowest position goes right across my neck, ready to strangle me in an accident.

They do force your head forward and down. They are maddeningly uncomfortable. I was shopping for a new vehicle 2 years ago, and the level of discomfort seemed to vary a bit between brands, but none of them would allow me to sit up straight. Ford seemed the worst, Toyota the best.

After getting the new vehicle home, I removed mine and reconfigured them by a combination of reversing the mount, and liberal application of a pipebending tool. I (and my passenger) can now sit comfortably.

Apparently, I lean the seat back just enough that me sitting straight takes my shoulders and head away from the back of the seat enough for it not to be an issue. Unless my hair is in a clip. Having my hair clip stab me in the back of the head every time I forget not to move my head one inch backwards is indescribably frustrating.

My headrests are height adjustable. While adjusting, I realized that hey were removable. I removed them, but put them back in for state inspections.

Same here. It shouldn’t be called a headrest. It’s a device to help you against getting whiplash in the event of a crash. Mercedes actually have a headrest “airbag” thing that pops out in the event of a crash; otherwise it just kind of stays out of your way.

The headrest ( at least in my car) are adjustable, up and down, as well as the fore and aft tilt.
Did you have it tilted forward too far?

That deserves a :eek: . I think I’d rather take out my seat belts than the head rests. Maybe not, but it’s close. In an accident you’re hurtled forward and then bounce backwards; the headrest is there so you don’t end up staring out the rear window with your neck wrapped over the top of your seatback.
As for the OP’s question, the idea of an uncomfortable headrest doesn’t make sense to me. In the cars I’ve regularly driven my head never comes close to the headrest, so how can it be uncomfortable. What am I missing?

I understand your point, but I’m driving 25 mph back-roads and the lack of headrests allows my passenger seat to fold forward fully, as well as making my seat more comfy.

I think that the problem with very uncomfortable safety equipment is that the user will try to adjust or remove it. In this process, the user will put him/herself at risk. However, since the user is generally not at a high risk for an accident, the discomfort caused by the safety equipment might very well increase the chances of an accident, if it’s left in place.

And count me as another person who is short and can’t use the shoulder harness effectively. It hits me in the wrong spot! If I’m in a crash, that thing is going to do more harm than good. The aftermarket adjusters are expensive and ineffective. If I put on my seatbelt at all, I put the shoulder harness behind me, so that I can move around a bit, turn in my seat to look behind me, and generally not get strangled. Things might have changed since I took driver’s ed, but I was taught to turn halfway around to look behind me, and not to rely completely on the rear view mirror and side mirrors.

Brilliant. Never thought to adjust angle of steel supports. Will do so this week.

Wow, you really *are *short!

Take very heavy duty hair scrunchie, the kind that are about like a small bungee cord. Sit in seat of car, grasp the belt so the strap is lined up and slide doubled scrunchie over the metal tab so that it will hold both layers of the belt together like one of the aftermarket thingies.
Insert metal tab into receiver, slide scrunchie left [in the US] or right [in the UK] as appropriate to make the belt not try and strangle you as you drive. [OK, or sit in a passenger seat.]

I hate the headrests on my 2012 Honda Odyssey. Especially since I have neck problems, and no human neck should be in the position they require for longer than a few moments. My solution is to use a small cushion behind my mid-back so that my head just barely brushes the headrest. And like SeaDragonTattoo, I can’t wear a clip or hair sticks.

For the super-petite problem with seat belts, if you’re less than 120 pounds, you could try a booster seat! (Actually, I’m sure there are all kinds of disclaimers and warnings about using it in the driver’s seat, but they should totally make them for short grownups to use when driving!)

Funny you should mention it. My SIL and I just rented a Ford Focus for our vacation, and we both mentioned how uncomfortable the headrests were. They thrust our heads forward. Too bad it’s so hard to find phone books anymore, cause I sure could have used on.